(Topic ID: 204728)

Rock-ola Big Game (1935)

By JimMcL

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

newl (resized).jpg
    IMG_6790 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6793(1) (resized).jpg
    IMG_6791 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6770 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6771 (resized).jpg
    BigGame_Schematic (resized).png
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2175 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2620 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2618 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2617 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2619 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2615 (resized).JPG
    20171210_122210 (resized).jpg
    20171210_122202 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

HI, I just acquired a 1935 Rock-ola Big Game in IMMACULATE condition (photos to come). Do you own one???? I cannot find any evidence of another Big Game anywhere.

Or, are you interested in purchasing it? Rock-ola''s are so thinly bought/sold, I have no idea of its value.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated! Jim

#2 6 years ago

Hi Jim,

I have a 1935? Rockola Big Bank Night...Both are games are likely Rare!

look forward to a pic to see the similarities, and differences.

I find Rockola to be ahead of the curve in the middle 30s, but not as Popular as Bally, and Genco.

Sure, Id like to own one, so would Jim nearby....he is amassing a nice 30s collection he brought to Freeplay.

You should have a line of people for it....

#3 6 years ago

20171210_122824 (resized).jpg20171210_122824 (resized).jpg

20171210_122142 (resized).jpg20171210_122142 (resized).jpg

20171210_122511 (resized).jpg20171210_122511 (resized).jpg

20171210_122202 (resized).jpg20171210_122202 (resized).jpg

20171210_122210 (resized).jpg20171210_122210 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

You got a beauty!

If you get into the game, perhaps you can share a picture of the unique innovation Rockola added to this game!

Instead of a Bell, which was a New Feature in 1934, when a Rifle shot was made here, there is suppose to be some kind of metal "whip snap"
    to sound like the crack of a shotgun on the game!

Big Game hunting was still a Fashionable, Respectable, "Sport"...often attached to the Media attention to Teddy Roosevelt.

Must of scared quite a few people back then!

Its different in every way than the big bank nite I have.

I wonder if yours was ever offered in a payout version?
    Mine was, although I dont have one built with the mech.
    Not even sure if any existed..It was a debate with Dick Beuschel ages ago.

Hope you enjoy it!...First one Ive seen!

#6 6 years ago

That is an awesome looking machine. Nice find.

#7 6 years ago

Cool game I have one as well and IMG_2620 (resized).JPGIMG_2620 (resized).JPGalso a Bomber which has the same gunshot sound. Both of mine haven't been restored to working condition yet. Oldpinguy can you post pictures of the big bank night? The EM Rockola's aren't as collectible as the PMs but they are a lot rarer. There is a video of the Bomber on youtube.

IMG_2615 (resized).JPGIMG_2615 (resized).JPG

IMG_2619 (resized).JPGIMG_2619 (resized).JPG

IMG_2617 (resized).JPGIMG_2617 (resized).JPG

IMG_2618 (resized).JPGIMG_2618 (resized).JPG

IMG_2175 (resized).JPGIMG_2175 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from jfried1399:

Cool game I have one as well and also a Bomber which has the same gunshot sound. Both of mine haven't been restored to working condition yet. Oldpinguy can you post pictures of the big bank night? The EM Rockola's aren't as collectible as the PMs but they are a lot rarer. There is a video of the Bomber on youtube.

Getting off topic a bit, but thanks for posting a Rockola Screamo picture. I have a one-of-these-days project, the Pepto-Bismol Pink version of Screamo, a repainted cabinet.

#9 6 years ago

That's funny. Really a neat game and I think may be the first true bingo game although not sure that's a good distinction. BTW I'm on the lookout for a Rockola Pleasure Island if anyone has one for sale.

IMG_0078 (resized).JPGIMG_0078 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from jfried1399:

Oldpinguy can you post pictures of the big bank night? The EM Rockola's aren't as collectible as the PMs but they are a lot rarer. There is a video of the Bomber on youtube.

Might take a couple months...Its buried under stuff as our house is a mess from the Hurricane, but will do.......

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from jfried1399:

BTW I'm on the lookout for a Rockola Pleasure Island if anyone has one for sale.

lol arnt we all!!!

--Jeff

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from jfried1399:

may be the first true bingo game although not sure that's a good distinction.

That layout looks like great fun compared to the other proto-bingo games. Thank you for sharing. I had not seen that one before!

PAMCO's Lite-A-Line has it beat by a few months, but Screamo looks more fun to play.

#13 6 years ago

Criss Cross a Lite is a great game as well and very similar.

2 weeks later
    #14 6 years ago

Speaking of Big Bank Night. One of the big box machines. I have a flashlight in a similar box.

ebay.com link: Antique 1 cent 1931 Collector Arcade Pinball Machine BIG BANK NITE VGC

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from jfried1399:

Speaking of Big Bank Night. One of the big box machines. I have a flashlight in a similar box.
    ebay.com link » Antique 1 Cent 1931 Collector Arcade Pinball Machine Big Bank Nite Vgc

Saw this ebay listing....First Ive ever seen other than the one I own, in 45 years!

#16 6 years ago

It's amazing how they keep coming out of the woodwork. Really the combination of ebay/craigslist/internet in general and millions of garages/basements/attics/barns

1 year later
    #17 4 years ago

Jumping in to this old thread to say that these machines are all beautiful. I can't believe I can stumble into a 1930s thread and still find so many machines I hadn't known about before.

2 years later
    #19 2 years ago

Heres a schematic for this game or as close as were gonna get

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/4d/f4/82/07094b512beec9/US2103870.pdf

BigGame_Schematic (resized).pngBigGame_Schematic (resized).png
    10 months later
    #20 1 year ago

I just dug up this old thread. I am waiting on some more pictures, but a friend just sent me a pic of a Rock-ola Pleasure Island. I realize its way premature to ask, but what kind of money are these worth? I know condition and completeness are key. From the 1/4 of the machine I see, it may be in decent condition. Its dirty but it doesn't look worn out... I'm hoping to get some better pics in the next day. I don't know if its a little dollar machine or a big dollar machine.

#21 1 year ago

I think you can count the number of known '34 Rock-ola Pleasure Islands on one hand.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

I think you can count the number of known '34 Rock-ola Pleasure Islands on one hand.

Interesting.. I'll get some better pictures tomorrow with some better ideas. The glass is broken in one corner. Here are 2 pics the guy sent me. He is going back tomorrow with some light and get some better pictures.

IMG_6770 (resized).jpgIMG_6770 (resized).jpgIMG_6771 (resized).jpgIMG_6771 (resized).jpg
    #23 1 year ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

Interesting.. I'll get some better pictures tomorrow with some better ideas. The glass is broken in one corner. Here are 2 pics the guy sent me. He is going back tomorrow with some light and get some better pictures.[quoted image][quoted image]

Holy shit that's an amazing find! Yeah there's only like 2 or 3 other known copies? It's just an art swap, but an ultra rareone and world's series is one of the greatest games from the 30s.
    Rescue it please please please

#24 1 year ago

Buy it. It's rarer than hens teeth. I couldn't even begin to estimate pricing but as a comp. Rockola Army navy has 34 known examples and restored ones go for 16k

I would be interested in buying this

#25 1 year ago

No no sell it to meeeeeeeeee *opens wallet and a small family of squirrels runs out*

#26 1 year ago

The interesting part is that it's In the silver green worlds series cab. Frank did one in a red color that he thought was original. I dunno what Nates cab looks like. Looks like and the pieces that Jonathan found in big game give no clue as to the cab.

#27 1 year ago

Wow.. I didn't expect this much interest.. I spoke to my friend and he is going back tomorrow for another look and get some better info and pics. From what I've gathered, the owner does want to sell it. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow when I get them and figure out a game plan to get it to the right person. I've gotten a few PM's already about it and I appreciate it. Once we figure out what it is completely we will figure out the next step.

Since there is soo much interest in this - What can we do to not damage it while checking it out? I asked him to try to wipe the playfield a bit if he can get the glass off, otherwise I asked him to clean the glass and take some pics. For those interested, any specific pics, info, etc that he can look at. My friend isn't a pinball guy, he stumbled on this. I'd love to put my hands on this at some point, but I have no idea what to look for either.

#28 1 year ago

See if your friend can take a picture inside from the coin door. Might give an indication if all parts are there. AFAIK aside from the playfield this will use standard Worlds Series parts of which some are available if needed

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

Wow.. I didn't expect this much interest.. I spoke to my friend and he is going back tomorrow for another look and get some better info and pics. From what I've gathered, the owner does want to sell it. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow when I get them and figure out a game plan to get it to the right person. I've gotten a few PM's already about it and I appreciate it. Once we figure out what it is completely we will figure out the next step.
    Since there is soo much interest in this - What can we do to not damage it while checking it out? I asked him to try to wipe the playfield a bit if he can get the glass off, otherwise I asked him to clean the glass and take some pics. For those interested, any specific pics, info, etc that he can look at. My friend isn't a pinball guy, he stumbled on this. I'd love to put my hands on this at some point, but I have no idea what to look for either.

I suggest for your friend to simply remove the glass and photograph the playfield. It's very risky if a novice attempts to clean the playfield in any way because they typically use harsh cleaners, like Windex.

Likewise, water based cleaners are counter-indicated. I always instruct the novice to refrain from any cleaning at all. Leave it to the new owner to clean, to be safe.

#30 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for all the info and messages on this machine. Looking back at when I made the first post about this, I had no idea what this was. I'm amazed at what I learned about it. I've got a few more pictures of the machine. I put someone in touch with my friend and the machine is now sold. I don't know what deal they made and the person asked to remain private. I'm sure at some point more pictures and info will be around. I'm happy to have been a part of this machines story. I'm hoping to go see the machine in the next day or so. It appears to be in very good condition.

IMG_6790 (resized).jpgIMG_6790 (resized).jpgIMG_6791 (resized).jpgIMG_6791 (resized).jpgIMG_6793(1) (resized).jpgIMG_6793(1) (resized).jpg
    #31 1 year ago

Thank you for the extra pics! So happy that there are 3 of the known now.

1 week later
    #32 1 year ago

The 'free pass' at the bottom of the playfield amuses me. A kinder way of saying 'you get nothing'. Its the same with Allwin machines here in the UK. The fact is you don't always win, in reality it'll empty your pockets rapidly. Genius that something that is essentially mechanical deprives you of your change so quickly without all the irritating sounds of pacman. I love these deco machines so much, when I moved into my house I redecorated it to make the perfect backdrop for my wall-mounted amusement machines. Incidentally, the wall lights came from a 1930s cinema in Wales that was being demolished. They perfectly match the original 30s stained glass around the door. Without fail, I always get a "wow!!" from those that visit.

newl (resized).jpgnewl (resized).jpg
    9 months later
    #33 5 months ago
    Quoted from Archer:

The 'free pass' at the bottom of the playfield amuses me. A kinder way of saying 'you get nothing'.[quoted image]

I know this is an old thread.

Assuming the mechanism is the same as World's Series, "Free Pass" is actually accurate. Balls that fall into the slot are returned to the player's stock and can be shot again. I counted the 33 shots on my last play of World's Series. I'd guess the average number is 20 or more, not bad for a nickle and strangely addictive.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rock-ola-big-game-1935?hl=biffbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.