Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Chosen_S
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I just picked up my first WORKING Gotttleib system 80! it has a glitch though that I need some help with please.

the "ROBOWAR" inserts and the bonus X inserts flash almost constantly in the game. Ive watched several videos and even played another robowar to verify that there is an issue...

at the start of a game, the inserts in question flash, and are supposed to stop flashing once one of the letter rollover switches at the top of the play field is activated, then the letter that is rolled over is supposed to be lit on the "ROBOWAR" inserts in the middle of the play field.

but... what happens is the "ROBOWAR, and Bonus multiplier INSERTS" just stay flashing.

when I lock a ball for multi ball a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶ ̶b̶a̶l̶l̶, the flashing stops and correct logic on the insert lights commences. When multi ball is in effect and when a ball drains, and multi ball is over, the flashing starts up again, and the logic is incorrect.

I pulled the aux lamp driver board out (the one that is below the play field (MA-866)) and out of curiosity I turned the game on and played a ball and locked a ball and played multi ball, and everything acted the exact same as before, which to me is strange, I thought that the aux lamp board was supposed to drive the insert lamps on the center of the PF.

the connectors are on there super tight, but I will repin them anyways with trifurcon pins

does anyone know where else I should start?

#2 7 years ago

update: the small lampboard below the playfield controls the small ship inserts, and has nothing to do with the inserts in question.

#3 7 years ago

Your going to have to chase the wires to wherever they go, most likely to the driver board on the head then folow the trace on the board till you get to a transistor then tou can test to see whats bad. Im not as familiar with robo war as i dont have one but Do the grounds in the bottom of the cabinet if they have the ground boards, and tighten the transistors that are screwed to the driver board and check that they are grounded, (had all of them loose on a monte carlo and one wasnt grounding at all).

#4 7 years ago

Have you checked the switch in the shooter lane? If that switch is closed the lights will blink until the ball leaves the switch. Does the correct music play while you are playing? Mine is folded right now, so I can't see if it does the same as yours with the switch closed.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Your going to have to chase the wires to wherever they go, most likely to the driver board on the head then folow the trace on the board till you get to a transistor then tou can test to see whats bad. Im not as familiar with robo war as i dont have one but Do the grounds in the bottom of the cabinet if they have the ground boards, and tighten the transistors that are screwed to the driver board and check that they are grounded, (had all of them loose on a monte carlo and one wasnt grounding at all).

The grounds are done... I'll check the transistors... thank you!

Quoted from KC_Masterpiece:

Have you checked the switch in the shooter lane? If that switch is closed the lights will blink until the ball leaves the switch. Does the correct music play while you are playing? Mine is folded right now, so I can't see if it does the same as yours with the switch closed.

I'll check the shooter lane switch, it makes no discernible noise when the ball leaves the shooter lane, so there may be something there, thank you!

#6 7 years ago

I checked the shooter lane switch, it was closed all the time, I fixed it so the switch is not shorted when there is no ball sitting on it.

The transistors on the driver board were tight

I replaced the battery with a memory capacitor

All the ground mods are done except the displays

The correct music plays afaik.

Problem persists

#7 7 years ago

That stuck switch is the event that triggers the flashing.. I looked at the schematics briefly, there is an Aux lamp driver board under the pf by the pop bumper boards. However, I wonder what the game thinks in switch test with that shooter lane rollover?

I attached a video of the proper start-up behavior...

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

That stuck switch is the event that triggers the flashing.. I looked at the schematics briefly, there is an Aux lamp driver board under the pf by the pop bumper boards. However, I wonder what the game thinks in switch test with that shooter lane rollover?
I attached a video of the proper start-up behavior...
» YouTube video

Thank you for the video, that helps immensely!

I'll check switch test again and looking into the driver board...

#9 7 years ago

FINALLY! This only took a week , hehe,

I really appreciate you guys help.

The switch (36) in the shooter lane was put together incorrectly which resulted in a short, so I adjusted everything as it is supposed to be and now all is well with the freaking out inserts.

I cleaned the game and waxed the pf, fixed some incorrect rubber,shooter spring, and a few other issues and about to do a few lighting mods to make the crowds cheer. She is one beautiful, amazing sounding and fun game!

#10 7 years ago

awesome and glad to hear it!

#11 7 years ago

It is often the very simple things that are the problem! Glad you got it working!

#12 7 years ago

Thank you guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robo-war-lighting-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.