Topic Stats

• 10,502 posts
  • 602 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by KingPinGames
  • Topic is favorited by 103 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,193 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

50EAF020-4CD8-4119-9427-F544C9EF38B0 (resized).jpeg
5DEFF28A-B529-4D16-A30F-1A4C5F68DDB9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3858 (resized).jpg
IMG_3857 (resized).jpg
IMG_3856 (resized).jpg
20191005_213740 (resized).jpg
20191005_213729 (resized).jpg
20191005_221951 (resized).jpg
20191005_221631 (resized).jpg
20191005_221713 (resized).jpg
20191005_221535 (resized).jpg
20191004_231821 (resized).jpg
20191004_230221 (resized).jpg
20191004_225937 (resized).jpg
20191004_225047 (resized).jpg
20190926_165833 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #6177 Spooky mentions game #3! Posted by SpookyCharlie (3 years ago)

Post #6605 Gameplay and rules video from Spooky Pinball Posted by Jetzxi (3 years ago)

Post #7268 V019 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (2 years ago)

Post #7366 Common trough issue caused by flipper switch description Posted by snakesnsparklers (2 years ago)

Post #9017 V21 Changelog Posted by GhostThruster (2 years ago)

Post #9409 V22 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (2 years ago)

Post #10228 V23 / v24 changelogs Posted by snakesnsparklers (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#170 4 years ago

I sent KT an email around 6pm last night, still haven't gotten a response? I'll assume when things settle in, she'll catch up with email?

#229 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It's hard to say whether the run on this game is due to the license or due to good will generated by them making AMH first.

Can people who have put their name on the list for a game say whether it's the license or just Spooky's rep that has lead you to this decision without even seeing any art or a playfield drawing?

1. Already an AMH future owner
2. Rob zombie will look good next to the AMH
3. I like supporting a small pinball company, especially one so local
4. Rob zombie is cool
5. I like being able to own something so limited and not pay BBB prices
6. Spooky is open source. The controller, the source code, the 3d printed files. How can you not love being able to get replacement parts 30 years from now whether or not spooky exists by then?

#234 4 years ago

I have a question for charlie, maybe he can address on his podcast next month. Did Charlie contact rob zombie, or did rob zombie see what Stern's been putting out and decided he needed a pinball for himself and contacted Spooky?

#244 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Will RZ remain open source? Or will the license prevent this?

Technically Stern isn't open source either, but with pinball browser (if I had enough time) I could literally turn a metallica pinball into a Led-zeppelin pin. I believe license is tied to what the manufacturer puts out, same reason why spooky can't "sell a pinball to europe" for safety listing reasons, but if some owner wants to buy a pinball from them and resell it to someone in europe, they can't control what people do.

#250 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

I will accept suggestions from pin fans on what they like to see in a game (play mechanics wise) and can adapt. I did swipe an AMH (think it was Bens to be honest) so I know how things should fit together. It has certainly helped.

I would love it if you somehow included the "dragula" vehicle. I don't think Rob would be on board for it being a bash toy, but I do think he'd like it if it were a cover for a scoop (where the ball shoots at the flippers), sort of like the whirlwind cellar. I'm thinking something like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/42v47ujip5vtyfn/dragula_scoop.jpg?dl=0

#318 4 years ago

The 50 are "spoken" for, but that doesn't mean they're committed. People may drop out, some may decide they like the standard art better, some may think the $500 extra isn't worth it.

Oh also when does Robin officially add this game to the list so it can be tagged?

#344 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Let the first world problems go... please

"Oh no, there's a pixel out in the corner of my laptop screen!"

#360 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I'm personally in for the LE, but I could give two shits about the exclusivity. The ONLY reason I signed up for one is an option of art. Since the gameplay is the same, if the art isn't significantly different or to my liking, I may choose the standard in the end

I'm in the same boat, I'm not an LE guy (If I owned a stern, it'd be a pro not even a premium). I signed up for LE, and sort of glad I did because I think I'd like staring at a "dragula" on the backglass over Rob Zombie's mug, but won't know until I see it. Sure maybe the LE might have a higher resale value in the future, but not sure I'd ever sell either.

#388 4 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Plenty fair... but as far as I know that's not the case. Seems like it was a free for all with who emailed first?

I agree, they shouldn't have allowed a free for all. seems they underestimated the demand. they should have gone in order of AMH buying. Me being position #80 I have a somewhat good chance, but if I didn't get one it's my own fault for not supporting spooky sooner.

#621 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Dennis Nordman helped us with the upper playfield. Basically Dennis makes sure we don't screw it up royall

so it has an upper playfield you say? what else does it have?

#644 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Once artwork is revealed, buyers are obligated to put money down without being able to try it first for fear of losing a spot

How is that any different than Stern, or any other pinball company? How is that any different than when they built AMH and brought it to MGC to show off and got one sale? Now just because it's licensed suddenly there's reason to complain because they can't drag a prototype to every part of the country?

#675 4 years ago

Geez, nobody is twisting anyone's arms here..
Interested? put your name down. Not interested, ignore this thread.
Not interested after artwork/layout is shown, bow out. Still interested, put down $1k.

If it were any other startup, I wouldn't put down $100 to hold my spot for a pre-order. Because Spooky is profitable, and shipping pins every week, I have no qualms about sending money. Even if Charlie got hit by a bus during the process, I'd either get a refund (at least partial), or Ben Heck would likely source someone that could finish Chuck's project.

#791 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I'm hoping the LE will only have cosmetic differences?

art-wise yes, I believe the LE gets powder-coating, the standard edition does not

4 weeks later
#887 4 years ago

Charlie is having a "ask me anything" session on facebook, going to answer questions on tomorrow's podcast

#912 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

My only goal is to make sure its better than Avengers

avengers biggest flaw wasn't the code, it was the horrible callouts and the 2 areas where balls got jamed up

#924 4 years ago

bottom line, if the coding isn't up to charlie's expectations, they'll figure it out (or pull Ben in), but I have faith.

#933 4 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

I would imagine that the magical $5999.99 price point would not hold with an LCD. But I have no first hand knowledge on what cost differences are

The difference is that LCD is potentially cheaper, but I don't know if the pinheck board is purpose built for DMD output only. If it had video output as well, then LCD could be much cheaper (even if you only ran DMD type dots).

#957 4 years ago
Quoted from Volte6:

Thing is, colorDMD's make things look even older than monochrome DMD's haha... like old NES sprites or something.

depends.. most of them look great, but I get what you mean. It's sort of like when nintendo made that TV adapter for gameboy, and let you colorize it.. but it looked like colored B&W
gameboycolorful[1].jpg

#964 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The display we're using for RZSI:

Code updates done with serial OR parallel interface! Just have to find a desktop made before 1994.

1 week later
#973 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I've never heard of this Svengoolie guy

He was an icon on Fox (WFLD chicago before it became a national station)

Berrrwyyyn!

He also hosted an afternoon kids hour known as "the Koz zone"

1 week later
#982 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

what's the over and under on when Pinball Life Open House overtakes Expo?

problem is the limited space.. unless Terry starts renting outside tents like MGC, I don't see how it can get any bigger.

2 weeks later
#992 4 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

Benton, WI Labor Day Parade!

Hmm, looks a little muddy and dark, but that's the style of that artist. The playfield is going to need a lot of lighting.

#1008 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

As for Expo, it's Terry's party or bust I guess, no Spooky at Expo is what I thought.

Listen to his last show, he'll be at Terry's friday with Svengoolie to auction off AMH #150, and he's doing some sort of talk at Expo on Saturday. He could reveal his machine at either show, but considering he moved the AMH auction to Terry's, it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up bringing RZ there as well.

#1029 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

there is a precedent as the code guy that a few beers is all it takes for you to start telling us all sorts of stuff

It only works if it's spotted cow though

#1034 4 years ago

Amh is a 4 ball troft, I believe RZ is a redesigned 6-ball troft

1 week later
#1063 4 years ago

someone is a "man out of quarters" fan #coast2coast

1 week later
#1086 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

prototype done and on its way to rob zombie on spookys Facebook.

Enhance! Enhance!
enhance1.jpg
enhance2.jpg

#1094 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Not shipped to Rob per se, rather he's in Chicago for an event so Chuck took it down to show him the progress

I tweeted mancow (local morning radio guy on the Loop) to try to get him to talk about the pinball earlier this week but he never brought it up

#1098 4 years ago

from facebook:

What a night... got to watch sound check, hang out with the band, do the haunted houses TWICE, show the whole band the game, see an awesome concert with my family, and go over every square inch of Rob Zombie's Spookshow International with Rob & Sheri! The backglass, logos, cabinet art, and all the toys are approved. WHEW!!! Basically it's all down to playfield art now

It might not make it in time for Expo (still hoping it does), but we'll show everything as soon as possible. We're looking pretty good for production in January as we hoped, and that's what really matters.

Can't stress enough how cool Rob is to work with... he cares about this project and has put a ton of time and effort into his game right along with us. He's even got some mod ideas we can work on over the winter!

And yes, you will hear from Rob Zombie and an extremely dorky really nervous host on the next Spooky Pinball Podcast!

Photos coming soon!

Thanks to all of you for the comments and faith is our little pinball company! Means more to my family than you'll ever know. - Charlie Emery

#1166 4 years ago

I hear the decals on Spooky cabinets don't peel either

#1175 4 years ago

Most of you "only 300?" Buyers don't get it. It's not so much about making it limited, spooky can't currently make more than 3-4 pins/week. If they can manage a pin per day, it's just over a year to build. Even with breaking ground on a new building, that won't be done for a while, maybe not even till 2017.

#1202 4 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Is there a list for the first 300 people that said they were interested and another standby list for everyone else after the first 300? Or is there just a single big (over 300) list for whoever expressed interest and then when it's fully revealed they'll just take the first 300 from the big list?

It's my understanding KT has a spreadsheet with everyone's contact info (with spillover). As people drop out, those rows get deleted and everyone moves up.

#1241 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

That is a good point, if individual bulbs are used behind the translite to highlight the characters it will work out very nicely

I sort of hope it has individually controlled sections of lighting. Ben heck is already working on a mod to add a light strip to light up AMH ghosts. If Spooky can bring back animated backglasses, it'll sell well. The aftermarket for Stern simpsons looks awesome

1 week later
#1263 4 years ago

what I got out of that talk:

playfield art will be done in 2 weeks, with another week to populate a playfield before it's shown.
Playfield art by Alex is sketched, then watercolored, then oils, then dried, then scanned. Also rob zombie contributed to some of the art?
There are 700 people total on the waiting list
RZ will be easier to do code updates
There will be nudity in the dots, but there will be a family mode
The ball save is something new that hasn't been done before
Music license is as costly as the rob zombie license itself (every person in the room while recording a song has to get paid), it's no wonder why they are so adamant about buyers not replacing music (or at least publically showing it)
Any character made by rob zombie is included, characters used in the movie may not
The new manufacturing building will be 5,000 square feet

#1321 4 years ago

I would much rather see Charlie scale slowly and succeed than trying to maximize profit and end up failing (and not only letting his family down, but everyone in Benton that works for him now). If you look at any business, the successful ones grow slow, especially in the beginning. I'm sure the thing he's worried the most about is quality, and I think he's learned a lot from AMH. Remember how much a bad title affected williams in the 80's and 90's? One bad title (theme or flow) could kill sales, and then you're rushing the next title to make up for it. Be glad Charlie isn't like Jersey Jack. Promising the world, then increasing the price every year because he underestimated the BOM. Delaying releases, creating multiple limited editions of the current title while the next title is still being worked on. I'm still hearing issues of boards going bad from owners. Be happy Spooky Pinball is also striving to keep the price under $6k (even with a real license). Most companies would have happily bumped it up to $6500.

#1349 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I heard game #3 is going to have a DIY option with Ben and Charlie coming to your house and spending a week to help build it for an extra $1k?

No, but perhaps a custom 3d printed version of your dog on the playfield because ya know, that's what people are really clamoring for.

#1354 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I think you mean outhouse: the story of honey dipper dan.

Will sasso (along with Bryan Callan and a few other guests) does a hilarious podcast called "10 minute podcast"
http://tenminutepodcast.com

His fake wrestling show is pretty funny, and his impressions are spot on (hulk hogan, steve austin, arnold schwarznegger)

1 week later
#1401 4 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Yea, I hope there are emails and not just a mad dash, first-come-first-served to get your money down after some post on pinside or reveal at a show

There is a list of 700 people on the waiting list. If you have asked to be on the list, then you will be contacted in order.

1 week later
#1432 4 years ago

the real question on my mind, how do I get the super LE backglass?
RZ_SLE.jpg

1 week later
#1442 4 years ago

I don't want it to be rushed, but at the same time AMH is wrapping up in 6 weeks. He needs to keep the factory going, unless dominoes pizza just kicked RZ out of priority?

#1461 4 years ago

This waiting is killing me
giphy[1].gif

#1466 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

165 pixels sneak preview!

artz.jpg

So blood red rgb side lighting then?

#1492 4 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

Still hoping for black friday reveal

I hope so, I've been waiting in line in the cold for days now
230882979_black20friday20best20buy203_answer_1_xlarge[1].jpeg

#1536 4 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Literally has to be any day

Well since Charlie has been pretty consistent in releasing podcast shows the first of the month, that means he's recording today.. And if he hasn't sent out emails to customers yet, most likely he's going to talk about how "it's coming soon"

#1545 4 years ago

spooky 69 is out:
http://www.spookypinball.com/podpress_trac/web/1514/0/Spooky_Pinball_Podcast_69.mp3

Playfield is populated and being played tested, to be revealed in next few days?

1 week later
#1584 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I thought it was obvious to all that this was color?

Green is a color.. it was never confirmed it was FULL color

#1586 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyKT:

The stream has been re-scheduled so that it can be done from our new shop!! Keep your fingers crossed that things go quickly and maybe it will be even earlier.

So once you get walls up right? Who needs a roof to do a reveal, AMIRIGHT?

#1605 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Color dots are going to be awesome. Monochrome DMDs are done!

Red DMD dots are OVER! it's done! Thanks for ruining red dots!

portlandia_over.png

#1606 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

16" LED backlit LCD panel simulating 128x32 "pixels" at 256 colors

Oh man, not complaining, but a 128 x 64 Sega display in color would have been over the top

#2116 4 years ago

Charlie: FYI, I think your video is frozen and won't load. I don't know if it has to do with youtube flagging it for music. Ironically, I can save it using keepvid.

#2284 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I played Pinball Zombies at MGC a few years back and just wasn't feeling it at all.-and the new layout really doesn't look that much different

Well to compare:
pzfbtg_vs_rz.jpg

There's an added drop target behind the robot, a target removed under the upper playfield to make room for an extra lane, the standup target to the left of the middle ramp is wider (making the shot tougher), and the guide rails on the upper playfield have been removed and a post added, and of course a ton of toys have been added (especially the rotating Spaulding). Even these little things can completely change the way a game plays, and Charlie wouldn't release anything unless it played good. I'm honestly still on the fence and I'm not really sure why. I must have watched the promo video a dozen times in the last day.

#2357 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Has anyone from Europe ordered AMH or this?

this has been answered many times. Only way to get a pin in europe is for someone to order one in the states, and ship it to europe. Legally Spooky cannot ship directly to europe because of the safety standards.

#2458 4 years ago

for the record I don't have an issue with the playfield artwork. But for those that do, perhaps they can't wrap their mind around it being watercolor and not having everything outlined like a cartoon. See how much worse it would look if they went that route:
rz-outline.jpg

#2556 4 years ago
Quoted from sensfreak:

I am actually not worried about the code. I am sure that Spooky will be making sure the code is equal too or better than AMH.

I wouldn't worry about the code either. Ben made a clean framework for AMH (that's most of the work). Even if the code for RZ has issues, Ben could easily help out (he's still fixing some issues on AMH). He just didn't want to be the main programmer again because of the burnout.

#2802 4 years ago

I can only assume Rob Zombie is buying one (or is he getting one built as part of the licensing agreement)?

#2899 4 years ago

I'm officially out. I too don't want to flip, I'd rather give the chance to someone else who truly wants this.

1 week later
#3240 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

People are bowing out to let the next guy on the list have a chance.
No one seems to be buying to flip it for double later

I think this used to be a little easier in the past. You had deposit money to spare, some room to spare, no problem. Today there are so many choices with new releases from multiple companies, I think a lot of collectors are being more picky about what they commit to.

#3286 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Old Testament only

What will the soundtrack be, Genesis? *ba dum ching*
Book_of_Genesis_500[1].jpg
genesis_face_value.jpg

#3376 4 years ago
Quoted from LonghornEngineer:

J12 will just be used for testing and diagnostic. Someone has to test these boards coming off the assembly line

edge connectors at least somewhat lock in. It's a real pain when there's no board space and you have 4-5 little dots and you have to use one of those spring loaded connectors for diagnostic and testing.

Whysnow: I don't think anyone will ever use this edge connector, ever. I'm willing to bet a LOT of products you buy today have similar connectors that will only be used by the factory that have nothing to do with the consumer. I think you're confusing this with say an IC chip tester, or software diagnostics.

#3389 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I also had Parker add the real time clock as the Adult Mode Active during X hours idea somebody had on here was killer! Which also of course could allow Midnight Madness

I still don't regret not buying RZ, but I loves me some midnight madness mode. Bible adventures better have a "B.C madness" mode

#3499 4 years ago

according to latest spooky podcast, they are 3 away from selling out (not including #300). I don't know if that's going through the whole 700 list, or if they are slowly working their way up the list and giving each person a day to respond. And yet everyone was complaining they were only making 300, I think it's a good number.

#3544 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

15.9" 1920x1080 LCD with 40 pin dual-channel link, pretty much the same as a ColorDMD.

Sooo.. bible adventures is a go then? The old testament needs pixels dammit

#3630 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

1) Design game on your own time & dime.
2) Compute BOM before announcing price.

No no.. make an announcement, take in pre-order money for a ridiculous low production run without knowing what anything will cost or who your parts suppliers and vendors are... and and then pre-sell 2 other pinballs to pay for rent, R&D, capital equipment, continuation of salary for 4 years... thenn announce you ran out of money so pay this 3rd party to finish building them for a much higher price and reduced exclusivity... until that 3rd party realizes you're an idiot and drops out after shelling out $40k... get sued, live out of your van... Yea you're right Ben, your method seems to work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside