(Topic ID: 236143)

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame 2019 - Old Men Rejoice!

By vid1900

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jilOY (resized).jpg
814908024781_1080W_1080H (resized).jpg
hqasdfdefault (resized).jpg
53674d4c-3b9a-11e8-b6d9-57447a4b43e5_1280x720_122611 (resized).jpg
BjOgfPdIcAAnOML (resized).jpg
16_f5f757_5781155 (resized).jpg
DSC_0118 (resized).png
D9C838FF-FCB5-4608-850D-6904E153B965 (resized).jpeg
CDFE7EC2-AC92-4A71-B927-07B09573663F (resized).jpeg
1B19A137-53AA-4A4D-9014-9E243270EA6E (resized).jpeg
89EF2D10-B5F3-44AF-B3C9-05DC73334E43 (resized).jpeg
CADEDD36-B0EF-47B0-826E-597D1536D8AF (resized).jpeg
01C7030F-AF73-42D3-8CF5-DDAD9B415EA2 (resized).jpeg
974802A8-8E04-49FD-A670-288DC54E1DDE (resized).jpeg
5747BC50-6FC8-4DB6-8932-F5CD3CE4AEC7 (resized).jpeg
C01AC0FE-D782-489D-BC4B-4B76F29B2A44 (resized).jpeg
There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

March 29th is the R&RHOF 2019 Celebration.

Unlike the Grammys, the HOF requires an artist to have been on the market for at least 25 years.

So old men tend to like it a lot more, but they still complain that Rap is not music, or their favorite band was snubbed .

This year:

Def Leppard
Devo
Janet Jackson
John Prine
Kraftwerk
LL Cool J
MC5
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Roxy Music
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Stevie Nicks
The Cure
The Zombies
Todd Rundgren

#RockHall2019
#MuteMichael

1200x1200-cure_0 (resized).jpg1200x1200-cure_0 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Whether or not rap is music is debatable. It's certainly not created by musicians. What's not debatable is that it's not rock and roll and therefore does not belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Now, even with ALL of that being said, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has some serious credibility issues in that some of the bands that have gotten in in the minimum amount of time that should have had to wait longer and some that have had to wait 40+ years who should have gotten in in their first year of eligibility.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has some serious credibility issues based on some of the bands that have gotten in in the minimum amount of time and some that have had to wait 40+ years.

Apparently, this year the top 5 inductees were chosen by fan ballot, rather than the HOF committee.

Still, too many artists will die before seeing themselves inducted; but I understand, it's a tourist attraction.

#4 5 years ago

I love these shows. I think it's a good idea to pay respect in the present.

I'm loving these shows more and more as entertainment and a source of finding new music.

(Not new in the case of hof...)

Like on the Grammys i realized I just love Cardi B. My last name is Bodak too, weird.

I just like her...

Play that Cardi b!

#5 5 years ago

"Definitely Maybe" was released by Oasis in 1994 and so was the the "Blue" album by Weezer. If those aren't two of the "newer" rock acts that deserved consideration in their first year of eligibility, I'd like to know who is.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Apparently, this year the top 5 inductees were chosen by fan ballot, rather than the HOF committee.
Still, too many artists will die before seeing themselves inducted; but I understand, it's a tourist attraction.

The one that just killed me was Chris Squire from Yes. He was a founding member, had songwriting credits on most of the songs, was one of the most influential rock bassists of all time and died a year before Yes was inducted. They were inducted about 20 years after the first year of eligibility. That's bullshit.

#7 5 years ago

LL Cool J "Mamma Said Knock You Out" (live with full band)

#8 5 years ago

I never really thought I would ever look back to bands from 25 years ago in this way.

Here is a song that might not make it in there ever. But it is in my hof. Front 242 headhunter. 30 years ago.

I don't feel old.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

LL Cool J "Mamma Said Knock You Out" (live with full band)

I like that song, all right. But it's a bit cynical to suggest that it's justification for a R&R HOF nod.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I like that song, all right. But it's a bit cynical to suggest that it's justification for a R&R HOF nod.

Genuine Rock N Roll would only give us Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Bill Haley & the Comets

If you want Black Sabbath (Heavy Metal), Yes (Prog Rock), Ramones (punk rock), Blondie (New Wave), AC/DC (Hard Rock), BB King (Blues), Alice Cooper (Shock Rock), Parliament (Funk), Creedance (Country Rock), T Rex (Glam), Smokey Robinson (Motown) or anything else, you've got to open your mind to endless possibilities.

Roxy Music - In Every Dream Home a Heartache

-

Roxy Music - Mother of Pearl

#11 5 years ago

Devo - Girl U Want

#12 5 years ago

I still can't believe The Doobie Brothers haven't been inducted. (But I agree with several on the list year: Roxy, Kraftwerk, Cure)

#13 5 years ago

Wasted · Def Leppard

#14 5 years ago

The Cure - Fascination Street

#15 5 years ago

STEVIE NICKS - RHIANNON

#16 5 years ago

Todd Rundgren - I Saw The Light

#17 5 years ago

John Prine

#18 5 years ago

I visited the “rock and roll” hall of fame last year.

Just a joke of a place. Really disappointing.

They had hardly anything of interest ... and actual “rock and roll” music was hardly represented at all.

Maybe if it was rebranded as the “American music hall of fame” .. maybe it’d be ok. But even then, the exhibits were pretty crappy. The best thing there was the temporary pinball exhibition. You can see cooler memorabilia at a Hard Rock Cafe.

Really was very poor, and not worth a visit in my opinion. Why anyone puts stock in it at all, I really don’t know.

rd

Edit - I just went back to the photos I took there last July. I only took a dozen photos and 5 of them were pinball ones. Lol.

This photo sums up the “rock and roll” hall of fame ... lolll
35EB38DD-1B4A-404C-97C6-FC8AA0462653 (resized).jpeg35EB38DD-1B4A-404C-97C6-FC8AA0462653 (resized).jpeg

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Whether or not rap is music is debatable. It's certainly not created by musicians. What's not debatable is that it's not rock and roll and therefore does not belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Now, even with ALL of that being said, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has some serious credibility issues in that some of the bands that have gotten in in the minimum amount of time that should have had to wait longer and some that have had to wait 40+ years who should have gotten in in their first year of eligibility.

Do my eyes deceive me, or is someone in a forum full of fat, old, white guys trying to have some kind of authoritative opinion about rap music? Rofl

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I got free passes a few years ago from a client.

Super boring.

Seemed like the mostly British bands, Beatles, Stones, Cream, Kinks, Who, Yardbirds, Bowie, Zep, Queen, Van Morrison, Donovan, Rod Stewart, Deep Purple....

It seemed even moldier than I expected.

Even for free, it did nothing for me.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Even for free, it did nothing for me.

Imagine what I felt like after paying $30 each then.

Lollll

I think we did the whole place in like an hour, 90 mins tops.

The good news, we were passing through, it wasn’t a special trip.

I forgot to add - the building design looks cool from the outside, but it would be the worst designed public display space I’ve ever been in. Especially the top levels. Those who have been there would know what I’m talking about.

rd

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Imagine what I felt like after paying $30 each then.

I missed the exhibit of Cynthia Plaster Caster.

An actual exhibit of real art.

It probably would have been worth $30 to see castings of Jimi, Jimmy, and Jim
[image removed]

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Do my eyes deceive me, or is someone in a forum full of fat, old, white guys trying to have some kind of authoritative opinion about rap music? Rofl

Rap has been around for about 40 years now. The first time I was ever really exposed to it was around 1985 When King of Rock by RUN D.M.C. came out. I was 11 years old at the time. Being a white kid in the suburbs, it was novel to say the least. And then I went back to The Beatles. So, I take exception to what you've said. I've known it was shit long before I was fat or old.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Like on the Grammys i realized I just love Cardi B. My last name is Bodak too, weird.

I laughed at the Grammys where she had to change the opening lyrics from:

My bitches all bad, my niggas all real
I ride on his d*ck, in some big tall heels

Into:

My girls all bad, my boys all real
I ride in his truck, in my big tall heels

It had to be a CBS nightmare combing through all her lyrics, lol

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Being a white kid in the suburbs, it was novel to say the least. And then I went back to The Beatles.

I think the problem was that as a kid in the mid 80s, you were still listening to your father's Beatles music.

There was so much high energy music in 1985, covering new ground, that your parent's would have totally hated.

#26 5 years ago

I'll consider Rap music the day you can get a degree in rap composition and performance from Julliard (never).

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think the problem was that as a kid in the mid 80s, you were still listening to your father's Beatles music.
There was so much high energy music in 1985, covering new ground, that your parent's would have totally hated.

I had friends that listened to Black Flag, The Cramps, hair metal, rap, and even the damn Sperm Birds. And while I dabbled, first generation classic rock is where it was for me and still is to a large degree. 80's and 90's stuff that I like is largely rooted in that sound. And being in Michigan, I had the good fortune of being exposed to some great Canadian bands from my own generation too (Tragically Hip, Our Lady Peace, Sloan).

Quoted from vid1900:

Seemed like the mostly British bands, Beatles, Stones, Cream, Kinks, Who, Yardbirds, Bowie, Zep, Queen, Van Morrison, Donovan, Rod Stewart, Deep Purple....

Sounds like paradise!! Seriously though, I've been there and enjoyed it very much actually.

#28 5 years ago

It's all bullshit until Link Wray is in there.
https://pleasekillme.com/link-wray-rrhof/

Screenshot_20190214-221332_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190214-221332_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190214-221443_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190214-221443_Chrome (resized).jpg
#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I'll consider Rap music the day you can get a degree in rap composition and performance from Julliard (never).

Tupac Shakur got a degree in dance from Julliard. That did not hurt his street cred one bit.

-

Plenty of white man's "rock" music is spoken word. I don't see anybody questioning whether it is **music** or not.

Leonard Cohen - Democracy

Lou Reed - Walk On the Wild Song

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds "Do you love me?"

#30 5 years ago

That's a classical dance program and has nothing to do with the writing or performing of rap, Vid.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Is Dick Dale in?

#32 5 years ago

Agree with RotorDave on the title. Why call it Rock and Roll hall of fame?

I have no problem with celebrating all genres of music, but they don’t do that either. No Country etc.

I also agree it missing many obviously deserving bands.

Get off my lawn!

Also, I do love classic rock!

#33 5 years ago

Nevus,I agree,but Country has its own venue at Nashville! Rap is crap all day!! Being from the Sanfransisco ROCK era of the sixties,I have seen what real rock is!! A lot of these youngsters haven't had the thrill of watching a group like the "James gang",or Lesly west, unload at 50,000 watts,and rip up places like "Winterland' and the "Fillmore west",so this is all lost on them,sadly!!! No bashing,just fact!!! 4 U who never knew,Lesly West was the lead guitar for "Mountain" U know,Mississippi Queen,you know what I mean!!!

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Just a joke of a place. Really disappointing.
They had hardly anything of interest ... and actual “rock and roll” music was hardly represented at all.
Maybe if it was rebranded as the “American music hall of fame” .. maybe it’d be ok. But even then, the exhibits were pretty crappy. The best thing there was the temporary pinball exhibition. You can see cooler memorabilia at a Hard Rock Cafe.
Really was very poor, and not worth a visit in my opinion. Why anyone puts stock in it at all, I really don’t know.
rd
Edit - I just went back to the photos I took there last July. I only took 8 photos and 5 of them were pinball ones. Lol.
This photo sums up the “rock and roll” hall of fame ... lolll[quoted image]

Where’s the pictures of the machines?

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Well you know a lot of us old fat white guys listened to it growing up. Just sayin white sales of rap music is pretty high historically.

#36 5 years ago

Old man quick review:

Def Leppard Well, OK I guess
Devo YES
Janet Jackson NOPE
John Prine WTF Never heard of him, No
Kraftwerk No
LL Cool J No
MC5 Huh??? No
Radiohead Maybe
Rage Against the Machine Yes
Roxy Music No, boring, one hit
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan NO
Stevie Nicks ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT
The Cure Yes
The Zombies Yes
Todd Rundgren OK I guess

#babyboomersknowitalls

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

[quoted image][quoted image]

He did get a song in there though. I think it was last year they started to induct important songs in music history and Rumble made it in.
Something at least.

#38 5 years ago

Once Rush made it in I quit being outraged. Now they could induct Tiny Tim or Slim Whitman and I wouldn't care...

#39 5 years ago

I'm all in for The Cure this year. Whom wininduct them, how many members show up, what songs from the massive catalog will they play, with Lol be there?

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Old man quick review:
Def Leppard Well, OK I guess
Devo YES
Janet Jackson NOPE
John Prine WTF Never heard of him, No
Kraftwerk No
LL Cool J No
MC5 Huh??? No
Radiohead Maybe
Rage Against the Machine Yes
Roxy Music No, boring, one hit
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan NO
Stevie Nicks ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT
The Cure Yes
The Zombies Yes
Todd Rundgren OK I guess
#babyboomersknowitalls

You have terrible taste.

Def leppard is shit and Kraftwerk and Roxy Music are geniuses. Your "only one hit" criteria didn't discount Devo for some reason (who I'll grant you are also awesome).

#41 5 years ago

Yeah the MC5 only invented punk rock no biggie.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You have terrible taste.
Def leppard is shit and Kraftwerk and Roxy Music are geniuses. Your "only one hit" criteria didn't discount Devo for some reason (who I'll grant you are also awesome).

Although, my ratings were for who should get into the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame, not my taste. There are tons of bands I really like that I don't think should be in there.

Def Leppard - yeah I kinda agree on it, I never could get much into them, but it seems like they are very popular.

Kraftwerk - yes I like them. I should reconsider. But I do like them.

Roxy Music - that's just personal taste there I agree. I never could get into the music. I agree they are good though. Sometimes things don't match up with one person's taste.

Gryszzz - I take the blame for MC5, too quick too judge I like most punk.

Devo - one of the greatest ever. Once again you can argue genres and say they aren't rock and roll, but what genre are they anyway? Its like they invented their own genre.

Whew I'm glad no one defended Stevie Nicks.

Anyway, its all a fun game, because so matter how you slice it, its not really a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I guess Vid is right, you can argue the division of the genres all day long and probably will never be able to get a logical conclusion. It should really be called the Music Hall of Fame. Or maybe the Rock and Roll and Blues and Rap and Pop and Country and Metal and Hip Hop and Techno Hall of Fame.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Although, my ratings were for who should get into the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame, not my taste. There are tons of bands I really like that I don't think should be in there.
Def Leppard - yeah I kinda agree on it, I never could get much into them, but it seems like they are very popular.
Kraftwerk - yes I like them. I should reconsider. But I do like them.
Roxy Music - that's just personal taste there I agree. I never could get into the music. I agree they are good though. Sometimes things don't match up with one person's taste.
Gryszzz - I take the blame for MC5, too quick too judge I like most punk.
Devo - one of the greatest ever. Once again you can argue genres and say they aren't rock and roll, but what genre are they anyway? Its like they invented their own genre.
Whew I'm glad no one defended Stevie Nicks.
Anyway, its all a fun game, because so matter how you slice it, its not really a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I guess Vid is right, you can argue the division of the genres all day long and probably will never be able to get a logical conclusion. It should really be called the Music Hall of Fame. Or maybe the Rock and Roll and Blues and Rap and Pop and Country and Hip Hop and Techno Hall of Fame.

RNR HOF is funny, everybody says they don't give a shit about it but we can't stop arguing about it.

There were a few years where inductions were simply no-brainers, but let's face it there's only so many great bands and at this point you are always gonna get plenty of mediocre/borderline acts. I mean HEART is in the RNR Hall of Fame.

Heart.

Can't really argue with most of your opinions they seem pretty on point. Devo should have gotten in years ago and Def Leppard - while shit - have a 10 million selling album so I guess that gets 'em in!

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm all in for The Cure this year. Whom wininduct them, how many members show up, what songs from the massive catalog will they play, with Lol be there?

I hear Morrissey is gonna induct The Cure

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

RNR HOF is funny, everybody says they don't give a shit about it but we can't stop arguing about it.
There were a few years where inductions were simply no-brainers, but let's face it there's only so many great bands and at this point you are always gonna get plenty of mediocre/borderline acts. I mean HEART is in the RNR Hall of Fame.
Heart.
Can't really argue with most of your opinions they seem pretty on point. Devo should have gotten in years ago and Def Leppard - while shit - have a 10 million selling album so I guess that gets 'em in!

Exactly, we just play the game for the fun of it. Also consider the museum itself, I have been there also and agree with the reviews above, its not great.

Heart? Well.. you know, they were rock and roll I suppose. They had some hits, decent songs. But hall of fame? Well, how about Abba?

Anyway, I just went and had a look at all of the inductees, and if you can let the rock and roll part go out of your head, they are pretty much all good really. But they organize their list by putting all of the bands that start with "The" in with the Ts, now THAT is a crime

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I hear Morrissey is gonna induct The Cure

I was also wondering is Smith was gonna take a jab at him.

Obviously the Smiths should be in as all. Smiths & Pixies are no brainers.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You have terrible taste.

Damn Levi, I agree with much of what you post, but it seems your musical taste is shit.LOL

Def Leopard should be in just like Priest, Maiden, Zep, AC/DC etc. Such a great band over the years with so many great songs. I guess I may be biased since I saw them in 1980 on their first tour - On Through The Night.

How on earth can you refer to Devo as a one hit wonder?

My only real issue with R&RHOF is the same as most. The inclusion of acts that aren't even remotely rock and roll. Example: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Beastie Boys, but should they really be in the R&RHOF?

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

March 29th is the R&RHOF 2019 Celebration.
Unlike the Grammys, the HOF requires an artist to have been on the market for at least 25 years.
So old men tend to like it a lot more, but they still complain that Rap is not music, or their favorite band was snubbed .
This year:
Def Leppard
Devo
Janet Jackson
John Prine
Kraftwerk
LL Cool J
MC5
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Roxy Music
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Stevie Nicks
The Cure
The Zombies
Todd Rundgren
#RockHall2019
#MuteMichael [quoted image]

Your list is incorrect. You included all of the nominees.

These are the inductees for 2019 (the others did not make it):

The Cure
Radiohead
Janet Jackson
Stevie Nicks
Def Leppard
Roxie Music
The Zombies

#49 5 years ago

None of those listed are worthy. Rock'n'Roll has been going downhill since Randy Rhoads died. ALL of this new shit sucks. End of story.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

None of those listed are worthy. Rock'n'Roll has been going downhill since Randy Rhoads died. ALL of this new shit sucks. End of story.

New shit?!

The Cure
Radiohead
Janet Jackson
Stevie Nicks
Def Leppard
Roxie Music
The Zombies

How old do you have to be where you think a bunch of 60s-80s acts are "new shit?"

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame-2019-old-men-rejoice-?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.