IMG_7293 (resized).jpeg
20230813_172213 (resized).jpg
MPU004.pdf (PDF preview)
Pinside_forum_7704045_0 (resized).jpg
20230807_161942 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 7.45.08 AM (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 6.49.04 AM (resized).jpg
16913159548263188604343872213635 (resized).jpg
There are 1,953 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 40.
#1551 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

9 pin 156 Molex, Great Plains Electronics.

Those are the IDC connectors and take that special tool to install the wire into.

#1552 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Those are the IDC connectors and take that special tool to install the wire into.

IDC should be chucked in trash and replaced with Molex & Trifurcon terminals. Mandatory update for Data East with burnt GI connectors or you will be doing it again.

#1553 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

IDC should be chucked in trash and replaced with Molex & Trifurcon terminals. Mandatory update for Data East with burnt GI connectors or you will be doing it again.

Sounds good. Thanks!

1 week later
#1554 2 years ago

what color post are meant to be on this game?
my machine has clear, blue and red posts

EDIT
looked at the manual, yep, uses three different post colors

#1555 2 years ago

Those are the correct colors.

#1556 2 years ago

i have the remains of stickers on the flippers
it looks like it did have words, but they have faded away
what was printed on these? as i do have a label printer that should do the trick

#1557 2 years ago

I believe that they said "solid state"

#1558 2 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

i have the remains of stickers on the flippers
it looks like it did have words, but they have faded away
what was printed on these? as i do have a label printer that should do the trick

Inko has the flipper art files.

#1559 2 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

I believe that they said "solid state"

that's boring

#1560 2 years ago

I’m swapping my mpu with a rottendog. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement microprocessor? Location is 3D. Mine has seen some corrosion.

#1561 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

I’m swapping my mpu with a rottendog. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement microprocessor? Location is 3D. Mine has seen some corrosion.

Great Plains Electronics is reliable

#1562 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Great Plains Electronics is reliable

I’ll check. Tried searching online by the part number and came up empty.
I’ll end up replacing the game roms as well. The 2 in my existing machine don’t have jumpers as the rottendog instructions indicated.
Is this some sort of anomaly or are other people using full port roms?

#1563 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

I’ll check. Tried searching online by the part number and came up empty.
I’ll end up replacing the game roms as well. The 2 in my existing machine don’t have jumpers as the rottendog instructions indicated.
Is this some sort of anomaly or are other people using full port roms?

Look up a 6802 over at GPE, if he is out drop me a line as I keep several on hand.

There is jumpers, but soldered in place depending on the EPROM sized used.

#1564 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Look up a 6802 over at GPE, if he is out drop me a line as I keep several on hand.
There is jumpers, but soldered in place depending on the EPROM sized used.

I ended up cleaning and reusing the one I had. It works fine. Finally my basket case machine is playing 100%

#1565 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

I ended up cleaning and reusing the one I had. It works fine. Finally my basket case machine is playing 100%

I didn’t see any 6802’s there. There’s some odd things happening now with my machine. It’s asking for initials after games that don't qualify for high score. I wonder if a new set of roms and a processor would help that.

#1566 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

I didn’t see any 6802’s there. There’s some odd things happening now with my machine. It’s asking for initials after games that don't qualify for high score. I wonder if a new set of roms and a processor would help that.

Have another game you can swap CPUs? I'd suspect the board ram before a bad cpu though.

#1567 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

There’s some odd things happening now with my machine. It’s asking for initials after games that don't qualify for high score. I wonder if a new set of roms and a processor would help that.

This is a glitch in the actual ROM code. I'm not sure what triggers it, but it's easy to fix. Just perform a factory restore in adjustments and everything will work correctly again.

I've ran into this glitch a few times now and not just on my machine, but on other Robocop pinball machines (4 total and on PinMAME) as well.

#1568 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

This is a glitch in the actual ROM code. I'm not sure what triggers it, but it's easy to fix. Just perform a factory restore in adjustments and everything will work correctly again.
I've ran into this glitch a few times now and not just on my machine, but on other Robocop pinball machines (4 total and on PinMAME) as well.

Good to know! I will do that and then change my settings again

#1569 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Have another game you can swap CPUs? I'd suspect the board ram before a bad cpu though.

It’s working fine for now. I just didn’t feel good about putting something with corrosion on it into a new board. I actually put in an order with great plains for one but I ordered the wrong size! It was a 6500 instead of a 6800. Hopefully they let me cancel the order.

#1570 2 years ago

Do your guys machines say 3,0 with the updated roms? I ordered some 3.4s but I’m not sure if the 3,0 on my machine means those or the older 2.9s…
I wonder what the differences are

#1571 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

Do your guys machines say 3,0 with the updated roms? I ordered some 3.4s but I’m not sure if the 3,0 on my machine means those or the older 2.9s…
I wonder what the differences are

I have updated ROMs. Mine fires up with A-30

#1572 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

This happens on mine too, not all the time but will do it now and again with the latest rom.

1 week later
#1573 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

This happens on mine too, not all the time but will do it now and again with the latest rom.

Installed new roms and mine come up as A 3,4. Seems to be registering high scores fine now and haven’t had the issue since installing.

#1574 2 years ago

This may be a common issue or mine needs an adjustment:
Does anyone have an issue where “jumping” reports as crashed although you make the jump? The jump counter seems to be off on mine as well. Usually when I make the ramp to book a criminal it will register the arrest but doesn’t record the jump when counting. Common or no?

#1575 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

Does anyone have an issue where “jumping” reports as crashed although you make the jump?

Check switch #31 (left ramp) and make sure it is clicking when when the ball passes through. You may need to adjust the leaf. That switch verifies that you completed the jump.

#1576 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Check switch #31 (left ramp) and make sure it is clicking when when the ball passes through. You may need to adjust the leaf. That switch verifies that you completed the jump.

Adjusted ever so slightly and now I’m the jump king at 9! Thanks

#1577 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

I understand. How do your decals look now? Do you mind sharing? I’m going to have to do the same things.

I have the jpegs somewhere. They would need to be re-sized to suit your pin inserts

20220101_163026 (resized).jpg20220101_163026 (resized).jpg20220101_163035 (resized).jpg20220101_163035 (resized).jpg20220101_163056 (resized).jpg20220101_163056 (resized).jpg20220101_163102 (resized).jpg20220101_163102 (resized).jpg20220101_163104 (resized).jpg20220101_163104 (resized).jpg
#1578 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

Installed new roms and mine come up as A 3,4. Seems to be registering high scores fine now and haven’t had the issue since installing.

Have 3.4 on mine and sometimes the first few games you can put your name up with low scores, high scores are still saved in there. I’m wondering if it has a high score of the day type thing going on?
Not really payed any attention to it as just play a few games now and again.

#1579 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Have 3.4 on mine and sometimes the first few games you can put your name up with low scores, high scores are still saved in there. I’m wondering if it has a high score of the day type thing going on?

Is your memory protect switch working?

I discovered on my machine that the memory protect switch wasn't closing with the coin door. It turned out that someone bent the metal bracket that the switch is connected to. After fixing the problem, I haven't haven't ran into the score reset glitch in over 8 months now.

#1580 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Is your memory protect switch working?
I discovered on my machine that the memory protect switch wasn't closing with the coin door. It turned out that someone bent the metal bracket that the switch is connected to. After fixing the problem, I haven't haven't ran into the score reset glitch in over 8 months now.

Not even heard of that, will look into it thanks.
It keeps the main high scores in the memory, you just seem to be able to add lower end scores sometimes for some reason.

#1581 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Not even heard of that, will look into it thanks.
It keeps the main high scores in the memory, you just seem to be able to add lower end scores sometimes for some reason.

I had no issues for the first 40 games or so and then last night it was doing this again. Went away after a handful of games. New 3.4 roms didn’t quite fix the issue but it doesn’t seem as frequent. Doesn’t affect existing high score

#1582 2 years ago

Just sharing my ED-209 mod. Found an ED-209 Xmas ornament as suggested in this forum that was almost short enough to fit. Had to cut the figure at the leg joints, drill, pin, reglue so it’s crouching down more for clearance. It was easy to touch up the paint with a silver paint stick and a sharpie. I glued a fender washer between the feet in order to catch a post and essentially make it removable. The small red leds are just tucked up behind his gun arms like antennae, wiring hidden behind. They are hardly noticeable in game anyways. Behind it I bent the flasher up so the figure is creepily backlit when flashing. Put a spotlight with a purple led focused on it which added a really cool effect. The light wanders a bit after many games which is why it’s not directly on it. Anyways, looks way more legit than the cheap looking hot glue origami mess that was on it originally.

286AAC2D-980D-423E-8D26-374E278882FD (resized).jpeg286AAC2D-980D-423E-8D26-374E278882FD (resized).jpeg53EB4109-3AC1-42B7-8C27-9455BD4782F7 (resized).jpeg53EB4109-3AC1-42B7-8C27-9455BD4782F7 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#1583 2 years ago

Had some people over yesterday and Robocop had a weird issue with the right flipper, power was intermittent. Checked all connections, no issue. For some reason I decided to hold the playfield up while flipping and it worked perfect.
Turns out the new flipper switch (replaced a while back) which is the correct part was touching under the apron where the plunger gauge is, the paint was wearing away and that’s when the fault started! Put some electrical tape under there for a quick fix but guess I will just bend the apron up there a bit.

Might help someone with a right flipper issue.

2 weeks later
#1584 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

Just sharing my ED-209 mod. Found an ED-209 Xmas ornament as suggested in this forum that was almost short enough to fit. Had to cut the figure at the leg joints, drill, pin, reglue so it’s crouching down more for clearance. It was easy to touch up the paint with a silver paint stick and a sharpie. I glued a fender washer between the feet in order to catch a post and essentially make it removable. The small red leds are just tucked up behind his gun arms like antennae, wiring hidden behind. They are hardly noticeable in game anyways. Behind it I bent the flasher up so the figure is creepily backlit when flashing. Put a spotlight with a purple led focused on it which added a really cool effect. The light wanders a bit after many games which is why it’s not directly on it. Anyways, looks way more legit than the cheap looking hot glue origami mess that was on it originally.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, that was this ornament from Middle of Beyond.

https://middleofbeyond.com/products/rc-ed209-ornament

I have finally got around to working on mine after several months.

IMG_9170 (resized).jpgIMG_9170 (resized).jpg

I have it in place on the plastic.

IMG_9193 (resized).jpgIMG_9193 (resized).jpg

I cut the legs off completely. They are resin and pinned with a piece of wire. A Dremel with cutoff wheel cut right through.

IMG_9171 (resized).jpgIMG_9171 (resized).jpg

My next mod required some surgery to the machine gun pods.

IMG_9172 (resized).jpgIMG_9172 (resized).jpg

Then I drilled some big holes in both gun pods to make ready to add some larger LEDs to the pods.

IMG_9175 (resized).jpgIMG_9175 (resized).jpg

IMG_9183 (resized).jpgIMG_9183 (resized).jpg

IMG_9185 (resized).jpgIMG_9185 (resized).jpg

IMG_9189 (resized).jpgIMG_9189 (resized).jpg

IMG_9177 (resized).jpgIMG_9177 (resized).jpg

As you know, those little bitty red lights the DE installed do not do much. These will be a little brighter.

This is not the best vid. When I am done in couple of days I will make a better video.

I need to order one more LED for the other side. They will be bright but they will not blind me.

Since the replacement ED-209 is not hollow like the factory unit, I had to rotate the flasher and post it rearward toward the ramp.

IMG_9196 (resized).JPGIMG_9196 (resized).JPG

This required cutting some plastic away to make a notch.

IMG_9173 (resized).jpgIMG_9173 (resized).jpg

#1585 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I cut the legs off completely. They are resin and pinned with a piece of wire. A Dremel with cutoff wheel cut right through.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Then I drilled some big holes in both gun pods to make ready to add some larger LEDs to the pods.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
As you know, those little bitty red lights the DE installed do not do much. These will be a little brighter.
This is not the best vid. When I am done in couple of days I will make a better video.

I need to order one more LED for the other side. They will be bright but they will not blind me.

Since the replacement ED-209 is not hollow like the factory unit, I had to rotate the flasher and post it rearward toward the ramp.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Wow very cool. I didn’t get that involved with lighting. Just added a spot light.

1 week later
#1586 2 years ago

I recently got a Robocop backglass NOS (love it) and its without the red and blue plastics at the top corners. Anyone know where to find these? I have a backglass already (not as nice looking) with those plastics, but the plastics seem to be pretty well glued on. Not sure if I should try transferring them, carefullllyyy. I'd much rather find an alternative for the NOS glass. If replacement parts are hard to find for these, maybe there's even a way to use color gels instead? Would love to hear of any DIY solutions.

IMG_3850 (resized).jpgIMG_3850 (resized).jpg
#1587 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Love this!! So great to see it in action. I think I saw you post a pic of the ornament a while back. I'm hoping to upgrade my ED-209 as well, but with a different ED... I know height is an issue though.

#1588 2 years ago
Quoted from sunshinepizza:

I recently got a Robocop backglass NOS (love it) and its without the red and blue plastics at the top corners. Anyone know where to find these? I have a backglass already (not as nice looking) with those plastics, but the plastics seem to be pretty well glued on. Not sure if I should try transferring them, carefullllyyy. I'd much rather find an alternative for the NOS glass. If replacement parts are hard to find for these, maybe there's even a way to use color gels instead? Would love to hear of any DIY solutions.
[quoted image]

Look carefully at those 2 plastics on your old Robocop back glass. I think they are just attached with some double back tape. A razor knife with a sharp blade should work OK to break them away.

#1589 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

Wow very cool. I didn’t get that involved with lighting. Just added a spot light.

Well, I do have a problem. Something, and ED-209 has been the only change, blew all my GI lights. I"m trying to figure out where the GI fuse is at so I can give it another try.

Love this!! So great to see it in action. I think I saw you post a pic of the ornament a while back. I'm hoping to upgrade my ED-209 as well, but with a different ED... I know height is an issue though.

Somebody else bought one of these ornaments and said he had to trim the legs. But I played around with this one and these is room for it to live under the glass with some light trimming of the legs. It just does not look right (to me ) with the legs. None of these mods are to scale and it seems to high in the air with the legs on. What I suppose I can do is cut the feet and just a bit of the lower leg so the feet would be there, but what is sitting there now is so much better than that vaccuformed ED-209 the factory shipped out.

IMG_9259 (resized).JPGIMG_9259 (resized).JPG

#1590 2 years ago

Stands at the same height as the arrow guide. Looks pretty good to me especially with the spotlite on it.

6DCB8035-2226-4E01-8FCA-ECB0C2573A9E (resized).jpeg6DCB8035-2226-4E01-8FCA-ECB0C2573A9E (resized).jpeg
#1591 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:Look carefully at those 2 plastics on your old Robocop back glass. I think they are just attached with some double back tape. A razor knife with a sharp blade should work OK to break them away.

Thanks for the tip! I'm out of town, but will take a closer look this week. Some of the paint wear on my current one is around those plastics, so I thought it maybe had something to do with the adhesion process and possibly how it was stored previously, with heat and all. Maybe it was manually added by someone who wasn't so careful. Not sure. I'll inspect it much closer now that I have the new backglass to consider. Also, the legless look totally works on the ED-209! And dscapo seems to be making it work at full height too. I don't think you can go too wrong either way.

#1592 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

Stands at the same height as the arrow guide. Looks pretty good to me especially with the spotlite on it.
[quoted image]

Nice!! I think you and cottonm4 are both making it work, with legs and without. Liking the other mods too, with the pop caps and sticker. I was hoping to mess with those too.

#1593 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, I do have a problem. Something, and ED-209 has been the only change, blew all my GI lights. I"m trying to figure out where the GI fuse is at so I can give it another try.

Somebody else bought one of these ornaments and said he had to trim the legs. But I played around with this one and these is room for it to live under the glass with some light trimming of the legs. It just does not look right (to me ) with the legs. None of these mods are to scale and it seems to high in the air with the legs on. What I suppose I can do is cut the feet and just a bit of the lower leg so the feet would be there, but what is sitting there now is so much better than that vaccuformed ED-209 the factory shipped out.
[quoted image]

Just noticing the Taurus mid air... nice touch.

#1594 2 years ago

Just noticing the Taurus mid air... nice touch.

You would not believe what it took to find that Taurus Robocop car. I saw a pic of that cop car and looked for over a year. All I had was a pic of this car. I found a few pics on pinterest but no info.

I finally figured out it was a from a company called MotorMax. MM also made a made a taxi cab from this car.

I looked on Ebay and missed one that had sold. Finally, I looked on Ebay on another day and one was for sale. $50.00 ! I traded messages with the seller after I had bought it. He said he had bough 3 of them when they were still on the shelf. He paid $10.00 each.

I did a little bit of searching and have found one NIB. Grab your wallet. I thought I paid a fortune. I could sell mine and make money.

It is 1/43 scale. And it is for sale.

https://beantowncollectibles.com/products/motormax-robocop-movie-1986-ford-taurus-ocp-detroit-police-car-1-43-scale-new?variant=29589678489686

According to this seller, this car is a limited edition made in 2009. Judging from how hard it is to find it must really be limited to small numbers and not one of these Barbie Doll limited editions where the only limit is how many Mattel can sell.
================================================================

And this morning another Robocop car is selling for cheap. $7.00 and you can buy all you want.

But it only 1/64 scale. That's pretty small but there are probably ways it can be put to use as a play field mod.

https://www.diecastdirect.com/product/20531/Pre-Orders

#1595 2 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I'm out of town, but will take a closer look this week. Some of the paint wear on my current one is around those plastics, so I thought it maybe had something to do with the adhesion process and possibly how it was stored previously, with heat and all. Maybe it was manually added by someone who wasn't so careful. Not sure. I'll inspect it much closer now that I have the new backglass to consider. Also, the legless look totally works on the ED-209! And dscapo seems to be making it work at full height too. I don't think you can go too wrong either way.

There is a small piece of double back tape on each side of the plastic. You can see the tape on both sides. However, there is another pice of dbl back tape on the bottom of the lens. You can barely see it if you squint. The ones on the sides can be had with a razor knife. One of the tapes on my red lens has let go after 40 years so I gave the lens a little pull and the other side came loose. But that piece in the bottom is holding tight. There is a risk of damaging the back glass so I stopped at this point.

It sounds like your original glass is roached and all you have to worry about is getting the plastic in one piece. I don't think you will have any problem.

IMG_9266 (resized).JPGIMG_9266 (resized).JPG
#1596 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You would not believe what it took to find that Taurus Robocop car. I saw a pic of that cop car and looked for over a year. All I had was a pic of this car. I found a few pics on pinterest but no info.
I finally figured out it was a from a company called MotorMax. MM also made a made a taxi cab from this car.
I looked on Ebay and missed one that had sold. Finally, I looked on Ebay on another day and one was for sale. $50.00 ! I traded messages with the seller after I had bought it. He said he had bough 3 of them when they were still on the shelf. He paid $10.00 each.
I did a little bit of searching and have found one NIB. Grab your wallet. I thought I paid a fortune. I could sell mine and make money.
It is 1/43 scale. And it is for sale.
https://beantowncollectibles.com/products/motormax-robocop-movie-1986-ford-taurus-ocp-detroit-police-car-1-43-scale-new?variant=29589678489686
According to this seller, this car is a limited edition made in 2009. Judging from how hard it is to find it must really be limited to small numbers and not one of these Barbie Doll limited editions where the only limit is how many Mattel can sell.
================================================================
And this morning another Robocop car is selling for cheap. $7.00 and you can buy all you want.
But it only 1/64 scale. That's pretty small but there are probably ways it can be put to use as a play field mod.
https://www.diecastdirect.com/product/20531/Pre-Orders

Here is another Robocop cop car as part of a diorama. Again, not cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z34D2G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

#1598 2 years ago

Yes. i saw that a couple of days ago. I have a complete $200.00 set of the plastics I will never use.

There used to be another 5 piece set available several years ago. But the quality left much to be desired.

I cannot tell from the pics if this is a reincarnation of that lacking set, or if these are of the same quality that I got from Pinball Rescue.

#1599 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

[quoted image]

Yours looks fine. It was going to block my Robocop car and no way I could make it look right so the legs had to come off.

IMG_9289 (resized).JPGIMG_9289 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 1,953 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 40.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robocop-club-if-you-own-one-or-use-to/page/32?hl=crumbalimb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.