IMG_7293 (resized).jpeg
20230813_172213 (resized).jpg
MPU004.pdf (PDF preview)
Pinside_forum_7704045_0 (resized).jpg
20230807_161942 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 7.45.08 AM (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 6.49.04 AM (resized).jpg
16913159548263188604343872213635 (resized).jpg
There are 1,953 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 40.
#451 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Update:
"Grouped when pallet scanned to crossing (OSM 1)"

Yup, mine too

#452 4 years ago

After 2 years I finally discovered an answer to one question. But more questions remain.

The first question:

What action make these Extra Ball inserts in the inlanes/outlanes light up? I'll be playing along and the next thing I know is that they are lit and I cannot figure out what action lights them up. Anybody ??

IMG_3366 (resized).JPGIMG_3366 (resized).JPG
---------------------------------------------------------------

The other question I have been wanting to know about was answered yesterday.

I had the extra ball lit up in the Robocop lane and scored the extra ball.

IMG_3367 (resized).JPGIMG_3367 (resized).JPG

And I also had the "extra ball" lit up in the inlanes/ outlanes and scored that as well.

My question was : Does Robocop award multiple extra balls?

The answer is yes.

#453 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

After 2 years I finally discovered an answer to one question. But more questions remain.
The first question:
What action make these Extra Ball inserts in the inlanes/outlanes light up? I'll be playing along and the next thing I know is that they are lit and I cannot figure out what action lights them up. Anybody ??
[quoted image]
---------------------------------------------------------------
The other question I have been wanting to know about was answered yesterday.
I had the extra ball lit up in the Robocop lane and scored the extra ball.
[quoted image]
And I also had the "extra ball" lit up in the inlanes/ outlanes and scored that as well.
My question was : Does Robocop award multiple extra balls?
The answer is yes.

The out-lanes light extra ball if you get a 5x multiplier then get an extra multiplier from the 209 lights at the top of the playfield. So essentially they light up on the '6x' multiplier. When this occurs the pop bumpers rotate the lane lights and you can also alternate them manually using the flippers.

The random selector right lane awards extra ball attempt light (I think that this can be modified manually on the expanded audit (AU 12 then AD 17 expand adjustments) to a percentage of the amount of times the ball locks in the random sequencer and you can definitely set the maximum amount of extra balls (E AD 23) awarded in the expanded adjustments too).

The right lane hit 7 times (lighting the word ROBOCOP one letter at a time) in one game will light the extra ball light.

#454 4 years ago

Finally got my 'more substantial' ED209 on the pin. Lit using the original leds which were simply glued onto the underside of the existing ED209 with 'flexi' glue (probably old epoxy) which just peeled off.
I extended the wires and hid them behind the leg structure.
The model stands on two hi-tack self-adhesive (Velcro brand) hook and loop circular pads, one under each foot which holds it rock steady and allows it to be easily lifted off when required.
The positioning also exposes the 'Toxic Waste' sign more-so than with the original, behind the ED209 and on the side of the left ramp, and allows it to be lit by the full beam of the flasher (under ED209).
The red band on the left arm of the ED209 is not by design but was an elastic band holding the led in place until the glue set. I liked it and left it on.

ED209 on machine (resized).jpgED209 on machine (resized).jpg
#455 4 years ago

You will also light Extra Ball if you have a low score going into ball 3. I'm not exactly sure of the threshold but I think it's around 500k.

#456 4 years ago
Quoted from loneranger:

You will also light Extra Ball if you have a low score going into ball 3. I'm not exactly sure of the threshold but I think it's around 500k.

Forgot about that one. On mine it is below 400k.

#457 4 years ago
Quoted from loneranger:

Quoted from Thehipster:

Forgot about that one. On mine it is below 400k.

I never knew this. But it makes sense. This pin would clean out your pocket in an arcade. So, a last ditch chance to get an extra ball would be welcome.

It is such a simple game. Lock 3 balls for multi-ball. But for speed freaks like me, Robocop is up there with the best of them.

#458 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I never knew this. But it makes sense. This pin would clean out your pocket in an arcade. So, a last ditch chance to get an extra ball would be welcome.
It is such a simple game. Lock 3 balls for multi-ball. But for speed freaks like me, Robocop is up there with the best of them.

Love getting multiball, such a rush when they start popping out and you are trying to cram one up the damn ramp for jackpot.

#459 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Love getting multiball, such a rush when they start popping out and you are trying to cram one up the damn ramp for jackpot.

What I have discovered during game play: When you get multi-ball, and then also hammer the jackpot, you can only score one jackpot. After the ball scores, any subsequent balls are just kicked back out to the play field. During M-B you can not shoot the ball back to the top and make any more arrests.

This relates to shooting ball 1 and it will usually feed into the 9 of the 2-0-9. Hitting that 9 is what lights up Dick Jones and makes the ramp active. So, a newbie can drop a coin, hit the the 9, and have a shot set up for the ramp. If by some chance, the ball feeds the 2 or the 0, then neither Emil nor Bodicker will light up on one pass thru. And if that is followed with a ramp shot, the ramp shot will be a dry shot--which would not be good juju for a newbie.

#460 4 years ago

USPS has possession of package, progress!

#461 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What I have discovered during game play: When you get multi-ball, and then also hammer the jackpot, you can only score one jackpot. After the ball scores, any subsequent balls are just kicked back out to the play field. During M-B you can not shoot the ball back to the top and make any more arrests.
This relates to shooting ball 1 and it will usually feed into the 9 of the 2-0-9. Hitting that 9 is what lights up Dick Jones and makes the ramp active. So, a newbie can drop a coin, hit the the 9, and have a shot set up for the ramp. If by some chance, the ball feeds the 2 or the 0, then neither Emil nor Bodicker will light up on one pass thru. And if that is followed with a ramp shot, the ramp shot will be a dry shot--which would not be good juju for a newbie.

I have just discovered that during multi-ball you can get the Jackpot score up to 1 million very quickly if you hit the yellow and green targets during the event.

#462 4 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy these inserts, any colour but preferably the original (picture borrowed from Bay78). They have rounded edges (the decals make it look as though they have hex-style ends) and are about 3 and 1/4 inches x 1 inch. I can't find them on my searches.
Also I have noticed the 'Arrest' inserts at the foot of the right ramp need to be removed from the top of the playfield as they seem to sit in a rebated or counter sunk hole. Does anyone have any experience of removing these who could give me some tips as mine are pretty badly melted and alter the run of the ball.

insert (resized).jpginsert (resized).jpg
#463 4 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

Does anyone know where I can buy these inserts, any colour but preferably the original (picture borrowed from Bay78). They have rounded edges (the decals make it look as though they have hex-style ends) and are about 3 and 1/4 inches x 1 inch. I can't find them on my searches.
Also I have noticed the 'Arrest' inserts at the foot of the right ramp need to be removed from the top of the playfield as they seem to sit in a rebated or counter sunk hole. Does anyone have any experience of removing these who could give me some tips as mine are pretty badly melted and alter the run of the ball.[quoted image]

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=insert&VIEW_SIZE=60&VIEW_INDEX=0&view=card&sortOrder=SortKeywordRelevancy

Maybe these will work?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PI-251634-ORT

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PI-251634-OBT

#464 4 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

Also I have noticed the 'Arrest' inserts at the foot of the right ramp need to be removed from the top of the playfield as they seem to sit in a rebated or counter sunk hole. Does anyone have any experience of removing these who could give me some tips as mine are pretty badly melted and alter the run of the ball.[quoted image]

All I can tell you is that all inserts are installed from the top. The only way I know to remove these inserts is that you have to remove the mylar covering the play field. As you can se e form the picture you linked is that the mylar might not come off cleanly.

#465 4 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

This guy has peeled the mylar from his Robocop. He is from Canada. A pinsider translated the French for me. Would have to search for that.

#466 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

All I can tell you is that all inserts are installed from the top. The only way I know to remove these inserts is that you have to remove the mylar covering the play field. As you can se e form the picture you linked is that the mylar might not come off cleanly.

I used a craft knife to remove the damaged decal area and epoxy glued the holes caused by the heat but it left the plastic mottled in appearance. The mylar came off very easily.
I think the insert thing may be to complicated for me if I have to cut away all of the decal. As you know getting decals for Robocop is just about, if not impossible.
I will post a pic of what I did with some self adhesive plastic sheet tomorrow, problem being that it is glossy and I need matte finish. I am waiting for some dark blue transparent acrylic self adhesive sign sheet in dark blue. Then I was planning on putting a self made matte decal on top of that.

#467 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This guy has peeled the mylar from his Robocop. He is from Canada. A pinsider translated the French for me. Would have to search for that.

The guy made that look easy. What was he spraying on to the surface?

#468 4 years ago

Getting busy with the lexan this morning

20200419_094209 (resized).jpg20200419_094209 (resized).jpg
#469 4 years ago

Maybe excessive, but why not.

20200419_114341 (resized).jpg20200419_114341 (resized).jpg
#470 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Maybe excessive, but why not.[quoted image]

Don't forget to protect this one.

IMG_3388 (resized).JPGIMG_3388 (resized).JPG

But I see you are making the extended cover for the yellow stand up targets. Really, this should be all you need. Before I made this extension, my Robocop with just an airball pin. That is how that one piece was broken. Since I put this extension on, I have had NO airballs. Not one.

IMG_3389 (resized).JPGIMG_3389 (resized).JPG

#471 4 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

I used a craft knife to remove the damaged decal area and epoxy glued the holes caused by the heat but it left the plastic mottled in appearance. The mylar came off very easily.
I think the insert thing may be to complicated for me if I have to cut away all of the decal. As you know getting decals for Robocop is just about, if not impossible.
I will post a pic of what I did with some self adhesive plastic sheet tomorrow, problem being that it is glossy and I need matte finish. I am waiting for some dark blue transparent acrylic self adhesive sign sheet in dark blue. Then I was planning on putting a self made matte decal on top of that.

Several months ago I stripped the lower part of my play field and scanned it for Bay 78 so he could make some decals. It turned into quite a job. Everything dealing with flippers and slings had to come off. And now I cannot find those scans.

Quoted from Thehipster:

The guy made that look easy. What was he spraying on to the surface?

I would imagine it is some of those cans of air for blowing out computer keyboards. That stuff gets cold when you turn the can upside down.

#472 4 years ago

All I have let to do is the sign which I'm going to save for another day.

20200419_125535 (resized).jpg20200419_125535 (resized).jpg
#473 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Don't forget to protect this one.
[quoted image]
But I see you are making the extended cover for the yellow stand up targets. Really, this should be all you need. Before I made this extension, my Robocop with just an airball pin. That is how that one piece was broken. Since I put this extension on, I have had NO airballs. Not one.
[quoted image]

As you wish, there you go!

I serviced the targets, find most target air balls caused by bent stops and missing foam which on this game was the two left targets. Still worth doing the deflector for that one rogue ball though.

20200419_131316 (resized).jpg20200419_131316 (resized).jpg
#474 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

All I have let to do is the sign which I'm going to save for another day.[quoted image]

I can't tell how far out from the plastic that your shield is setting, but it needs to be 1.5 inches beyond the plastic to really work well.

e34deab1af2578e6fea0e69555847278a1e1070a (resized).jpge34deab1af2578e6fea0e69555847278a1e1070a (resized).jpg

Also, the replacement plastics you bought look to have a deeper blue than mine. Mine get all wash out looking with the lights turned on.

I need to buy a set like yours. Where did you get them, please?

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 1.11.18 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-19 at 1.11.18 PM (resized).png

#475 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Also, the replacement plastics you bought look to have a deeper blue than mine. Mine get all wash out looking with the lights turned on.
I need to buy a set like yours. Where did you get them, please?
[quoted image]

Mine are washed out a bit too, definitely lighter color blue compared to originals. Retro referbs.

I'll take a comparison pic later. 5 out of the 6 were broken or missing so happy to have what I have.

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Maybe excessive, but why not.[quoted image]

That looks great. I used the plastic that cottonm4 recommended me to use for the air-ball stopper on the yellow targets. Your lexan looks more robust. What thickness is it and how did you cut it?

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

That looks great. I used the plastic that cottonm4 recommended me to use for the air-ball stopper on the yellow targets. Your lexan looks more robust. What thickness is it and how did you cut it?

1/8" thick and I cut it out with a hand held air saw and then shaped the pieces with a belt and disc sander.

#478 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

a belt and disc sander.

About one of the most handy tools in my small work shop.

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

About one of the most handy tools in my small work shop.

Picked up a nice burly one from Lowes a few years ago, worth its weight in gold.

#480 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Mine are washed out a bit too, definitely lighter color blue compared to originals. Retro referbs.
I'll take a comparison pic later. 5 out of the 6 were broken or missing so happy to have what I have.

How accurate is the pic you posted? You say yours are washed on color but in this pic the blue looks nice and rich. If yours are no better than what I have I'll save my money but looking at your pic makes me want to hit the buy button.

a7a92c9532234cf38d5c8ff40a0993ef3f9b121b.png (resized).jpga7a92c9532234cf38d5c8ff40a0993ef3f9b121b.png (resized).jpg

#481 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How accurate is the pic you posted? You say yours are washed on color but in this pic the blue looks nice and rich. If yours are no better than what I have I'll save my money but looking at your pic makes me want to hit the buy button.
[quoted image]

Promise I'll take a comparison pic tonight, just flat out the last three days. Yes I took time out to work on Robocop but something I can strike off my list and one less package on the table.

#482 4 years ago

I don't know if this is relative to this forum but I have a humming sound in the background when playing Robocop (I don't have the volume very high). When I first got the pin the sound was much louder but I found that the large 'capacitor' on the power board was hanging off. An engineer secured it and soldered it back on (before I had a clue how to even switch on a soldering iron) and the sound went away almost entirely.
The humming/buzzing seems to be coming from the speakers which are grounded really well so I don't think that it is a grounding issue.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Has anyone any idea if it is as simple a fix as replacing the large 'capacitor' (I think that is what it is) or any advice on how I test this part. It is the large, silver cylindrical part on the power board.

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]

Original and replacement

20200420_155658 (resized).jpg20200420_155658 (resized).jpg
#484 4 years ago

1) Replaced the left post with a DE/Stern 10/32" post. There was a odd squishy post there when I got the pin and it was beating the playfield up. I replaced it with a red post a few days ago which was a hair too large and when the laser kick would fire 50% of the time would deflect the ball down the outlane. So it gets the DE post which works great.

2) Installed the sign with piano wire, they are slightly different sizes due to the incline.

20200420_181147 (resized).jpg20200420_181147 (resized).jpg20200420_181215 (resized).jpg20200420_181215 (resized).jpg

#485 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Original and replacement[quoted image]

I like the shade of blue your retros are. But it is different than the originals. How does that blue look when you are standing at the pin when it is all lit up?

Thanks.

#486 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I like the shade of blue your retros are. But it is different than the originals. How does that blue look when you are standing at the pin when it is all lit up?
Thanks.

One shot in dark room, other with 4 foot florescent lamp on 3 foot to right of pin. Angled shot so you could see originals in frame.

20200420_202418 (resized).jpg20200420_202418 (resized).jpg20200420_202430 (resized).jpg20200420_202430 (resized).jpg
#487 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

One shot in dark room, other with 4 foot florescent lamp on 3 foot to right of pin. Angled shot so you could see originals in frame.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks much. They look about the same as what I have. I'll spend my money on other pin stuff.

#488 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks much. They look about the same as what I have. I'll spend my money on other pin stuff.

I might try some blue LEDs in those locations in the future to see how it looks, I'll post pics if I do so.

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I might try some blue LEDs in those locations in the future to see how it looks, I'll post pics if I do so.

Makes me think I should get some blue acryllic sheet and make plastic protectors from blue plastic. I live 5 miles from a plastics supply. On my shopping list.

Give me a few days.

#490 4 years ago

I am re-posting this post to see if a picture will help me get some help.
I don't know if this is relative to this forum but I have a humming sound in the background when playing Robocop (I don't have the volume very high). When I first got the pin the sound was much louder but I found that the large 'capacitor' on the power board was hanging off. An engineer secured it and soldered it back on (before I had a clue how to even switch on a soldering iron) and the sound went away almost entirely.
The humming/buzzing seems to be coming from the speakers which are grounded really well so I don't think that it is a grounding issue.
Has anyone any idea if it is as simple a fix as replacing the large 'capacitor' (I think that is what it is) or any advice on how I test this part. It is the large, silver cylindrical part on the power board.

powerboard (resized).jpgpowerboard (resized).jpg
#491 4 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

I am re-posting this post to see if a picture will help me get some help.
Has anyone any idea if it is as simple a fix as replacing the large 'capacitor' (I think that is what it is) or any advice on how I test this part. It is the large, silver cylindrical part on the power board.[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-noise-ideas-for-a-cure

#492 4 years ago

Thanks gdonovan. I read the first two pages then page 11 and that was very informative. Basically I can live with the slight buzz.

#493 4 years ago

With sunlight white or blue leds

20200421_171736 (resized).jpg20200421_171736 (resized).jpg20200421_171758 (resized).jpg20200421_171758 (resized).jpg
#494 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

With sunlight white or blue leds[quoted image][quoted image]

I like the sunlight white. And in that pic, the plastics do not look so bleached out.

#495 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I like the sunlight white. And in that pic, the plastics do not look so bleached out.

The overhead florescent is on so factor that in.

#496 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

With sunlight white or blue leds[quoted image][quoted image]

I have the white in the in and out-lanes and blue in the slingshots which I like. I think too much of the blue gives a ultra violet effect which can be overwhelming. Might just be me.

#497 4 years ago
Quoted from Thehipster:

I have the white in the in and out-lanes and blue in the slingshots which I like. I think too much of the blue gives a ultra violet effect which can be overwhelming. Might just be me.

I ended up where I started with the sunlight white in both locations, I feel that the blue led did not improve the plastic appearance so wasn't to my tastes. I do like the single blue one behind the re-light laser kick target and in the pops though.

Anyone here use Titan elastics on Robocop and if so what colors? I'm thinking I'd like to replace mine and step it up.

#498 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I ended up where I started with the sunlight white in both locations, I feel that the blue led did not improve the plastic appearance so wasn't to my tastes. I do like the single blue one behind the re-light laser kick target and in the pops though.

Because I only have one pin and RC is it I have messed about a lot with lighting. I tried blue at the ED209 multiplier lights with blue posts and that was quite good but when I reverted back to cool white with the blue posts I thought it looked fantastic. I have yellow leds under the yellow targets and green leds under the green targets.
I put a red led strip in the out-hole to warm up the bottom of the table a little and an amber strip on the shooter lane.
I have illuminated my new ED209 with a cool white spotlight because it was very dark because it is somewhat larger than the original and I put a white led strip in the '3rd locked ball' pop lane (it was really dark over there).
I'm leaving it at that for now.
Oh, I also put bright white flexy leds behind the speaker sign because I saw someone on you tube do it during a restoration and thought it looked cool. It sometimes reflects in the glass but I don't find it a problem.
I like playing it best at dusk. That is when it looks at its best in my humble opinion.

#499 4 years ago

Does anyone know which typeface is used on the '3. UPHOLD THE LAW' decal? I am trying to reproduce it using transparent self-adhesive sheet.

Added over 4 years ago:

Update! I have found a site that identifies fonts (or tries) and if it can't find it you get options of fonts that are similar. Quite clever really.

#500 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Anyone here use Titan elastics on Robocop and if so what colors? I'm thinking I'd like to replace mine and step it up.

I have a lot of the standard white rubbers that I am working through and use white Titans for replacements. I replaced the sling shot standard rubber with a white Titan. The Titan immediately caused problems for me. It seems the white Titan is a little smaller diameter and it really messed with my ability to make post passes from the right flipper over to the left flipper.

I had a couple of those frosty looking Titans. They appear to have a larger diameter. I replaced the white with the frosted rubber and salvaged most of my post passing ability.

What I have noticed with the frosted looking rubber is that it does not seem to soil as much. Or rather, let's say the only frosted I have installed seems to hide the dirt better. My standard white rubbers and the white Titans show a lot of soiling and get very black and dirty looking. My next rubbers purchase will be the frosties; Once I make that swap I may find that a play field full of them may get black and dirty like the whites.

While I like the look of color coordinated rubbers, it makes it difficult to keep enough rubbers in stock for a particular pin. Whereas, if you stock one color like white, black, or the frosties, you will have stock for your entire line up. The only thing you have to hope for is that you have some in the correct size.

Your mileage may differ.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,953 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 40.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robocop-club-if-you-own-one-or-use-to/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.