(Topic ID: 48033)

Robin, OP ability to delete thier posted thread?

By underlord

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bx9Pp1I.gif
    #1 11 years ago

Seen a couple of threads lately where the OP's stated they. Wanted the threads deleted, yet folks keep it going.

It's good to keep threads alive so that posters may think twice before posting confrontational material, but it doesn't look like that may be the case.

Actually this worked ok on RGP, but old posts could still be seen on mirrored websites, so not sure if that applies here.

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#2 10 years ago

I only delete a thread if it is a double (or triple, etc...) post. As far as I know, the other mods do the same. Ill mannered posts are closed and kept for posterity.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I only delete a thread if it is a double (or triple, etc...) post. As far as I know, the other mods do the same. Ill mannered posts are closed and kept for posterity.

Thank heavens! Please delete my second WOZ $5.00. My face is beet red!

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the update Sealclubber( ha! Great handle!)
    I was just wondering if the original poster can ever delete his own started thread. Guess you answered that. Thanks again.

#5 10 years ago

Big difference between locking a thread and deleting one.

#6 10 years ago

Yes, that was also my suggestion...that the OP can lock his thread. Would save a lot of BS and make it easier on the Mods...

#7 10 years ago

Yeah we really like to keep the douchery evidence around

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Yeah we really like to keep the douchery evidence around

Been on boards where you can delete your own thread...in the long term & historical side it's not a good plan. Plus, there are so many Karma whores here now that's a uneasy connection to have. You'd see a lot of crying then.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Been on boards where you can delete your own thread...in the long term & historical side it's not a good plan. Plus, there are so many Karma whores here now that's a uneasy connection to have. You'd see a lot of crying then.

The Karma thing is hilarious. 15 points for making an idiotic post but if someone actually likes it you only get one. Quality over quantity would help Pinside IMO.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Quality over quantity would help Pinside IMO

Karma does not indicate contribution. 600 posts in a week is diarhea of the mouth, brain, every part. 300 a week and you are a crazy pin hoarder cats are next for you.

#11 10 years ago

Yea I think this is a bad idea. I think it would be ok as long as there are no responses. But once you have a response, the thread is not longer yours.

It would be nice if the system would always allow edits to posts I make. For example, I wrote a guide on how to install a shaker motor into a lotr a few months ago. However, the system no longer allows me to edit this post, which is a shame because I would have added the sound glitch.

I don't have a problem for some karma for posting. Maybe 5 points. But thumbs up should be 15 or significantly more than the karma earned for posting.

#12 10 years ago

How about deleting threads with bad spelling! (Thier) really?

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

The Karma thing is hilarious. 15 points for making an idiotic post but if someone actually likes it you only get one. Quality over quantity would help Pinside IMO.

Agreed. Just wait till _member___ gets to 100,000 Karma and people start erasing their threads he's posted in...gunna be an internet meltdown; It's almost worth it. But then people will throw fits for getting banned and delete all their own threads...too many issues with it.

#14 10 years ago

12 hour long rage quits. That's what this hobby needs for entertainment.

#15 10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion! We're always careful with deleting threads, because as soon as others posted in your thread it's not only your content you're deleting. So normally we don't do this unless its a duplicate thread.

I could imagine allowing people to delete their own thread when it has no replies yet.

I could also imagine the ability to lock a thread started by you.

I will see if I can include these options in the next site update.

Karma Points are being discussed in another topic, you may want to voice your thoughts on the subject there: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-growing-pains-moderation-site-bans-karma-points-etcetera

#16 10 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I just saw a thread recently started and the OP asked to have it shut down, but on the other hand the OP kept posting. So I was just curious was all.

#17 10 years ago

NO to post deletion. EVER!

It is a slippery slope and I have seen other forums go down hill quickly after that trigger.

Locking is also tricky IMHO. Once a conversation is started I think the entire forum owns that conversation and it should only be locked when a level headed mod deems it necessary.

#18 10 years ago

you mean in case you misspell a word in the headline? hehe

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I like this one!

#20 10 years ago

I can think of one thread that I would like to delete, but I'm not the OP.

Said thread feels something like this now...

bx9Pp1I.gifbx9Pp1I.gif

#21 10 years ago

Definitely no to self-thread deletion. The only exception I could see is a thread with no replies that is fairly new (ie. within the first 15 minutes of creation).

I also think no to self-locking. This could be abused in many situations (ie. getting in "the last word"), and stifle legitimate conversations in others - prompting miffed respondants into creating their own threads to continue a discussion that had no good reason being closed by someone who isn't a moderator, and thus has no air of authority to dictate what can and can't be talked about.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sunfox:

Definitely no to self-thread deletion. The only exception I could see is a thread with no replies that is fairly new (ie. within the first 15 minutes of creation).
    I also think no to self-locking. This could be abused in many situations (ie. getting in "the last word"), and stifle legitimate conversations in others - prompting miffed respondants into creating their own threads to continue a discussion that had no good reason being closed by someone who isn't a moderator, and thus has no air of authority to dictate what can and can't be talked about.

My idea was an optional temporary lock of like 24-48 hours for someone posting something in the marketplace sub-forum. Its optional, its temporary... what could be the problem here? Mods can still moderate these of course so nothing abusive. Not sure why this would not be a good idea to prevent some of the 'crash and burn' FS/FT threads that we've seen lately...

#23 10 years ago

When I was writing my post I was actually thinking of the marketplace as a valid place for locks, but the topic at hand seemed to be a more general application of locks to prevent some of these runaway conversations that go beyond what the OP intended.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sunfox:

When I was writing my post I was actually thinking of the marketplace as a valid place for locks, but the topic at hand seemed to be a more general application of locks to prevent some of these runaway conversations that go beyond what the OP intended.

Yep, I can certainly understand why locks might be a problem just anywhere and everywhere.

#25 10 years ago

Teekee > So you want all new topics in the market subforum to be locked from anyone posting in them for 48 hours?

The problem is that then a retailer can come here and offer up a game for way to high but then control/limit the conversation. They may get some noob to bite out of ignorance.

I am guessing you already realize this.

A prime example would be the recent TZ FS thread, where some other pinsiders actually had some very important information to show that the game was not being advertised accurately. If those people were not allowed to comment for 48 hours then some nnob may have been taken advantage of. That would be bad.

Most of us are here to help each other out rather than cheerlead on the selling of each game for a higher price than it previously has. Then again, most of us are not here as a business or flipper and have genuine concern for noobs as much as the vets.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Teekee > So you want all new topics in the market subforum to be locked from anyone posting in them for 48 hours?
    The problem is that then a retailer can come here and offer up a game for way to high but then control/limit the conversation. They may get some noob to bite out of ignorance.
    I am guessing you already realize this.
    A prime example would be the recent TZ FS thread, where some other pinsiders actually had some very important information to show that the game was not being advertised accurately. If those people were not allowed to comment for 48 hours then some nnob may have been taken advantage of. That would be bad.
    Most of us are here to help each other out rather than cheerlead on the selling of each game for a higher price than it previously has. Then again, most of us are not here as a business or flipper and have genuine concern for noobs as much as the vets.

Good points but I feel a buyer has to take some responsibility and do his homework. He can't rely on what others say here all the time. Some of it is wrong or bad information. Some have no clue what a HEP pin is worth compared to a routed title. I think most sellers/traders here are good and honest and won't 'screw' anyone purposely. If they do they will only get away with it once. It can also work the other way. A buyer thinking about making the purchase but after 4-5 guys have jumped in and crashed the post with 'price too high' or other off topic posts is a problem as well.

Your worried about the cheerleading but there is also the other side... the sabotaging and that happens way too often as well. The FS/FT threads have been the worst here and have gotten the most personal.

#27 10 years ago

We already have the MARKET where people are not allowed to comment at all. If someone posts in the actual market subforum then comments should be expected. I do not think we need another classified portion of the site.

Maybe an alternative is to just get rid of the market subforum all together? Then it removes the opportunity for any commenting at all in someones FS post.

Then if the community decides they want to discuss an ad they find in the MARKET, or Mr. Pinball, or Clist then anyone should feel free to start up a thread and discuss. Granted that would put even more responsibility on potential buyers to educate themselves. It would also mean fewer threads overall on the main forum page which seems to be a main problem with the constant back/forth of many FS threads >> they stay at the top while all the good stuff falls into oblivion.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Thanks for the suggestion! We're always careful with deleting threads, because as soon as others posted in your thread it's not only your content you're deleting. So normally we don't do this unless its a duplicate thread.
    I could imagine allowing people to delete their own thread when it has no replies yet.
    Karma Points are being discussed in another topic, you may want to voice your thoughts on the subject there: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-growing-pains-moderation-site-bans-karma-points-etcetera

I read the stuff about "karma" points. Makes much more sense to me than the current system. I personally don't think it currently reflects anything uselful. Reflecting the quality of post vs quantity is the way to go IMO.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

We already have the MARKET where people are not allowed to comment at all. If someone posts in the actual market subforum then comments should be expected. I do not think we need another classified portion of the site.

That is fine, this was just an idea that I feel would help take care of a lot of the garbage and personal bickering here. Plus I didn't really see the harm in a temporary and optional lock in the marketplace sub.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Maybe an alternative is to just get rid of the market subforum all together? Then it removes the opportunity for any commenting at all in someones FS post.

That's another idea... I don't particular like it but its an idea.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I read the stuff about "karma" points. Makes much more sense to me than the current system. I personally don't think it currently reflects anything uselful. Reflecting the quality of post vs quantity is the way to go IMO.

+1

(this is exactly why karma for merely posting anything is no good)

It's better for me to vote thumbs up and give TaylorVA karma points for his post, and also avoid a dumb +1 post.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Unfortunately, there's too much other info in that thread to find the karma section and participate

But the ability to edit my post expiring seems like some odd bug, doesn't it?

#32 10 years ago

Thanks for the great insights everone. You're right, being able to lock your own threads is not a good idea. I do think I should add an ability to delete your own threads if there's no posts in them yet and only if they're younger than 15 minutes. Good idea.

Quoted from markmon:

Unfortunately, there's too much other info in that thread to find the karma section and participate
    But the ability to edit my post expiring seems like some odd bug, doesn't it?

Sorry I didn't respond to that issue. Being able to edit your own posts is a tricky one. For most it's a good thing to always be able to edit a post (as in forever), but it's also something that could be abused in a discussion. That's why I put a time limit on it. I could lift this time limit for hi ranking members?

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Thanks for the great insights everone. You're right, being able to lock your own threads is not a good idea. I do think I should add an ability to delete your own threads if there's no posts in them yet and only if they're younger than 15 minutes. Good idea.

"SO SAYETH THE LORD!"

Thanks for always responding Robin, You and your mod squad are doin' great! Keep rockin'!

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Being able to edit your own posts is a tricky one. For most it's a good thing to always be able to edit a post (as in forever), but it's also something that could be abused in a discussion. That's why I put a time limit on it. I could lift this time limit for hi ranking members?

Perhaps that's a good solution. I would like to properly maintain both my guide threads - the lotr shaker and the acdc subwoofer amp thread. But as it stands I can't so the data in the post is not as good as it can be. Someone had to read several pages of posts to get it all. That's definitely not good for the site

#35 10 years ago

Any proverbial foot in mouth should stand for the record:

Evidence for all to assess the mindset of who is posting; who you potentially be dealing with in the future on a transaction.

History should not be white-washed for this reason.

#36 10 years ago

But if a rage quitter wants to go edit all his posts he could basically destroy the guides and other info.

#37 10 years ago

Its been done.

#38 10 years ago

There is a time limit on editing posts? I've went back on posts several months old to correct spelling errors.

#39 10 years ago

Being able to lock certain people out of certain threads would be nice.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

But if a rage quitter wants to go edit all his posts he could basically destroy the guides and other info.

Which is the base reason for disallowing it. Editing your post used to be disallowed after 2 hours. I figured back then that no one would want to edit his/her post after such time. I did not think about people starting Wiki topics and such. So when people pointed me to that I extended it to something longer. It's currently set at 525600 minutes (which is 365 days).

I could remove the limit completely for opening posts. That way Wiki's and such would be possible to edit by their author forever.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robin-op-ability-to-delete-thier-posted-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.