IMG_9892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9887 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9890 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9891 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9888 (resized).jpeg
592e8d0566c7328973f283eb9c90377d229015a6-1 (resized).jpg
IMG_9345 (resized).JPG
20240220_180156 (resized).jpg
There are 1,353 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 28.
#351 8 years ago

I recently picked-up a Rollergames. Love the game and it plays great, but some of the flash lamps aren't working. When I run the solenoid test there is a click, but no flash on Flash 1/C side, Flash 2/C side, and Flash 8/C side. Also, with Flash 10 (Insert GI) there is no noise or flash. Basically, all the flashers at the top work (except two on the back left corner), but none of the lower flashers work (such as the flashers by the in-lanes) and none of the flashers under the playfield work. I changed all the bulbs and checked all the fuses, but no change. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

#352 8 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

I changed all the bulbs and checked all the fuses, but no change.

Did you use LED's for replacements? I know on mine, they don't work in one position, but if you flip them they work.

#353 8 years ago

I have a metal post with a rubber ring at the end of my upper flipper as shown in the picture. Can someone tell me if the post at the end of the upper flipper is supposed to be sleeved rubber or just a bare metal post. I'm assuming that the white ring isn't supposed to be there. Can someone take a picture of theirs?

2016-01-18_15.40.47_(resized).jpg2016-01-18_15.40.47_(resized).jpg

#354 8 years ago

I'll take a pic tonight but I'm pretty sure mine is a sleeved rubber

#355 8 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

I recently picked-up a Rollergames. Love the game and it plays great, but some of the flash lamps aren't working. When I run the solenoid test there is a click, but no flash on Flash 1/C side, Flash 2/C side, and Flash 8/C side. Also, with Flash 10 (Insert GI) there is no noise or flash. Basically, all the flashers at the top work (except two on the back left corner), but none of the lower flashers work (such as the flashers by the in-lanes) and none of the flashers under the playfield work. I changed all the bulbs and checked all the fuses, but no change. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Check connector J4 and make sure it is seated properly. I would check the AC relay for the coils in question and relay boards. Make sure the connectors are plugged in, etc.
Flash 10/11 operate off of the same board. When you tested the fuses did you test them in circuit or pulled out? Just checking as many test fuses while they are in circuit and often get faulty readings. This sounds a lot like either a relay board issues or a fuse.

Make sure a wire has not become broken from one of the lamps causing the chain to go down.

#356 8 years ago

I have a Rollergames for sale if anyone is looking in the Houston area.

#357 8 years ago

Just a metal post on mine

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#358 8 years ago

Stretch7, Actually the ball gate is even different.

#359 8 years ago

I guess a metal post is correct. The gate does look different though. I wonder if there were different version of the game with different posts in this position.

Thanks!

#360 8 years ago

Just a metal post on mine as well.

#361 8 years ago

hmm interesting... can anyone else chime in as to what kind of gate they have?

#362 8 years ago

Metal post with rubber sleeve

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#363 8 years ago

Thanks for everyone's input on the flashers. I kept non-LED bulbs in the flashers (changed the inserts though to LEDs). Also, checked the fuses pulled out and they all checked fine (continuity), as did the connectors. No luck. Going to check the wires one night this week when I have more time. Last time I checked it seemed like the black and orange wires were going to the flashers, but I didn't trace them all the way for any not being connected. On another note, my metal post by the top flipper is just metal (no rubber sleeve). My rubber ring kit came with sleeves for the metal posts, and I was able to put them on all my metal posts except for the one by the flipper since it was thicker then the other posts (so the rubber sleeve wouldn't fit over the post).

#364 8 years ago

What number flashers are down? Can you give me a list?

Orange IIRC are flashers 1-8 and run off of fuse F2C located and come off of the 25V line on the on the aux board.
I had a similar problem. I'll review my notes and refresh my brain tomorrow.

Maybe check the BR for that line if the entire line is down.

#365 8 years ago

In test mode, Flashers 1, 2, 8, 9, and 10 don't work. For Flash 1, 2, and 8, I hear the solenoid click (in test mode) but no flash. I believe these are the two flashers at the top of the Wall of Death since Flash 3 is nearby and it works. Flash 9 (no label in solenoid test mode so no idea what it does) and Flash 10 (Insert GI in solenoid test mode) don't make a click or flash. Except for one flasher close to the S by the SKATE targets, none of the other flashers on or under the playfield work (plus the two I mentioned at the top of the Wall that also don't work). Flash 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 11 all work, as does 12 (A/C select clicks in test mode). Thanks for reviewing your notes. Appreciate it.

#366 8 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Metal post with rubber sleeve

image_(resized).jpeg

This is the correct setup. Should have the rubber sleeve on metal post. That's how mine is setup, and that's the only way I've ever seen them.

#367 8 years ago

Mine is just a metal post on the left, although it looks like at one point it may have had a rubber ring on it (see the black lines in the middle). It was this way when I got the game.

Upper_Flipper_Post_(resized).jpgUpper_Flipper_Post_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#368 8 years ago

Still having problems with some of my flashers. Changed fuses, checked connectors, and swapped the relays behind in the back box with the one under the playfield. No change. Some just aren't getting power. All have an orange and a black wire going to them. Need to try and trace those wires but so far get lost trying to do so. Anyone know whether they are all connected to the boards with one connector, or more connectors, and which connector(s)? Thanks for helping me try and solve this mystery.

#369 8 years ago

I had a flasher problem on my Rollergames which turned out to be two connectors swapped over on the interconnect board.

Both are the same size with the same key. Worth just checking against the manual.

I believe flash 9 is for the early production games with the flashers in the backboard so if you don't have these you won't get anything on this test.

#370 8 years ago

Anyone have issues with there VUK working off and on? or, should I say sometimes the ball makes it all the way through the habitrail and to the magnet, and sometimes it goes up to the corner of the habitrail and right back into the VUK. Sometimes more than once. Eventually it will fire the ball freely to the magnet, but by then the magnet is off. Maybe 50% of the time it gets cleanly to the magnet. Checked everything, and everything seems fine. Realigned the habitrail over the VUK etc. No change. Coil works fine. ?????

#371 8 years ago

Bodhi - Keep trying with the alignment of the habitrail. That was an issue with my machine, but once I got it right it works 100% of the time. Just being off a little can make a huge difference.

Andy_B. - Thanks for the tip. I'll check the connectors and see if any are swapped. Everything else seems fine and most of the flashers work (All except Flashers 1 and 2 on the top left corner of The Wall, plus the ones under the playfield don't work either), but I'm open to trying things to fix the problem.

#372 8 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

Still having problems with some of my flashers. Changed fuses, checked connectors, and swapped the relays behind in the back box with the one under the playfield. No change. Some just aren't getting power. All have an orange and a black wire going to them. Need to try and trace those wires but so far get lost trying to do so. Anyone know whether they are all connected to the boards with one connector, or more connectors, and which connector(s)? Thanks for helping me try and solve this mystery.

Those relay boards you mentioned in the backbox and under the playfield are for GI lights, not flashers.
Have you tried swapping some of the working flasher bulbs out of the backbox with the ones not working in the playfield?

#373 8 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

Bodhi - Keep trying with the alignment of the habitrail. That was an issue with my machine, but once I got it right it works 100% of the time. Just being off a little can make a huge difference.

Thanks for the tip, but I think it's more than that, maybe. I've adjusted the habitrail about every which way and then some. I'll tinker some more when time permits. Maybe try a couple washers to raise or lower it a bit or?

#374 8 years ago

Anyone every have the upper right flipper not be able to get the ball up the wall ramp from the magnet? I just replaced my flipper rubber from a superband to a titan band and now most of the time, when the ball is held by the magnet, it just hits the right side of the wall ramp entrance. The flipper looks adjusted properly, not sure what to look at next. It worked 90% of the time before the change. Any tips?

#375 8 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Anyone every have the upper right flipper not be able to get the ball up the wall ramp from the magnet? I just replaced my flipper rubber from a superband to a titan band and now most of the time, when the ball is held by the magnet, it just hits the right side of the wall ramp entrance. The flipper looks adjusted properly, not sure what to look at next. It worked 90% of the time before the change. Any tips?

go back to the old style rubber? I would hate to say start moving that magnet up and down, Heard it can be a real PITA to adjust.

#376 8 years ago

I tried swapping the working flasher bulbs with those that weren't working and no difference. In looking at the manual Flash 1 and Flash 2 (which don't work for me) seem to be the two at the top of the ramp, plus the flasher bulb under the ramp of the Atomic Whip and the two flashers by the flipper in-lanes. All the other flashers at the top of the game, and the one by the SKATE targets work. All the connectors on the Interconnect Board seem to be in the right place and except for these flashers everything else in the game works great. I'm stumped.

#377 8 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Anyone have issues with there VUK working off and on? or, should I say sometimes the ball makes it all the way through the habitrail and to the magnet, and sometimes it goes up to the corner of the habitrail and right back into the VUK. Sometimes more than once. Eventually it will fire the ball freely to the magnet, but by then the magnet is off. Maybe 50% of the time it gets cleanly to the magnet. Checked everything, and everything seems fine. Realigned the habitrail over the VUK etc. No change. Coil works fine. ?????

I'm currently having this exact issue myself. What is the habit trail?

#378 8 years ago

The habitrail by the VUK is the metal contraption in the center of the playfield that the ball follows after the VUK kicks the ball up. It's yellow on my game but on some games it isn't painted (just chrome). If it isn't aligned just right then the ball can hit it while traveling up, which can cause it to come back down onto the VUK (or what the game calls "The Pit"). Mine looked like it was aligned, but I had to keep adjusting it until it was just right for it to work 100% of the time (and I used a washer on one of the posts by the VUC). I think it's trial and error to get it right. If the ball pops up but doesn't seem to hit anything (although if it is just scrapping the habitrail it can be hard to tell other than it doesn't always make it around the bend), then I guess something else is going on with the game.

#379 8 years ago

Here is a picture of the habitrail over the VUK. It's the yellow metal piece in the center. As I mentioned in my earlier post, on some games it isn't painted yellow (just metal/chrome).

Rollergames_Playfield_(resized).JPGRollergames_Playfield_(resized).JPG

#380 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply. My habitrail is chrome and will check out the alignment once I get back from work.

#381 8 years ago

Sorry to be asking again, but the weekend is almost here and that is when I have the time to work on my game. Anyone have any additional suggestions on getting my flashers at Flash 1 and Flash 2 to work (those are the left two at the top of the ramp, as well as most on the playfield, including the two by the flipper in-lanes). I've checked the connections at the boards, changed fuses, and changed the bulbs, but no luck. All I can see is that ever flasher, whether it works or not, seems to have a black and an orange wire soldered to it, but why some work and others don't remains a mystery to me. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, and for any new ones that anyone has.

#382 8 years ago

Hey, sorry I have been out sick for a week or so. I'll go and take a look at my machine now. So as it stands

"Flashers 1, 2, 8, 9, and 10 don't work. For Flash 1, 2, and 8, I hear the solenoid click (in test mode) but no flash."

Is the writing harness that goes to your ramp plugged in? IIRC mine had a molex or two. I'll go and have a look at my machine now.

#383 8 years ago

Flasher 1 is the 1X on the lower playfield and is connected to the lamp board (see pic), Flasher 2 is top two left flashers on the wall (see pic), 10 is the insert illumination relay-when this clicks over your back box should flash on, 8 are your PF flashers (outlines and such)
Flasher One
unnamed-9_(resized).jpgunnamed-9_(resized).jpg

Flasher 2

unnamed-7_(resized).jpgunnamed-7_(resized).jpg

#384 8 years ago

For 10 I would reflow the connectors on the relay board. This is a known problem on these machines. If you can't do that swap it with a tested and working relay board.

Edit: Did you check the 4 fuses on the interconnect board? They are kind of hidden by all of the wiring harnesses and often get missed. Most folks just check the aux and PS. The fuses on the inter connect control the lamps in question (GI and BB).

I'll do some more digging on the PF flashers.

For Flasher one check the seating and wiring harness. Those stupid twist and lock outlets suck.

unnamed-10_(resized).jpgunnamed-10_(resized).jpg

#385 8 years ago

Any suggestions for a battery mod for RG? I caught one in time with minor damage to the battery holder, but was looking for some alternatives besides replacing that battery holder board.

#386 8 years ago
Quoted from datafry:

Any suggestions for a battery mod for RG? I caught one in time with minor damage to the battery holder, but was looking for some alternatives besides replacing that battery holder board.

NVRAM. no batteries no longer required.

#387 8 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

I tried swapping the working flasher bulbs with those that weren't working and no difference. In looking at the manual Flash 1 and Flash 2 (which don't work for me) seem to be the two at the top of the ramp, plus the flasher bulb under the ramp of the Atomic Whip and the two flashers by the flipper in-lanes. All the other flashers at the top of the game, and the one by the SKATE targets work. All the connectors on the Interconnect Board seem to be in the right place and except for these flashers everything else in the game works great. I'm stumped.

Did you check all your fuses on your auxiliary board (far right board in the backbox) ??

#388 8 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Did you check the 4 fuses on the interconnect board?

These are not for any flashers. These are for the left, right, and back playfield GI lamps and for the Backbox GI lamps. Not related at all to the flashers.

#389 8 years ago

Thanks for the help and photos. Now I know which flashes go to Flash 1, Flash 2, and Flash 8! All fuses (interconnect and aux board) checked and have continuity (just recently replaced them all, but also pulled them out to double-check). Will investigate further this weekend when I have more free time. I'm hoping I don't have to look under the Ramp. I lifted it off once when I changed all the rubber rings, but I hate to move it out of fear that something will go wrong as other than some of the flashers the game plays great. Did I mention how I hate this electrical stuff (give me a flipper to rebuild, change a coil, change a target or switch and I'm happy).

#390 8 years ago

Sadly I can't find any of my photos from when I tore my PF down. I know I had a couple of the ramp. It might be worth posting a tech help or wanted pic of wall ramp wiring thread in the main section to see if anyone has a few photos. Seems odd that only two of the 8 flashers up top are out.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried cleaning the fuse connectors with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Unless I am reading it incorrectly 8/10 should run off of fuses that are on that interconnect board. It seems odd that both would be down simultaneously like that.

I will be home working on putting my SoF PF back together this weekend. I can snap pics and trace back anything that you need just let me know.

I don't know off of the top of my head, someone here may know, but you may be able to swap the relay board underneath the PF and the one in the back box to test out solenoid 10. I would clean the fuse connectors first though.

#391 8 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Sadly I can't find any of my photos from when I tore my PF down. I know I had a couple of the ramp. It might be worth posting a tech help or wanted pic of wall ramp wiring thread in the main section to see if anyone has a few photos. Seems odd that only two of the 8 flashers up top are out.

This is a good point.

nicknack66, did these flashers ever work for you? If so, did they not work after shopping out the game? If so, you likely may not had connected something.

#392 8 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Just out of curiosity, have you tried cleaning the fuse connectors with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Unless I am reading it incorrectly 8/10 should run off of fuses that are on that interconnect board. It seems odd that both would be down simultaneously like that.

Yes it is true the flashers go through the interconnect board, but the fuses are only for the GI lamps.

Possibilities...
If the flashers are connected under the playfield, then
--bad transistors for both flash bulbs
--broken wire from the MPU to interconnect board
--bad trace within the interconnect board
--bad wire from the interconnect going out to the playfield to the flash lamps

#393 8 years ago

Thanks for the additional info. I appreciate you all trying to help me out. I know it is not easy via postings versus actually seeing the machine. When I got the game these particular flashers never worked. Originally I thought just the bulbs were bad, but I've since changed them all (and also swapped out ones that worked elsewhere but that didn't fix anything). I've also already tried switching the relays. I'm going to try the Q-tip with alcohol on the fuses to see if that does anything. I'm also going to try and trace the wiring (I believe all the flashers, whether under the Ramp or under the playfield have the black and orange wires going to them) and if I see anything out of the ordinary will take some photos (will probably just take a lot of photos since maybe someone will see something that I miss). Maybe I'll find a loose or broken wire somewhere. Where are the transistors for the flash bulbs and can I test them while they are connected to the board? If it's a bad or broken wire I can probably fix that myself. If it's a bad trace within the interconnect board (and I have no idea how to even test for that other than visually looking for a break), then that's beyond my abilities (I can solder the wires under the playfield, but I won't touch the boards (which may also be an issue if one of the transistors are bad). Looks like I have some work cut out for me this weekend.

#394 8 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

Thanks for the additional info. I appreciate you all trying to help me out. I know it is not easy via postings versus actually seeing the machine.

Speaking of which, would you mind taking a picture of the boards in the backbox? Include the wiring connections all along the edges of the boards as well.

#395 8 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

I'm also going to try and trace the wiring (I believe all the flashers, whether under the Ramp or under the playfield have the black and orange wires going to them) and if I see anything out of the ordinary will take some photos (will probably just take a lot of photos since maybe someone will see something that I miss). Maybe I'll find a loose or broken wire somewhere.

Yes. This is a good idea. You do though need to know which transistors.

Quoted from nicknack66:

Where are the transistors for the flash bulbs and can I test them while they are connected to the board?

I will have to look that up a bit later if no one beats me to it. Flasher bulbs/transistor # is in the same chart as the solenoids (coils)/transistor #.

#396 8 years ago

The switching solenoids (solenoids) 1-8 the flasher transistor is the same as its mate. So if the mate is firing then the transistor should be ok. For example Flash 1C and Solenoid 1A outhole kicker both run off of Q33, Flash and Solenoid 2A/C run off of Q25, etc, etc

Solenoid 10 the backbone relay runs off of Q17

I feel like there are very simple explanations for 1, 2, and 10 it's just a matter of checking some connections and reflowing some connectors. When you say your Flasher 8 is out, do you mean that nothing top or bottom flashes during that test?

#397 8 years ago

When I run the solenoid test there is a click but no flash anywhere for Flash 1, 2, or 8 (Flash 3-7 all work, as does everything else in the game). I didn't lift up the ramp tonight, but looking under the playfield all the wires to the flash bulbs look intact and soldered on (and when I had the ramp up last time there were black and orange wires to the flash lamps that didn't work). Connectors to the board look okay (nothing looks visually burnt). I did notice 2 loose red wires coming out of the connector at J9 on the Interconnect board at pin 4 and 6 (and there is no wire at pin 5) that go no where (they just stop about 4 inches after leaving the connector - not sure if they serve a purpose and my flashers all seem to have orange and black wires to them (not red)). I've attached photos of the boards (and can obviously take more photos if a close up of something would be helpful). Maybe someone will spot something that looks off. Thanks.

IMGP1794_(resized).JPGIMGP1794_(resized).JPG

IMGP1793_(resized).JPGIMGP1793_(resized).JPG

IMGP1792_(resized).JPGIMGP1792_(resized).JPG

IMGP1791_(resized).JPGIMGP1791_(resized).JPG

IMGP1790_(resized).JPGIMGP1790_(resized).JPG

IMGP1788_(resized).JPGIMGP1788_(resized).JPG

IMGP1787_(resized).JPGIMGP1787_(resized).JPG

IMGP1786_(resized).JPGIMGP1786_(resized).JPG

IMGP1785_(resized).JPGIMGP1785_(resized).JPG

IMGP1784_(resized).JPGIMGP1784_(resized).JPG

#398 8 years ago

Please see my earlier post for details, but these photos are probably clearer.

IMGP1785_(resized).JPGIMGP1785_(resized).JPG

IMGP1786_(resized).JPGIMGP1786_(resized).JPG

IMGP1784_(resized).JPGIMGP1784_(resized).JPG

IMGP1787_(resized).JPGIMGP1787_(resized).JPG

IMGP1788_(resized).JPGIMGP1788_(resized).JPG

IMGP1790_(resized).JPGIMGP1790_(resized).JPG

IMGP1791_(resized).JPGIMGP1791_(resized).JPG

IMGP1792_(resized).JPGIMGP1792_(resized).JPG

IMGP1793_(resized).JPGIMGP1793_(resized).JPG

IMGP1794_(resized).JPGIMGP1794_(resized).JPG

IMGP1795_(resized).JPGIMGP1795_(resized).JPG

IMGP1796_(resized).JPGIMGP1796_(resized).JPG

IMGP1798_(resized).JPGIMGP1798_(resized).JPG

IMGP1799_(resized).JPGIMGP1799_(resized).JPG

IMGP1800_(resized).JPGIMGP1800_(resized).JPG

#399 8 years ago

Did you try swapping out the socket for Flasher 1 with one of the other two? Those twist sockets can be temperamental. Sometimes just flipping em over will work.

Is 10 working now or is that still not working?

#400 8 years ago

I can try swapping out the socket for Flash 1, but none of the flashers in that lamp board (i.e. 1X, 2X, and 4X work). Actually none of the flashers under the playfield work. If Flash 10 is the lights in the backbox then I got that to work (I read that I needed to connect one brown wire to J-11, position 6 on the interconnect board and now my backbox lights flash on/off with game play). Does Flash 1, 2, and 8 all connect to the boards via the same connectors? I feel like it is a power issue where the game isn't sending power to those flash bulbs. I don't think it's a broken wire (everything looks fine plus it's multiple flashers - Flash 1, 2, and 8), but something going on either behind the boards (which I won't be able to fix and I don't want to pull all my boards out) or something with one or more connectors that send the signal to those flashers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 1,353 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rock-rock-rockin-rollergames-club/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.