pasted_image (resized).png
Resized_20230505_223621 (resized).jpeg
16813266338781118304005082785187 (resized).jpg
21774734-D892-49D9-9755-E78CFBC44517 (resized).jpeg
AE6C34B1-5E31-4B64-98AA-4243AD74969C (resized).jpeg
8213E397-8123-4DD9-BA86-2194F1E9ED5C (resized).jpeg
9520D21C-6717-4824-B83E-A41E25AAEEBE (resized).jpeg
D89D7674-5FDA-4B1A-82EA-6C9DEACD33E4 (resized).jpeg
There are 590 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 12.
#301 4 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

That overlay looks nice, that pf is so far gone, unless you are that good with an airbrush....... I'd sand it down put the overlay down and put a pf protector on top..

exactly what he said.

#302 4 years ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

I have stripped my playfield down in preparation for the next step...which ever step that may be.
Repaint? The mylar is lifting up at the top right corner. I think that if I try to remove the mylar with freeze-spray that I will lose all of the artwork thar remains in the center. I don't think repainting this playfield is an option.
I have also printed a replacement vinyl overlay. It aligns very well with the inserts from what I can see...but once I break out the orbital sander and sand off the artwork, there's no going back. Thoughts?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Trying to restore this one will take a great deal of time and skill and the end result will most probably not be better than using the overlay.
I would definitely go with the overlay for this one .

#303 4 years ago
Quoted from poibug:

Disconnect antireset board, ironically they can cause resets

Thank you! I stopped having lock-ups and other errors when I disconnected this.

#304 4 years ago

Thank you! I stopped having lock-ups and other errors when I disconnected this.

No probs, glad I could help
Good luck

#305 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I did this with an earth shaker. Sand the playfield flat... spray automotive clearcoat on lightly, and let dry. Sand that layer. Lay on another coat of automotive clearcoat, sand that layer, lay on another coat of automotive clearcoat, sand that layer, Cut and buff to a decent shine. Then take 1200 grit sandpaper and lightly sand every area where there is no insert.
Apply the overlay.
Very lightly scuff the overlay with 1200 grit sandpaper, just enough to dull it a tiny bit.
Spray on automotive clearcoat. Let dry completely. Sand
, Spray another coat, sand, cut and buff to a mirror S spray another coat, sand, cut and buff to a shine.... better than new
Vid1900 has a great clearcoat tutorial thread restoring playfields somewhere around here

Thanks! I'll be following these instructions carefully and praying for no bubbles or lifting. The RW was picked up today by the movers along with my TZ to join the rest of my collection back in the States. I'll get cracking on it again in a few months.

Chosen_S
Until then, I'll daydream about a future expansion of my arcade room to mimic something even close to your epic Level Up Arcade! Your RW really looks great in the line-up.

Video #3 below shows the current state of troubleshooting / restoration. I did solve the problem from video #2 with the rear flash lamps and alien ship lamps not illuminating. The problem was dirty contacts on the relay that controls the "animator" board. All 10 of the rear lamps (in reflectors) and the 20 ships are now good.

#306 4 years ago

Thanks! I'll be following these instructions carefully and praying for no bubbles or lifting. The RW was picked up today by the movers along with my TZ to join the rest of my collection back in the States. I'll get cracking on it again in a few months.
Chosen_S
Until then, I'll daydream about a future expansion of my arcade room to mimic something even close to your epic Level Up Arcade! Your RW really looks great in the line-up.
Video #3 below shows the current state of troubleshooting / restoration. I did solve the problem from video #2 with the rear flash lamps and alien ship lamps not illuminating. The problem was dirty contacts on the relay that controls the "animator" board. All 10 of the rear lamps (in reflectors) and the 20 ships are now good.

Thank you very much!

I love Robowar sounds so much that I’ve mixed them in my Tron LE

#307 4 years ago

Can someone share, or direct me to the 2 sound board roms? I'm getting the music, but not the sounds when switches are activated.

Ground mods done. I get a blinking LED on the sound board. I socketed and swapped ram on the sound board. Jumping pins (S1-S4) on the sound board to ground, only gets me the music, no sounds. Voltage is 5.43 at the sound board. I figured I'd try to rewrite the sound roms. Any other guidance would be very welcome! TIA.

#308 4 years ago
Quoted from mack505:

Can someone share, or direct me to the 2 sound board roms? I'm getting the music, but not the sounds when switches are activated.
Ground mods done. I get a blinking LED on the sound board. I socketed and swapped ram on the sound board. Jumping pins (S1-S4) on the sound board to ground, only gets me the music, no sounds. Voltage is 5.43 at the sound board. I figured I'd try to rewrite the sound roms. Any other guidance would be very welcome! TIA.

Maybe download the mame roms and burn those to rom chips if all else fails?

#309 4 years ago
Quoted from mack505:

PM me to send you the rom files

#310 4 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

PM me to send you the rom files

Thanks! sent you a PM.

#311 4 years ago

Started the tear down for my RoboWar restoration and noticed this switch on the QTS relay. Looks like it is permanently closed. Is it supposed to be this way? I’ve never noticed any problems during game play. Thanks.

8C4E992C-5804-494E-A089-13F69BC965E9 (resized).jpeg8C4E992C-5804-494E-A089-13F69BC965E9 (resized).jpegEBB81323-C04E-4CF2-91D3-FFE14BEC7F37 (resized).jpegEBB81323-C04E-4CF2-91D3-FFE14BEC7F37 (resized).jpeg
#312 4 years ago

T switches the playfield illumination and should be closed by default. When the relay is activated, the contact should open. The switch stack is mounted to the relay in the wrong way and should be turned so the lever opens the contact when the relay is activated.

#313 4 years ago

Thank you!

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from wylcot:

And 'til then, I'll have that overlay made.
By the way, if someone has used the playfield scan I emailed to those who requested it, I'd love to have some feedback. Does it fit, etc...

I have printed the overlay on regular paper and it appears to fit properly. I got 2 copies on vinyl printed and I'll be installing it in the next few months. I'll let you know.

#315 4 years ago

my mate printed an overlay decal for me but it was slightly too big
I appreciated being sent it tho, must view differently in different editing packages?

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from poibug:

my mate printed an overlay decal for me but it was slightly too big
I appreciated being sent it tho, must view differently in different editing packages?

poibug When I stripped my worn-out RW playfield down the original artwork's alignment marks were all still visible and I measured the following dimensions:

1. Left-right distance between the two bottom alignment marks as 385mm (C)
2. Left-right distance between the two top alignment marks as 438mm (B)
3. Up-down distance between the two left alignment marks as 927mm (A)
4. Up-down distance between the two right alignment marks as 931mm (D)

I used GIMP to slightly adjust the original graphic dimensions to match the measurements I took of my machine and then exported to .PDF format and printed it out on regular paper. In the GIMP program you can measure between 2 points on the artwork easily so this is a bit of trial and error, but worked fine. The paper printed version's alignment marks matched very closely to my trashed playfield's alighment marks (within 1mm), so then I printed onto vinyl.

I won't know for another 6 weeks or so if it really fits as my machine is being moved to the USA.
20190527_081915 (1) (resized).jpg20190527_081915 (1) (resized).jpg

#317 4 years ago

Out of all the games I own, this is the only I think makes sense to get a Pinstadium product. It has such great mojo but is just so dark. Thinking about biting the bullet on it for this game.

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Out of all the games I own, this is the only I think makes sense to get a Pinstadium product. It has such great mojo but is just so dark. Thinking about biting the bullet on it for this game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting/page/10#post-5028534

1 week later
#319 4 years ago

Club member at last! I made a new translite for mine that's got a fun late 70's heavy metal vibe and adds a little sex appeal. I will post a follow up pic of it installed later along with a couple other mods Im working on for it. Destroy Alpha 1!

ROBO WAR PST (resized).jpgROBO WAR PST (resized).jpg
1 month later
#320 4 years ago

Robo on ebay. Low opening bid.
Says it is in good condition and works.
Only one pic offered however, mmm...

2 weeks later
#321 4 years ago

Now at the stage of fitting the playfield graphic overlay before final application. The playfield has been stripped, sanded, clearcoated, then lightly sanded again. Applying black around some of the inserts to hide some minor mis-match (about 1-2 mm).

More details on my YouTube channel. Search RoboWar Restoration and you'll find it.

20190816_135636 (resized).jpg20190816_135636 (resized).jpg20190814_180051 (resized).jpg20190814_180051 (resized).jpg20190814_184419 (resized).jpg20190814_184419 (resized).jpg20190814_174356 (resized).jpg20190814_174356 (resized).jpg
#322 4 years ago

Troubleshooting a possible bad PROM or DROM on my RW. Game functions but the sound is scratchy and goes away when the DROM1 is removed. Does anyone know where I can find the RoboWar game and sound rom images? I'd like to burn a new set to test if this is the culprit.

20190521_192352 (resized).jpg20190521_192352 (resized).jpg

#323 4 years ago

All I can say is I'm jealous of everyone that owns a Robo-War. I need one to go next to my Genesis.

2 weeks later
#324 4 years ago

The Robo-War is complete and now in the line-up! After rescuing it from Italy, I spent a few hundred hours troubleshooting problems, applying a playfield overlay, clearcoating the playfield (Auto 2K), repainting the cabinet, and now it is finally complete!

There are still a few small issues to sort out: 1. Pop bumpers do not flash in succession when the ball hits one of them, and the extra-ball light does not shift position as it should. I believe this is on the MPU...perhaps a corrupted ROM.

Does anyone have the PROM files? I'd like to reflash some 2764's and see if it helps.

2. Sound effects are scratchy. Music is fine, but the other sounds are scratchy. Maybe a bad DROM? Gonna first try changing the RAM on the "D" side of the MA866 sound board and see if it helps.

Really happy anyway! Thanks to wylcot & poibug for the artwork graphic (and whoever else worked on it)!

20190909_212943 (resized).jpg20190909_212943 (resized).jpg20190909_213027 (resized).jpg20190909_213027 (resized).jpg20190908_194442 (resized).jpg20190908_194442 (resized).jpg20190908_230409 (resized).jpg20190908_230409 (resized).jpg20190908_200857 (resized).jpg20190908_200857 (resized).jpg20190908_230358 (resized).jpg20190908_230358 (resized).jpg

#325 4 years ago

Looks great!
Kinda like the yellow trim on the backbox.
Clean playfield.
Be proud you rescued a fairly rare machine.
Congrats and well done!

#326 4 years ago

The Robo-War is complete and now in the line-up! After rescuing it from Italy, I spent a few hundred hours troubleshooting problems, applying a playfield overlay, clearcoating the playfield (Auto 2K), repainting the cabinet, and now it is finally complete!
There are still a few small issues to sort out: 1. Pop bumpers do not flash in succession when the ball hits one of them, and the extra-ball light does not shift position as it should. I believe this is on the MPU...perhaps a corrupted ROM.
Does anyone have the PROM files? I'd like to reflash some 2764's and see if it helps.
2. Sound effects are scratchy. Music is fine, but the other sounds are scratchy. Maybe a bad DROM? Gonna first try changing the RAM on the "D" side of the MA866 sound board and see if it helps.
Really happy anyway! Thanks wylcot for the artwork help!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

PM to send you the files.

#327 4 years ago

Really happy anyway! Thanks to wylcot & poibug for the artwork graphic (and whoever else worked on it)!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Way to go!!! Totally awesome man!

#328 4 years ago

Finished!!

pretty much

#329 4 years ago

For anyone who has a blown-out playfield on their RW...I have one extra copy of the vinyl graphic that I used to overlay the playfield on my game. If you are interested I am willing to sell it for $100 plus shipping (which is what I have into it). Please be aware that it is around 1-2mm long (you can see the minor mis-match in my restoration video series on YouTube. I also added a small "easter egg" to the graphic above the pops to make it my own. (see if you can spot it). The insert areas are white, so this has to be cut out with a razor knife and waterslide decals applied. Again, watch my YT series on the whole thing if you're interested. I don't want to mislead anyone about the overlay.

I can also provide the playfield graphic pdf file to anyone who wants to try and get their own printed out.

Lastly, I made a pdf of the inserts that I printed onto waterslide decal material that I can share as well. Send me a PM.

Thanks to those who helped me along the way to get my Robo-war back to (near) 100%!

0d511d96b663d44b953311331115d363a9c832aa (resized).jpg0d511d96b663d44b953311331115d363a9c832aa (resized).jpgIMG-20190905-WA0007 (resized).jpegIMG-20190905-WA0007 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#330 4 years ago

Rebuilding my Robowar and I need to know the location and type of the switch that turns the game on , which is on the bottom of the cabinet. The previous owner drilled an irregular hole and placed a rectangular one. Any images of that and of the mains cable that enters the back of the cabinet will be appreciated

1 month later
#331 4 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

Rebuilding my Robowar and I need to know the location and type of the switch that turns the game on , which is on the bottom of the cabinet. The previous owner drilled an irregular hole and placed a rectangular one. Any images of that and of the mains cable that enters the back of the cabinet will be appreciated

Did anyone get back to you? If not, PM me and I'll take some pics for you.

#332 4 years ago

I'm having a tournament this weekend and adjusting my tilts >

Are there any adjustments possible in the settings? Seems to tilt with one warning. Wondering if I can set it so player gets a warning or two before it tilts? I don't see anything in the manual maybe I'm missing something.

#333 4 years ago

I'm super excited. I have joined the club. Check out the pics of this beauty here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dHRqmZcjQnp699Gd6

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

I'm super excited. I have joined the club. Check out the pics of this beauty here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dHRqmZcjQnp699Gd6

Beautiful find . Looks impeccable ! Where was this little gem been hiding ?

#335 4 years ago

Just got my Robo-War set up. After years of fawning over the copy that comes to Allentown and/or the York show every so often, I’m so glad to have found my own.

What a fantastic game! Great art, rules, and sounds. Planning on a light restore with this one. Cab is good, and ordered a new translight and plastic set.

08FE83DD-46F4-44E3-84D6-4256259CCC36 (resized).jpeg08FE83DD-46F4-44E3-84D6-4256259CCC36 (resized).jpeg
#336 4 years ago

Hey Folks - for those of you looking for plastics. I heard from Retro Refurbs. They said they'd do another run if they get enough people on the waitlist. So please go here and enter your email:

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/robo-war-pinball-plastic-set/

Thanks!

#337 4 years ago

Hi!

I have problems with a robowar. When I turn the game on the ramp stays on.
Haven’t start a game.
I have check and changed all components on both MPU and power board. MPU z32,33,34,35,u6. Power Q15,Z4.
Switch ok and Q3 ok. Cable checked
Anyone with experience

#338 4 years ago
Quoted from JHPSWE:

Hi!
I have problems with a robowar. When I turn the game on the ramp stays on.
Haven’t start a game.
I have check and changed all components on both MPU and power board. MPU z32,33,34,35,u6. Power Q15,Z4.
Switch ok and Q3 ok. Cable checked
Anyone with experience

Are there 2 balls in the machine? If the game doesn't sense that 2 balls are in the trough then the ramp will raise up and the game won't start. Hopefully it's that simple

Make sure that the trough switches are working properly.

#339 4 years ago

Are there 2 balls in the machine? If the game doesn't sense that 2 balls are in the trough then the ramp will raise up and the game won't start. Hopefully it's that simple
Make sure that the trough switches are working properly.

The machine starts if I have the connector disable to Q3 board.
Switch works but will will check again just to be 100.

2 weeks later
#340 4 years ago

Well after being shipped across the US I finally have my Robo-War set up and it's just so awesome. Love the music, the shots, the lights and the rules. GREAT GAME.

I do have one issue. I can't seem to disable the attract mode sound. I have SWITCH 7 set to OFF per the manual but still it always plays in attract mode. I've made sure it's in the right position (even tried both positions just to be sure) and restart and yet I always hear it. Any ideas?

#341 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

I do have one issue. I can't seem to disable the attract mode sound. I have SWITCH 7 set to OFF per the manual but still it always plays in attract mode. I've made sure it's in the right position (even tried both positions just to be sure) and restart and yet I always hear it. Any ideas?

Oh, and I've confirmed in test that the dipswitch does indeed work.

#342 4 years ago

Getadam, I just looked at my game. Switch 7 was on, played attract sound, switched it off (you have to turn the game off and back on again) and the sound no longer plays in attract. Not sure if there were any future ROM revisions, but I’m running revision 1.

Did you power cycle the game after making the dip switch adjustment? I don’t think slam tilting the game is enough. Also, double check you’re changing the right switch. Switch 7 is sandwiched between the coinage options, so it’s easy to adjust the wrong dip and not see a change.

#343 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Did you power cycle the game after making the dip switch adjustment? I don’t think slam tilting the game is enough. Also, double check you’re changing the right switch. Switch 7 is sandwiched between the coinage options, so it’s easy to adjust the wrong dip and not see a change.

Thanks for your response. Yup, def power-cycle after making the change. And I'm sure it's switch 7. It's the second to last one in the first package of eight switches. I even confirmed the right Hex value is displayed in dip switch settings.

Any other ideas? This is really bumming me out because I keep my games in my office and can't have meetings/calls with the game on since the attract mode sound interrupts.

#344 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

Any other ideas? This is really bumming me out because I keep my games in my office and can't have meetings/calls with the game on since the attract mode sound interrupts.

I would ask in either the general forum, or in the System1-System 80B club thread. Could be a problem that effects more than just Robo War.

(Side note: Super awesome you keep games in your office!)

#345 4 years ago

I was able to fix my issue with attract sound. While the manual says it's controlled with dip switch 7, on a whim I tried dip swtich 8 and sure enough that fixed it.

#346 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

I was able to fix it my issue with attract sound. While the manual says it's controlled with dip switch 7, on a whim I tried dip swtich 8 and sure enough that fixed it.

That’s probably my issue! Thanks!

#347 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

on a whim I tried dip swtich 8 and sure enough that fixed it.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

That’s probably my issue!

Weird if The same solution corrects the same issue in both of your games... what’s the checksum of the ROMs you guys are running? I’m wondering if Gottlieb released revisions that correct software bugs.

4 weeks later
#348 4 years ago

Does anyone of you know where to buy a Robo War translite? I can't seem to find one. Thanks!

#349 4 years ago
Quoted from Code:

Does anyone of you know where to buy a Robo War translite? I can't seem to find one. Thanks!

Also check eBay

#350 4 years ago
Quoted from Code:

Marco Specialties carries them.
They are currently out of stock however.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

There are 590 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robo-war-fan-club-all-welcome/page/7?hl=duffysarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.