(Topic ID: 47222)

RobT AFM restored AFM FINISHED video added !

By McCune

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Eskaybee
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AFM-Restored1.jpg
image.jpg
switch.PNG
IMG_3730.JPG
AFM_Beater9.JPG
AFM_Beater8.JPG
AFM-Beater6.jpg
AFM_Beater5.JPG
AFM_Beater4.JPG
Picture_006.jpg
AFM_Beater3.JPG
AFM_Beater2.JPG
AFM_Beater10.JPG
AFM_Beater1.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 11 years ago

I've really got a ton of enjoyment from watching the progress of this restoration. The transformation has been pretty amazing. There is actually a part of me that is disappointed that this process is nearing an end since it means that I won't be getting any more updates!

The involvement in the process, and deciding what mods to add, what color trim, etc. and getting feedback from Jim was something that I was looking forward to getting from the BHZA experience. Since that didn't seem to be working out, I bailed on that endeavor, got a refund, and applied it to this AFM restoration, and got the exact experience that I was looking for.

One of the things that I really love about this is the fact that this is an AFM that was saved from the grave. This thing was toast in a big way. It was not playable. Many people would never have given this a second look. Still hard to believe that it's the same pin.

AFM_Beater1.JPGAFM_Beater1.JPG AFM_Beater10.JPGAFM_Beater10.JPG AFM_Beater2.JPGAFM_Beater2.JPG AFM_Beater3.JPGAFM_Beater3.JPG

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

This is awesome! I can't wait to play it. I know what your thinking rob, I know I know, you don't have to say it...

We are a fickle bunch, aren't we?! I'm looking forward to playing that sweet pin that you have coming to see if I change my mind on that one since I've only played routed ones in pretty poor shape.

Quoted from Spankey:

Awesome. I really wanted to give my old AFM the same treatment but it's in good hands. Rob, will your MM be next in line for restoration?
Did you change your mind on the black? I thought you were going chrome. I do love the black on AFM.

Good memory! Yes, I was planning on going chrome on this. One reason I was going to go chrome is that I didn't want to copy others who were doing black. In the end, though, I decided that it made more sense to just do what I thought looked best, not to mention that my MB will have chrome trim when it's restored.

So, no, MM is not next to be restored, MB will be next. Basically when the AFM is delivered, the MB will be picked up at the same time to get the same incredible treatment that the AFM did. My MB is much more in need of a restoration than my MM. That said, since MM is still one of my very favorite pins ever, the plan is to have it restored sometime next year.

#18 11 years ago

I should also note that the PF is a repro, and it was sent to Chris Hutchins at HEP for corrections, including sanding off a few layers of clear (these Mirco's were way too thick with clear) and re-clearing it. He previously posted some videos on YouTube of the process that I'm sure a lot of you saw. One of the AFM PFs was mine.

Quoted from Spankey:

MB will be awesome. Doing custom painting on the monsters?

Haven't got that far yet. Still just enjoying the AFM ride for now. But yeah, it seems like some of those custom painted monsters look pretty cool.

#21 11 years ago

more "before" pics.

Got to love the use of the baling wire in the last pic.

AFM_Beater4.JPGAFM_Beater4.JPG AFM_Beater5.JPGAFM_Beater5.JPG AFM-Beater6.jpgAFM-Beater6.jpg AFM_Beater8.JPGAFM_Beater8.JPG AFM_Beater9.JPGAFM_Beater9.JPG

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

looks fantastic Jim

Fixed it for ya.

Seriously, Jim deserves the credit for this thing looking like it does. I've just been along for the ride...and it's been a hell of a lot of fun.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Looks like i'm gonna win the race over Rob as to who is gonna get their AFM 1st though.....

I didn't know it was a race?

I would add: you can't rush perfection. Sorry to hear that Bryan rushed yours out the door.

1 month later
#71 10 years ago

I've got to update this thread. I received my restored AFM, personally delivered by Jim, a few weeks ago. Needless to say, the pin looks beyond amazing! Simply incredible attention to detail. I could not possibly be happier with the results! Also, as I said before, I really loved being involved in the process along the way and the ability to see the pictures that Jim would add to the link above as he progressed through the restoration. The before and after pics are startling.

Due to time constraints in getting the pin to me Jim didn't have time to get the final pictures done, so I will have to get to that as soon as I can. In the meantime, I will post a small teaser pic. AFM-Restored1.jpgAFM-Restored1.jpg

#72 10 years ago

I'm still planning on posting still photographs, but in the meantime I shot a 1080p video. Excuse the length, way longer than it should be (or needs to be), this is one of my first videos shot with a camcorder instead of my iPhone. I have a LOT to learn about editing (obviously).

Be sure to watch in 1080p resolution for best results.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from asnatlas:

This machine looks AWESOME... I would not be able to bring myself to play it...

I've been playing the crap out of it almost non stop since I got it three weeks ago. I wish I had taken video when I first got it as it was even more pristine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.50
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 37.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robt-afm-restore-progress-333-pictures-of-this-trashed-afm?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.