image (resized).jpg
RZ Glass (resized).png
Pinside_forum_8038068_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_6813 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7429 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #6177 Spooky mentions game #3! Posted by SpookyCharlie (7 years ago)

Post #6605 Gameplay and rules video from Spooky Pinball Posted by Jetzxi (7 years ago)

Post #7268 V019 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (7 years ago)

Post #7366 Common trough issue caused by flipper switch description Posted by snakesnsparklers (7 years ago)

Post #9017 V21 Changelog Posted by GhostThruster (6 years ago)

Post #9409 V22 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (6 years ago)

Post #10228 V23 / v24 changelogs Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#606 8 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We made a title announcement before it completely leaked anyway. We took a no obligation, no money down, interested parties sales list. Don't like it once you see it? It cost you an email and nothing else. If that upsets you, we're really sorry, we did our best. At least we aren't on page 400 discussing how to get your email back via attorney.
I personally wouldn't buy any game sight unseen, unless it was a dream title that I was completely enthralled with. I can think of maybe 3 things total... Rob Zombie is one of those for me.

Problem is - since you can only make 300 most (if not all people) will HAVE to buy without even playing it so hence the "comparing toys you haven't played yet" and trying to find info about shot maps.

Knowing the shot layout is still inferior to actually playing something but maybe now you understand why people would like to see one before sending in 6K. Makes sense to me.

Sounds good though... glad you're not asking for $$$ right out of the gate.

5 months later
#2500 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That's not actually what I was saying. I was saying I found his responses glib and dismissive. I didn't comment on his taking off after the announcement, someone else brought that up and I answered it.

His post that seemed "glib" was to Aurich and it MAY have been because he kept making the same point about the PF over and over and over...and was even getting more aggressive about it. They may not be able to change the PF at this point or even want to... so I think his tone was fine. I don't think he wants to reply to the same post for the next three months.

I was lucky enough to be on the list and will decide when we hopefully see a GP video. So far - to me - the overall art is WAAY
ahead of GOT or any of the recent Photoshop collage "efforts" we have (sadly) gotten used to.

I think a few of people here just crave drama...badly. I do too but not so much in a newsgroup these days

#2502 8 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

I can after the gameplay video.

Now THIS is the kind of post I was looking for. Short, sweet and to the the point. Thanks

#2563 8 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I actually like the playfield art, but what are those black streaky lines in the lower middle...smoke?...trees? I seriously can't tell.
I think it would have been easy to make the playfield art too "busy". This is a common issue with recent Stern games.

image.jpeg

I thought they were spooky shadows of the trees in the graveyard. I guess it's open to interpretation

#3066 8 years ago

I'm personally getting more fond of the PF. Besides Rob's face with the hair that looks like spooky tree shadows to me...there is that rather excellently drawn and detailed "witch" towards the upper PF. Just that witch has more personality and real art than GOT's entire
"generic overlay" PF. As an example and IMHO anyways.

Add the fact that it is not lit up like a Xmas tree and the whole package seems decently cohesive.

Now I just hope I like the gameplay.

1 month later
#4221 8 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Hate to say it again but I love covered play fields with detail art like TFTC, I know it's been brought up and bashed enough but really wish there was more on the playfield in this game. Oh well maybe Alice Cooper will be covered with details. There is no need for too much open plain space on any game made to a certain degree. Sorry just the way I feel.

It's understandable as we've all been conditioned to expect a ridiculous amount of busyness on pinball PF's. Myself included.

But then I realized I'd rather see three balanced and handpainted pieces of real art in front of me (face,tombstone,witch) than the
generic vector shapes with some uninspired clip art thrown in. I'll let you guess which recent titles may or may not fit that description

But you're right... you probably shouldn't keep "saying it again". When people constantly do this the thread gets unreadable. And I have certainly been guilty of this myself.

1 month later
#4394 8 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

I really hate the name entry. That's not the final version.
Wizard mode is in, but again I have temp placeholder vid clips.
I am also super bummed that there is a ball drain bug of some sort and without being there it's hard for me to know how/when/what's causing it.

Yeah there should be some music pounding during the ending/name entry for sure. One other question: it seemed in the earlier video the game just sort of limped into the massive multiball. Maybe I missed it but shouldn't there be some kind of fanfare/light show before the multiballs? Not something as drawn out as TAF where you eventually want to be able to skip it but...something?

Sorry if this is already there and I missed it.

#4395 8 years ago

And I know it's probably too late for this but I hope there is sufficient play in the outlane posts so that we less-than-stellar players might be able to get somewhere in the game

3 weeks later
#4550 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

played this at MGC this weekend. Had a really good game that lasted for quite awhile. Played really smooth. Unique layout and started to pick up on what I was suppose to do on the first game and from watching a game or two before. Love the pops out in the open and unique playfield design. People on order should be really happy with the end result.

Awesome. Now I feel even better about it. Thx for the impressions!

#4598 8 years ago

Yeah I'd like to know the difference in the LED's also. I assume the regular LED's won't ghost so what's the upgrade give you?

#4615 8 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Hey guys... just to be clear, the games will all ship with LED's, which are the standard frosted white & red Ablaze lighting in the GI, and white Ablaze in the inserts. The upgrade kit is full Ghost Buster Premiums in the inserts (color matched), and the "f'n brights" in the GI. There are 4 individual chains of GI in the Rob Zombie game, so that's a whole lot of lights & wires.
We did a lot to improve the lighting from AMH to RZ. Let's be honest... we needed to! We improved a ton of stuff in this game, and soon you'll all see that.
Thanks for the patience and understanding! I should have been a bit more clear on this before KT sent out the emails... my bad.

So the GI will be a brighter LED and bulbs will be color matched under the inserts... got it. Sounds fine but some of us already have so many quality LED's laying around that doing it yourself may be a better option. For some...

I do have a follow-up question however... does the game show ghosting when using standard LED's for the inserts? I assume not as you don't mention the use of non-ghosting bulbs in the standard setup and I doubt you would ship them with obvious ghosting issues.

Also don't most machines have 4 sets of GI circuits? I seem to remember my WMS all have four separate GI circuits with their own fuses (as I have blown one or two over the years installing stuff, etc)

Thanks as usual for the info Charlie... lookin' fan-#$%%-tastic!

#4635 8 years ago

So to sum all this up... we'll find out the details when Charlie comes by or someone writes back to Kayte. Or should we all keep pontificating endlessly? (always wanted to use that word)

1 week later
#4676 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Streaming some RZ in a few minutes (9:30pm CST)
https://www.twitch.tv/texas_pinball

image_(resized).jpeg

Ed I enjoyed that... you and (your wife?) make for some very down home and nicely low key hosts. I get tired of all the hipster vids that try to be edgy with all the bad jokes, etc.

I still wonder if there is a more optimal view for broadcasting... the top down is the standard but it looks small and remote to the viewer. It's hard to get into it when it looks like you are stuck to the ceiling looking down. And the flipper-cam is more of a novelty view at best.

What we need is a camera strapped directly to your head - and then a huge body brace to prevent you from moving and shaking the image.

Sound doable?

1 week later
#4726 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I have to be honest, I've always wondered why people care about this. If it's something new, or someone made new mods, or something, then I get it. But to see the same pictures we've all been seeing for months...I've never understood. Not criticizing, just don't get it.
To each their own, no worries.

I feel this way in the MMR thread at the moment... I mean we've seen the three kinds of trim and that's about it. There is the "did I get one of the good PF's??" inspection when opening your box but that doesn't lead to good conversations and makes me start ranting uncontrollably.

NOW if some new RZ owner might want to take off the glass and take some neat close-ups of different areas of the PF,etc... now THAT would be worthwhile.

1 week later
#4835 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Making the SD card works the same way it did with AMH. Make sure it's a fresh format, FAT32, 32 kilobyte allocation size. This can be done with Windows or Mac.
Download the latest ZIP file, and extract the folders to your computer first, THEN copy them to the freshly formatted SD card and stick it in the machine. Hold the PROG button during startup, or use the menu to select Update on Next Boot. It takes about 3-4 minutes.
OK so WHY this specific update routine with the SD card?
Remember "Disk Defragmenter?" So what happens is, files aren't always contiguous on a disk especially if you overwrite or add files. One half of a file might be here, and the other half is somewhere else.
In a file allocation table, the "path" to complete a file is called a cluster chain. It points to the start of a file, how much of it is there, and at the end is a vector leading to the next cluster. You must "follow" this to get the entire file. Defragmenting reconnects file parts and makes them all contiguous. This is less of an issue with modern systems as you're not actually moving a read head across space to find the next part of a file.
Problem is, pinHeck doesn't use a "proper" file system and thus can't follow cluster chains. On boot, it scans the DMD and SFX folders, each of which contain up to 26 folders (A-Z) which contain around 50-60 files each. The directory sector for each folder is stored in RAM, so when a file is called, the system never has to "deep dive" through folders to find it. A "DAA.wav" file is stored in SFX/_D folder, so based off the first character, we know exactly where to start looking. We also never store more than 64 files in a folder, meaning the most files we ever have to search through looking for a match is 64 (and we only have to compare 2 characters as the first character is the folder pointer) Worst-case file seek time is 5ms which is 6 times faster than a single frame of video
The disadvantage is that we need a predictable "flat" file structure, which is why you must format an SD card before putting files on (but fast format is OK!) When you copy files to a blank card, everything is laid out nice and neat in contiguous order.
David and I discussed making a "pack" file - which would be a single file with out own directory structure inside (PC games do this) but that would be down the road.
It's also possible that we've optimized enough other stuff that we could "afford" to follow cluster chains again. But for now, this is still a massive improvement over how AMH was updated.

Well if all we have to remember is to do a fast format then that is certainly painless and quick. And if we forget... when it says "update failed" - well THEN we'll remember what we had to do but forgot.

Seriously this is no big deal. For neatness sake it would be nice to make it idiot-proof down the road but this already beats trying multiple flash drives, etc.

Might want to include the instructions to "fast format" in the documentation with the machine for customers that don't keep up here on pinside. Well... wait didn't all 300 machines go to pinside members?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4876 7 years ago

I'm just glad an owner can actually have a couple different cool designs from the same artist for this. I don't think Stern will sell you an LE translite for your pro or premium... or am I mistaken about that?

Seems like a real nice gesture from Spooky but as usual there may be some aggrieved party somewhere... damn LE owners

#4937 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

They're going to sell 300 of them.

Maybe 299. I value my ears too much

2 weeks later
#5167 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I had my friends RZ here and it was surprisingly fun. The game felt really solid and played well. The game was terribly dark with the lights off. We brightened it up a ton. Unfortunately my iPhone camera makes everything look like crap and pink (it does not really look that way) . Before and after photos taken in absolute dark room. You can at least see the center playfield and the ball.

Yup... looks like you'll need to put a PinballBulbs kit for RZ! Looks good.

#5216 7 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

I agree, was VERY unimpressed overall with the build quality.

So you didn't like the coin door and THAT equals = unimpressive build quality. Ummm... ok Great post.

1 week later
#5298 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Everyone that contacted me on these is going to get a pm in the next few days . 14 ready in this pic the others in progress yhe first batch will be ready soon .

I gotta say you are a regular Jackson Pollock with the blood spatter. Kudos on it.

#5321 7 years ago

Looks great. I assume the camera made the backglass completely blue. Is the apron thin plastic ? I also kinda wish it didn't have the small white lettering "complete all yadda yadda" instructions around the middle insert. Seems unnecessary and out of place with the art.

Congrats!

#5349 7 years ago

That is a GREAT video. I learned a heck of a lot. The guy playing and talking did a hell of a job explaining things. Fawzma coded the CRAP outta this game. Really took it to a whole new level.

#5358 7 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Like how to smack the shit out of your machine? No thanks.

Hey you obviously don't care about ghosting, etc... but now you're worried about slapping the cab? Take off your wedding ring first

2 weeks later
#5559 7 years ago

Guys please don't make the game even HARDER before I get mine. Jeez...

1 month later
#6007 7 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Glad I opted for a later built machine. This will be my first new pinball machine. Looking forward to not have to fix anything or have stuff that needs attention. Just play and enjoy the game. I am like 224 so by then all fixes, will hopefully be in place.

Sorry dude that late # is TAKEN! lol Better call Kayte

4 months later
#7076 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The fades are good for a game that uses a lamp matrix. The main thing that bugged me was the flicker at the low brightness levels. I also like being able to control the brightness of the LEDs. I really don't want to drag this thread down with my stuff, though, so that's my last comment on the subject.

I'm thinking they said that was a hardware limitation. Something like they don't have control over the light.

I thought it looked great Herg. Super smooth and a big difference from the obvious "step-down" effect the LED's do on the stock machines when trying to do fade sequences.

Maybe some people truly don't/can't see it though...

#7106 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I finally got to see the pinball refinery UV lighting they use in person. Agree with others. Looks nothing like the pictures. Not sure why they (or anyone else) posts pictures of it. Looks horrible in pictures.

Yeah I use purple spots in a lot of my games because white or warm white just looks like somebody turned on an overhead light. Kinda spoils the ambience... in person the purple has a lot of white in it so it looks kinda "magical" (ok that's pretty girly). But in pics it looks like the entire PF is purple. Cameras like the purple I guess

2 weeks later
#7235 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

It all adds up. Here are my coin reject inserts.

I like those. Nice idea and detail work.

1 month later
#7647 7 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

I should be a monster and change all the songs to Powerman 5000 when I get mine

Game would rock with that first cd's worth of songs... remember "Freak, Human Fly" and all that? Takes me back.

"Even Superman shot himself"

#7653 7 years ago
Quoted from sulakd:

After clearing a stuck ball, I ended up with one on the ejector coil, so the game wouldn't start due to 'missing ball.' I figured I could just go into coil test to shoot it out without pulling the glass. I couldn't get any of the coils to work in test mode however. In the coil test menu, you select a coil with the flippers and it says something like press 'enter' to test. I tried the start button and green service button, but I couldn't get any coils to fire on test. I tried the servos in the servo test menu and Spaulding worked fine. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? ( I did clear the ball by manually pushing the coil through the coin door.) Thanks!

If it's like other machines you need to press (or yank out) an interlock button by the coin door.This activates the high current for the coils, etc. You could also close the coin door (if indeed it was open when you were trying to test it).

1 week later
#7761 7 years ago

Yeah as amazingly transparent as they have been all along...with the coder himself providing constant updates and feedback...

let's now pester and nag at them to run them off... in true PS fashion.

Great couple of posts guys.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-spook-show-international?tu=manic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.