(Topic ID: 89232)

Robin/Moderators - Please reset the Top 100

By hassellcastle

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-478.jpg
    Marathon-Man-Olivier_Is It SAFE.jpg
    ripken.jpg
    647323-neo_5.jpg
    girls.jpg
    david-hasselhoff-drunk1.jpg
    There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I'm not reviewing the same game(s) every year. My opinion isn't going to change that much, so it would be the same thing over and over again. All that will happen is the written reviews that I value will be non-existant.

This is exactly what will happen. I also suspect fewer people would rate at all. Heck, I can't imagine how hard it would be to re-rate the games I haven't played in years. Well, so hard I wouldn't bother trying.

Quoted from islandpinball:

Says the women who has been in the hobby for a couple of years and has already amassed 10 games and has spread her addiction to her entire family

Why do you think she's broke? lol

#52 9 years ago

Don't care

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

if you can honestly rate FH or Taxi and 8ball deluxe higher than say DHarry, T3 or IJ4 then the top 100 list is f--ked up.

Taxi is better than T3 every day of the week, including the 8th day. Start a poll if you don't believe me.
    /popcorn
    -mof

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Wrong. It was ousted by B/W lovers who gave it 2 or 3 out of ten. Take a look at the ratings without comments and you will see.

Yeah some people are just crazy right?

Quoted from Hazoff:

if you can honestly rate FH or Taxi and 8ball deluxe higher than say DHarry, T3 or IJ4 then the top 100 list is f--ked up.

Right?

#55 9 years ago

No matter what the subject in review is, I tend to shy away from the new shiniest things. I am skeptical until I see that something stands the test of time. There is a reason that the term "honeymoon period" is thrown around a lot in this hobby. In general, I like to buy tried and true things. Cars, televisions, musical instruments, appliances, and pinball machines. If something has been popular for a long time there is usually good reason.

That said, I don't wish to own most of the top 50 games. Ratings are just opinions when it's all said and done. If I question a review, I will sometimes look at the reviewers other reviews and see if we have the same taste. If not I take that into account. I actually like our Pinside system. Thank you Robin, for what you do!!

-Hougie

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

but people purposely giving low ratings to keep games out is bullshit.

Agree

Quoted from Hazoff:

If I can honestly rate any of those games better than IJ4, then I am being honest. All of those games are better than IJ4. I would rather have a South Park, Harley or Striker Extreme than that pin, honest.
    At any rate, you need to rate games based on their era. Comparing an SS or A# vs a DMD is not fair. Comparing a 69 Mustang to a 2009 Taurus would be absurd.

#57 9 years ago

Harlem Globetrotters should be ranked number one. Until it is, the rankings are broken.

#58 9 years ago

How about a separate 2014 list or trending now list.

To reset the top 100 and make people vote again is pretty dumb

I did loke the bang for the buck, but think that would be hard. It would be pretty cool to have a trending now list

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Agree

All of those games are better than IJ4, my opinion.
    At any rate, you need to rate games based on their era. Comparing an SS or A# vs a DMD is not fair. Comparing a 69 Mustang to a 2009 Taurus would be absurd.

Exactly, I guess its pretty easy to judge the best of lets say Stern pins simply by eliminating all the others in the standings, AC/DC #1 LOTR #2 and STLE #3 which is starting to reflect my idea of pinball greatness more accurately. Anyway big thing to remember is to get out there and try a pin for yourself. No other way to be sure.

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Comparing an SS or A# vs a DMD is not fair.

Disagree.

Comparing a 1981 pin vs a 2014 pin is completely valid.

SealClubber, Please tell me which of these values you think we cannot fairly compare between, say...

Centaur vs. STLE:

(pf layout) layout, rules, toys, game play
    (playfield) playfield, backglass, cabinet, animations (optional)
    (sounds) sounds and speech, music, quality, variation
    (other) game lighting, lastability, theming, fun

Centaur has no music, animations, and the quality of sound is based on the era.

I'd compare 13 of 16 elements. Isn't that enough to make a solid comparison between the two pins?

Sealclubber, how do you see it as not fair?

-mof

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

I think that was his point actually wasn't it? Obviously a 69 Stang is better than a 09 taurus.

Quoted from SealClubber:

If I can honestly rate any of those games better than IJ4, then I am being honest. All of those games are better than IJ4. I would rather have a South Park, Harley or Striker Extreme than that pin, honest.

I can think of exactly 4 pins worse than IJ4. South Park, SG, Avatar, & ....well maybe only 3. Oh Viper Night Drivin' maybe

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think that was his point actually wasn't it? Obviously a 69 Stang is better than a 09 taurus.

LOL !
    -mof

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Me and a fellow pinsider were talking and we agree the pinside Top 100 should be reset every year.

Based on the numbers of thumbs down vs thumbs up, I would say that pretty much only the two of you agree that this is a good idea.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I agree 100%, I noticed that STLE has dropped out of the top 10 and that means MB, AF, AFM, MM and TZ are better pinball machines than STLE??? No way,

#65 9 years ago

"Top 100", "Top 40" .....whatever criteria you use is going to cause disagreement ......

I sure don't buy / download music based upon the "Top 40", but rather my personal taste.

Top 100 beers, cities, etc. all subjective

It seems some of the older titles do deserve to stay high in the rankings, as they've proved the test of time, something a new machine simply cannot do...

Maybe, sub lists that are more specific to era, units produced, most toys, etc. would be cool...but in the end, it's just a poll......play and buy ( listen, drink, live) what appeals to you....

Leave the poll alone...makes for good ( sometimes) debate......

#66 9 years ago

Seconded. I own STLE and have owned TZ and TAF and played the rest extensively. Yes they are all better than STLE and I love my STLE too...truth

#67 9 years ago

The top 100, and even more so the top 10, is not worth any kind of worry over. Pinball is an art form. Can you pick the 10 best songs, or the 10 best movies, or the 10 best paintings, or the 10 best dancers, and expect them to match everyone else in the world? Of course not. You have yours, and everyone else has theirs. Sometimes they overlap, sometimes not. No big deal.

The list merely shows where the overlap of opinion is greatest. It should never tell you what you think, or offend you.

#68 9 years ago

Yeah. Bad Idea.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from Voltherd:

The top 100, and even more so the top 10, is not worth any kind of worry over. Pinball is an art form. Can you pick the 10 best songs, or the 10 best movies, or the 10 best paintings, or the 10 best dancers, and expect them to match everyone else in the world? Of course not. You have yours, and everyone else has theirs. Sometimes they overlap, sometimes not. No big deal.
    The list merely shows where the overlap of opinion is greatest. It should never tell you what you think, or offend you.

Just what I said ( but you said it better than I)....

#70 9 years ago

I think any new fun toy is going to get played while the old toys sit neglected. Doesn't mean the new toy is better than the old toys. It takes time to determine where in the pantheon a machine will reside, so it seems silly to reset the ratings.

#71 9 years ago

With all the fuss over this, you'd think it involved money or something

#72 9 years ago

Agreed. I don't pay attention to these "lists" anyway. I play/buy the games *I* like.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

Agreed. I don't pay attention to these "lists" anyway. I play/buy the games *I* like.

Well by you owning a SW:e1 that's obvious
    HEY-O!
    Jokes! Fun! Remember when pinball wasn't aboot pissing and moaning aboot lists? (The answer was pre-Pinside...which is sad)

#74 9 years ago

Wow I'm done with the subject post. Are yall?
    Guess I opened up a can of worms. Let it go rgp.

More thumbs down please. I'm collecting them like baseball cards.

ripken.jpgripken.jpg
    #75 9 years ago

Me too

#76 9 years ago

ripken.jpg 32 KB

LOL Craig, is that Ripken card for real? I'm going to have to go check my baseball card collection for this one. That's hilarious!

#77 9 years ago

91 or 92 Fleer if I remember correctly...

Post edited by 2FlippedOut41Mo: typo

#78 9 years ago

a) why not just erase the list every month? then you could have flavor of the month?

b) start your own list, with you and your buddy. rate the game the way you like them. point people to your list.

#79 9 years ago

Thumbs up on the f*** face baseball card!

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I do think it would be cool to be able to click on yearly tabs to see when things were ranked what, but it is such a dynamic system that I don't have any idea how practical it would be for Robin to do that.

I agree! The data is there, it's just a matter of presenting it. Have you looked at the bottom of the ratings pages for each pin to find the historical graphs of their rating and ranking? Pretty interesting viewing and but it is only for one game at a time.

#81 9 years ago

Just another pinball ratings list I look at from time to time for another perspective .

http://www.ipdb.org/lists.cgi?puid=32200&browser=1398808824&list=top300

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

With all the fuss over this, you'd think it involved money or something

Yup. Between the collectors who care a lot about the value of their games, the partisans of particular brands/eras/games, the highly subjective nature of enjoyment, and a wide spectrum of ages and involvement in the hobby makes for a lot of angles to argue about when it comes to the Top 100 — a high visible list that is generated by our own feedback and which provides a source of validation of ownership for many.

You can say 'don't take it seriously' but when it does have a real impact on game value it's hard not to. And value doesn't just impact price, it psychologically impacts your enjoyment. It's called cognitive dissonance. It's the same reason why there is a measurable honeymoon period for new games (hence the ratings soaring to begin with then falling back to earth later — just look at any Stern from the last few years).

#83 9 years ago

ripken.jpg 32 KB

Awe come on man don't give up. One more and you'll have 40!

#84 9 years ago

This party is going to be EPIC!

#85 9 years ago

Yep that card is real. Billy Ripken rookie card 1989 Fleer. What a way to make yourself famous in baseball at the start of your career.

#86 9 years ago

Is it safe yet?
    Marathon-Man-Olivier_Is It SAFE.jpgMarathon-Man-Olivier_Is It SAFE.jpg

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from 2FlippedOut41Mo:

LOL Craig, is that Ripken card for real? I'm going to have to go check my baseball card collection for this one. That's hilarious!

Absolutely real. Apparently that was Billy's nickname in the clubhouse, haha. The profanity was discovered fairly early on, so most Billy Ripken cards fleer produced in that set had the end of the bat covered with a black box or the words airbrushed off or otherwise covered up, but the early ones appeared as in that image!

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I agree 100%, I noticed that STLE has dropped out of the top 10 and that means MB, AF, AFM, MM and TZ are better pinball machines than STLE??? No way, I've owned the top B/W and yeah they are good but Ironman for me is better than any of those. I love that the newer pins from Stern and the few other manufacturers like JJP and SkitB even though just starting seem to be surpassing the games from 20 years ago that's the way it should be. I played a WW the other day and it just feels dated, like trying to play an old console game on the playstation with the PS3 or PS4 right beside it. I'm all for nostalgia and appreciation for where things came from but at some point it has to evolve into something greater and I think it has, I don't care what's in the top ten really but I agree that it's time to start over again.

Is a 2014 Honda Civic ever gonna be a classic like a '57 Chevy Bel Aire? Ummm....no. Classics are classic for a reason--well designed, built to stand the test of time, aging beautifully, still desirable.

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Is a 2014 Honda Civic ever gonna be a classic like a '57 Chevy Bel Aire? Ummm....no. Classics are classic for a reason--well designed, built to stand the test of time, aging beautifully, still desirable.

That comparison sucks, sorry but STLE I take it is the 2014 Honda Civic? I would say more like a 2014 corvette and what's the 57 Chevy TAF? Well I'll take the corvette and you keep the Chevy. That's also a 50 year gap apposed to a 20 year not to mention the STLE body blows TAF out of the water. Nice try. I'm done.

#90 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Diasgree.
    SealClubber, Please tell me which of these values you think we cannot fairly compare between, say...
    Centaur vs. STLE:
    (pf layout) layout, rules, toys, game play
    (playfield) playfield, backglass, cabinet, animations (optional)
    (sounds) sounds and speech, music, quality, variation
    (other) game lighting, lastability, theming, fun
    Centaur has no music, animations, and the quality of sound is based on the era.
    I'd compare 13 of 16 elements. Isn't that enough to make a solid comparison between the two pins?
    -mof

What sealclubber is saying IMO is that you cannot compare everything like you said. Sound quality should not be compared, knocking an old machine for not having stereo when a new machine does is bad. Knocking a new machine for not having stereo since machines have or have had it is valid. I know I really hate the digital sound of my system 11 machines, but that was the standard of the time so I cannot detract for that. As some have suggested, it actually works for some machines, Cyclone works that way, my Police Force gets to me after a while.

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

My Dad and I are almost finished putting a restored/tuned engine in his 69 Camaro. I'll put that beast up against a new Camaro all day long...and win.

#92 9 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

What sealclubber is saying IMO is that you cannot compare everything like you said. Sound quality should not be compared, knocking an old machine for not having stereo when a new machine does is bad. Knocking a new machine for not having stereo since machines have or have had it is valid. I know I really hate the digital sound of my system 11 machines, but that was the standard of the time so I cannot detract for that. As some have suggested, it actually works for some machines, Cyclone works that way, my Police Force gets to me after a while.

Pardon?
    Surely your point isn't, "You can't compare two pinball machines... if one doesn't have stereo."
    -mof

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

It's called cognitive dissonance.

That explains why people will defend one's beliefs in a pinball title. It makes them uncomfortable if they are wrong.

#94 9 years ago

The unofficial record, for most thumbs down, is 147.

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

That comparison sucks, sorry but STLE I take it is the 2014 Honda Civic? I would say more like...

Yes YOU would. Congrats!

Quoted from Hougie:

My Dad and I are almost finished putting a restored/tuned engine in his 69 Camaro. I'll put that beast up against a new Camaro all day long...and win.

Yes but can it beat an 09 Taurus?

Be honest!

#97 9 years ago

Yes YOU would. Congrats!

Yes but can it beat an 09 Taurus?
    Be honest!

Ok. You got me. A Taurus is way more awesome.

#98 9 years ago

Come on people i need more thumbs down. I know i can beat that 147.

Let me give this thread a thumbs down boost by taking a swing at another hornets nest.

WOZ sucks!

Please post your thumbs down on my initial post. haHa.

#99 9 years ago

http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/various

surely I'm not the only one to ever look at this?

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from trudert9:

http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/various
    surely I'm not the only one to ever look at this?

Never seen it myself.

Star Jet #1 EM...is that a F*&^ing joke? Reset this nonsense!

There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robinmoderators-please-reset-the-top-100/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.