(Topic ID: 236143)

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame 2019 - Old Men Rejoice!

By vid1900

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jilOY (resized).jpg
814908024781_1080W_1080H (resized).jpg
hqasdfdefault (resized).jpg
53674d4c-3b9a-11e8-b6d9-57447a4b43e5_1280x720_122611 (resized).jpg
BjOgfPdIcAAnOML (resized).jpg
16_f5f757_5781155 (resized).jpg
DSC_0118 (resized).png
D9C838FF-FCB5-4608-850D-6904E153B965 (resized).jpeg
CDFE7EC2-AC92-4A71-B927-07B09573663F (resized).jpeg
1B19A137-53AA-4A4D-9014-9E243270EA6E (resized).jpeg
89EF2D10-B5F3-44AF-B3C9-05DC73334E43 (resized).jpeg
CADEDD36-B0EF-47B0-826E-597D1536D8AF (resized).jpeg
01C7030F-AF73-42D3-8CF5-DDAD9B415EA2 (resized).jpeg
974802A8-8E04-49FD-A670-288DC54E1DDE (resized).jpeg
5747BC50-6FC8-4DB6-8932-F5CD3CE4AEC7 (resized).jpeg
C01AC0FE-D782-489D-BC4B-4B76F29B2A44 (resized).jpeg

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago

Radio head is the only new shit isn't it? Aren't they right at 25?

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

That's a classical dance program and has nothing to do with the writing or performing of rap, Vid.

I love when you try to make my point for me.

2PAC was Modern Dance (think RENT)

But took that training and launched into a Rap sensation, first dancing for the Digital Underground (Humpty Dance) and then on his own.

If you want to study Broadway singling and dancing, Julliard is a great place.

Julliard teaches electronic music, but not as a degree program.

There is no Rock, Blues, Rap or Heavy Metal degree programs at Julliard, so I guess that those forms are not music?

(see how quickly you paint yourself into a corner?)

Rap is music, even if old white guys can't understand it. Just because one school does not have a degree in it, does not prevent it from being music.

#53 5 years ago

This is a fun thread, also I don't think you can take all of the posts here completely seriously, I think sometimes people like to yank some chains. (OK I'm guilty of that sometimes).

favorite band (resized).jpgfavorite band (resized).jpg

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I was also wondering is Smith was gonna take a jab at him.

Morrissey has a pretty good sense of humor.

The Meatmen performed a song for years called "Morrissey Must Die"

Yet, Morrissey chose the Meatmen for the hidden track on the Smiths tribute album

-

How Soon Is Now - The Meatmen

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Where’s the pictures of the machines?

By popular demand (of one man) here are all the pictures I took of things I deemed interesting at the RARHOF in July

(Plus the joke A-HA one ...)

I presume the pinball exhibit is long gone.

rd

01C7030F-AF73-42D3-8CF5-DDAD9B415EA2 (resized).jpeg01C7030F-AF73-42D3-8CF5-DDAD9B415EA2 (resized).jpeg1B19A137-53AA-4A4D-9014-9E243270EA6E (resized).jpeg1B19A137-53AA-4A4D-9014-9E243270EA6E (resized).jpeg4D3D44A0-75CB-46A5-BA66-24551FC7EF8C (resized).jpeg4D3D44A0-75CB-46A5-BA66-24551FC7EF8C (resized).jpeg5747BC50-6FC8-4DB6-8932-F5CD3CE4AEC7 (resized).jpeg5747BC50-6FC8-4DB6-8932-F5CD3CE4AEC7 (resized).jpeg7DCCABEF-0CF0-40EC-B886-B67931EB007F (resized).jpeg7DCCABEF-0CF0-40EC-B886-B67931EB007F (resized).jpeg89EF2D10-B5F3-44AF-B3C9-05DC73334E43 (resized).jpeg89EF2D10-B5F3-44AF-B3C9-05DC73334E43 (resized).jpeg974802A8-8E04-49FD-A670-288DC54E1DDE (resized).jpeg974802A8-8E04-49FD-A670-288DC54E1DDE (resized).jpegA14AA76E-AC3A-49A8-A0BA-61476DFB9CB6 (resized).jpegA14AA76E-AC3A-49A8-A0BA-61476DFB9CB6 (resized).jpegC01AC0FE-D782-489D-BC4B-4B76F29B2A44 (resized).jpegC01AC0FE-D782-489D-BC4B-4B76F29B2A44 (resized).jpegCADEDD36-B0EF-47B0-826E-597D1536D8AF (resized).jpegCADEDD36-B0EF-47B0-826E-597D1536D8AF (resized).jpegCDFE7EC2-AC92-4A71-B927-07B09573663F (resized).jpegCDFE7EC2-AC92-4A71-B927-07B09573663F (resized).jpegD9C838FF-FCB5-4608-850D-6904E153B965 (resized).jpegD9C838FF-FCB5-4608-850D-6904E153B965 (resized).jpeg
#56 5 years ago

Wow.

So basically it's like a trip to the Hard Rock Cafe without the chicken wins or Dio couch auctions.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wow.
So basically it's like a trip to the Hard Rock Cafe without the chicken wins or Dio couch auctions.

Dio couch auction would be farrrr more exciting.

That was the extent of the “hard rock/metal” portion. I’m biased, as that’s my thing. But those photos are pretty much all they have for that genre. Most of it, like the Dio lyrics, were all in one lone cabinet.

Those were the pics I took for my travel thread, things I deemed interesting enough to photograph. If I wasn’t writing the thread, I probably wouldn’t have taken any.

I thought the Les Paul area was interesting, as most people have no idea who Les Paul is and all the things he came up with (like multitrack recording). But I’d say that’ll be out soon, replaced with some pop stars getup she wore while lip syncing somewhere.

Calling that place the Rock and Roll hall of fame is sorting like calling Denny’s restaurant “Steak World”. Sure, there’s some steak there ... hidden amongst all the pancakes.

rd

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wow.

Well...it is Cleveland

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I love when you try to make my point for me.
2PAC was Modern Dance (think RENT)
But took that training and launched into a Rap sensation, first dancing for the Digital Underground (Humpty Dance) and then on his own.
If you want to study Broadway singling and dancing, Julliard is a great place.
Julliard teaches electronic music, but not as a degree program.
There is no Rock, Blues, Rap or Heavy Metal degree programs at Julliard, so I guess that those forms are not music?
(see how quickly you paint yourself into a corner?)
Rap is music, even if old white guys can't understand it. Just because one school does not have a degree in it, does not prevent it from being music.

Really, heavy metal, blues, etc are just styles that can be taught on guitar, bass, keys, and drums. Rap has what a beat, it's rhythmic poetry at best. I didn't paint myself into a corner because those forms of music follow theory and are taught at many academies worldwide, Berklee college of music in Boston is a good example of a Rock/Jazz/Blues school.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Berklee college of music in Boston

Now your talking!

They teach Hip Hop.

DSC_0118 (resized).pngDSC_0118 (resized).png
#61 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Now your talking!
They teach Hip Hop.[quoted image]

I give up then Vid. The world as I know it is over

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Rap has what a beat, it's rhythmic poetry at best.

Don't get hung up about Rap.

Rap is now a very tiny segment of the market, it's peak was decades ago.

The most popular genre of popular music is Hip Hop with 27% of the market (depending on the poll of course), Rap is only 4% overall nowadays.

Think of Billy Joel "We Didn't Start the Fire". That was a white guy trying to write a Rap crossover song when Rap was at it's peak.

#63 5 years ago

How do you teach rap? These are words that rhyme with bitches and these are words that rhyme with ho. Talk about Cristal, pimpin', money, drugs, and said bitches and you got it down.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

How do you teach rap? These are words that rhyme with bitches and these are words that rhyme with ho. Talk about Cristal, pimpin', money, drugs, and said bitches and you got it down.

Come on dude you are better than this right?

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I think THEY talk aboot the white man keeping them down a lot too...which after reading this post is probably pretty valid.

#66 5 years ago

"Cause I'm the masta blasta, lickin' up the shasta, my voice sounds sweet cause it hasta". No bitches or ho's in there, nope.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

How do you teach Death Metal?

Find words that rhyme with Satan, Corpse, Impale, Priest, Demon, Hellfire, Pentagram, Golden Rings and Crimson Kings.

If there is someone who is entertained by it, and feels that is high-art, I'm happy they found their genre.

Cannibal Corpse "Evisceration Plague"

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Come on dude you are better than this right?

I don't like 98% of the music Levi. I do like Wu Tang because they DON'T rap about these things and are intelligent people. I like Cypress Hill, Digable Planets, The Roots, and A Tribe Called Quest. I don't like the lazy tropes I wrote about in my previous post.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

...they DON'T rap about these things and are intelligent people....

Ohhhh boy....I need a tech here please

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I don't like 98% of the music Levi. I do like Wu Tang because they DON'T rap about these things and are intelligent people. I like Cypress Hill, Digable Planets, The Roots, and A Tribe Called Quest. I don't like the lazy tropes I wrote about in my previous post.

There's no lazier trope on earth than your borderline racist criticism of rap in the previous post.

You just named five groups with HUNDREDS of songs that in your own estimation don't conform to your "bitches and hos" trope. It's not possible there's more out there that might not fit in that dumb artificial box you created?

It's like citing Warrant and Poison and saying "See! Heavy metal sucks and is dumb!"

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ohhhh boy....I need a tech here please

ODB is gone now

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I like Cypress Hill, Digable Planets, The Roots, and A Tribe Called Quest.

Those are all great bands, but from 3 decades ago.

Now I see why you think that urban music is still "rap" music

Relax, let this generation enjoy their Hip Hop music.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Those are all great bands...

...not too scary for the 90s white man.

But honestly, some of that shit sucked. Cypress was OK at the time (not a fan but had to listen to it all the time then),Tribe is good of course, but I think Digable planets is my most hated band of the time; couldn't stand that jazz shit.

I think the only thing worse in the decade was Portishead

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Those are all great bands, but from 3 decades ago.
Now I see why you think that urban music is still "rap" music
Relax, let this generation enjoy their Hip Hop music.

Fair enough. I'm admitting to being behind the times. I'm just having fun. Everyone has their perspective. I'm a prog fan, who am I to talk down to anyone My genre of choice has been dragged through the mud for nearly 50 years!

#75 5 years ago

Prog is OK.

It's good that it ever existed.

Vid: Dude, we went and saw Return To Forever last night, and there were chicks there!!
Scott: No fnckin' way!!
Vid: Yeah, they tore our tickets.

Never gets old

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Fair enough. I'm admitting to being behind the times...

Let it in....

#77 5 years ago

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a complete joke always has been

#78 5 years ago

The rock n roll hall of fame should be one room, with one picture of Chuck Berry hangin up thank you come again

#79 5 years ago

Rock N Roll is devil music, it should be outlawed.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

The rock n roll hall of fame should be one room, with one picture of Chuck Berry hangin up thank you come again

How about a drive thru?

You could look at the picture and then buy your $12 hamburger and $10 beer.

#81 5 years ago

Ever since the first couple of classes of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc.), African-Americans and people of African descent from any other country have pretty much been out of the business of making rock and roll music. Is it possible that the RRHOF inducts rap and pop acts just to ensure a certain degree of diversity? Country music is closer to being rock and roll then rap, but country musicians don't get inducted.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

...not too scary for the 90s white man.
But honestly, some of that shit sucked. Cypress was OK at the time (not a fan but had to listen to it all the time then),Tribe is good of course, but I think Digable planets is my most hated band of the time; couldn't stand that jazz shit.
I think the only thing worse in the decade was Portishead

Seconded. Cypress Hill probably planted the idea of legalizing marijuana in this generation, although they were poster boys of why not to..

So Tupac got in, but no Eric B & Rakim? Big Daddy Kane? Guess you have to get shot... Rakim was a lyrical master, put him up with anybody in any genre.
Rap is a strange mistress. I don’t know if I got old or it got horrible. Logic has a few good ones but everyone else is ehhh.. But I do find myself skipping even the old masters when they come up on the playlist, except here I am RAW.. a terrorist, here to bring

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Fair enough. I'm admitting to being behind the times. I'm just having fun. Everyone has their perspective. I'm a prog fan, who am I to talk down to anyone My genre of choice has been dragged through the mud for nearly 50 years!

Picking on prog is too damn easy!

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Ever since the first couple of classes of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc.), African-Americans and people of African descent from any other country have pretty much been out of the business of making rock and roll music. Is it possible that the RRHOF inducts rap and pop acts just to ensure a certain degree of diversity? Country music is closer to being rock and roll then rap, but country musicians don't get inducted.

They don’t?

I’ll let someone else field this one.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Whether or not rap is music is debatable. It's certainly not created by musicians. What's not debatable is that it's not rock and roll and therefore does not belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Watch out the virtue signalers around here might label you a racist for saying things like that, no matter how true they are.

Quoted from BackFlipper:

Your list is incorrect. You included all of the nominees.

These are the inductees for 2019 (the others did not make it):

The Cure
Radiohead
Janet Jackson
Stevie Nicks
Def Leppard
Roxie Music
The Zombies

Even that list is way too long. Problem is this place jumped the shark a long time ago. It is a tourist location as mentioned above. If it truly was a hall of fame, they would have inducted a half dozen bands for the first few years and they would be down to one or two meaningful bands a year at this point. In my opinion none of the above bands should have made it. I can't stand the Cure and they are not Rock and Roll to begin with. All I can say is don't get between me and the thumbs down button on the remote if the Cure ever pops up on one of my Pandora stations. You are going down if you do.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They don’t?
I’ll let someone else field this one.

I don't believe so. Maybe some cross over or Country/Rock acts. But I don't think that there are any country exclusive musicians in there.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Country music is closer to being rock and roll then rap, but country musicians don't get inducted.

Creedance Clearwater, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, The Band, all were country rock.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Is it possible that the RRHOF inducts rap and pop acts just to ensure a certain degree of diversity?

Ray Charles, Prince, Sam Cook, James Brown, Clyde McPhatter. Little Richard, The Coasters, Bo Diddly, Marvin Gay, BB King - no lack of black artists at the HOF

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

... Rakim was a lyrical master, put him up with anybody in any genre.
Rap is a strange mistress. I don’t know if I got old or it got horrible...

For sure Rakim.

Well, I'm guessing I'm too old for a lot of this shit, BUT the genre has changed for sure. Take an all timer like "nations of millions...," that style is so great. Bomb Squad mixing shit with Terminator is just pure perfection. You hear those beats and shit that Eric B/Rakim lay down it's just totally diff'rent that later rap. I mean to a point, I'm not a rap historian obviously. The samples, loops, the scratching...ohhh the scratching...great stuff.
Seems like a lot of it just evolved away from that and that's sort of my era efven know I liked later shit DMX - and then there was X etc.
Maybe it's just growing up with the basis of that style with slick rick, UTFO etc

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The samples, loops, the scratching...ohhh the scratching...great stuff.

It was great, but after almost 40 years, Rap and Hip Hop has less and less samples.

When it was a fresh idea, it made sense to sample JB, Van Halen or Aerosmith to try and crossover some white kids.

But now, when it's the dominant genre of music, it makes financial sense to not share 1/2 of your profits with some other writer who you got your sample from.

Outkast used to have some tasty, vintage sounding loops, but they wrote them rather than sampled them. More money for themselves.

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

By popular demand (of one man) here are all the pictures I took of things I deemed interesting at the RARHOF in July
(Plus the joke A-HA one ...)
I presume the pinball exhibit is long gone.
rd[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The pinball exhibit is still there and will probably be there for a long time. It is the most popular exhibit in the museum. My brother is the caretaker and restorer of the machines. That punk actually came from NZ! As someone who has been there a ton now I actually like the museum but I too thought it was boring the first couple of times. I finally got unlazy and started reading all of the placards and learning alot more history and found it more interesting than costumes and instruments.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Creedance Clearwater, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, The Band, all were country rock.

Love them all. Country rock, yes. I met Carl Perkins. He was very nice. I didn't see myself as meeting him. I saw myself as meeting George Harrison's f'ing idol. Pretty awesome. While The Beatles were before my time, Perkins was WAY before my time. The Band is in my Top 10 all time. I love how Eric Clapton said that he left Cream after hearing The Band. He felt that Cream music was so superfluous after hearing The Band. Music from Big Pink is Roger Water's all-time favorite album. Absolutely love them.

These groups were definitely Country/Rock as you say. The "rock" aspect of the Country/rock tandem qualifies them for the HOF, in my opinion, especially since they're all awesome.

Quoted from vid1900:

Ray Charles, Prince, Sam Cook, James Brown, Clyde McPhatter. Little Richard, The Coasters, Bo Diddly, Marvin Gay, BB King - no lack of black artists at the HOF

Most of those guys were inducted early on since they came onto the scene so early. The point is that you would not be able to induct too many African American rockers beyond a very short list. Certainly none that have put out any rock music in the 25-30 years ago range.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Morrissey has a pretty good sense of humor.
The Meatmen performed a song for years called "Morrissey Must Die"
Yet, Morrissey chose the Meatmen for the hidden track on the Smiths tribute album
-
How Soon Is Now - The Meatmen

The Meatmen

One down three to go !

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

The Meatmen
One down three to go !

f-yeah

Last time I saw the Meatman, it was "Two down, two to go!"

#95 5 years ago

No Devo? No Doobie Brothers? No Rock and roll hall of fame.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

but country musicians don't get inducted.

I second and third that AYE

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

The point is that you would not be able to induct too many African American rockers beyond a very short list.

Quoted from usandthem:

Certainly none that have put out any rock music in the 25-30 years ago range.

Well, you have to be around at least 25 years to get into the HOF, so that only leaves us a 5 year span.

NWA, Prince, Public Enemy, Michael "Pedophile" Jackson, and Run-DMC were obvious choices that were already nominated.

I'm sure Rage, Robert Cray, Slash, God Forbid, Bad Brains, Living Color, Ice-T, Skindred, and Gary Clark Jr will keep the queue filled with Blacks.

#98 5 years ago

About time for Roxy Music to make the grade.
Just about all the 80s (new Wave/ Romantic) bands were directly influenced by Roxy Music (Ferry, Eno).

Sadly Rock& Roll as we used to know it is almost dead.
Very little new true rock music out there.

I doubt though that there will be many radio stations
playing the "classics" of the 2000 to present
rap, hip hop & pop hits of today
in 20-40 yrs like they do now for Classic rock radio.
Actually i think it was the boy bands and teen girl pop stars of the 90s that killed Rock.

Still some hope out there for rock though
with likes of Jack White, Greta Van Fleet and Foo Fighters.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Love them all. Country rock, yes. I met Carl Perkins. He was very nice. I didn't see myself as meeting him. I saw myself as meeting George Harrison's f'ing idol. Pretty awesome. While The Beatles were before my time, Perkins was WAY before my time. The Band is in my Top 10 all time. I love how Eric Clapton said that he left Cream after hearing The Band. He felt that Cream music was so superfluous after hearing The Band. Music from Big Pink is Roger Water's all-time favorite album. Absolutely love them.
These groups were definitely Country/Rock as you say. The "rock" aspect of the Country/rock tandem qualifies them for the HOF, in my opinion, especially since they're all awesome.

Most of those guys were inducted early on since they came onto the scene so early. The point is that you would not be able to induct too many African American rockers beyond a very short list. Certainly none that have put out any rock music in the 25-30 years ago range.

Heck how about anyone of any race as far as making "rock" music now? Who are they gonna put in 20 years from now? Greta Van Fleet????

#100 5 years ago

There is even a video on Clape's site where he go's to Tesco Vee's house and fixes his CFBL for him.

His house is filled to the ceiling with toys and old monster movie stuff.

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame-2019-old-men-rejoice-/page/2?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.