pasted_image (resized).png
Resized_20230505_223621 (resized).jpeg
16813266338781118304005082785187 (resized).jpg
21774734-D892-49D9-9755-E78CFBC44517 (resized).jpeg
AE6C34B1-5E31-4B64-98AA-4243AD74969C (resized).jpeg
8213E397-8123-4DD9-BA86-2194F1E9ED5C (resized).jpeg
9520D21C-6717-4824-B83E-A41E25AAEEBE (resized).jpeg
D89D7674-5FDA-4B1A-82EA-6C9DEACD33E4 (resized).jpeg
There are 590 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.
#51 7 years ago

I'm having a lighting issue, I still need to do the ground mods, crossing my fingers to get it done this weekend. then on to tackle this problem...

Id sure appreciate any help, Zen has already pointed me in a good direction to testing the connections, but I know nothing more can really be diagnosed before I do the ground mods...
Thanks guys!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robo-war-lighting-issues

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm having a lighting issue, I still need to do the ground mods, crossing my fingers to get it done this weekend. then on to tackle this problem...
Id sure appreciate any help, Zen has already pointed me in a good direction to testing the connections, but I know nothing more can really be diagnosed before I do the ground mods...
Thanks guys!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robo-war-lighting-issues

check the lighting replays/ coils on the underside of pf.

I had a head scratcher that ended up just being those relay switches.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

word, Ill look at it this evening (or maybe at lunch if I can sneak away)

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

found 1 relay that turns on the multi-ship insert lamp matrix, its functioning properly.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

found 1 relay that turns on the multi-ship insert lamp matrix, its functioning properly.

leds? or incans?

#56 7 years ago

Also, I forgot to tell you Chosen... I once fixed a guys Spring Break, it had a weird lamp issue, we changed the battery and rest to factory settings and that fixed it.. Agree ground mods and interconnect harness and pcb edges first..
Until then I did some cool post lighting on mine.. I really like it since I play RW in a dark room...

1490812586924174922220 (resized).jpg1490812586924174922220 (resized).jpg

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

leds? or incans?

they were Led's... I swapped all of the questionable inserts to incandescents, and the problem persists.

I have noticed when the "launch attack" insert is lit, the problem stops ( I need to do a little more research on this part)... so the problem stops when a ball is locked.

Quoted from ZEN:

Also, I forgot to tell you Chosen... I once fixed a guys Spring Break, it had a weird lamp issue, we changed the battery and rest to factory settings and that fixed it.. Agree ground mods and interconnect harness and pcb edges first..
Until then I did some cool post lighting on mine.. I really like it since I play RW in a dark room...

I'll change the battery and reset as well

I like the posts lit up, very nice!

#58 7 years ago

I would do all the mods first, before chasing stuff.

I still seem to remember an almost identical symptom and it had to do with those coil/relays on the bottom of the pf or are they in the cab? that control the chase lights.

I dont have the game in front of me to look at so sorry not a better description.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would do all the mods first, before chasing stuff.
I still seem to remember an almost identical symptom and it had to do with those coil/relays on the bottom of the pf or are they in the cab? that control the chase lights.
I dont have the game in front of me to look at so sorry not a better description.

So did the Chase lights affect the Robowar inserts and the bonus multiplier inserts?

The coil/relay that turns on the chasing lights with the ship inserts in on the very bottom back center of the playfield, there's only one relay back there

#60 7 years ago

from what I remember, yes.

My solution was some combination of mucking with that relay, ground mods, new battery, and full reset.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

from what I remember, yes.
My solution was some combination of mucking with that relay, ground mods, new battery, and full reset.

Makes sense...

Ground mods done, cab and back box. I started to deal with the battery, then noticed I have some leakage that I've got to deal with. Problem persists,

can I do 3AA batteries for the mpu? I'll just remote them if so.

IMG_4419 (resized).JPGIMG_4419 (resized).JPG

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

can I do 3AA batteries for the mpu? I'll just remote them if so.

You can but you need a blocking doodle so the game doesn't charge them.. Kapow. Just remember to put the banded side to the positive pole on the board.. 3 aa's will work. Or.. You can just use a memory capacitor,

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

You can but you need a blocking doodle so the game doesn't charge them.. Kapow. Just remember to put the banded side to the positive pole on the board.. 3 aa's will work. Or.. You can just use a memory capacitor,

Oh yeah, I have a few memory caps lying around! It's late I wasn't thinking, I'll pull the board tomorrow and go to town on the corrosion and replacement

#64 7 years ago

Hmmm....another groundmod. Don't use the heatsink as a common plane for the Ground. You are not improving your game with this but creating a potential short. The heatsink is barely isolated from the 5V. Just by a thin shim as the metal casing of the LM338 regulator is the 5V output. Use the yellow strap right below in the backbox in stead as a common for GND. Gottlieb used plastic washers to isolate the heatsink from the foil (=GND) in the backbox. And there is a reason to do so.

#65 7 years ago

http://1930s.com/pinball/forsale/RoboWarBox.html

Robo War box for sale near Toronto, Canada

#66 7 years ago

Is it yours?

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Hmmm....another groundmod. Don't use the heatsink as a common plane for the Ground. You are not improving your game with this but creating a potential short. The heatsink is barely isolated from the 5V. Just by a thin shim as the metal casing of the LM338 regulator is the 5V output. Use the yellow strap right below in the backbox in stead as a common for GND. Gottlieb used plastic washers to isolate the heatsink from the foil (=GND) in the backbox. And there is a reason to do so.

Thank you, I'll change it up

#68 7 years ago

I changed my backbox ground mod to get away from the heat sink, all ground mods complete except the displays. (Don't know where to connect ground)

I checked the shooter lane switch, it was closed all the time, I fixed it so the switch is not shorted when there is no ball sitting on it.
The transistors on the driver board were tight
I replaced the battery with a memory capacitor
The correct music plays afaik.

Located the QTS bank of relays, cleaned the switches.
I'm starting to think a transistor on the lamp driver board???
Problem persists

#69 7 years ago

Yes.

#70 7 years ago

Posted from my repair thread:

FINALLY! This only took a week , hehe,

I really appreciate you guys help.

The switch (36) in the shooter lane was put together incorrectly which resulted in a short, so I adjusted everything as it is supposed to be and now all is well with the freaking out inserts.

I cleaned the game and waxed the pf, fixed some incorrect rubber,shooter spring, and a few other issues and about to do a few lighting mods to make the crowds cheer. She is one beautiful, amazing sounding and fun game!
I wander how long the switch has been messed up, the inserts literally made me sick to play the game and I usually don't have an issue with strobing lights

2 weeks later
#71 7 years ago

Just joined the club today.Semi-working.Just some small wear down by the flippers.Picked it up for $170
Can't wait to start the restoration

20170414_215057 (resized).jpg20170414_215057 (resized).jpg

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Just joined the club today.Semi-working.Just some small wear down by the flippers.Picked it up for $170

Great! Document it!! I want to see!

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Great! Document it!! I want to see!

Will do

#74 7 years ago

SWEET, sounds good

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Hot dog! Can hardly wait to see the progress!

1 week later
#76 7 years ago

Just finished the teardown.Cleaned the inside a bit and glued the front of the cabinet together.Some parts are ordered and the rest soon.
Just as you know,i'm not a super restoration dude.I do the best i can and so far i'm happy with the ones i have restored so far.This will be my 8th pinball restoration.
I also like it to somehow look like it's a 25-30 year old pinball so i only clean the cabinet and do some touch up to the paint.I think some "nicks and scratches" just tells a story.
Well,here are some pics.
Stay tuned

20170421_153533 (resized).jpg20170421_153533 (resized).jpg

20170421_154738 (resized).jpg20170421_154738 (resized).jpg

20170424_211632 (resized).jpg20170424_211632 (resized).jpg

20170425_204447 (resized).jpg20170425_204447 (resized).jpg

20170425_204459 (resized).jpg20170425_204459 (resized).jpg

20170425_204631 (resized).jpg20170425_204631 (resized).jpg

20170425_204539 (resized).jpg20170425_204539 (resized).jpg

20170425_204605 (resized).jpg20170425_204605 (resized).jpg

20170425_204555 (resized).jpg20170425_204555 (resized).jpg

20170425_204612 (resized).jpg20170425_204612 (resized).jpg

20170425_204648 (resized).jpg20170425_204648 (resized).jpg

20170425_204706 (resized).jpg20170425_204706 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#77 6 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Just finished the teardown.Cleaned the inside a bit and glued the front of the cabinet together.Some parts are ordered and the rest soon.
Just as you know,i'm not a super restoration dude.I do the best i can and so far i'm happy with the ones i have restored so far.This will be my 8th pinball restoration.
I also like it to somehow look like it's a 25-30 year old pinball so i only clean the cabinet and do some touch up to the paint.I think some "nicks and scratches" just tells a story.
Well,here are some pics.
Stay tuned

This is going to be good!

1 month later
#78 6 years ago

Been in the club for a bit. Just finished a shop on this.

IMG_2264 (resized).JPGIMG_2264 (resized).JPG

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Been in the club

Looks awesome -- the world could use another RW video, just sayin!
-mof

1 week later
#80 6 years ago

Picked up a TX Sector recently. Gotta tell you guys: dollar for dollar, RW may be the better game! Shhhhhh.....

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Picked up a TX Sector recently. Gotta tell you guys: dollar for dollar, RW may be the better game! Shhhhhh.....

I feel the same way. Sold my Tx and kept my Robowar and Excalibur.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

If your looking to get rid of it ket me know.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

I feel the same way. Sold my Tx and kept my Robowar and Excalibur.

Re-heally? I have those two and pine for a TX, might need to adjust my attitude!

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Re-heally? I have those two and pine for a TX, might need to adjust my attitude!

Yup. Lots of better $3000 games out there than Tx Sector imho.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I agree. Robo is great but TX tops it for gameplay and audio.

I love having them both and think Excalibur really rounds out the 80b trifecta. If I were to add one more it would be genesis

1 week later
#86 6 years ago

Can anyone send me a diagram from the manual of the ramp? I don't want to purchase a manual, but i want to install the ramp on another game.

thanks,
aaron

1 week later
#87 6 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Can anyone send me a diagram from the manual of the ramp? I don't want to purchase a manual, but i want to install the ramp on another game.
thanks,
aaron

I have a manual and will scan the page tomorow for ya, pm ur email address.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I have a manual and will scan the page tomorow for ya, pm ur email address.

I already got one, but thanks,

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I already got one, but thanks,

Cool, I didn't notice ur post was 2 weeks ago.

2 weeks later
#90 6 years ago

About to join the club as a deposit has been made. Hard to believe that I am about to land a machine from my very short list of ultimates!
Should have it in house in a week or so.
Really lookin' forward.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

About to join the club as a deposit has been made. Hard to believe that I am about to land a machine from my very short list of ultimates!
Should have it in house in a week or so.
Really lookin' forward.

Yeah! I get excited every time I see there's a new post here

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Yeah! I get excited every time I see there's a new post here

Celebrate while helping me solve this!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robo-war-starts-up-to-attract-mode-w-attract-sound-wont-start-game

1 week later
#93 6 years ago

Managed to get some work done during my vacation.Just need to do the ground mod,installing the boards (new mpu and driver board) coindoor and some cabinet work.Been busy the last couple of months completing the new gameroom

20170728_223629 (resized).jpg20170728_223629 (resized).jpg

20170730_233036 (resized).jpg20170730_233036 (resized).jpg

20170731_233208 (resized).jpg20170731_233208 (resized).jpg

#94 6 years ago

Just did the ground mod and finished cleaning the speakerpanel but not sure if the wires to the speakers are correct.
Could someone please confirm if this is correct or post a picture of the back of the speakerpanel ?

20170802_212424 (resized).jpg20170802_212424 (resized).jpg

#95 6 years ago

Anyone ? :

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Just did the ground mod and finished cleaning the speakerpanel but not sure if the wires to the speakers are correct.
Could someone please confirm if this is correct or post a picture of the back of the speakerpanel ?

bump for a hard working guy!

I'd help out, but my game is wrapped up at the moment

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

bump for a hard working guy!
I'd help out, but my game is wrapped up at the moment

Thanks.Hope someone can help me

#98 6 years ago

Selling a nice Robowar in the marketplace....has a great PF on it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-robo-war-3

PM me with any questions you have.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Selling a nice Robowar in the marketplace....has a great PF on it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-robo-war-3
PM me with any questions you have.

who would do that to a cab... what a mess!

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

who would do that to a cab... what a mess!

Looks like someone got the sponge out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 590 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robo-war-fan-club-all-welcome/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.