(Topic ID: 236143)

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame 2019 - Old Men Rejoice!

By vid1900

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jilOY (resized).jpg
814908024781_1080W_1080H (resized).jpg
hqasdfdefault (resized).jpg
53674d4c-3b9a-11e8-b6d9-57447a4b43e5_1280x720_122611 (resized).jpg
BjOgfPdIcAAnOML (resized).jpg
16_f5f757_5781155 (resized).jpg
DSC_0118 (resized).png
D9C838FF-FCB5-4608-850D-6904E153B965 (resized).jpeg
CDFE7EC2-AC92-4A71-B927-07B09573663F (resized).jpeg
1B19A137-53AA-4A4D-9014-9E243270EA6E (resized).jpeg
89EF2D10-B5F3-44AF-B3C9-05DC73334E43 (resized).jpeg
CADEDD36-B0EF-47B0-826E-597D1536D8AF (resized).jpeg
01C7030F-AF73-42D3-8CF5-DDAD9B415EA2 (resized).jpeg
974802A8-8E04-49FD-A670-288DC54E1DDE (resized).jpeg
5747BC50-6FC8-4DB6-8932-F5CD3CE4AEC7 (resized).jpeg
C01AC0FE-D782-489D-BC4B-4B76F29B2A44 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 5 years ago

Old man quick review:

Def Leppard Well, OK I guess
Devo YES
Janet Jackson NOPE
John Prine WTF Never heard of him, No
Kraftwerk No
LL Cool J No
MC5 Huh??? No
Radiohead Maybe
Rage Against the Machine Yes
Roxy Music No, boring, one hit
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan NO
Stevie Nicks ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT
The Cure Yes
The Zombies Yes
Todd Rundgren OK I guess

#babyboomersknowitalls

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You have terrible taste.
Def leppard is shit and Kraftwerk and Roxy Music are geniuses. Your "only one hit" criteria didn't discount Devo for some reason (who I'll grant you are also awesome).

Although, my ratings were for who should get into the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame, not my taste. There are tons of bands I really like that I don't think should be in there.

Def Leppard - yeah I kinda agree on it, I never could get much into them, but it seems like they are very popular.

Kraftwerk - yes I like them. I should reconsider. But I do like them.

Roxy Music - that's just personal taste there I agree. I never could get into the music. I agree they are good though. Sometimes things don't match up with one person's taste.

Gryszzz - I take the blame for MC5, too quick too judge I like most punk.

Devo - one of the greatest ever. Once again you can argue genres and say they aren't rock and roll, but what genre are they anyway? Its like they invented their own genre.

Whew I'm glad no one defended Stevie Nicks.

Anyway, its all a fun game, because so matter how you slice it, its not really a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I guess Vid is right, you can argue the division of the genres all day long and probably will never be able to get a logical conclusion. It should really be called the Music Hall of Fame. Or maybe the Rock and Roll and Blues and Rap and Pop and Country and Metal and Hip Hop and Techno Hall of Fame.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

RNR HOF is funny, everybody says they don't give a shit about it but we can't stop arguing about it.
There were a few years where inductions were simply no-brainers, but let's face it there's only so many great bands and at this point you are always gonna get plenty of mediocre/borderline acts. I mean HEART is in the RNR Hall of Fame.
Heart.
Can't really argue with most of your opinions they seem pretty on point. Devo should have gotten in years ago and Def Leppard - while shit - have a 10 million selling album so I guess that gets 'em in!

Exactly, we just play the game for the fun of it. Also consider the museum itself, I have been there also and agree with the reviews above, its not great.

Heart? Well.. you know, they were rock and roll I suppose. They had some hits, decent songs. But hall of fame? Well, how about Abba?

Anyway, I just went and had a look at all of the inductees, and if you can let the rock and roll part go out of your head, they are pretty much all good really. But they organize their list by putting all of the bands that start with "The" in with the Ts, now THAT is a crime

#53 5 years ago

This is a fun thread, also I don't think you can take all of the posts here completely seriously, I think sometimes people like to yank some chains. (OK I'm guilty of that sometimes).

favorite band (resized).jpgfavorite band (resized).jpg

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Love them all. Country rock, yes. I met Carl Perkins. He was very nice. I didn't see myself as meeting him. I saw myself as meeting George Harrison's f'ing idol. Pretty awesome. While The Beatles were before my time, Perkins was WAY before my time. The Band is in my Top 10 all time. I love how Eric Clapton said that he left Cream after hearing The Band. He felt that Cream music was so superfluous after hearing The Band. Music from Big Pink is Roger Water's all-time favorite album. Absolutely love them.
These groups were definitely Country/Rock as you say. The "rock" aspect of the Country/rock tandem qualifies them for the HOF, in my opinion, especially since they're all awesome.

Most of those guys were inducted early on since they came onto the scene so early. The point is that you would not be able to induct too many African American rockers beyond a very short list. Certainly none that have put out any rock music in the 25-30 years ago range.

Heck how about anyone of any race as far as making "rock" music now? Who are they gonna put in 20 years from now? Greta Van Fleet????

#128 5 years ago

Haha I know right?
This is one of my favorites

http://www.partyben.com/20080313.html

2 great songs mashed together.

#131 5 years ago

Bus Boys from the 80s! What the hell? How did I miss this? I checked it out, they are great. Thumbs up on this one, thanks.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame-2019-old-men-rejoice-?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.