Topic Stats

• 10,502 posts
  • 602 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by KingPinGames
  • Topic is favorited by 102 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,193 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

50EAF020-4CD8-4119-9427-F544C9EF38B0 (resized).jpeg
5DEFF28A-B529-4D16-A30F-1A4C5F68DDB9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3858 (resized).jpg
IMG_3857 (resized).jpg
IMG_3856 (resized).jpg
20191005_213740 (resized).jpg
20191005_213729 (resized).jpg
20191005_221951 (resized).jpg
20191005_221631 (resized).jpg
20191005_221713 (resized).jpg
20191005_221535 (resized).jpg
20191004_231821 (resized).jpg
20191004_230221 (resized).jpg
20191004_225937 (resized).jpg
20191004_225047 (resized).jpg
20190926_165833 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #6177 Spooky mentions game #3! Posted by SpookyCharlie (3 years ago)

Post #6605 Gameplay and rules video from Spooky Pinball Posted by Jetzxi (3 years ago)

Post #7268 V019 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (2 years ago)

Post #7366 Common trough issue caused by flipper switch description Posted by snakesnsparklers (2 years ago)

Post #9017 V21 Changelog Posted by GhostThruster (2 years ago)

Post #9409 V22 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (2 years ago)

Post #10228 V23 / v24 changelogs Posted by snakesnsparklers (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombywoof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1541 4 years ago

I'd think that "start production" would likely mean finalizing BOM, begin standardizing build procedures, securing deposits, ordering parts, etc. I wouldn't presume that it means that finished games begin rolling off the line in the second week of January. Give it a little time. Spooky has demonstrated that they can get machines out.

2 weeks later
#3058 4 years ago

Another slot is taken. My deposit has been sent and confirmed.

I'm usually drawn to the early solid state games, but I think that the extra slings on RZ are going to give this game some interesting dynamic.

#3166 4 years ago

209. Based on the 18 month timetable, that puts me somewhere around March 2017 for delivery. I'll just have to live vicariously through the low number buyers until then. I'm glad to have a spot!

3 weeks later
#3841 4 years ago

“That ramp is tighter than a zombie cheerleader’s ass!”

#3963 4 years ago

Ben, will code updates be Mac friendly?

1 week later
#4173 3 years ago

I'm looking forward to more information on the officially licensed mods and accessories that Charlie has alluded to. Unlike some, I really appreciate the use of negative space in the center of the playfield art. This effect could be accentuated and made more dramatic by some really tasty Horley art on the side walls. Bring it on, Spooky!!!

5 months later
#5413 3 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Notice the Pinball Life Kicker installed in the head.

Looks good!
Was the knocker factory installed, or did you install it after delivery?
Also, did the game come with any sort of manual with schematics and such?

#5415 3 years ago

Good to know! I'll add it to my build list. I may be old-school, but I think physical knockers are essential to the pinball experience.

3 months later
#6501 3 years ago

I'm holding out for some cool Horley art for blades and backbox. Hasn't Charlie hinted at some licensed stuff in the pipeline?

1 week later
#6594 3 years ago

Wow! So someone on the the wait list gets to jump ahead of 180 people that have been in from the beginning? No animus toward twenty84 here. I think it's great that someone was willing to release their game rather than flip it, and that someone who really wanted the game got to get in on it. I guess it even makes sense from a bookkeeping point of view. Trying to change everybody's number would be a logistical nightmare. It's just I'm really anxious to get mine!!!

3 months later
#7281 2 years ago

Am I the only one who immediately hears Black Sabbath's Nativity in Black whenever he reads the initials NIB? In any case, #209 came off of the truck today. It's my first new pin. In fact, it's my first one that was built more recently than the Reagan administration I bought RZ in part because of the homage to old school game-play, but more importantly, I bought it because I really appreciate the Spooky story.

Sláinte

IMG_3181 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#7345 2 years ago

I’m still getting to know the game, but am really pleased so far! Spooky is the real deal.

The shots are pretty tight, and just slightly off from where I want to shoot instinctively. With the spread-out pops and extra slings to add chaos, there is really no room for much slop. I’m not very used to playing with silicone rubbers and the flippers are really bouncy.

I have had no balls stick in the orbits, even at very slow speeds. The first night I had the game I did have one get past the rubber on the right sling during LDG add-a-ball. It took me ten minutes or so before I finally found it.

I am seeing a couple of minor quirks. On two or three occasions I got the Ball Saved graphic immediately after the ball was ejected into the shooter lane. Also, I definitely have had House of 1k Corpses lock the ball when the drop target was still up (running v19). I'm guessing switch issues. Any suggestions from those who have already dialed in?

#7348 2 years ago

That sounds logical. I'll pay closer attention next time I see it.

3 weeks later
#7583 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure they are Perfect Play from Pinball Life:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4014

1 month later
#7992 2 years ago

I just had to rotate my flipper rubbers because the tips were getting chewed up. I've got less than 200 plays on the game. Is this typical? It's my first go with silicone type bands, so I don't really know what the expected wear pattern is. All my other machines use traditional rubber. It's not a big deal. I'm going to put in an order with Pinball Life, anyway. I just wanted to know if this was abnormal.

Thanks.

1 month later
#8334 2 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

You've got to make this work over the net.

What's to stop your opponent from just playing with the glass off?

#8337 2 years ago

Fair enough. I personally would not do that, but it is just one of the difficulties facing 'net connected competition. Differences in setup are another.

1 month later
#8577 2 years ago

My read on the price situation with RZ is that it is greatly influenced by the disproportionate number of speculators who got in on this pin solely on the idea of making big money on a quick flip. When early flippers failed to attract super inflated prices, others panicked and more or less flooded the market. All while the game was still in production. What I imagine will happen is that as the last few production games get delivered, and the glut of second hand sales eventually land in the homes of collectors who really want the game, the price on RZ will stabilize and probably even increase gradually.

I think the game is a whole lot of fun on v19, and v20 looks like it will really ramp up the software to a whole new level. Spooky has demonstrated with AMH and now RZ that they are committed to making their games as good as they can be. People will come to realize that. Yes, there will always be those who just don't get RZ's gameplay, but the chaotic nature of the game was one of the things that got me to order in the first place. I applaud Spooky for doing something different, something a little retro, and a hell of a lot of fun.

#8642 2 years ago

A few early thoughts on v20:

Wasn't there some talk of having game settings and high scores persist through an update? Mine reset. Not a big deal really, but it would be a nice feature to have.

I notice the knocker for replay is now a single knock. I'll confess that when I first heard the original double knock, the old school purist in me was not pleased; however, as time went on, the double knock grew on me. It became a uniquely Spooky detail. I hope we can have a setting for single or double knock.

I had the VUK problem as well. It just hung and eventually went into ball search. I rebooted and was able to start a mode normally in the next game.

#8707 2 years ago

I've just updated to today's patch to v20 (07.02) (Thanks for your dedication Fawzma!) I only have a few games on the upgraded code, but my scores have taken a bit of a dive. Am I correct in thinking that you can no longer advance Murder Ride by hitting the 2 target while Living Dead Girl is active?

Another question: I can't understand the new call out that starts "move your..." It sounds like it might be truck. Is that right? I know it's a tip to Creature, but it sure seems to play an awful lot. What prompts it?

Many thanks to Spooky and company for all of their efforts. I look forward to exploring the new RZ in detail.

#8709 2 years ago

Thank you. That makes sense. It must be prompted by the new Superpops. That's going to get me into trouble with the better half.

#8712 2 years ago

So, when I hit that target, even during LDG, it will advance the current letter in Murder Ride?

#8804 2 years ago

I've seen the following bit of weirdness twice now. During ball two I drain with ball save lit. It does nothing. No coil fire for ball eject. It just sits there until ball search starts. It runs through ball search a couple of times and then kicks out a ball into the shooter lane and auto-plunges. Moments later, it is end of ball animations - no flippers and the ball drains. Ball three loads into the shooter lane. Before it's been on the playfield any measurable time, the game goes dark and into game over state, and the ball drains.

Has anyone else experienced this?

#8807 2 years ago

It's only happened twice, during two different sessions. I'm running the latest v20 and the problem has only happened under v20. Also, I had a bunch of games on the new code before this showed up.

2 weeks later
#8913 2 years ago

I had to have the glass off of my RZ this afternoon. Last night I had noticed some phantom pops from the lower right kicker. Sure enough, the switch was all bent to hell. It was easy enough to straighten it back out and gap it properly. These modern switches are so flimsy compared to the old school ones I'm used to. I have a feeling this is going to get bent back again with use.

While I had the glass off, I took the opportunity to wipe down the playfield, and replaced the flipper rubbers. They were getting a little chewed up at the tips. Good as new, now.

This and a broken flipper spring are the only issues I've had with the game. Spooky is building a remarkably reliable pinball machine.

IMG_3414 (resized).jpg

#8915 2 years ago

Yeah, you may be right on that. I thought the old switches used a heavier gauge metal, but I just looked over an old Bally, and if it is any thicker, it's not by much. I retract that part of my comment.

1 week later
#8964 2 years ago

I was having a pretty good game when I blew fuse 1. It happened when a ball hit the VUK during LDG. I've replaced the fuse, but firing the VUK in solenoid test won't clear the two balls stuck there. Does anybody have a neat trick for clearing stuck balls from that area without disassembly?

#8966 2 years ago

Cool. Through the wire form might work. I was eyeing them through the gap behind the Pussy Liquors sign. I'll give that a try.
Thanks!

1 month later
#9168 2 years ago

fortytwo, Thanks for posting the installation and game play videos. I'm wondering if it is possible to install the mod boards so that cables are not blocking any of the backbox LEDs?

1 week later
#9208 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Pinstadium kit arrived. Game is pretty dark but with the kit the playfield really pops. Gi and flasher integration is awesome!!!

Wow! That looks great. What color flasher did you go with? Any chance you can take a pick of how it connects to the GI? I've been on the fence on this, but now that they are finally getting into people's hands, I may have made up my mind.

1 week later
#9265 2 years ago

No email notice for me either, but I'm in, too!

#9284 2 years ago

I just finished installing v21 and my new apron video mod! I’m looking forward to some games and beverages tonight (have to beat those default high scores again).

Many thanks to all of those early adopters who took time to post their installation experience with this mod. I found it very helpful. Most of all, thanks to Fawzma for taking the time to put out and support this cool little upgrade!

Here’s my original apron with the custom black and white instruction cards I made. I won’t need these anymore.
IMG_3649 (resized).jpg

I like how they added the large Spooky logo on the right of the new apron. It’s a lot like what I was trying to do with mine, only better.
IMG_3654 (resized).JPG

Like some of the others, I wasn’t really happy with the hanger option for the boards, plus I wanted to avoid obstructing any LEDs if possible. Looking around the backbox, I noticed how the 3D printed clips holding up the LEDs were spaced.
IMG_3644 (resized).jpg

Sure enough, it’s a match for the mounting bracket for the board assembly. Cool. No drilling required!
IMG_3646 (resized).jpg

I did need a bit longer screw, but fortunately had some of the right size on hand. Everything is nice and stable with the Raspberry Pi back in place.
IMG_3647 (resized).jpg

IMG_3652 (resized).jpg

Looking good! I have to agree that this kit really needs to come with an HDMI angle adapter. As is, it’s a really tight fit getting the cable down into the cabinet, and it puts a lot of pressure on the connector. Plus, as has been pointed out, the cable casts a nasty shadow. For the record, mine requires a 270 degree adapter, and not the suggested 90 degree version (which would run the cable up into the apron). My order should be here tomorrow.

Time to go f**k up some demons!

#9291 2 years ago

Sure. I've never tried to post a PDF to Pinside before. Let's see if this works...

RZcards.pdf

#9302 2 years ago

What's going on with the CHOP switches under v21? None register at all on first play. They may or may not come back as more games are played. It's not mechanical. They all register just fine in switch test. I used to see this some on the "H", left inlane under v20. It's a lot worse now.

#9304 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

to include 2 balls

Do you mean ball loader issues? I saw a lot of that when I first upgraded, but it is not as common for me, now.

#9312 2 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

Check your WHATSNEW file and see if this line is in there
Update - 9/28 - Lane kickoff only happens when load routine has finished

My v21 WHATSNEW file does not have that. Don't you think that the build number should have been updated to v21.1 or something? I'll post my results after installation and play testing.

EDIT. I just re-downloaded the update from the link on the Spooky website. That WHATSNEW file does not have that line, either. Do you have a link?

3 weeks later
#9369 2 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Well that's the good thing about Pin Stadium. Turn it up, down whatever you like. I think RZ is too dark. I'm still dialing in the color but I love the way it lights up the playfield.

That’s what I was thinking, but then I saw a pick on the PinStadium thread with a reported value of just 20%. It may just be the inherent vagaries of photography, but to me, it still looked like you could probably see it from orbit! This game needs to be pretty dark, but it could use some very subtle improvements in GI. Could you post a photo of your rig set at, say, 5%?

2 weeks later
#9417 2 years ago

Any idea when we will see the official v22 release? Is the current beta GM, or should we expect further tweaks?

#9430 2 years ago

Well, I had to get the soldering station out for the first time on my RZ. I noticed that the right (chicken bucket) pop was registering points but not firing. Sure enough, one of the wires had broken free of the coil. I was surprised to see that a wire on the lower right sling had also broken free. I hadn't even noticed that it was not firing. Other than a broken flipper spring, this is the only repair I've had to make. I'd be curious to hear what other owners have had to fix.

Spaulding's Chicken Pop
Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 11.10.19 AM (resized).png

Slingshot
Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 11.10.35 AM (resized).png

#9432 2 years ago

I don't have the shaker option. I haven't looked at the audits recently, but would estimate between 450-500 plays.

#9483 2 years ago
Quoted from Doot77:

Anyone have ball kick out issues on new code or just me?

I only got to play three games on the new code last night, but the recent ball load issue continues to be a problem for me. On FB, David suggests upping the coil power. I’m going to try that and will report back.

I really like that you can spot letters for Murder Ride while in other modes again. Still discovering the mechanics of the new mini modes. I like what I see so far. Great job team Spooky!

4 weeks later
#9630 2 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

Anyone have a "fix" to ball hangups in the trough?
I've turned up the coil strength to the max setting.
It's leveled left/right and have it at 6.9 degree pitch on the playfield.
One out of 10 games I have a ball hangup in there and I have to shake it to get it to settle back down in order to kick out.

This is an ongoing issue for me, as well. Shaking won’t clear the hang up for me. I have to open the coin door and manually activate the ball loader plunger. It may be coincidence, but I never had the issue prior to v21. It persists in v22.

3 months later
#9825 1 year ago

Spooky says that RZ is feature complete. I’m good with that. There is plenty going on. (Although I would like to see H1kC tweaked a bit.) However, what I need to see is the final bug fix that was promised, and sooner rather than later. V22 introduced some pretty debilitating bugs. The ball load issue is well documented. I had to turn off the machine in disgust the other night because I had to open the machine three times in two games.

#9834 1 year ago
Quoted from ChanceKJ:

In the mean time im still trying to track down the cause of the constant blown fuse on the circuit with the pop bumpers and upper playfeild upkick...

Have you spot checked your coil wiring? I’ve had to re-solder wires that had broken loose on a couple of solenoids, including the chicken bucket pop. Also, what version of the code are you running?

2 months later
#9933 1 year ago

The last couple of releases introduced some pretty debilitating bugs that have yet to be addressed.

#9944 1 year ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

2) Is there a way to dial down the sub or shaker? I've noticed that cabinet has quite a bit of rattle to it at times.
3) does game progress save from ball to ball?

There is a pre-amp in the cabinet that will let you dial in your sound preferences.

Overall progress continues from ball to ball, but if you drain during a main mode, the mode ends. You will have to activate it again to complete it.

#9955 1 year ago

I've just been playing a few games. I love how when you finish Dragula, then the Dragula video mode, and then get back into regular play, the music stays with the 8-bit version of the song from the video mode. That's a great touch. Makes me smile every time. I'm assuming this was Ben's idea, given that he did the video mode. Well played, sir!

2 months later
#10076 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It makes no sense for either their customers or from a business standpoint.

I beg to differ. The current state of RZ code is the single biggest factor in why I do not have a deposit down on ACNC. I'm a big fan of all things Spooky, and have been in on the Rob Zombie ride from the beginning; however, the most recent software releases introduced debilitating software bugs. The worst for me is the well documented ball loader bug. I have to open the coin door and clear a ball jam on at least half of the games played. That's a pretty big deal, but I guess maybe I'm just "whining."

BTW, do you even own a RZ?

#10084 1 year ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

What version code are you running? I was getting double ball ejects, but that went away with the latest code update.

I am running v22, the latest official release. I have had some mixed luck running previous betas, so have been a little reluctant to install v23b. I have not heard that it directly addresses the ball load issue, but perhaps I should take a closer look at it.

#10091 1 year ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

It does fix the ball load issue. No problems since install.

Quoted from NoQuarters:

Ball load issues gone also.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm downloading the v23 beta now. What do you have that coil power set at if you don't mind my asking?

#10093 1 year ago
Quoted from davijc02:

Where did you get the V23 beta?

Fawzma's site. The URL is not public, but I bet he will give you a link if you PM him.

10 months later
#10339 5 months ago

Aftermarket, but made by Spooky’s RZ (and current) programmer, Fawzma.

1 week later
#10364 5 months ago

I had Charlie install the factory lighting upgrades and have never felt the need to add anything beyond that.

#10366 5 months ago

These were the factory options for RZ:

Ghost Buster Premium LED Upgrade light kit
5 Piece Plastic Protector Kit
Set of 3 light up toys (from Matt at Back Alley Creations, but installed by Spooky)

I also had them install a traditional knocker, drop shipped to them from Pinball Life.

#10367 5 months ago

It's a dark theme. It's appropriate that the lighting is as well.

#10371 5 months ago

I play in a dark room with just a 40W desk lamp maybe 12 feet away from the pin. It's dark, but I can see to play just fine. My other games are all early SS pins with incandescents, so maybe I'm just used to dimmer games. In comparison, the LEDs in RZ seem downright bright!

I say light it to taste and play more RZ!

#10378 5 months ago
Quoted from Completist:

Not sure what the upgraded lighting for the three toys are

Robot eyes, boom box speakers, and chicken bucket.

1 week later
#10410 5 months ago

I stumbled upon this earlier today and it made me think of this thread. This was one of several times I saw Rob's old band. This one was a heck of a line up!

WhiteZombie95 (resized).png
#10412 5 months ago

It will probably cost you $35 or so for lawn seats, and $100+ up front.

#10415 5 months ago

I found another one. This was when they were touring their break-out album, La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One. The Boat House was a pretty legendary venue. It was literally an old boat house on the Norfolk waterfront, with creaky wooden flooring that you could see the water through. Bands really liked it, even though it was a pretty small venue. I saw Nine Inch Nails on the Pretty Hate Machine tour there, PIL, Black Sabbath, and countless others.
WhiteZombie92 (resized).png

4 months later
#10483 31 days ago

I had to replace a broken flipper spring, and also had to re-solder a couple of coils whose wires had broken free. Overall, it's been remarkably solid. Good job Spooky minions!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 134.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombywoof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside