(Topic ID: 236143)

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame 2019 - Old Men Rejoice!

By vid1900

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jilOY (resized).jpg
814908024781_1080W_1080H (resized).jpg
hqasdfdefault (resized).jpg
53674d4c-3b9a-11e8-b6d9-57447a4b43e5_1280x720_122611 (resized).jpg
BjOgfPdIcAAnOML (resized).jpg
16_f5f757_5781155 (resized).jpg
DSC_0118 (resized).png
D9C838FF-FCB5-4608-850D-6904E153B965 (resized).jpeg
CDFE7EC2-AC92-4A71-B927-07B09573663F (resized).jpeg
1B19A137-53AA-4A4D-9014-9E243270EA6E (resized).jpeg
89EF2D10-B5F3-44AF-B3C9-05DC73334E43 (resized).jpeg
CADEDD36-B0EF-47B0-826E-597D1536D8AF (resized).jpeg
01C7030F-AF73-42D3-8CF5-DDAD9B415EA2 (resized).jpeg
974802A8-8E04-49FD-A670-288DC54E1DDE (resized).jpeg
5747BC50-6FC8-4DB6-8932-F5CD3CE4AEC7 (resized).jpeg
C01AC0FE-D782-489D-BC4B-4B76F29B2A44 (resized).jpeg

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Think of Billy Joel "We Didn't Start the Fire". That was a white guy trying to write a Rap crossover song when Rap was at it's peak.

I always preferred midnight oil short memory over billy Joel's rap.

An excellent tune. Great album too. All around.

#102 8 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Actually i think it was the boy bands and teen girl pop stars of the 90s that killed Rock.

I'd say what killed Rock was that none of the new rock bands were scary to parents.

But black guys with tats on their faces and empowered black women singing about climbing onto a big black d*ck, put the fear of god into the parents of white suburbia.
BjOgfPdIcAAnOML (resized).jpg16_f5f757_5781155 (resized).jpg53674d4c-3b9a-11e8-b6d9-57447a4b43e5_1280x720_122611 (resized).jpghqasdfdefault (resized).jpg814908024781_1080W_1080H (resized).jpg

jilOY (resized).jpg
#103 8 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Whether or not rap is music is debatable. It's certainly not created by musicians.

this in 2019? LOL hell yeah dude

#104 8 months ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I'll consider Rap music the day you can get a degree in rap composition and performance from Julliard (never)

All of those rock 'n roll composition Julliard degrees agree with you

#105 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is even a video on Clape's site where he go's to Tesco Vee's house and fixes his CFBL for him.
His house is filled to the ceiling with toys and old monster movie stuff.

The Meatmen in hindsight were some dark guys
Another crazy song I remember from that time period was Serrated Edge by the Dead Milkmen
Back then the overall “system” censored things and they didn’t worry about or catch the small potatoes so things slipped between the cracks or had a small audience but now society and social media do the censoring and it finds and is offended by almost everything so it is much more strict as a result.
Could you imagine songs like those being released today?

#106 8 months ago

I'm stanning for Devo and Kraftwerk here. Absolute legends whose entire (and currently active! (OK, Mothersbaugh for sure though)) careers can be seen as monumental.

#107 8 months ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

The Meatmen in hindsight were some dark guys

Tesco is a high school math teacher, it comes with the job.

Only in Hip Hop or Zef

#108 8 months ago

but now society and social media do the censoring and it finds and is offended by almost everything so it is much more strict as a result.

What? You know how many GG Allin live concerts I can find now vs how many I could see in the 90s?

#109 8 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Come on dude you are better than this right?

Welcome to Pinside!

#110 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How do you teach Death Metal?

Find words that rhyme with Satan, Corpse, Impale, Priest, Demon, Hellfire, Pentagram, Golden Rings and Crimson Kings.

If there is someone who is entertained by it, and feels that is high-art, I'm happy they found their genre.

to be fair, death metal and various other metal-genres are INTENSE and hyper competitive and creative. Like check out Deafheaven

The technical proficiency in modern metal genres is just incredible, once you can get past the blast of noise.

#111 8 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

All of those rock 'n roll composition Julliard degrees agree with you

Instrument types are covered as well as form. They have classes on "rock guitar".

#112 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It was great, but after almost 40 years, Rap and Hip Hop has less and less samples.

When it was a fresh idea, it made sense to sample JB, Van Halen or Aerosmith to try and crossover some white kids.

Check this documentary below. Commercial music today has a LOT less samples due to the evolution of the legal reality of samples in the 80s.

#113 8 months ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Instrument types are covered as well as form. They have classes on "rock guitar".

It said composition. They have lots of programs for rhythmic music production.

#114 8 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

It said composition. They have lots of programs for rhythmic music production.

Like rhythm section? I don't know what that means exactly.

#115 8 months ago

Only way RnR HoFame becomes legit is if it is purchased by someone like Gene Simmons and he completely kicks out all the garbage in the HoFame that isn't even associated with the words Rock N Roll. It is the only way the RnR HoFame would gain any credibility with fans. It's a complete joke the way it stands now!

#116 8 months ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Only way RnR HoFame becomes legit is if it is purchased by someone like Gene Simmons and he completely kicks out all the garbage in the HoFame that isn't even associated with the words Rock N Roll. It is the only way the RnR HoFame would gain any credibility with fans. It's a complete joke the way it stands now!

Dude would totally have a heart attack then and there and I guess that proves you are absolutely correct, that would be the most rock n roll thing ever.

#117 8 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

Check this documentary below. Commercial music today has a LOT less samples due to the evolution of the legal reality of samples in the 80s.

I would be remiss to not include these, links below to the DJ mixes that explode classic sample-heavy albums and do it in a fabulous way exploring all of the songs and clips used:
Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique https://soundcloud.com/ninja-tune/solid-steel-radio-show-31-8-1
De La Soul's 3 Feet High And Rising https://soundcloud.com/ninja-tune/solid-steel-radio-show-24-5-1
Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back https://soundcloud.com/ninja-tune/solid-steel-radio-show-2-8-1

#118 8 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

to be fair, death metal and various other metal-genres are INTENSE and hyper competitive and creative.

I was paraphrasing robert fripps earlier post

We were all about Deafhaven in the Grammy post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/don-t-be-a-lame-old-man-on-grammy-night#post-4831811

#119 8 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

this in 2019? LOL hell yeah dude

It's just as true now as it ever has been. The passage of time hasn't suddenly resulted in rappers writing or playing music.

#120 8 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

It's just as true now as it ever has been. The passage of time hasn't suddenly resulted in rappers writing or playing music.

oh for sure dude rap sure is languishing

#121 8 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

The passage of time hasn't suddenly resulted in rappers writing or playing music.

Not just music, but magic.

Put your cans on and listen:

#122 8 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

Commercial music today has a LOT less samples due to the evolution of the legal reality of samples in the 80s.

And ironically, the guy that does the most samples of anyone, GirlTalk, does not pay any royalties.

He samples like 80 artists in every song!

War Pigs

-
Play your Part

Stuntin' Like My Daddy
by Birdman and Lil Wayne (2006)

Edwin Starr's War
by Edwin Starr (1970)

Nothing Compares 2 U
by Sinéad O'Connor (1990)

Gimme Some Lovin'
by The Spencer Davis Group (1966)

Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You)
by UGK feat. OutKast (2007)

Aaliyah's We Need a Resolution
by Aaliyah (2001)

What You Know
by T.I. (2006)

Let My Love Open the Door
by Pete Townshend (1980)

What's Your Fantasy
by Ludacris feat. Shawnna (2000)

Cupid Shuffle
by Cupid (2007)

Oh, Pretty Woman
by Roy Orbison (1964)

Big Pimpin'
by Jay-Z feat. UGK (1999)

Freedom
by Rage Against the Machine (1992)

We're Not Gonna Take It
by Twisted Sister (1984)

Bossy
by Kelis feat. Too Short (2005)

Hunger Strike
by Temple of the Dog (1991)

Walk It Out
by Unk (2006)

Booty House Anthems Mix 1
by DJ Funk (1999)

Pop Bottles
by Birdman feat. Lil Wayne (2007)

The Heart of Rock & Roll
by Huey Lewis and the News (1983)

I Just Want to Celebrate
by Rare Earth (1972)

Gettin' Some
by Shawnna (2006)

Pump It (Mix 2)
by DJ Funk (1999)

Take It to the Floor
by Young Jeezy feat. Bone Crusher (2003)

G-Slide (Tour Bus)
by Lil Mama (2007)

Drop Drop
by Joe Budden (2002)

#123 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

He samples like 80 artists in every song!

he's of the "Internet Model" where you don't charge for your releases, so you have no royalties. You then make it up in concert bookings.
I don't listen to Girl Talk, but this model has also recently worked for Run The Jewels for the last decade.

#124 8 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

he's of the "Internet Model" where you don't charge for your releases, so you have no royalties.

Shhhhh.....don't tell Amazon

amazon.com link »

#125 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Shhhhh.....don't tell Amazon

Copyright: ℗© 2008 Illegal Art

LOL

#126 7 months ago

Black Sabbath's War Pigs with "Get out the way, Bitch" rapped over and over is pretty lame.....

#127 7 months ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Black Sabbath's War Pigs with "Get out the way, Bitch" rapped over and over is pretty lame.....

It's another crossover trick.

Old men, still listening to Sabbath after 50 years, are tricked into listening to some new music.

If even 10% of them decide that the new music has better bass & dynamics and the old sounds anemic, the crossover worked.

If even 15% of them play the new track in the car to connect with their highschool teens, the crossover worked.

"Daaaaaddddd, why do you even have a boomin' stereo in the car if all you listen to is Rush.. ........ ...............................Limbaugh?"

#128 7 months ago

Haha I know right?
This is one of my favorites

http://www.partyben.com/20080313.html

2 great songs mashed together.

#129 7 months ago

The early record producers gave a demo 15-30 seconds, listening for "The Hook". I give them a little more, scanning midway to see if it gets any better.
I try a lot of new music, recommendations, links, etc. Don't really believe the old man equals old ears theory, most of those Record guys weren't spring chickens.
I will stick to my original assessment about 99.3 percent of new music, in all genre, is terrible. No soul, no deep meaning, no skilled musicians, and no HOOK.
I wish someone would sample a few of my earlier recordings so I could sue them, only way they could become economically viable.

#130 7 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Ever since the first couple of classes of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc.), African-Americans and people of African descent from any other country have pretty much been out of the business of making rock and roll music. Is it possible that the RRHOF inducts rap and pop acts just to ensure a certain degree of diversity? Country music is closer to being rock and roll then rap, but country musicians don't get inducted.

The Bus Boys were an authentic, African-American Rock-n-roll band. And they were good. Check out “Minimum Wage Rock and Roll” for some catchy, witty tunes and a great overall vibe.

#131 7 months ago

Bus Boys from the 80s! What the hell? How did I miss this? I checked it out, they are great. Thumbs up on this one, thanks.

#132 7 months ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Bus Boys from the 80s! What the hell? How did I miss this? I checked it out, they are great. Thumbs up on this one, thanks.

I had the vinyl back then...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
Lighting - Led
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
£ 45.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 219.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.25
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
$ 249.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 7.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 4.95
Apparel - Unisex
ULEKstore
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside