pasted_image (resized).png
Resized_20230505_223621 (resized).jpeg
16813266338781118304005082785187 (resized).jpg
21774734-D892-49D9-9755-E78CFBC44517 (resized).jpeg
AE6C34B1-5E31-4B64-98AA-4243AD74969C (resized).jpeg
8213E397-8123-4DD9-BA86-2194F1E9ED5C (resized).jpeg
9520D21C-6717-4824-B83E-A41E25AAEEBE (resized).jpeg
D89D7674-5FDA-4B1A-82EA-6C9DEACD33E4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seshpilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

This game is flipping awesome. It needs a fan club. Feel free to post pics, videos, stories, and tips here!

GAME SPECIFIC INFO:
Model Number: 714
MPU: Gottlieb System 80B
Production: 2,130 units (confirmed)
Notable Features: Flippers (2), Pop bumpers (3), Multiball (2), Spinning target (1), Ramp (1), 4-bank drop targets (1), 3-bank drop targets (1), 2-bank drop targets (1), Single drop target (1), Kick-out hole (1). Hand-drawn translite.
Design by: John Trudeau, Jon Norris
Art by: Constantino Mitchell, Jeanine Mitchell
Software by: John Buras
Note of trivia: Designer John Trudeau said 'Robo-War' was an updated Gottlieb's 1978 'Sinbad'.

RESOURCES:
Todd Tuckey video of Robo-War:

Todd explaining the rules of Robo-War:

Robo-War soundtrack:

Revised MPU Board by Fred Swemmer: https://ksarcade.net/system-80b-mpu.html
Arguably, the best place to get Gottlieb parts (call if you can't find what you're looking for): http://pbresource.com/
Alt translite is available, but why???!

ORIGINAL WHITEWOOD:
Unfortunately, there only exists 1 photograph of the original whitewood. Upon closer inspection, one will see that the original design had 4 flippers! Sadly, this didn't make it into production, and outlanes were added in their place.
robo proto (resized).jpgrobo proto (resized).jpg

RULES:
SPECIAL: ADD A LETTER TO R-O-B-O-W-A-R BY COMPLETING EITHER THE
TOP ROLLOVERS (R-O-B-O), OR BY HITTING THE STROBING DROP TARGETS (B-E-T-A). COMPLETING (R-O-B-O-W-A-R) LIGHTS A
SPECIAL.

EXTRA BALL: COMPLETING THE ALPHA DROP TARGET SEQUENCE LIGHTS AN EXTRA BALL.

MULTIPLIER: ADVANCE MULTIPLIER ON VARIOUS PLAYFIELD TARGETS WHEN LIT. SCORE 10,000 TIMES MULTIPLIER FOR EACH
LETTER AWARDED IN (R-O-B-O-W-A-R) AT THE END OF A BALL IN PLAY.

MULTI-BONUS: SCORE 5000 TIMES MULTIPLIER FOR EACH DROP TARGET HIT DURING MULTI-BALL PLAY. SCORE MULTI-BONUS
VALUE IN HOLE DURING MULTI-BALL PLAY AND AFTER LAST BALL IN PLAY.

#2 7 years ago

<reserved>

#3 7 years ago

Some pics of a NOS Robo-War playfield:

robo 021 (resized).jpegrobo 021 (resized).jpeg

robo 022 (resized).jpegrobo 022 (resized).jpeg

robo 023 (resized).jpegrobo 023 (resized).jpeg

robo 024 (resized).jpegrobo 024 (resized).jpeg

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from JMP:

Gonna do a speaker upgrade too

I think this game deserves a speaker upgrade too! The bass could be killer. Anyone know what speakers would fit and be a good upgrade?

#12 7 years ago

Here's some pics of my RW:

IMG_0785 (resized).JPGIMG_0785 (resized).JPG

IMG_0787 (resized).JPGIMG_0787 (resized).JPG

IMG_0788 (resized).JPGIMG_0788 (resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I got a cheap one but its beat up, playfield wear and it needs a flipper rebuild, can't make the left ramp, finished up some lighting mods, great pin

LOVE those blues behind the drops. Going to add those for sure. Can you post a pic of what you are using?

Also, I find it VERY difficult to make the left ramp as well. I have to have a lot of velocity going into the shot to make it. Is this normal? I didn't think my flippers needed rebuilt (I changed the sleeves but noting else), but am starting to wonder.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Removing these connectors and soldering the wires directly to the switch leaves can be a big improvement too.

Sweet. I'll do this and report back. Really want to make that ramp shot a bit easier!

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

did anyone notice the whitewood had 4 flippers installed (revealing the Sindbad roots)?

Holy crap, you're right! I added a picture (the original is so washed out, I tried to darken it up a bit to reveal the flippers more clearly) to the top of this thread, but I'll add it here as well. Honestly, I'm not convinced that they were really needed, especially the left one. I can make all the shots with just 2 flippers fine.
robo proto (resized).jpgrobo proto (resized).jpg

1 week later
#24 7 years ago

So I adjusted my flippers to point down a bit. Definitely helped make the shot a bit, but I'd still love to see what replacing the flipper button switches do as well. It's still tough to make!

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Anyone know of a Robo-war (in any condition working or not) for sale

Good luck brother! They're pretty hard to come by as most went overseas. Hope you find one though.

#33 7 years ago

The board from Swemmer (found at K's Arcade online) is quite incredible. You won't be disappointed if you go that route.

2 weeks later
#41 7 years ago
Quoted from dearliza98:

I just listed my non-working Robo War

To whomever buys this, check all voltages first. Then check to make sure that the ground mods are all done. THEN (and only then), will you be able to accurately assess what's wrong in the backbox. As an owner of several System 80s, trust me on this. If the MPU isn't booting, wiggle the daughtercard to check for loose solder joints.

My 2 cents...

3 weeks later
#48 7 years ago
Quoted from cp1610:

something the gtb folks knew all along.

Yep!!

3 months later
#80 6 years ago

Picked up a TX Sector recently. Gotta tell you guys: dollar for dollar, RW may be the better game! Shhhhhh.....

9 months later
#148 6 years ago

I think my Robowar is going to outlast my TX Sector. Been thinking of listing it as it gets no play compared to the War of Robos!!! Such a great game.

1 year later
#317 4 years ago

Out of all the games I own, this is the only I think makes sense to get a Pinstadium product. It has such great mojo but is just so dark. Thinking about biting the bullet on it for this game.

1 year later
#403 3 years ago

Well I'm stumped. The solenoid for the ball hole kicker (multiball) isn't working. The fuse is fine and the coil seems fine. Because of Gottlieb's crazy 100s of boards approach to building games at the time, I can't seem to find which transistor to check. Can anybody help?

PS: Yes, all ground mods done and everything else. Just can't find the transistor for this one.

#404 3 years ago

Found it. I plugged in one of the plugs on the Diode Board upside down, where there was only 2 of the 5 diodes plugged in. Ugh....Gottlieb and all their freaking extra boards.

1 year later
#513 1 year ago

I screwed something up. Was under the playfield fixing something (yes with the power on; I know, I know) and now whenever I go to start a game, it a) locks on the ramp up solenoid and b) cycles back and forth between the trough solenoid and the multi-ball eject solenoid. The ball release solenoid in the trough never engages.

Where should I start? There are no blown fuses

Added 19 months ago:

FIXED. Was Z13 that blew.

#514 1 year ago

Thinking about selling this (or Abra Ca Dabra) to buy a MET. Thoughts? I love this game and I have an incredible sample, but just not getting much play these days.

4 months later
#540 1 year ago

I started this club and with some sadness, I'm jumping out: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/150073
Somebody's gotta pay for the Metallica that I just bought though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seshpilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robo-war-fan-club-all-welcome?tu=seshpilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.