Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Psw757
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

covers.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I'm a huge music fan and will snag a music pin before too long. I know there are a handful of good / great machines already made and I know that license challenges exist for most other rock bands. Any guesses as to other bands popular enough that may allow a licensed machines or are we played out?!

In another post, it was claimed that the Kiss Army was huge and they had a large social media following. I know Facebook isn't the only measure of popularity, but for kicks I looked at Facebook likes for rock / alternative bands that formed pre-1990. There were only 21 rock bands / artists with > 10 million likes. I left off Michael Jackson with 75M likes and Madonna with 18M because they were a bit too pop for me. Any others that you think I missed? There were lots of other bands in the 4-6 million range (Van Halen, Scorpions, Skynyrd, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, etc.). The Who only had 5.6M likes but of course they are special

Besides Kiss in the works, who is our best hope for a new machine? One of these or someone else??

1) 41.3 Beatles (1967 Williams - Beat Time)
2) 36.9 Metallica (2013 Stern)
3) 32.0 Green Day
4) 29.8 AC/DC (2012 Stern)
5) 29.5 Guns and Roses (1994 Data East)
6) 29.1 Pink Floyd
7) 28.4 Queen
8 28.0 Nirvana
9) 27.8 Red Hot Chili Peppers
10) 26.0 Bon Jovi
11) 19.5 The Rolling Stones (1980 Bally, 2011 Stern)
12) 17.4 U2
13) 16.5 The Doors
14) 16.0 Aerosmith
15) 13.1 Led Zeppelin
16) 13.1 Iron Maiden
17) 12.6 Kiss (1979 Bally, 2015? Stern)
18) 12.6 Elvis Presley (2004 Stern)
19) 11.7 Black Sabbath
20) 11.7 Radiohead
21) 10.1 Pearl Jam

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

16) 13.1 Iron Maiden (1981 Stern)

Iron Maiden ain't Iron Maiden

#3 5 years ago

I'm always hoping for a Rush pin, but that probably won't happen from a company like Stern. Anyone else have tickets for the 40th anniversary tour coming up?

#4 5 years ago

Rush is awesome - I only saw them once - maybe I should again!

Why wouldn't Stern go for Rush - not popular enough? Seem like a good fit for their demographic.

#5 5 years ago

With ASCAP strong-arming their way into music licensing for pinball machines, you can bet there will be no more band themed machines. ASCAP would want people to buy yearly "copyright" licenses for each pinball just like they do now for jukeboxes (at $500 each).

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

Red Hot Chili Peppers

That's the closest one you have there to sparking my interest.

I listen to mostly alternative rock now, but from what I have seen dinosaur rock is the only thing that will go over well with most who are buying new machines.

#7 5 years ago

Bon Jovi would be cool. I could see Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chillie Peppers. I think we need to see duel themes with music moving forward . . . "Nirvana Vampire Hunter" or something.

#8 5 years ago

IMO these are my thoughts on good/bad themes for these bands and playing pinball to them. It's not to say I don't like them, I just don't think they mesh well with pinball.

1) 41.3 Beatles (1967 Williams - Beat Time) - bad theme
2) 36.9 Metallica (2013 Stern) - good theme
3) 32.0 Green Day - bad theme
4) 29.8 AC/DC (2012 Stern)- great theme
5) 29.5 Guns and Roses (1994 Data East) - good theme
6) 29.1 Pink Floyd - bad theme
7) 28.4 Queen - bad theme
8 28.0 Nirvana - good theme
9) 27.8 Red Hot Chili Peppers - good theme
10) 26.0 Bon Jovi - maybe/borderline
11) 19.5 The Rolling Stones (1980 Bally, 2011 Stern) - bad theme
12) 17.4 U2 - bad theme
13) 16.5 The Doors - bad theme
14) 16.0 Aerosmith - good theme
15) 13.1 Led Zeppelin - maybe/dunno?
16) 13.1 Iron Maiden - good theme
17) 12.6 Kiss (1979 Bally, 2015? Stern) - bad theme
18) 12.6 Elvis Presley (2004 Stern) - good theme
19) 11.7 Black Sabbath - bad theme - dio maybe?
20) 11.7 Radiohead - bad theme
21) 10.1 Pearl Jam - bad theme

#9 5 years ago

stern should just do a monsters of rock... ozzy, maiden, crue, priest etc. all on one playfield

#10 5 years ago

Dethklok/ Metalocalypse is about the only recent cutting edge band theme that might work.

#11 5 years ago

If Stern ever does a rush pin, they need to figure out how to engineer this guy into it.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Dethklok/ Metalocalypse is about the only recent cutting edge band theme that might work.

being unknown to about 99% of people might kill the deal...

#13 5 years ago

I don't care what music group theme they come out with next. If it plays like Metalica and AC/DC, I'm good to go!

#14 5 years ago

I'm seeing Rush at The Rock...floor seats too. Rush will never do a pin.

I think we are all overlooking the perfect band for a pin...The Monkees.

#15 5 years ago

I am surprised with these threads that country and western acts are never mentioned
Some of these guys have bigger fan basses than rock stars

#16 5 years ago

If it's not Ween or Primus I don't give a shit.

#17 5 years ago

I'm only in if it's one of these
Megadeth
Slayer
Anthrax
Iron Maiden

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

People that no longer care about faded rockers from the 70s and 80s might kill that deal as well.

#19 5 years ago

There is already a Rush virtual pin. It's workable. I think a rap pin would be way more fun and different. And some idiot rappers are sure to sign on.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

People that no longer care about faded rockers from the 70s and 80s might kill that deal as well.

you mean like Ac Dc or metallica?

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

you mean like Ac Dc or Metallica?

If you say they have faded, it must be true.

#22 5 years ago

I see Linkin Park has a whopping 63M likes, and was voted as the greatest artist of '00s in a Bracket Madness poll on VH1 in 2012. Are they the gateway to the next generation of Pinheads? Any other 90s-00s artists that might work?

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

I see Linkin Park has a whopping 63M likes, and was voted as the greatest artist of '00s in a Bracket Madness poll on VH1 in 2012. Are they the gateway to the next generation of Pinheads?

The next generation of pinheads parents used to listen to Linkin Park. I like the band and all, but it would still not be looking forward. I could give you a handful of bands that are happening now and maybe destined to get bigger, but that would not please those that want more dad rock pinball machines.

#24 5 years ago

Not everybody is going to want the same thing. Most people want Iron Maiden or Motorhead. It would seem.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

I see Linkin Park has a whopping 63M likes, and was voted as the greatest artist of '00s in a Bracket Madness poll on VH1 in 2012. Are they the gateway to the next generation of Pinheads? Any other 90s-00s artists that might work?

I put a linkin park song in my mustang pin and it sounds awesome to play pinball and listen to. Very high energy with a push of adrenalin.

1 month later
#26 5 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

I spoke to one of the band members of Linkin Park that I know and they are actually interested in doing a pin. If someone knows a company willing to put one out I can get you in touch.

#27 5 years ago

There are many bands I love that would make for terrible pins as there wouldn't be much well known toy theme and such to go for. I'd be highly interested in bands known for horror theatrics. Alice Cooper, Rob Zombie, etc.

#28 5 years ago

I think Iron Maiden would be the best theme for playfield and back glass art.

covers.jpg
#29 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

True, but to the 1% it would be so freakin' awesome!

"Do you like coffee???"

#30 5 years ago

I wonder if some of it has to do with the demographics of the folks who might buy such a pin. AC/DC and Kiss have a range of fans all ages, especially older folks who have the cash to pick up a $6000+ machine. That combined with the cool & familiar factor at a local arcade helps achieve a larger reach.

I think a Rush machine could accomplish the same...maybe. I mean, they don't have the mainstream media recognition, but they been packing arenas and stadiums for 40 years, which is an insane feat for any band.

Then there's this part of me thinking--and I hate myself for having this idea--why not a Taylor Swift pin? Yeah, I deserve everything thrown at me! But she has such a rabid following and mainstream attention that it could attract new fans to pinball, not to mention more girls for that silly "Girls of Pinball" thread that keeps popping up.

3 months later
#31 5 years ago

How about a Jimmy Buffet/margaritaville theme.

Can have blenders,boats,planes,rum,margaritas,Sharks,lost shaker of salt for toys in the game.

Lots of good music to back it all up

#32 5 years ago

Maiden is the obvious choice. Art would be awesome and music fits very well too.

Megadeth I would love also.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Bon Jovi would be cool. I could see Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chillie Peppers. I think we need to see duel themes with music moving forward . . . "Nirvana Vampire Hunter" or something.

Bon jovi??? Really?? I would boycott any company that did that.

#34 5 years ago

A game featuring the WHO would be pretty darn cool and The tommy pin doesn't count in my opinion as that is based on theirtheatrical music. I can see many of their hits fitting into a game very nicely with lights and special effects etc...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside