IMG_7293 (resized).jpeg
20230813_172213 (resized).jpg
MPU004.pdf (PDF preview)
Pinside_forum_7704045_0 (resized).jpg
20230807_161942 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 7.45.08 AM (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 6.49.04 AM (resized).jpg
16913159548263188604343872213635 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vec-tor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

I found this flap from Bay Area amusements, not sure if it's the right one or not?

I have that part number penciled in my manual.
Ramp flap. 535-5117-00.

4 months later
#227 6 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

A previous owner of my Robocop used some very stiff wire and weaved it around the posts and let it stick out enough to stop that from happening. It’s very effective!

That is factory! The Simpson pinball had the same thing.
pg. 27 item #6. Ball Deflector Spring 265-5010-00

1 year later
#274 5 years ago

Thanks tonedef131 for the info.

1 year later
#437 4 years ago

On the Robocop I had at the time, I took the "I'll buy that for a dollar"
plastic set piece and pitched it so the viewer could see it.
Today, it is neat to see the mods that are available.

#439 4 years ago

Yup!

#444 4 years ago

Excellent!

3 weeks later
#527 3 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

Help needed.
My lock ball ramp spring flap has split (see pics). I have replaced it temporarily with a piece of lexan which seems to be working really well but I don't think it will have the staying power that the original metal one had.
It measures 2 1/4 inches by 1 1/4 inches and, as with everything else Robocop pin related, they are like rocking horse poop. I have found one in the Netherlands which is shorter at 1 3/8 inches (this is marked as a replacement for a 'Scared Stiff' pin playfield part).
I don't have a micrometer so I was hoping someone on the forum has and would be able to measure the thickness for me. I would then buy the steel sheet and cut it myself.
Marco supplies a piece of 0.006inch thick blue spring steel which I think would do but it would cost me $40 plus for the shipping to the UK when the item is only $5.[quoted image][quoted image]

Is ti possible to make a pattern copy of the part on paper/pdf file? I could use a copy...
The one I have was all hacked-up, and I never knew how it was supposed to look.
Regards.

#531 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Are you needing a wire gate, Vec-tor? I think I could make you one. It looks less complicated than the Catacomb gate.

cottonm4
I need the pattern to the tempered blue steel flap that breaks. The one I have
is all mutilated... I never knew how it is supposed to be...
Regards.

1 week later
#550 3 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

I don't know if you got your flap printed and made but I made mine today and it turned out that the flap is not scale critical. I cut mine slightly out of line but it works perfectly. I just made sure that the screw holes were in the right place. The trimmed shape isn't critical either.

Thehipster
I was finally able to go to the printers and get it printed...
I had them print different sizes... I used a rivet as a guide...
Now, I have the daunting task of having to dig the game out of
storage... Thank you so much for your help; I really appreciate it.
Regards.

#552 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have version 3.4. Did not know there was a 3.5.
Sound problems
Turbo sounds: Those cool sounds that come from the slings and pops.
1) My turbo sounds come and go depending on whether I hit some particular switch, or not. I like the turbo sounds and wish they were on 100%.
2) Inlane switch behavior: With a fresh ball on the play field, and the first pass through both of my inlanes, the inlanes will not will not register a sound. On the next pass through an inlane the sound registers correctly and will continue for each inlane pass thereafter. After the Ball 1 drains, the same behavior returns for ball 2 and then Ball 3.
I do not know if any scores are being registered when my inlanes are silent.
Are we talking about the same thing?

Food for thought: Data East machine code, I do not know about Robo Cop,
---- is programed rather odd. The game has mini sub routines all over the place...
---- The switches could be in one "mode" then it would have to delete that mode
---- and insert another "mode" for a new condition... rather than have one table
---- too lookup for a switch subroutine... then test conditions on that switch closer
---- program subroutine, and execution what ever needs to be done.

#571 3 years ago

The rom library from Stern as Robocop as
B5-A34
C5-A34

#582 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Something new to try, very interesting!
So last we left off, Robocop has POTO MPU roms installed so I can test the switches. When I hit the switches regardless of speed between locations, a sound effect always goes off. With the Robocop MPU roms, several switches will "drop out" sound effects but the MPU is still seeing the switches as the score goes up, lights fire, etc.
Chad suggested instead of proceeding switch to switch rapidly during testing trying waiting 5 seconds between pressing the switches. To my surprise, the sound effects worked perfect every single time. When you rapidly rotate through them like when you are playing a game they drop out again.
Try cycling through your switches with a 3-4 second delay between locations and report back, I think ChadH is onto something.

If you want some fun... and you have a POTO pinball...
Like I posted above #552 with the funky program...
Play a game of POTO... and in game over mode
Take the glass off and spin the spinner.
For those who don't know... even tho the game is
in game over mode the spinner switch mode is in game play.

#589 3 years ago

I think to fix the eject hop out is to cut out the back wall and set the
stop bracket back a bit. Williams would cut a trough for their system 11
games... The worst game to have constant pop out is IJ.
I tried putting an arched hook on the top part of the stop bracket
along with a rubber baking as a sort of shock absorber to the
assembly. Newer games use a VUK style mechanism.

1 week later
#614 3 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

Also it is impossible to get the finish that the manufactured ones have

Steel rule cut dies.

#616 3 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

Just had to search online to find out what a steel rule die was and it looks industrial. Are they a flexible/interchngeable steel system that you make the shape you require with or is it more complicated than that?

Its a knife cutting technique for large runes. Punch outs, decals, plastic sets, etc,etc,etc.
I had a company make Williams sponge grommets many years ago... They had round dies
to make them and extra material to use up... I wish they where still in business.

1 month later
#679 3 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

These are pics of my much needed decals.
The first is Emil as he was with burn marks. The second is my amateur attempt to recreate him. I cut the old decal out with the tip of a craft knife and it came off very easily and then scraped off the adhesive powdered residue. I am going to do another and my daughter is going to paint in the white shadow by hand (she is a bona fide artist). The dark marks on the right of the picture are on the burned out insert underneath.
The third pic shows Jones and Boddicker. The white cloudiness is the dried out adhesive under the decal and it scrapes off with a craft knife. Their inserts are burned out too.
If you look closely at the Boddicker and Emil decals you will see that the true circle of the decal is in the white handcuff design. I am going to make my replacement like those. Since I have never attempted or know how to change an insert there are exiting times ahead.
I have ordered three new 1 1/2 inch inserts from pinball center in Germany and I hope they fit (another item that is not readily available in the UK). [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ouch!

3 weeks later
#699 3 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

The assemblies are fine and I have given them a clean (no mushrooming on the plungers and the sleeves are fine) and they are working without a hitch. Don't get me wrong they work okay but they just don't seem to have that extra oomph.

Do you have the right caps to the switch actuators?

3 weeks later
#725 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Does anyone know what plastic goes in the spot on the back rail. Under the wire form drop and to the right
Thanks[quoted image]

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#726 3 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

3 weeks later
#796 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Can some please confirm that their jumpers are the same ? I don’t need a photo just confirmation.
Thanks.
[quoted image]

Same on all Data East games.... J3&J4---- ROM 5B,5C.

1 month later
#812 3 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Red wires go to the cathode side of the diodes.

#819 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Hey cottonm4 , are our sling coils in different orientations? And does that matter? I’m still fairly new to pinball so forgive me if this is a noobish question lol.

Your coils are in the factory OEM position.

2 weeks later
#834 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Three items.
!) I did not like how weak the spinner is on Robocop. One reason, IMO, is the spinner is making its scores with a micro switch. I'm thinking that little switch button creates drag so I replaced the microswitch.
[quoted image]
I replaced the micro switch with a vintage style blade switch set up. I am getting much better spins now. It helps to improve the score since I am getting more spins. This mod does not seem like it make the scoring unbalanced.
[quoted image]
I had to move the mounting holes and reposition the blade switches but there is plenty of space to allow the swap to happen. The mod is easily reversible should I change my mind.
[quoted image]
It does not match the spins I get on my solid state pins but it is better than it was.
=====================================================
Some time back I installed Titan rubbers on my Robocop. I like Titans, but I just changed my slingshot rubbers back to the old-style whites. The Titans seemed to get stretched a little smaller when wrapping around the sling post just above the flippers and made shooting post passes a little more difficult.
The old style whites are just a little better with post passes, IMO.
===========================
I have had me share of headaches with the flippers on this pin. Sometimes they kick like mules and other times a flipper could barely knock the ball the distances of 2 or 3 inches. Flipper problems with Robocop are a known problem. DE eventually replaced blade style flipper switches with mirco switches for the flippers.
My situation would be my flippers were hitting hard and then just go soft for some reason I could not figure out. My right flipper got really bad the other day. I checked the plunger and installed a new sleeve. This was no help. It would be hot for one or two flips and then go ice cold for a couple of flips. Hot then cold. And repeat.
My flipper blade gaps were in spec but I figured I would try something different. I closed up the gap between the flipper switch blade contacts with a gap that is about the same measurement as a business card and that has seemed to have solved my "weak" flipper problem. And now they are kicking like mules again.
============================
I need to get back to work. I am going to swap my older ROMs back into the machine and see if that cures the issues of some switches not registering on the first rollover in an inlane. I hope this will bring my sounds back.

There is a fine line adjustment on the spinner rod, with how it traverses the hole in the playfield.
I have come across many that ether rub against the back side, or the front side, of the spinner
position.

#838 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

In other news, I got my right hand flipper back and hitting hard. I closed the gap between the flipper blade switch contacts. Just making contact did not seem to be enough. It needed good, hard, positive contact. If anybody runs into some flaky acting flippers you might consider trying to close the switch gap to the barest minimum.
[quoted image]

Is the cabinet flipper switch you have an old style tungsten point contact?
I believe Robocop has solid state flippers and thus should have gold contact points.
More or less like this?
https://www.marcospecialties.com//images/products/A-00455/large.jpg

#849 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is video I made of Robocop going nuts. I am at a loss with this.
Before it got to this point, I starting getting callouts for the upper right hand saucer such as, " I like it!. And the upper right hand saucer started trying to kick out a ball that was not there.

Could it be the ram deteriorating?

2 weeks later
#926 3 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Robocop on the playfield is what colour they should be and clearly not. Original plastics match the blue Robocop colour.
[quoted image]

Boy that is kind of sad. They should have done a Pantone color profile.
It looks from your picture the blue has some red...has a violet vibe.
The OEM blue is more of a toned down Process Blue with Reflex Blue.

#949 3 years ago

You have a switch that has it's contact points to close together.
check the standup switches by the pop bumpers....and others, etc,etc,etc.

#963 3 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

The switch under the pop bumper has 2 switches, one for the pop bumper solenoid and the other for scoring points.

Ding, ding,ding.

#969 3 years ago

If you have the three balls in the trough, then it is telling you that those switches are closed.
AKA activated.

1 week later
#998 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

New problem shows up.
I will be playing a game and everything is rolling along. All of a sudden, my game dies and the ball drains. I push the credit button and can start a new game successfully.
This just happened to me again. This the 4th time.
What is causing my Robocop to go dead in the middle of a game but yet let's me start a new game as if nothing has happened?
Thoughts are appreciated.

Check power supply +5volts... A bad capacitor to the regulator ic can cause problems.

#1007 3 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Adjusted flipper switch as close as possible but still has the issue, you can see a 18 secs and 20 secs when it goes weaker.

1) Check cold solder joints.
2) Check wires to the idc connectors.
3) Check fuse holders.
4) Check solder connections.

2 weeks later
#1064 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't think those ramp protectors will do anything you you at all with the current construction. The way I see it is that the ball impact energy to the protector is just going to be transferred to the ramp itself since the protector is mounted to the ramp. The protector needs to be mounted in such a way that ball impact is transferred to something else behinds the ramp.
IMO, some sort of mounting devise needs to mount to the post so the post can take the impact.
The one on my Robocop was cracked when I bought it. Some idiot piled on a crap load of glue thinking that would do some good. It didn't. I ground off a lot of the glue but could not get it all and the ramp was still just as cracked. The crack did not hurt performance but it was and is ugly.
[quoted image]
To keep it from cracking any more I had to buttress on the backside with some polycarbonate plastic (Lexan). This "repaired" the crack and made the area stronger. But I located a non-broken ramp and now use it. But I also buttressed my replacement with some poly on the backside. Now it is good and solid.
IMO, this is what you need to do to keep it from cracking anymore. If you look carefully, on the other side, the inboard side, you can see another crack I did not see until just now. With the ramp, the cracks on both sides have originated from the edge off the holes the locate the rivets that hold that thin piece of metal. I just now really noticed that; I am going need to do this buttress work to my unbroken ramp so it does not wind up looking like this one.
[quoted image]

I used a Gottlieb 1½" long bracket that seemed to work.
1) item 21158

#1070 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Vex-tor, where can I buy this bracket at?
Is this something that Steve at PBR would have?

I think so... Marco Specialties has it listed...
I bought several many years ago, from a Gottlieb distributor..
That was back in 1986... used them to beef-up the side walls of Gold Wings etc.
The part worked really well on the ramp assembly entrance of the pinball machine by Data East,
Back to the Future.

#1090 3 years ago

Note: I got a batch of TIP122 that are bad...
The transistors worked fine when it fired off the brights/flasher lamps...
but when I would add a known good new coil, the transistor would fail!!!
Yes, the transistors came from the "other country..."
I had to replace the TIP122 from another lot and all is fine.
It really sucks having to rely on components from a country that short changes you...
I have noticed that in the past twenty years IC's are not as good has the ones made
back in the seventy's/eighty's... plus the practice of white washing the chips with new
numbers sucks... you never know what IC your are really getting and whether or not
it is, what is marked.

#1097 3 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

Thanks for taking the time to post these. They look like mine so I am reassured.
The only thing which seems odd is that on mine there is no 'resistor' between the cap and the lug but since it worked fine for 2 years I'm guessing it didn't need it.

The resistor/capacitor part of the switch, is designed to hold the pulse of the switch contacts
long enough so as the ic's can process the pulse to make a good transistor ground bleed.

1 month later
#1171 3 years ago

I have just done replacing caps to the +5 volt regulator circuitry.
I would check and replace:
C1, C2, C3 & C7.

1 month later
#1338 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Did you make yourself a wooden block to back the targets with?

The OEM part had thick dens rubber squares behind all the standup round target faces.

#1352 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have found what I need to convert to micro switches for flipper switches. It is neat looking setup. Trouble is the 535-5866-00 bracket seems to be NLA. I can get the blades, rivets, screws, and the switch. It looks like I am going to have to make the bracket unless I can find some used one for sale. I don't even know which DE pins used this setup.
My right flipper just keeps keeps kicking me in the ass. I am going to pursue this.
If anybody has any knowledge about these brackets I am all ears.
Thanks
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-5251-00
[quoted image]
I think I will take this to the DE thread.

Data East Phantom of the Opera used the same cabinet switch setup.

#1353 3 years ago

Note: the micro switch is known to fail after XX amounts of activation.

#1358 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Solved
Ed flasher is on the pf...

1 month later
#1422 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:There's your problem. You need a resistor for those capacitors in order for them to work properly.

True.

#1424 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

But neither the cap nor the resistor are shown on the drawing anywhere that I can see. So, unless you just know they need to be here, you will be clueless with looking at the prints.

pg.35 bottom bar.... far right ALL [ 100 Ohm 1/4 W 22uf 25V ]

#1440 2 years ago

Note:
All Data East spot targets have had black density foam backing.

5 months later
#1558 2 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

i have the remains of stickers on the flippers
it looks like it did have words, but they have faded away
what was printed on these? as i do have a label printer that should do the trick

Inko has the flipper art files.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vec-tor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robocop-club-if-you-own-one-or-use-to?tu=vec-tor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.