Topic Stats

• 218 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 days ago by Pinstein
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 65 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

87128E58-59E0-4344-960F-8F08D211ECE7 (resized).jpeg
robo-war-pinball-plastics-02 (resized).jpg
20180616_173817 (resized).jpg
20180616_173803 (resized).jpg
20180616_173748 (resized).jpg
20180616_173741 (resized).jpg
20180616_173729 (resized).jpg
20180616_173736 (resized).jpg
20180527_153927 (resized).jpg
sideblades (resized).jpg
Robowar Pops (resized).jpg
Robowar Flipper (resized).jpg
image-18 (resized).jpg
1520774723516-1284366003 (resized).jpg
15207745712361551354976 (resized).jpg
15207745463862035034910 (resized).jpg

There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 1 year ago

This game is flipping awesome. It needs a fan club. Feel free to post pics, videos, stories, and tips here!

GAME SPECIFIC INFO:
Model Number: 714
MPU: Gottlieb System 80B
Production: 2,130 units (confirmed)
Notable Features: Flippers (2), Pop bumpers (3), Multiball (2), Spinning target (1), Ramp (1), 4-bank drop targets (1), 3-bank drop targets (1), 2-bank drop targets (1), Single drop target (1), Kick-out hole (1). Hand-drawn translite.
Design by: John Trudeau, Jon Norris
Art by: Constantino Mitchell, Jeanine Mitchell
Software by: John Buras
Note of trivia: Designer John Trudeau said 'Robo-War' was an updated Gottlieb's 1978 'Sinbad'.

RESOURCES:
Todd Tuckey video of Robo-War:

Todd explaining the rules of Robo-War:

Robo-War soundtrack:

Revised MPU Board by Fred Swemmer: https://ksarcade.net/system-80b-mpu.html
Arguably, the best place to get Gottlieb parts (call if you can't find what you're looking for): http://pbresource.com/
Alt translite is available, but why???!

ORIGINAL WHITEWOOD:
Unfortunately, there only exists 1 photograph of the original whitewood. Upon closer inspection, one will see that the original design had 4 flippers! Sadly, this didn't make it into production, and outlanes were added in their place.
robo proto (resized).jpg

RULES:
SPECIAL: ADD A LETTER TO R-O-B-O-W-A-R BY COMPLETING EITHER THE
TOP ROLLOVERS (R-O-B-O), OR BY HITTING THE STROBING DROP TARGETS (B-E-T-A). COMPLETING (R-O-B-O-W-A-R) LIGHTS A
SPECIAL.

EXTRA BALL: COMPLETING THE ALPHA DROP TARGET SEQUENCE LIGHTS AN EXTRA BALL.

MULTIPLIER: ADVANCE MULTIPLIER ON VARIOUS PLAYFIELD TARGETS WHEN LIT. SCORE 10,000 TIMES MULTIPLIER FOR EACH
LETTER AWARDED IN (R-O-B-O-W-A-R) AT THE END OF A BALL IN PLAY.

MULTI-BONUS: SCORE 5000 TIMES MULTIPLIER FOR EACH DROP TARGET HIT DURING MULTI-BALL PLAY. SCORE MULTI-BONUS
VALUE IN HOLE DURING MULTI-BALL PLAY AND AFTER LAST BALL IN PLAY.

#2 1 year ago

<reserved>

#3 1 year ago

Some pics of a NOS Robo-War playfield:

robo 021 (resized).jpeg

robo 022 (resized).jpeg

robo 023 (resized).jpeg

robo 024 (resized).jpeg

#4 1 year ago

Big fan here!
-mof

#6 1 year ago

It's also my favourite System 80B out of the seven I own, with TX Sector following closely behind. So much so that I also bought a NOS playfield, new decals for the shabby cabinet and a load more new parts for a full refurb planned. Gonna do a speaker upgrade too.

Been looking for plastics for a loooong time, just not out there. Desperately need GL-5 Tower plastic as mine's smashed. Looking to send scans to Pinball Center so they'll hopefully produce a full set.

#7 1 year ago

It doesn't get any better than this.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from JMP:

It's also my favourite System 80B out of the seven I own

Nice collection, I'm a system 80 junkie as well, for me the themes and sounds/music, simple fun gameplay encapsulate the essence of great pinball.

#9 1 year ago

I moved houses, and wanted new titles in the new house, so I sold mine.
Idiot = me.
I should have had it shopped/LED'd to the moon. RW is tailor made for the good lamps.

Game also has unlimited drain bonus...which is extremely rare for 1988.
I got mine, plug and play with minor issues, for $485 locally in 2012 on CL, sitting for 6 weeks un-bought.
Now--that would sell 82 times in 10 minutes.

Outstanding game--one I truly miss.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from JMP:

Gonna do a speaker upgrade too

I think this game deserves a speaker upgrade too! The bass could be killer. Anyone know what speakers would fit and be a good upgrade?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

I think this game deserves a speaker upgrade too! The bass could be killer. Anyone know what speakers would fit and be a good upgrade?

Agreed!! I'd love to do this.....I have a new set of stern speakers but don't think they'd fit properly.

#12 1 year ago

Here's some pics of my RW:

IMG_0785 (resized).JPG

IMG_0787 (resized).JPG

IMG_0788 (resized).JPG

#13 1 year ago

I got a cheap one but its beat up, playfield wear and it needs a flipper rebuild, can't make the left ramp, finished up some lighting mods, great pin.

DSC03498 (resized).JPG

DSC03499 (resized).JPG

DSC03500 (resized).JPG

DSC03501 (resized).JPG

DSC03503 (resized).JPG

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I got a cheap one but its beat up, playfield wear and it needs a flipper rebuild, can't make the left ramp, finished up some lighting mods, great pin

LOVE those blues behind the drops. Going to add those for sure. Can you post a pic of what you are using?

Also, I find it VERY difficult to make the left ramp as well. I have to have a lot of velocity going into the shot to make it. Is this normal? I didn't think my flippers needed rebuilt (I changed the sleeves but noting else), but am starting to wonder.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Also, I find it VERY difficult to make the left ramp as well. I have to have a lot of velocity going into the shot to make it. Is this normal? I didn't think my flippers needed rebuilt (I changed the sleeves but noting else), but am starting to wonder.

Same for me, when the ball comes down the outlane nice and fast I can make the ramp or sometimes with the right bounce, mine has the 20095 coils but I can see that the flipper mechs need some love, I bought a rebuild kit and once its done I'll post if it made a difference, the lights are pretty easy, 3 led blue strips from comet with the clips and putting in a couple spotlights at the slings really lights up the game.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Same for me, when the ball comes down the outlane nice and fast I can make the ramp or sometimes with the right bounce, mine has the 20095 coils but I can see that the flipper mechs need some love, I bought a rebuild kit and once its done I'll post if it made a difference, the lights are pretty easy, 3 led blue strips from comet with the clips and putting in a couple spotlights at the slings really lights up the game.

We had the same problems at our game, even after rebuilding the flipper mech's. Looking at the Original flyer (listed at IPDB.ORG), we noticed the flipperbats are adjusted a little bit downwards. Adjusting the flipperbats like this was the solution for our game; it made making the ramp shot more easy.

Looking at the whitewood picture from designer John Trudeau at IPDB.ORG: did anyone notice the whitewood had 4 flippers installed (revealing the Sindbad roots)?

Marco

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

We had the same problems at our game, even after rebuilding the flipper mech's. Looking at the Original flyer (listed at IPDB.ORG), we noticed the flipperbats are adjusted a little bit downwards. Adjusting the flipperbats like this was the solution for our game; it made making the ramp shot more easy.

Can u post a pic of ur flippers? Thanks

#18 1 year ago

Like this, as pictured on the flyer, the lower side in line with the ball guide which makes the bat pointing down a bit. Usually, I align the heart of the flipper bat or the upper side in line with the ball guide. At our Robo War this didn't work out well for making the ramp shot.

1975f2_crop (resized).jpg

#19 1 year ago

I suggest replacing you flipper button switches. 9/10 times after a proper/full flipper rebuild if you are unhappy with power then it is an old pitted flipper switch that is the issue.

#20 1 year ago

I just did a repair to mine.. While doing it I added a polk subwoofer.... Wholly shit.. Need to add some light mods to mine as well, I'll post when I'm done

20170104_132705 (resized).jpg

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I suggest replacing you flipper button switches. 9/10 times after a proper/full flipper rebuild if you are unhappy with power then it is an old pitted flipper switch that is the issue.

This will certainly help too. Gottlieb used brass amp connectors to attach the wiring to those switches. Sometime they are broken causing a loose connection. Removing these connectors and soldering the wires directly to the switch leaves can be a big improvement too.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Removing these connectors and soldering the wires directly to the switch leaves can be a big improvement too.

Sweet. I'll do this and report back. Really want to make that ramp shot a bit easier!

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

did anyone notice the whitewood had 4 flippers installed (revealing the Sindbad roots)?

Holy crap, you're right! I added a picture (the original is so washed out, I tried to darken it up a bit to reveal the flippers more clearly) to the top of this thread, but I'll add it here as well. Honestly, I'm not convinced that they were really needed, especially the left one. I can make all the shots with just 2 flippers fine.
robo proto (resized).jpg

1 week later
#24 1 year ago

So I adjusted my flippers to point down a bit. Definitely helped make the shot a bit, but I'd still love to see what replacing the flipper button switches do as well. It's still tough to make!

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

So I adjusted my flippers to point down a bit. Definitely helped make the shot a bit, but I'd still love to see what replacing the flipper button switches do as well. It's still tough to make!

That worked for me as well but it almost seems like the flippers gets weaker as I play, I noticed this even when I had the flippers at proper placement, start a game and I would make the ramp a couple times then it would become impossible again, now in my fumbling I touched the flipper spring to the flippers switch and fried something, getting "tilt switched closed" on the display and I can't even get into the diagnostics? Might be time for a new board, damn it.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Are you certain the flipper bats are not internally cracked?

Don't make it too easy to make the ramp, though, or the game itself becomes too easy, with constant multiball.

#27 1 year ago

Anyone know of a Robo-war (in any condition working or not) for sale in Michigan? Project pin would be fine. That is one machine I would really like to find.

Robert

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Anyone know of a Robo-war (in any condition working or not) for sale

Good luck brother! They're pretty hard to come by as most went overseas. Hope you find one though.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Anyone know of a Robo-war (in any condition working or not) for sale in Michigan? Project pin would be fine. That is one machine I would really like to find.
Robert

Peoria CL had a nice one listed at $2,000

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

That worked for me as well but it almost seems like the flippers gets weaker as I play, I noticed this even when I had the flippers at proper placement, start a game and I would make the ramp a couple times then it would become impossible again, now in my fumbling I touched the flipper spring to the flippers switch and fried something, getting "tilt switched closed" on the display and I can't even get into the diagnostics? Might be time for a new board, damn it.

If you shorted the solenoid voltage to the switchmatrix circuitry there will be a few TTL gates blown and if you have bad luck also the U4 RIOT. Happens often when messing around with the flippermechs while the game is powered on - lanechange switch and EOS are stacked.......

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

If you shorted the solenoid voltage to the switchmatrix circuitry there will be a few TTL gates blown and if you have bad luck also the U4 RIOT. Happens often when messing around with the flippermechs while the game is powered on - lanechange switch and EOS are stacked.......

will that be an expensive fix or am I better off getting a new board?

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

will that be an expensive fix or am I better off getting a new board?

It will be less expensive as a new board. If your Original board is in a nice condition and not affected by a leaking battery or lousy repairs in the past, I would keep using this board and repair it or send it out for repair. I prefer Original boards above after market ones, but okay, this is my personal preference.

#33 1 year ago

The board from Swemmer (found at K's Arcade online) is quite incredible. You won't be disappointed if you go that route.

#34 1 year ago

I like mypinballs system 80B after market board. A redesigned PCB with a way better lay out.

http://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp

Still, I prefer to use Original boards.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Peoria CL had a nice one

Dibs! Got a deposit down.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Dibs! Got a deposit down.

Nice, prices on these older gottliebs seems to be going up as more find out how fun they can be . Cactus Jacks in Oklahoma City has one listed at $2,100

#37 1 year ago

Hey all. I just picked up a non-working Robo War today. Looks ok. Playfield looks really good. I've never played one and I'm generally not a fan of this type of theme. If anyone is interested, please send me a message privately.

P.s. The previous owner put the glass in backwards which is why it looks... backwards.

UPDATE: I finally got some light on the playfield and I do notice some wear at the very top/middle. I'm going to spend a few days/dollars seeing if I can get it going but I have too many other projects right now and I've never worked on a Gottlieb. I might just not have it in me. I'll post more pics as soon as I can.

IMG_1208 (resized).JPG
IMG_1205 (resized).JPG

#38 1 year ago

Raw Obor! Talk about rare! $10K by Xmas!

#39 1 year ago

Hey Robo War fans! I just listed my non-working Robo War I picked up last week.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/44899

#40 1 year ago

Woohoo! PM sent!

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from dearliza98:

I just listed my non-working Robo War

To whomever buys this, check all voltages first. Then check to make sure that the ground mods are all done. THEN (and only then), will you be able to accurately assess what's wrong in the backbox. As an owner of several System 80s, trust me on this. If the MPU isn't booting, wiggle the daughtercard to check for loose solder joints.

My 2 cents...

2 weeks later
#42 1 year ago

I ended up buying that Robo-War!

With Clay's help, the game now (mostly) works! Holy cow, what a killer game this is.

The only thing now missing is a flipper rebuild and all the sound effects. I get music, but no sound effects. Any ideas?

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

To whomever buys this, check all voltages first.

Great advice! I was getting 7v off the power supply and it took out a bunch of chips on the MPU. Dialed it back to 5 and all's good. Well, all but the sound effects....

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from RyThom:

Great advice! I was getting 7v off the power supply and it took out a bunch of chips on the MPU. Dialed it back to 5 and all's good. Well, all but the sound effects....

The soundboard has 2 sections. One is dialing with the sound effects and the other one takes care of the background music (Y and D section). Maybe one of the Eprom's is bad. I coded a testrom in order to test those boards. You will need some insight in electronics but you are free to try it. Send me a PM with your emailaddress and I will send you the images.

Marco

#45 1 year ago

The flippers have been rebuilt and wow, what a difference. I can make the ramp easily now and just rip the crap out of the spinner. Well, as long as my aim is good

One thing I'd like to recommend to all you Robo Warriors is to, as crazy as this sounds, remove the LEDs from the inserts and pop bumpers. This game has some of the most intricate, subtle light programming I've ever seen. The warm-up and cool-down time of the lamps is completely taken into consideration with the timing of the blinking. I found LEDs turn these brilliantly designed pulses into random flickers and flashes.

1 week later
#46 1 year ago

Just found this thread. I've owned my Robo-war for about 6 months. It is a fantastic machine. I play it more than any of my others. The 80's sound effects and music are awesome! The gameplay is fantastic too.

I'm planning to bring it to the Texas Pinball Festival later this month to give those who haven't played one an opportunity, but it won't be for sale!

Quoted from JMP:

Been looking for plastics for a loooong time, just not out there. Desperately need GL-5 Tower plastic as mine's smashed. Looking to send scans to Pinball Center so they'll hopefully produce a full set.

Plastics are my problem as well. The right slingshot is completely missing and the operator apparently used an old Double Dragon marquee to make a replacement. Here's my thread about that:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-game-did-this-plastic-come-from

I'd definitely be in on trying to provide scans for someone to reproduce. If anyone has any suggestions along those lines on how to get that done, I'd be interested.

#47 1 year ago

Played this game 2 different times over the years and each walk away impressed with it Have noticed the prices had jumped on these probably due to the fact the anti gottlieb crowd has played them and realized they are a good game something the gtb folks knew all along.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from cp1610:

something the gtb folks knew all along.

Yep!!

3 weeks later
#49 1 year ago

In the club!
Wow what a great game! I was missing firepower 2, but now that this bad boy has come along, I'm totally immersed. Thanks ZEN for recommending this game.

IMG_4414 (resized).JPG

#50 1 year ago

any lovers of Robowar and Tx-sector should be sure to put some time on its drop target brother, EXCALIBUR!

I think you will enjoy it also

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 50.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
€ 8.40
€ 40.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
€ 15.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.00
Boards
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 115.00
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside