(Topic ID: 71115)

Rock tumbler or virbrating polisher for cleaning metal parts?

By Dommer

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cmack750
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20140225_153241.jpg
    NB after.jpg
    NB before.jpg
    100_3817.jpg
    DSCN1694.JPG
    DSCN1695.JPG
    20140103_180040.jpg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

as far as any media "enhancer" like flitz, I typically add about an ounce worth

When using flitz in a vibrating tumbler are folks using the liquid or mixing in a dollop of the paste?

From Flitz Product FAQ's

About Flitz Polish :

What is the difference between the Paste (tube/can) and the Liquid (bottle)?
    Besides consistency, the paste has the most concentration of cleaning power. The paste also has an added ingredient for longer lasting protection. This protection will keep your shine the longest.

The liquid is not as concentrated as the paste, but will give you comparable polishing results on most surfaces. The protection will not last as long as the paste, but it will last longer than most other liquids on the market today.

#52 5 years ago

I'm using the liquid. additionally, I'm using the flitz media additive, not the metal polish

I shake the bottle good before squeezing in a couple of rings of it into the bowl, turn it on [without any parts in it] and let it "blend" into the media for about 30 seconds and then add your parts to tumble.

the gallon sized container is the best value per ounce, however if you don't expect to tumble a lot of parts, then the next best value is the box of (6) 16-oz containers

4 years later
    #53 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I use a nylon lock wing nut, and it has never come loose.

For those who want to know, since it took be a while to track this down: the 5lb Harbor Freight tumbler uses a M6 wing nut to secure the lid. Finding anyone who sells Locking Wing Nuts these days is next to impossible, unless you buy a bunch and want to pay way more for shipping than you pay for the nut.

Instead, just buy a regular nylon insert M6 nut (pretty much anywhere for a few cents) and then pick up an Innovative Components Snap Lock Star Knob for M6 Size (1 3/8 diameter star). You can snap the nut right into it and have instant hand removal capability and the piece of mind that the nut won't shake loose and damage the tumbler or shoot dust everywhere.

You can get these online for relatively cheap, and you can pick them up directly from Grainger for just over a buck.

#54 1 year ago

their 18lb tumbler is a lot better built and has this feature already. it runs a lot quieter too, however it is 3x the cost of the 5lb tumbler

#55 1 year ago

I hear you. Since I just dropped about 600 bucks on Leds, cliffys, plastic protectors, parts, hardware, paint, bondo, Sandpaper, evaporust, grease, media, polish and anything else under the sun, I had to draw the line SOMEWHERE.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 28.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Various Novelties
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 295.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    liorillusion
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Singer Pinball Designs
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside