Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Anyone else getting a lot of the robo/automated calls lately on their cell phone?

The robots seem to think I am a good candidate to refinance my student loans (even though I paid those off years ago), consolidate my credit card debt (don't have any), or maybe even win a vacation (tempted, but no thanks).

They have been creative enough to use local area codes with their numbers; I usually don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number anyway but now they have started leaving recorded messages. Not particular about the time either -- weekdays, evenings, Sunday afternoons. . . all seem to be fair game. Part of me is curious as to how much success per call is generated from their tactics. There must be some or they would not bother, right?

A couple times I've tried to add myself to the "do not call back" option that is given, but I swear that has resulted in even more phone calls.

Oh well, just another inconvenience in order to have convenience. If I ever list another pinball machine for sale on Pinside and you call about it make sure to leave a message. . . I'm not ignoring you but prefer to talk to real people!

#2 5 years ago

I get them. Don't answer. Block number.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Canadian Pharmacy. Pakistan IRS, credit card debt reduction, etc. yeah I get those calls. Nothing you can do about it. Block em and they still pop up like a turd you can't flush. Gotten so bad, I never answer calls I don't recognize.

#4 5 years ago

Download RoboKiller.

Seriously, it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Not only will it block unwanted calls, it forwards the call to an automated message pretending to be a person. You can make your own message or use one of the 20 precanned messages.

A telemarketer called me and had a 3 minute conversation with a woman and a crying baby. It’s about $20 a year, but oh man, so worth it!

#5 5 years ago

"I've been trying to get in touch with you regarding your car's warranty."

#6 5 years ago

And how about the "Google Listing" Shit! Man I dream about sending some kind of high electrical pulse through the airwaves to destroy that Google Bullshit!
    I can't believe that an entity as powerful as Google lets these hackers use it's name to traumatize people constantly day in day out. I don't know about you guys but Google is now a cussword around here!

#7 5 years ago

HMMMM...... Robo killer huh may have to give that one a try.

#8 5 years ago

It's a big problem. FCC is looking at it very closely. I work for a company that makes a product to detect these calls, prevent them and at a minimum warn end users the likelihood it's a spam call. Our solution is in a few major wireless carriers offerings (under their name) for a few bucks a month.

Which cell provider you with?

#9 5 years ago

you can try an app called nomorobo. It;s what verizon recommends when you call them complaining about the robocalls. Of course there is a fee though. It's like $2/mo. Works decent though.

#10 5 years ago

Yep , because of hotel reservations (that I didn't make) I have been selected to win a free cruise vacation .

#11 5 years ago

I usually ask robo chick really inappropriate questions, to which she usually laughs with some type of general response...sooo the other day a very robotic sounding young man calls and i start to go on about the color of his underwear....to which he truthfully answered

#12 5 years ago

Almost all these BS calls are local and have the same three digit prefix as my phone number.

#13 5 years ago

These days I never answer a call from a number I don't recognize. If it's important, they'll leave a message! If you pick up and talk, you're a warm body to them... and they'll sell your number for a little secondary income.

I use Nomo-Robo for the [soon to be gone] land line - it is awesome and free. Their shtick is building up a database of scam numbers and selling that to other services.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Almost all these BS calls are local and have the same three digit prefix as my phone number.

They're pretending to be local...

#15 5 years ago

I use Hiya. Instant blockage, and it’s free. It even understands the local number stuff.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

"I've been trying to get in touch with you regarding your car's warranty."

Shit is out of control.

#17 5 years ago

This is Rachel from credit card services.

#18 5 years ago

Ummm...hello?

THIS IS NOT A SALES CALL!!! Our records indicate that you have stayed at one of our sister resorts in the...

Click

#19 5 years ago

You guys are missing out. My robot calls are in Korean, or Tawaineese, or Chinese, or one of those Asian countries.

#20 5 years ago

I love the way in Seinfeld how Jerry handles a telemarketer call.

#21 5 years ago

My phone puts up an almost entirely red screen that says something like "suspected spam caller" with the option to immediately block the number. I don't have any special app or anything installed.

Yeah, I've been getting more lately. The local spammer I get most often (changing phone numbers) claims to work for the "joke law office". Or that's what my phone transcribes the voice message-to-text as saying. The phone transcribes "joke law office" consistently. I've never actually listened to the messages of course.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I love the way in Seinfeld how Jerry handles a telemarketer call.

Yes I miss when they were people and you could screw with them. I'ev tried to sit through the wait and yell at them but they dump me immediately.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robot-cell-phone-calls?hl=xbmanx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.