Topic Stats

• 1,092 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by Lostcause
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 439 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

39D3BFAD-A12F-4802-BCA3-DF6A9BC15C53 (resized).jpeg
1EBFBF54-86F1-469B-9AF3-4686E5AE2162 (resized).jpeg
switch2 (resized).jpg
switch1 (resized).jpg
20201117_173744 (resized).jpg
20201117_173800 (resized).jpg
switch (resized).jpg
9B180686-6D88-4F1F-AFF1-82CCFAEA9247 (resized).jpeg
6A7F9405-4938-409E-B53D-A424724603F5 (resized).jpeg
A6AC969A-0CAC-44D5-8A0F-D1638F36EDC4 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5381 (resized).JPG
IMG_5380 (resized).JPG
15FF8AFB-D17C-41FF-BD52-9999C12117FA (resized).jpeg
4CF56178-CBAC-40A5-BC69-1323BA61DB9A (resized).jpeg
AC630DD3-5B39-406E-91E3-4D09C7EC3C21 (resized).jpeg
9DCDCEE5-F8D3-4678-AD3F-6C75291C444A (resized).jpeg

There are 1092 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 22.
#851 50 days ago
Quoted from kba78:

Seems like a shorted out/stuck switch. Possibly a whole row or column?

I am away from home now. I was wondering if a stuck switch might be possible.

I’ll address this more when I get home in 2 days

#852 50 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I also talked about how when I removed my lockdown bar that my play field glass would just start sliding out on its own. Indeed, I was not paying a close attention to this and almost had my glass slide all the way out and was going to be on its way to crashing to the floor.
There are several ways to fix this problem but those ways might be a hassle to mess with.
What I did was lay down 3 thicknesses of Gorilla duct tape. This had the effect of making the glass "thicker" so it would offer resistance inside the glass channels.
In an effort to allow the tape to be easy to use and not roll backwards over itself, I stair stepped the the 3 layers to make for an easy reinstall of the back glass.
[quoted image]
Then I slid the glass into position and slid a nice sharp razor blade along the edge of the rail which cut away all of the excess tape. I did this tape action for both sides. Now the glass stays put until I take positive action to remove it. And cutting the tape with the razor blade lets the tape hide in plain sight.
[quoted image]

I have this problem also. Thanks for the tip.

#853 49 days ago

I'm looking to put together a LED kit together for my robocop. It looks like Cointaker has a non-ghosting led kit, but it's pretty pricey at $240. I typically use comet lamps, but they don't offer a kit. I'm just curious if anyone has put together a kit they could share the list of lamps and some pictures.

#854 49 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is video I made of Robocop going nuts. I am at a loss with this.
Before it got to this point, I starting getting callouts for the upper right hand saucer such as, " I like it!. And the upper right hand saucer started trying to kick out a ball that was not there.

Quoted from vec-tor:

Could it be the ram deteriorating?

Quoted from kba78:

Seems like a shorted out/stuck switch. Possibly a whole row or column?

I made that video on Wednesday and went to my girlfriend's for Thanksgiving. I get home this morning and fire Robocop up. It working 100%. I don't know what was wrong and I don't know how it fixed itself. I am going to have to study the prints and see if it was possible that a stuck switch took out an entire line on the switch matrix.

#855 48 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I made that video on Wednesday and went to my girlfriend's for Thanksgiving. I get home this morning and fire Robocop up. It working 100%. I don't know what was wrong and I don't know how it fixed itself. I am going to have to study the prints and see if it was possible that a stuck switch took out an entire line on the switch matrix.

I think I may have found the culprit. I think the upper right saucer kicker switch is sticking. If it acts up again I am going to start squirting some electrical contact cleaner into the switches.

There are 7 microswitches under the play field.

4 switches are related to the ball outhole and the multi-ball launch set up.
There are there are 2 saucer kickers pin the left side the play field.
And 1 saucer kicker at the right hand side ROBOCOP "ramp".

I'm feeling more comfortable about this now that I have looked around.

#856 48 days ago

Just about to leave to pick one up just over 4 hours away, bit of a project. All working and plays, boards clean, playfield good, cab solid but shabby looking so paint or decal needed. Not seen under the playfield and hoping it’s not too bad under there, the suspense is killing me!

#857 48 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I think I may have found the culprit. I think the upper right saucer kicker switch is sticking. If it acts up again I am going to start squirting some electrical contact cleaner into the switches.
There are 7 microswitches under the play field.
4 switches are related to the ball outhole and the multi-ball launch set up.
There are there are 2 saucer kickers pin the left side the play field.
And 1 saucer kicker at the right hand side ROBOCOP "ramp".
I'm feeling more comfortable about this now that I have looked around.

Bummer. The switch I thought might be the problem is not the problem.

I just remembered that I installed a battery eliminator in the RAM memory slot. I am going to swap backache old RAM and load some new batteries before I start chasing my tail with switches.

I'll post resolution when I have it.

#858 48 days ago

Just got back, battery on my Connect went flat. Did the deal got in van and click! Luckily the guy gave me a push and it started but thought damn I need some fuel. We went off to gas station put some in and click, another push and off we go.
Anyway looks good under playfield, had a game and working. Was in dry storage for over 20 years, lady did a deal on some pins to the guy I bought it from who flips pins.
Will get it in tomorrow and take some pics, it’s missing the red fresnel but has the blue Guess these are unavailable.

Beer time!!!

#859 47 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Bummer. The switch I thought might be the problem is not the problem.
I just remembered that I installed a battery eliminator in the RAM memory slot. I am going to swap backache old RAM and load some new batteries before I start chasing my tail with switches.
I'll post resolution when I have it.

Murpy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong.

This is the kind of crap that makes you want to go crawl in a hole.

I found my problem. It is embarrassing.

I had my coin box out of the pin the other day. I keep my Robocop spare parts in the coin box. When I replaced the coin box I really was not paying attention. I shoved the coin box back in its place and closed the coin door.

I am looking around for what is causing this interment issue. I just happened to bump into the coin door and the BS started. Back off the door and problem goes away. Push door and have a problem; Back off and prob goes away.

See the solder terminal on the coin door switch?

IMG_5010 (resized).JPG

See the coin box handle?

IMG_5008 (resized).JPG

See the coin box handle sitting in a contact position with the coin door solder terminal?

IMG_5006 (resized).JPG

IMG_5007 (resized).JPG

Each day as I walk thru the jungle under a pinball play field I always seem to stumble into some new and novel way to make a new problem for myself. Eventually, I will have enough screw ups like this to be able to write a book. Something like "How Murphy's law applies to the venture of working on pinball machines.

Carry on, gentlemen. Carry on. There is nothing to see here.

IMG_5006 (resized).JPG
#860 47 days ago

What do they say, “shit happens” glad you found the issue.

#861 47 days ago

Got mine in from the van, let it sit in the room for a few hours as it was cold and damp in the van.
All working it seems, all mechanics a bit weak so needs rebuilding, kickback was good though.
Cab speaker is popping, hopefully a worn out speaker.
Let the journey begin to restore this classic!
Can’t wait to play it properly.

AAC5FE67-C4EB-4FBE-8471-0DA42B46BD0A (resized).jpegFEF0EF53-66A6-40A0-95A1-0F52A1D074D3 (resized).jpeg
#862 47 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Got mine in from the van, let it sit in the room for a few hours as it was cold and damp in the van.
All working it seems, all mechanics a bit weak so needs rebuilding, kickback was good though.
Can’t wait to play it properly.[quoted image][quoted image]

No disrespect but I wish I could find a beater cab like yours to customize. Mine's too nice to mess with. Nice looking play field.

You need this link.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm

Section "3 I" showed me how to fix my score display when it went dark. I don't know if yours can be fixed but this will give you part numbers etc. if you want to try. You can buy a low voltage replacement display if you need to.

#863 47 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Can’t wait to play it properly.[quoted image][quoted image]

Check the z connectors at the upper speaker panel and board connector at sound board, not uncommon to have bad connection there.

Can always pull apart and clean with brass brush and plug back in to see if improves the situation

#864 47 days ago

Thanks guys, sounds like the speaker to me but if not I will check those connections.
The displays work perfect, just a bad pic.
Only thing so far is the left sling shot is not working, wires look ok underneath. Will look into that.
Need to order me a load of mech parts and flipper rebuild kits, want to get it all good then strip it down for a proper clean.
Will also get a set of decals from retrorefurbs and plastic set from pinball center.
Nice that there is no corrosion under the playfield.
Cab is solid but should be good after some sanding/filling/paint/decals. Fingers crossed anyway. Plenty of work ahead.

#865 47 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

The displays work perfect, just a bad pic.

I see. Don't blow off the link I gave you. It is so good and comprehensive that I printed it out in case the link ever goes offline.

#866 47 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I see. Don't blow off the link I gave you. It is so good and comprehensive that I printed it out in case the link ever goes offline.

I won’t, might come in handy for the dodgy slingshot. Thanks.

#867 47 days ago

I don't know if I ever posted this or not.

This a special wrench I had made up for adjusting flippers. My experience has been that the flipper links have to be torqued down hard or the flipper will slip out of adjustment. Applying that much torque made me nervous.

I got a 1/2" wrench at a pawnshop. The shop had a torch in back so I tossed the kid running the shop a $5.00 bill to bend and twist this wrench for adjusting the flippers. So, now when I have to lean on the Allen wrench to torque the flipper link I can use this wrench to help hold the link solid and not put pressure own the flipper shaft and flipper bushing.

If you have a spare 1/2" wrench and no torch, any muffler shop could do this for you.

IMG_5011 (resized).JPG

IMG_5012 (resized).JPG

IMG_5013 (resized).JPG

IMG_5014 (resized).JPG

#868 46 days ago

That’s a good idea, how tight you doing these up because on my WPC pins it is easy to close the gap up and then it doesn’t hold.
These look much stronger so shouldn’t close up.

#869 46 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

This gent did an awesome touchup around the artwork...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robocop-club-if-you-own-one-or-use-to/page/16#post-5874931

#870 46 days ago

Was thinking about doing that as that looks good, maybe I will touch up the artwork first and if happy will repair and paint/clear coat.
Save me some money.

#871 46 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

That’s a good idea, how tight you doing these up because on my WPC pins it is easy to close the gap up and then it doesn’t hold.
These look much stronger so shouldn’t close up.

I got my DE flipper rebuild kit from Pinball Life. Those links were included. To install a flipper shaft, you have to run a flat screwdriver into the slot to open it up enough to get the flipper shaft installed.

how tight? So tight I feel like I am way over-torquing them. Forget "feel"; I know I am way over torquing them. But when I used my calibrated elbow for what I thought felt like good torque, the flippers would soon be out of position. I really lean on the Allen screw heads and my wrench.

#872 46 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Was thinking about doing that as that looks good, maybe I will touch up the artwork first and if happy will repair and paint/clear coat.
Save me some money.

Other than your artwork, what kind of repairs does your cab need? It looks solid in your pics.

#873 46 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Other than your artwork, what kind of repairs does your cab need? It looks solid in your pics.

Not much really just the scrapes and some edges, also a chunk out of the back of cab. Not coming apart anywhere surprisingly.

I can’t seem to find any exploded diagrams of the mech parts, I want to rebuild the mechs as linkages etc are worn. Would be good to have some part numbers as this is my first DE. I have some wpc linkages/sleeves etc so will compare. Spending too much time online looking at parts!

BFF04196-4DFC-49D6-A3B0-0D2F7B2E53EF (resized).jpeg5B02940F-8969-49CB-BA98-5254454FC196 (resized).jpegC899A302-ECC0-4EC7-88C3-9DA34736F22B (resized).jpeg3655BD8F-1F71-4599-88B3-CA4FDD646AF0 (resized).jpeg31573F00-049D-415C-96CD-464B33D5EFBB (resized).jpeg3BE48867-8FC6-43FD-8540-31FFB9A61254 (resized).jpeg7D86D0F2-690E-4A10-A889-C3FC870C649E (resized).jpeg
#874 46 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I can’t seem to find any exploded diagrams of the mech parts, I want to rebuild the mechs as linkages etc are worn. Would be good to have some part numbers as this is my first DE. I have some wpc linkages/sleeves etc so will compare. Spending too much time online looking at parts!

Buy your self a Robocop manual. They are for sale on Ebay ALL of the time. It took hours of study before I could figure out things in this manual. But trust me. You will find use for it.

s-l225 (resized).jpg

There are no exploded views for this pin anywhere that I can find. You will need to take pics as you disassemble anything.

There are also no parts list anywhere I have looked.

Be careful with your flipper linkages. I can't remember what it was but I seem to recall something being different between the DE linkages and Williams flipper linkages. Recommend you get the Pinball Life kit and call it a day. Robocop's flippers hit hard. Your plungers and coil stop are probably trash

Make sure you get the correct kit.

https://www.pinballlife.com/early-data-east-0587-0989-flipper-rebuild-kit.html

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DE1189-0192

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DE0692-0493

Go to PL and search "flipper".

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=flipper

I like the outriggers on the back of your cab. All 4 slider buttons have been broken off but those outriggers sure saved the cabinet. I am adding these outriggers to my pins I am restoring.

5cc9c193e69334d9c06d0edca4392faa69da60ae.jpeg (resized).jpg

#875 46 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I can’t seem to find any exploded diagrams of the mech parts

Agreed on buying a manual, but IPDB has a partial pdf manual for ROBOCOP until you get a real one.
It only goes up to pg 31, table of contents says 33-up are wiring and board diagrams, so it will help with game menu settings.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1976/Data_East_1990_Robocop_Manual.pdf

#876 46 days ago

Thank you guys, appreciate the help. Been playing it today and even with its shortcomings still having fun.
25% extra tax tariff for spares at the moment from USA so going to try and source the spares in Europe so will study PL’s parts.
Like this: https://www.bestofpinball.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1952

This machine was in storage for over 20 years and has held up ok thankfully.

#877 45 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Not much really just the scrapes and some edges, also a chunk out of the back of cab. Not coming apart anywhere surprisingly.
I can’t seem to find any exploded diagrams of the mech parts, I want to rebuild the mechs as linkages etc are worn. Would be good to have some part numbers as this is my first DE. I have some wpc linkages/sleeves etc so will compare. Spending too much time online looking at parts![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What is the circuit board that has been added on down by the flipper board?

#878 45 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

What is the circuit board that has been added on down by the flipper board?

Good point, never really thought about that one so will have a look tomorrow. Will put some pics up.

#879 45 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Good point, never really thought about that one so will have a look tomorrow. Will put some pics up.

I blew up the picture, the name of the company comes up blank but it says on the PCB coin validator.

#880 45 days ago

It has a meter, could it be for that?

#881 45 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

It has a meter, could it be for that?

Odd, really should have no need for one since it has audits but maybe a physical meter was a requirement for where it was deployed?

#882 45 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Odd, really should have no need for one since it has audits but maybe a physical meter was a requirement for where it was deployed?

Quite a few pins have meters in the uk, don’t know why. Will see how that board is wired, probably to the meter.

#883 45 days ago

Yup, it's for the meter. Some vending companies don't trust the audits and use hard meters for book keeping.

#884 45 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Quite a few pins have meters in the uk, don’t know why. Will see how that board is wired, probably to the meter.

I suspect as much. I'm not aware of DE pins having a programmable output driver for a meter. The ones for the DMD era might.

#885 45 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I blew up the picture, the name of the company comes up blank but it says on the PCB coin validator.

A google search suggested Philip Shefras Spares and a DEEP history of early amusement games in the U.K.

https://penny-arcade.info/the-shefras-collection-

#886 45 days ago
Quoted from miracleman:

A google search suggested Philip Shefras Spares and a DEEP history of early amusement games in the U.K.

Interesting, I searched with a different engine and came up blank.

#887 45 days ago
Quoted from miracleman:

Thanks pretty interesting link and I also found when the company dissolved in the nineties it was just down the road from where I lived in West London!

#888 43 days ago

Fixed all the weak bumpers and slings today, just adjusting switches and clean/replace sleeves. All working good.
Ordered all the parts today, flipper rebuilds and coils, targets, posts, rubbers etc. Also a full set of plastics.
Frisket also arrived, I am going to repaint the black part of cab/backbox and touch in art work. Will be filling any edges and scrapes etc. Will probably clear coat so it all blends in. Still been playing it

E90C0963-825C-4AC8-BEFA-7B39483B9E01 (resized).jpeg
#889 43 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Fixed all the weak bumpers and slings today, just adjusting switches and clean/replace sleeves. All working good.
Ordered all the parts today, flipper rebuilds and coils, targets, posts, rubbers etc. Also a full set of plastics.
Frisket also arrived, I am going to repaint the black part of cab/backbox and touch in art work. Will be filling any edges and scrapes etc. Will probably clear coat so it all blends in. Still been playing it
[quoted image]

I used frisket when I repainted my robocops backbox, and I was very happy with how nice it is to work with, and how the backbox turned out. Good luck to you with your repaint!

#890 43 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

[quoted image]

I bought 2 sets of the full plastic sets that Zitt is bringing over.; One set for me and one set for a friend. That is a pricy set of plastics with the dollar being weaker than the Euro.

I looked at the web site and they are sold out again.

#891 43 days ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I used frisket when I repainted my robocops backbox, and I was very happy with how nice it is to work with, and how the backbox turned out. Good luck to you with your repaint!

What kind of black paint did you use on your repaint job?

#892 43 days ago

Yes saw your posts and pics which gave me the idea, thanks. Looks great.
I will also ask which black did you use, I was thinking a satin black.

#893 43 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I bought 2 sets of the full plastic sets that Zitt is bringing over.; One set for me and one set for a friend. That is a pricy set of plastics with the dollar being weaker than the Euro.
I looked at the web site and they are sold out again.

I must have bought the last set today, phew!

#894 43 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I assume you got your price estimate for the set. Plastic priced like gold.

#895 43 days ago

29C3F070-1ADA-4E6D-99F9-CF7F8BB1AEDE (resized).jpeg

It’s beauti-tone designer series. It comes black from the factory. It’s a nicer black than if they tint it black in the store. It seems thicker than most paints I have used, but goes on very nicely. I then used a clear on top of it to help get it and the graphics I used frisket to protect to be an equal level of shiny and protected.

#896 43 days ago

[quoted image]
It’s beauti-tone designer series. It comes black from the factory. It’s a nicer black than if they tint it black in the store. It seems thicker than most paints I have used, but goes on very nicely. I then used a clear on top of it to help get it and the graphics I used frisket to protect to be an equal level of shiny and protected.

What did you paint with? A brush. Or compressed air?

I have not seen this brand before. Where do you buy it?

Thanks.

#897 43 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What did you paint with? A brush. Or compressed air?
I have not seen this brand before. Where do you buy it?
Thanks.

I used a small foam roller for most of it, and a small brush to get the cracks and corners on the inside that the roller could get to.
I bought it from Home Hardware I believe. Maybe they’re Canada only? Not sure

#898 43 days ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I don't know how far back you have been reading the Robocop thread, but DO NOT use your new plastics until you make and install one of my air ball deflectors.

If you have never played Robocop, you will find the the air balls are fun---for about 5 minutes.

All of your airballs come from the 3 yellow SU targets.

This deflector nips them in the bud. This one is made from .030 polycarbonate ( Lexan ).

fb0be89ce715f6bac4a589a8074ee7eb0aff1bc0 (resized).jpg

#899 43 days ago

I used a small foam roller for most of it, and a small brush to get the cracks and corners on the inside that the roller could get to.
I bought it from Home Hardware I believe. Maybe they’re Canada only? Not sure

Canada only? Probably so. I have seen some other rattle can paint you guys post and it is never the same brand as here.

#900 43 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Canada only? Probably so. I have seen some other rattle can paint you guys post and it is never the same brand as here.

I’m sure other brands will have a similar option though. The color is just straight black. If you can find one that comes black from the factory, should be pretty similar

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 1,200.00
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 34.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Meteor Spinner Decal Out of stock
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
PinBoss Mods
There are 1092 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 22.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside