• Latest reply 11 years ago by kguenther6
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hello ,

After a waxing of the playfield my beloved data east ROBOCOP
does not start up!

The lights go on and it says "robocop" but thats it. The display doesnt light up but when I turn it of it blinks one segment very fast. When I try to turn it on and off repeatetly the fuse in my house blows....

Any help what I should do would be very welcome since I have very limited knowlage off it.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

BasD

#2 11 years ago

You shouldn't turn the machine on and off repeatedly. It stresses the electronics and can cause premature failure of some of the components.

#3 11 years ago

thanks , should have known...

But what can I do?

Robocop is my medival madness

#4 11 years ago

Anybody?

#5 11 years ago

check voltages and try re seating the ribbon cable for display board

does the cpu leds act normally at start up ?
like a glimpse of pia led and then go to light blanc led and remain on !
the middle led should stay on all the time ( is 5 vcc test )

check also power supply connector 5 Vcc to cpu
sound robocop at start up can be heard without a good boot of the CPU !

#6 11 years ago

Thanks pinball doktor!
I did reseat the cable and checked the leds. It does work now and the leds light up like you said but after 15 minutes of playing it stopped again.

The display goes out, it says Robocop one time but that it.
I really have no idea how to check the power connector supply, I have no technical skills I m afaid.
Anyother "easy" suggestions?

Greetings from the nerherlands,
Bas

#7 11 years ago

Sounds like you could have a grounding issue. Data East games are notorious for this. Here is a great guide for Data East repairs (see section 3c.). Good luck!

http://hansbalk.home.xs4all.nl/rep/ds/index2.htm#reset

#8 11 years ago

More info from this article quoted. Check this easy fix first:

"Random Game Resets On JP, LAH and TftC.
During game play, the games Jurassic Park, Last Action Hero and Tales from the Crypt randomly reset. This occurs beacuse the +5 volt line is shorting against the ground backbox metal plate. This grounding plate lies behind all of the printed circuit boards mounted inside the backbox. The metal plate can bow, causing it to intermittently short against one of the backbox circuit boards. This will cause the game to reset. To fix this problem, remove all the circuit boards (label the connectors!), and remount the metal backbox grounding plate to remove the bow. Another solution is to remove the sound board and affix an insulting material to the metal plate directly behind the sound board at connector CN2. This will insulate the metal grounding plate from the sound board (which is the board most affected by this bowing metal plate). Make sure the insulating material is non-conductive, and thick enough so it cannot be perforated. This problem was discussed in service bulletin number 55."

#9 11 years ago

Thank you Single banana!
I will have a look at the grounding plates. Hopes this will solve it for good.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Bas

#10 11 years ago

You need to do as doctor_pinball suggested. Look at your CPU led's. Follow the directions on this link:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Data_East_CPU_Board_LED_Flash_Sequence

It will tell you what the led's should be doing. Try to catch it with the problem on boot up. But if you can't catch the problem on boot up and it will only do it after playing for 15 minutes then look at the led's when the problem occurs. Then report back what you saw with the led's.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robocop-does-not-start-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.