(Topic ID: 28254)

Robin ,, Thread - Self Moderation option !!

By BLACK_ROSE

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Self Moderation !! How do you Feel about it !!”

• I think this Is a Perfect Idea !! 6 votes
      9%
    • I don't like it !! 44 votes
      64%
    • I Enjoy watching Thread's being Destroyed 11 votes
      16%
    • B_R is The King , but Screw him , Yr Idea SUCK's !!!! 8 votes
      12%

(69 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th_DCA.jpg
    th_3518879703.jpg
    WH20-.jpg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

To Robin and my fellow Pinside member's ,, We All have seen in the Past few week's Good Thread's being Destroyed by member's that have Noth-n Better to do than to Bash the Topic and get it Off Track .. I maybe be Guilty myself , An Idea that came to my mind is ,, Say I started a Thread about Led's , How they Save yr plastic's from the heat , Less Energy Used etc... and here come's say John , He Post's about how Blinding they are , and he Hates mods etc .. The Topic is Starting to get Heated up and turned around and Words and Names are being called out .

Ok , The Self Moderation option is Only for the OP who Started the Thread to decide is he want's to Ban that member from that Thread. His Post will be GONE and he Will Not be able to Post on that Thread again.. And make it where No 1 will know he's Gone except for the OP..
    Personally , I think this Option Will work Great .. Give it some thought , and I will Gladly Donate
    $ 50.00 to Pinside In my behalf .. The Moderators are do-n a fine Job , but a Lil- Self Moderation can help out Alot More .. Thanxx ,, B_R

#2 11 years ago

B_R,

It's a good idea, in theory. I can see this getting out of hand fast. As you know, there are some Pinsider's who just can't play nice together. We'll use you and I as examples to explain my point.

You and I don't like each other. You make a post about LED's, and I post to your thread, stating that I like them. You, not liking me, block me from posting, even if I have nice things to say. No one would know, except you and I, which would just make our mutual hatred grow. Just my 2 cents.

I do like the idea, I just see some people abusing the power, not letting certain individuals post to their threads.

ThePostmaster

I voted I don't like it, because of the possible abuse of the feature

Post edited by ThePostmaster : explaining poll vote

#3 11 years ago

Are you saying the OP can start a topic and delete any contrary view that they don't like?

I don't know about that. (Ironically, you could delete this and only people that agree will have their post shown and it will look like everybody likes it.)

I do see your point about things going off topic and ruining posts, but I don't know if this would be a good answer.

#4 11 years ago

Maybe give the OP the option to close the thread. I like this option better.

#5 11 years ago

I like the option to close thread/ lock it for a cool down period.

#6 11 years ago

I see what Yr say-n Post M-- Take the Tron Pro , Brag-n Thread 4- example ,, That Thread is Going Smooth .. That Thread is Dedicated to Those that have a Tron or have 1 coming or Just Love the Pin and Wish they had 1 .. Ok, he comes John again Running his mouth , he has No interest in the Pin or the Thread . He just wants to get an Up-roar going .. I've been at Pinside long enough to know who's Gonna Start w/ the finger war .. All of the Sudden John is Gone and the Thread is Smooth again ..

Lets get the Bad Apples OFF the Threads . If I'm Ban'd from a Topic after i Post , I'll see who the OP is and If he's someone that i've had a beef w/ before , I Will understand !!
    You Can't Hurt my feelings .

I think it's Worth Try-n !!!!!!!!!

#7 11 years ago

No Close or Lock-n the Thread ,, That's Not gonna help .. Get the bad apple off................

#8 11 years ago

I voted B_R is king. i like the idea.

#9 11 years ago

How bout the OP can send a signal to the offenders computer that shocks him when he touches the keypad, that person can still be a jag but will have to pay for it

#10 11 years ago

I would disagree with this. But I could see an option for the thread originator to be able to close his thread. But maybe even that is a bit delayed say 24 hours.

#11 11 years ago

How would only the OP know he is gone?

Self moderation should happen right before someone hits send IMO.
    Going OT is part of an organic discussion, if an OP just wants to stand on a soapbox they should start a blog. If the offense is that someone derails a topic by becoming obusive to others for having a varying opinion the mods should use their ability to temporarily ban members until the message is clearly recieved by members that the abuse will not be tolerated.

Robin seems to be very proactive in giving his mods the power to reign in the "troublemakers". The issue will be when and if they are willing to use it and what criteria they use in deeming something offensive.

I don't believe in censorship but I also don't feel that abusive behavior to other members of Pinside should go unpunished.

#12 11 years ago

We Don't need to Close or Delete Threads unless the Moderators or Robin does ,, This Option is for US . The Ignore Feature I have used 1 tyme , but if I'm on a Thread and i see where the person Posted and it say's Ignore Used , Hell I'm gonna open it and see what he said .. With my Plan , The Person is Gone from the Thread and NO 1 will have to endure his or her Trouble ...

#13 11 years ago

I honestly like this idea.

BR, I like you (but not in that sort of way). I've liked hearing all the great stories you post. When I posted on the SM thread you made, I was stating my HONEST opinion. I should have never mentioned anything about SM fanboys going off. If I had offended you on that thread, I am truly sorry.

kwiKimart

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from ThePostmaster:

B_R,
    It's a good idea, in theory. I can see this getting out of hand fast. As you know, there are some Pinsider's who just can't play nice together. We'll use you and I as examples to explain my point.
    You and I don't like each other. You make a post about LED's, and I post to your thread, stating that I like them. You, not liking me, block me from posting, even if I have nice things to say. No one would know, except you and I, which would just make our mutual hatred grow. Just my 2 cents.
    I do like the idea, I just see some people abusing the power, not letting certain individuals post to their threads.
    ThePostmaster
    I voted I don't like it, because of the possible abuse of the feature
    Post edited by ThePostmaster : explaining poll vote

I feel exactly the same except for I did not vote.

I like the idea but might make problems escalate behind the scenes.

Have a great night all.

#15 11 years ago

Thanxx Kwiki ,, and I do apologize in Some sort of way to you .. SM is a Kick Azz Pin and It took me a Few Yrs to Finally get 1 . Yr comment did Disturbe me some what , so I Tried to Nail ya to tha wall
    Yr Cool w/ me ...

and that wasn't my SM thread ... A member was Question-n on whether he should buy it or not

It's All Cool bro !! and Yr Not the Reason I Started this Thread ...

#16 11 years ago

way to go kwiki... very sincere apology. both you and B_R have got to be the most likable guys on pinside.

oops, getting off topic

#17 11 years ago

But who is to stop the OP from expelling me just because I post that AC/DC is not the greatest band in the world?

Also, where is the 'Pinside does not need moderators' option ???
    :p

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Also, where is the 'Pinside does not need moderators' option ???
    :p

Pinside does not seem like it needs them because they are there. If we were gone it would get crazy fast.

Not sure if it is possible to allow OP moderation, interesting idea. I do think that there are a few that would abuse it (probably while drunk posting).

#19 11 years ago

LOL

BR can sure dish it out, but he can't take it. laughable

/destroys thread

btw. you're old Wh20 was an LED travesty

#20 11 years ago

I was going to make a funny.. But the last post before me ruined it, oh well...

What's with pissing on people all the time here?

#21 11 years ago

LOL
    /destroys thread

F U Rawleigh D ,,, and Quit Pick-n on my WH20... Oh I can take some BS , but some AH's are Push-n the Limit's Here ... In 2010 Led's were getting Very Popular , I had 10 Pinhead's wanting to buy my it .. I agree I Probably over did it , but it Sure was Prutty to lOOk at .. Played Good 2

WH20-.jpgWH20-.jpg

#22 11 years ago

your idea sucks! sorry man

you are talking about shutting down someone that writes something that you don't like or don't agree. That is not a discussion, it is dictatorship!
    i can see the abuse on that option: "oh you don't like my leds, huh? you are out of here!!"

by the way, your wh20 is amazing!

#23 11 years ago

LOL
    /destroys thread

Last time I saw a post like this it had a hook in it.

th_3518879703.jpgth_3518879703.jpg

#24 11 years ago

I think discussion is healthy but if you know of a few people that like to target you maybe a option of ignore that persons posts when you start a thread so if they try to post in a thread it is rejected. They may eventually give up and not post on certain people's threads - still lets the discussion flow but may upset some people.

In the end treat people how you like to be treated when writing something that could be a little personal in someone else's thread.

#25 11 years ago

I kinda like swinks idea. Or what if anyone that you ignored there posts would automatically be ignored in your threads as well?

I do not have anyone on ignore. I never will either as stated above you need all opinion to make this a conversation.

For the record I think your WH20 was prutty BR

#26 11 years ago

Last night I used "ignore" on a member for the first time ever. It gave me the option to customize what I view without imposing that on others.

I think the scenario being discussed would cause all to be controled by one, and that would not be productive. Leave the macro management to the moderators and exercise your options on the micro level.

I think this may be more about vindication than monitoring.

What could make sense is a standard delay of maybe two minutes before a sent post appears allowing the author to rescind or alter the post. It seems that clarity of thought often is produced by hitting send, but then it is too late. At least this has been my experience at times. This would provide additional self moderation.

Kind of a waiting room to allow for reconsideration and common sense for the more emotional and passionate.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

Self moderation should happen right before someone hits send IMO

BRAVO Taylor! Best sentence written in this thread. Except

Dan

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

F U Rawleigh D ,,, and Quit Pick-n on my WH20... Oh I can take some BS , but some AH's are Push-n the Limit's Here ... In 2010 Led's were getting Very Popular , I had 10 Pinhead's wanting to buy my it .. I agree I Probably over did it , but it Sure was Prutty to lOOk at .. Played Good 2
    » YouTube video

thanks for the "F U". not necessary.

yeah, it played great. but the mountains looked like a giant blob of red and the rest was a giant blob of blue.
    You could almost not even tell what game it was.. couldn't tell what the inserts said, what the art looked liked.. this isn't just from the pics, I actually played it in person.

This is all just one pinheads opinion, that lives 3 hours from you. Don't get so defensive about it!.

I mean look at my DW avvy pic.. I put cointakers in the inserts, and it took a good picture, but I'm not really satisfied with it, just too lazy to change the bulbs. In person it can be too much.

That w2ho was 2 years ago! Your LED skills have really improved since then, while mine are pretty much nonexistent.

Lighten up, let the good times roll, smoke em if you got em, And i'll hopefully see you at a Lost ark tourney again someday.

cheers

#28 11 years ago

This is a HORRIBLE idea. With this idea, a shitty seller can post an ad for sale, then remove all the warnings.

Also, this isn't our board. Next time, when someone says something you don't like, why don't you try having some respect for other people's opinions instead of telling them to "f-off"

Your idea is bad because its not needed, the solution to people saying things you don't want to hear is not to delete posts, and if you don't want certain people posting you can open your own message board.

#29 11 years ago

F U's are needed to let the texting Alpha-males know their place. Confrontations are inevitable on the subject of expensive, large items that require other expensive things to run and collect (I E a house, heat, and electricity). Too many successful folks beating their chests and trying to push their views onto others...that's what we Alphas do.

I appreciate the moderators and the only threads I see being shut down are because of a pissing match between 2 dudes over whatever. Warnings are issued, ignored, then the thread is closed. Harder punishment on the repeat offenders instead of time outs.

I am torn between liking this idea and dreading it.

I vote we chime in on one of these two Dude textuments and tell them to stfu.
    Enough people chime in, they will relent.

#30 11 years ago

This system while a good idea in THEORY, probably turns out to be a nightmare in practice. You'd need some kind of system to prevent it from being abused, and even then, you're probably talking about further oversight by the mod team, which negates the point in the first place. =\

#31 11 years ago

Honestly, I think we need to accept that this is the internet. There is going to be some drama. I guess I'd just try to take it with a grain of salt. Although, I'd also be in favor of political and religious discussion. Sure we all enjoy pinball, but sometimes it's fun to discuss and debate other things. I guess people who resort to name calling and bashing don't gain much respect in my view anyway. It's not a good way of getting your point across.

What I might suggest is an ignore option. If you don't want to see posts from a particular user you can opt out and ignore them. They will still be posted in the thread and everyone else will be able to see them, but because you have that user ignored you wont.

#32 11 years ago

There is no way BR meant FU as "for unlawful carnal knowledge."

I think he was trying to be diplomatic and coin a new abbreviation for "Fortunately or Unfortunately."

Quoted from lpeters82:

Honestly, I think we need to accept that this is the internet. There is going to be some drama. I guess I'd just try to take it with a grain of salt. Although, I'd also be in favor of political and religious discussion. Sure we all enjoy pinball, but sometimes it's fun to discuss and debate other things. I guess people who resort to name calling and bashing don't gain much respect in my view anyway. It's not a good way of getting your point across.
    What I might suggest is an ignore option. If you don't want to see posts from a particular user you can opt out and ignore them. They will still be posted in the thread and everyone else will be able to see them, but because you have that user ignored you wont.

Great Post! In total agreement on all points. Especially open discussion on non-pinball topics. Used the ignore option for the first time yesterday. It was a much better choice for me than tearing into what I didn't appreciation and found offensive.

Dan

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

» YouTube video

I don't mind the LED's on that WH20. I think it looks cool.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Last time I saw a post like this it had a hook in it.

#35 11 years ago

This forum would be worse if all the posts were controlled so you only see what you want to be shown. Dissenting views can be just as interesting or informative.

I never used the ignore feature, but why would you not want to know all comments? Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is power. Wouldn't you just be in the dark only reading what you want to hear?

It sounds like it's a lack of faith in the moderators. Just ignore the insults, and everybody can figure out who is out of line.

It's a matter of maturity. Responding with FU is not conducive to good communication. Ignore the BS. Trust the moderators.

It's possible my post would be censored because I don't agree that the idea is good. But it isn't anything personal.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I never used the ignore feature, but why would you not want to know all comments? Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is power.

True. However, I, when appropriate for me, would rather blissfully not know about the next comment from the ignorant. Not all who have access earn equal attention, especially those who crave it negatively. But please indulge yourself in whatever suits your taste and need. No problem here.

Ignore for me is self moderation. If I know that a comment or turn is going to draw my claws and fangs out in the truest sense, I would rather ignore than allow myself to take that turn.

Dan

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I would disagree with this. But I could see an option for the thread originator to be able to close his thread. But maybe even that is a bit delayed say 24 hours.

I would love that especially for the for sale threads. No need to revive old ones

#38 11 years ago

Irony.

#40 11 years ago

The best thing to do is ignore the troll. Don't feed him. If some knucklehead wants to hijack the thread, he wants nothing more than for everyone to get heated up. Ignore bulls**t posts, respond to the good ones, and play pinball.

#41 11 years ago

The best thing to do is ignore the troll. Don't feed him. If some knucklehead wants to hijack the thread, he wants nothing more than for everyone to get heated up. Ignore bulls**t posts, respond to the good ones, and play pinball.

Nothing wrong with hijacking a troll post but it should only be done by professionals.
    Once the troll has been properly dispatched then and only then will the canoe be sent it for a pick up.

th_DCA.jpgth_DCA.jpg

#42 11 years ago

I understand what Black Rose is saying
    You have a good topic going and it turns sour with just a few bone heads.
    However I've also seen some real cool members put a wrecked thread (or about to get wrecked)
    back on track and to those guys/gals are the core of the site .

Everyone is watching give the good comments the thumbs up and with the saboteurs the thumbs down and eventually things will work themselves out I believe

#43 11 years ago

I have been here for a little while now, been in the back ground, don't post a lot, and have learned a lot since joining. I have read the threads that get OT and think a hybrid of B R's idea would be nice. What about a general moderator account that you could PM and have a /moderator objectively assess if the posts are going to name calling and over the line. That way the OP is not the one deciding to ban a poster from the topic. It is sad that the threads need babysitters though.

#44 11 years ago

Alright! Another Wi guy! Welcome dude!

#45 11 years ago

I'm sorry, I don't like this idea very much. Mostly for the same reasons already described above. I do appreciate the feature suggestion, big thanks for coming up with ideas that could improve the site. I just don't think this will solve anything, possibly only make matters worse. Sorry!

#46 11 years ago

Yep, robin is dead on, great suggestion though BR....if only people would stop being jerkoffs...

#47 11 years ago

If people stopped taking any disagreement with their point of view or tastes so personally then this wouldn't be needed. People don't all like different things, this is life.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

People don't all like different things, this is life.

Best thing said so far in this thread.

#49 11 years ago

I could see this turning Pinside into something like Stern's forum.

#50 11 years ago

Was Worth a Try ,,,,,, Later ... B_R

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robin-thread-self-moderation-option/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.