Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by crlush
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 112 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190527_081915 (1) (resized).jpg
EBB81323-C04E-4CF2-91D3-FFE14BEC7F37 (resized).jpeg
8C4E992C-5804-494E-A089-13F69BC965E9 (resized).jpeg
20190529_161845 (resized).jpg
20190529_162717 (resized).jpg
20190529_142005 (resized).jpg
20190529_155852 (resized).jpg
IMG_0765 (resized).JPG
IMG_0702 (resized).JPG
side (resized).png
20190521_123009 (resized).jpg
20190521_163710 (resized).jpg
20190521_151117 (resized).jpg
20190521_151103 (resized).jpg
20190521_151125 (resized).jpg
20190521_151137 (resized).jpg

There are 318 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 20 days ago
Quoted from ZEN:

That overlay looks nice, that pf is so far gone, unless you are that good with an airbrush....... I'd sand it down put the overlay down and put a pf protector on top..

exactly what he said.

#302 17 days ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

I have stripped my playfield down in preparation for the next step...which ever step that may be.
Repaint? The mylar is lifting up at the top right corner. I think that if I try to remove the mylar with freeze-spray that I will lose all of the artwork thar remains in the center. I don't think repainting this playfield is an option.
I have also printed a replacement vinyl overlay. It aligns very well with the inserts from what I can see...but once I break out the orbital sander and sand off the artwork, there's no going back. Thoughts?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Trying to restore this one will take a great deal of time and skill and the end result will most probably not be better than using the overlay.
I would definitely go with the overlay for this one .

#303 17 days ago
Quoted from poibug:

Disconnect antireset board, ironically they can cause resets

Thank you! I stopped having lock-ups and other errors when I disconnected this.

#304 17 days ago

Thank you! I stopped having lock-ups and other errors when I disconnected this.

No probs, glad I could help
Good luck

#305 12 days ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I did this with an earth shaker. Sand the playfield flat... spray automotive clearcoat on lightly, and let dry. Sand that layer. Lay on another coat of automotive clearcoat, sand that layer, lay on another coat of automotive clearcoat, sand that layer, Cut and buff to a decent shine. Then take 1200 grit sandpaper and lightly sand every area where there is no insert.
Apply the overlay.
Very lightly scuff the overlay with 1200 grit sandpaper, just enough to dull it a tiny bit.
Spray on automotive clearcoat. Let dry completely. Sand
, Spray another coat, sand, cut and buff to a mirror S spray another coat, sand, cut and buff to a shine.... better than new
Vid1900 has a great clearcoat tutorial thread restoring playfields somewhere around here

Thanks! I'll be following these instructions carefully and praying for no bubbles or lifting. The RW was picked up today by the movers along with my TZ to join the rest of my collection back in the States. I'll get cracking on it again in a few months.

Chosen_S
Until then, I'll daydream about a future expansion of my arcade room to mimic something even close to your epic Level Up Arcade! Your RW really looks great in the line-up.

Video #3 below shows the current state of troubleshooting / restoration. I did solve the problem from video #2 with the rear flash lamps and alien ship lamps not illuminating. The problem was dirty contacts on the relay that controls the "animator" board. All 10 of the rear lamps (in reflectors) and the 20 ships are now good.

#306 11 days ago

Thanks! I'll be following these instructions carefully and praying for no bubbles or lifting. The RW was picked up today by the movers along with my TZ to join the rest of my collection back in the States. I'll get cracking on it again in a few months.
Chosen_S
Until then, I'll daydream about a future expansion of my arcade room to mimic something even close to your epic Level Up Arcade! Your RW really looks great in the line-up.
Video #3 below shows the current state of troubleshooting / restoration. I did solve the problem from video #2 with the rear flash lamps and alien ship lamps not illuminating. The problem was dirty contacts on the relay that controls the "animator" board. All 10 of the rear lamps (in reflectors) and the 20 ships are now good.

Thank you very much!

I love Robowar sounds so much that I’ve mixed them in my Tron LE

#307 8 days ago

Can someone share, or direct me to the 2 sound board roms? I'm getting the music, but not the sounds when switches are activated.

Ground mods done. I get a blinking LED on the sound board. I socketed and swapped ram on the sound board. Jumping pins (S1-S4) on the sound board to ground, only gets me the music, no sounds. Voltage is 5.43 at the sound board. I figured I'd try to rewrite the sound roms. Any other guidance would be very welcome! TIA.

#308 7 days ago
Quoted from mack505:

Can someone share, or direct me to the 2 sound board roms? I'm getting the music, but not the sounds when switches are activated.
Ground mods done. I get a blinking LED on the sound board. I socketed and swapped ram on the sound board. Jumping pins (S1-S4) on the sound board to ground, only gets me the music, no sounds. Voltage is 5.43 at the sound board. I figured I'd try to rewrite the sound roms. Any other guidance would be very welcome! TIA.

Maybe download the mame roms and burn those to rom chips if all else fails?

#309 6 days ago
Quoted from mack505:

PM me to send you the rom files

#310 6 days ago
Quoted from phototamer:

PM me to send you the rom files

Thanks! sent you a PM.

#311 4 days ago

Started the tear down for my RoboWar restoration and noticed this switch on the QTS relay. Looks like it is permanently closed. Is it supposed to be this way? I’ve never noticed any problems during game play. Thanks.

8C4E992C-5804-494E-A089-13F69BC965E9 (resized).jpegEBB81323-C04E-4CF2-91D3-FFE14BEC7F37 (resized).jpeg
#312 4 days ago

T switches the playfield illumination and should be closed by default. When the relay is activated, the contact should open. The switch stack is mounted to the relay in the wrong way and should be turned so the lever opens the contact when the relay is activated.

#313 3 days ago

Thank you!

#314 3 days ago
Quoted from wylcot:

And 'til then, I'll have that overlay made.
By the way, if someone has used the playfield scan I emailed to those who requested it, I'd love to have some feedback. Does it fit, etc...

I have printed the overlay on regular paper and it appears to fit properly. I got 2 copies on vinyl printed and I'll be installing it in the next few months. I'll let you know.

#315 3 days ago

my mate printed an overlay decal for me but it was slightly too big
I appreciated being sent it tho, must view differently in different editing packages?

#316 3 days ago
Quoted from poibug:

my mate printed an overlay decal for me but it was slightly too big
I appreciated being sent it tho, must view differently in different editing packages?

poibug When I stripped my worn-out RW playfield down the original artwork's alignment marks were all still visible and I measured the following dimensions:

1. Left-right distance between the two bottom alignment marks as 385mm (C)
2. Left-right distance between the two top alignment marks as 438mm (B)
3. Up-down distance between the two left alignment marks as 927mm (A)
4. Up-down distance between the two right alignment marks as 931mm (D)

I used GIMP to slightly adjust the original graphic dimensions to match the measurements I took of my machine and then exported to .PDF format and printed it out on regular paper. In the GIMP program you can measure between 2 points on the artwork easily so this is a bit of trial and error, but worked fine. The paper printed version's alignment marks matched very closely to my trashed playfield's alighment marks (within 1mm), so then I printed onto vinyl.

I won't know for another 6 weeks or so if it really fits as my machine is being moved to the USA.
20190527_081915 (1) (resized).jpg

#317 3 days ago

Out of all the games I own, this is the only I think makes sense to get a Pinstadium product. It has such great mojo but is just so dark. Thinking about biting the bullet on it for this game.

#318 2 days ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Out of all the games I own, this is the only I think makes sense to get a Pinstadium product. It has such great mojo but is just so dark. Thinking about biting the bullet on it for this game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-stadium-lighting/page/10#post-5028534

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 299.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
There are 318 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside