Topic Stats

• 10,502 posts
  • 602 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by KingPinGames
  • Topic is favorited by 102 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,193 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

50EAF020-4CD8-4119-9427-F544C9EF38B0 (resized).jpeg
5DEFF28A-B529-4D16-A30F-1A4C5F68DDB9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3858 (resized).jpg
IMG_3857 (resized).jpg
IMG_3856 (resized).jpg
20191005_213740 (resized).jpg
20191005_213729 (resized).jpg
20191005_221951 (resized).jpg
20191005_221631 (resized).jpg
20191005_221713 (resized).jpg
20191005_221535 (resized).jpg
20191004_231821 (resized).jpg
20191004_230221 (resized).jpg
20191004_225937 (resized).jpg
20191004_225047 (resized).jpg
20190926_165833 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #6177 Spooky mentions game #3! Posted by SpookyCharlie (3 years ago)

Post #6605 Gameplay and rules video from Spooky Pinball Posted by Jetzxi (3 years ago)

Post #7268 V019 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (2 years ago)

Post #7366 Common trough issue caused by flipper switch description Posted by snakesnsparklers (2 years ago)

Post #9017 V21 Changelog Posted by GhostThruster (2 years ago)

Post #9409 V22 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (2 years ago)

Post #10228 V23 / v24 changelogs Posted by snakesnsparklers (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#216 4 years ago

It's hard to say whether the run on this game is due to the license or due to good will generated by them making AMH first.

Can people who have put their name on the list for a game say whether it's the license or just Spooky's rep that has lead you to this decision without even seeing any art or a playfield drawing?

#303 4 years ago

What's the timeline on seeing the backglass and playfield art?

#449 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

As for switching songs on a licensed game? Don't post about it here or put videos on YouTube, or pinHeck will no longer be open-source and we'll encrypt the files.

Why is this not a problem for Stern? There's tons of posts here and videos of songs being swapped out on their games and they don't give a crap.

#451 4 years ago

Because an excited owner is going to post a thread about him swapping songs, then Ben will pull the ability to do so and people will be sad.

But Stern hasn't done this and seems to suffer no ill effects, so I'm asking what's different.

#496 4 years ago

I missed it, when can us mere mortals get on the list to buy?

#655 4 years ago

Yes, but will they be sitting on my $1,000 for a year? I can understand a couple of months, but anxiety doubles every month after that.

#678 4 years ago

My understanding is that this game is now "Sold Out" in terms of emails received.

When do we get to see it in action?

#682 4 years ago

Ben Heck mentioned it in his interview.

#685 4 years ago

That's what I meant - the interest list is already over 300.

2 weeks later
#825 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

It would be cool if Spooky could throw us a teaser here and there ... a little close-up of some artwork (cabinet or playfield), maybe a quick vid of some dots, or the game logo?)

Eek, a little too Popaduik for my liking...

I think larger reveals more spread out is fine...

#873 4 years ago

Yeah, this is one case where you really have a good chance of not losing money even if it's not the best game ever.

That's why I signed up - cool theme, highly likely to actually get made, low production means lower risk if I ever decide to resell.

2 months later
#1051 4 years ago

When Data East did Guns 'N Roses, Slash had a lot of input into the design and it had a pretty positive effect.

Has Rob had any input into the game design on this? I know he's a pinball fan so it might be a similar situation.

3 weeks later
#1235 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I like a little visual space to breathe, the "packed" look isn't my favorite. So I have no problems with that corner myself.

My only issue is that it's a little lopsided. I guess I prefer symmetry.

Other than that, it's very good. Certainly 100x better than the GoT art.

2 months later
#1874 4 years ago

The cabinet is pretty excellent.

I think, personally, I prefer keyline art on playfields over Stern-style 4-colour artwork. That's just me, though, I don't think it takes away from others enjoying it.

With the recent exchange rate drop I'm not sure I can stay in. Have to think about what I do to cover that nut!

#1934 4 years ago

Man, the LE backglass is way better.

#2018 4 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Yes, it's a gamble committing before gameplay however sometimes you need to take the risk to get rewarded. If you don't feel comfortable then nobody is forcing your hand and I am sure there are plenty of people on the waiting list who would gladly step in and purchase it. Just saying.

Not trying to stir shit here, but that's the same line people got for Predator and Magic Girl.

Now, obviously Spooky has shown they can deliver. That's not in question here, odds are you'll get your game. But asking for $1K without at least detailed photos and a game walkthrough is a bit too much like the boutique crash of 2015. I'd really, really like to see detailed photos and a game walkthrough before committing.

#2047 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

I will work on a quick and not very polished game play video on Monday... post it either Monday night or Tuesday. Right now, trying to pack up some AMH's for customers.

That's all I was asking about. I'd love to play it in person but a video and some closeup photos would go a long way for me.

Take photos like you're selling a game in the Pinside Marketplace and want to appease the trolls!

#2473 4 years ago

At this point I'm mostly put off by Charlie's dismissive tone when responding to what seems like legitimate criticism. Turn off the computer and go outside?

You're asking people to drop $6,000 on a game they won't have a chance to play first, have only seen photos of, and any hesitation on the part of customers due to game play and art is just dismissed with a shrug and a glib response.

#2478 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

How often do you see Gary Stern and company on here giving detail and explanations of what they are doing? They put out a product and your choice is take it or leave it.

That's kind of my point, I was expecting better from Charlie than to just tell people to take it or leave it.

I find the playfield art muddy, indistinct and sparse. They've even somewhat admitted that the playfield is a bit of an issue given the artist's lack of experience. Everyone in the thread has been very supportive and moderate even in their criticism. I see no reason not to address the issue, as Ben has done for example, but instead he just told Aurich to turn off the computer and go outside. That's more like what Jack would say.

#2481 4 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

Give these people a fucking break and know they do not need to answer a question minutes from a post....Unbelievable!

Come on, everyone knows there would be tons of questions after the announcement - maybe don't announce on a Friday at noon, and then leave? Bad planning.

#2483 4 years ago

I dislike how everything on Pinside is so polarized. Any sort of criticism or challenge offered, and you're a troll and there's a pile-on by the unquestioning fanboys.

I'm one of the 150 on the list, by the way. Even by Pinside rules I'm allowed to have an opinion.

#2490 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I pointed out that you are incorrectly blaming Charlie for dropping the announcement and "leaving" which is just plain wrong.

That's not actually what I was saying. I was saying I found his responses glib and dismissive. I didn't comment on his taking off after the announcement, someone else brought that up and I answered it.

#2537 4 years ago

I really like the idea of the LE having a topper with the name on it and leaving that artwork as-is.

#2605 4 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

484299.jpeg484300.jpeg

I like these a lot better. There's more going on, more to draw the eye.

#2683 4 years ago

Software might be incomplete. That can always be fixed.

#2697 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

why shouldn't they sell it? They didn't perform a malicious act on another collector.

I think he means selling it for a profit. Because pinball and profit shouldn't go together.

"Do it for the hobby!" is really "I want to save money".

#2701 4 years ago

I've sent in my deposit. Worst case, I sell the game for $20K by next Christmas.

That's a joke by the way...

#2703 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Not really, could be $20K CAN any day now.

I don't know how, since Spooky isn't allowing people to move their reservations.

I could see people selling them *after* they receive the game.

#2839 4 years ago

Dirtbag66 is a troll but there's a kernel of truth in there. There's a whole lot of "kumbaya" back-patting going on in this thread for a game only a handful of people have seen or played. People on Pinside tend to go all-out with their emotions and sometimes it can get a bit saccharine and off-putting. Everything in moderation, folks.

Spooky has my deposit, but let's hold off on the slobber and calling it the greatest game ever made until a few get delivered and we can get a more varied review from multiple sources. It would be nice to have a discussion about a game without it turning into a downvote festival.

#3128 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

66%+ on a no obligation list are putting their money up. The art isn't bad, and it's not a problem.

Just because people are buying it doesn't mean the art isn't bad. It just means those people don't care about the art.

#3131 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

or it means they like the art?

People might think art is subjective, but there's actually a bunch of rules when it comes to graphic design and they're there for a reason - legibility, colour balance, layout, etc. A playfield isn't a painting, it needs to serve a specific purpose and the art as it stands fails to do that.

For example, did you know there's a bat on the playfield? Hard to tell since it's basically lost near the pops.

As such small numbers I don't think it's a deal breaker - clearly 300 people think it's fine. But that doesn't change the fundamentals of graphic design.

#3135 4 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

But there's room for an elitist goat too!

I'm sorry you think I'm being elitist. Here, look at this in contrast, which I think is the best playfield I've seen since the B/W days.

big-lebowski-pinball-1.jpg

Inserts are well integrated. There's a sharp keyline defining the separation of images. It's 100% thematically on-point. It clearly conveys all shots and game progress. Also, the artwork is excellent.

It's not that the playfield art itself is "bad", but that it isn't a good choice for a playfield. It's dark, muddy, and isn't remotely integrated with the inserts or the game components. In that sense it's "bad".

#3138 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

if you don't think the art on that cabinet is bad ass you must be smoking something funky

No, the cabinet is amazing. The backglasses are excellent as well. All the more head-scratching why the playfield isn't as good.

#3192 4 years ago

#263. Looks like I have until mid-2017 to save up.

2 weeks later
#3675 4 years ago

For those wondering about the $500 LE price difference - remember, the artist needs to get paid.

It's not just what the printing costs.

3 months later
1 month later
#5005 3 years ago

At least no one is complaining. A refreshing change from other threads.

2 weeks later
#5236 3 years ago

Now I want to know what he said...

Wish I could view the edit history of posts.

#5254 3 years ago

Well, it's easier for Stern or JJP to abandon Pinside - 90% of their customers come from elsewhere.

90% of Spooky's customers originate here.

1 month later
1 month later
#6192 3 years ago

So sometime around March? Damn, 2017 is going to be crazy with new games.

1 month later
#6617 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The decals do look great done that way, but what happens if they need to be replaced?

Would you say that about the direct screened WPC cabinets?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods
$ 107.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside