image (resized).jpg
RZ Glass (resized).png
Pinside_forum_8038068_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_6813 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7429 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #6177 Spooky mentions game #3! Posted by SpookyCharlie (7 years ago)

Post #6605 Gameplay and rules video from Spooky Pinball Posted by Jetzxi (7 years ago)

Post #7268 V019 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (7 years ago)

Post #7366 Common trough issue caused by flipper switch description Posted by snakesnsparklers (7 years ago)

Post #9017 V21 Changelog Posted by GhostThruster (6 years ago)

Post #9409 V22 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (6 years ago)

Post #10228 V23 / v24 changelogs Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10194 5 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Bein WI is not the tech hub of the world, would shipping a game to a programmer for development be out of the question? Or is that too costly?

How did they do it with fawzma? It wouldn't surprise me if they already do just that. What would be better is if they could outsource the code to an owner who also codes, but there might be a lot of red tape for that.

#10203 5 years ago

Crossing my fingers this will be good. Traded for my RZ in the hopes that the code would get fixed.

#10248 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Thank the stars you didn’t buy a Hobbit then.
rd

Having bought my huo rz at a good discount I would love to find a hobbit for the same. People who buy nib need to realize they need to be in for the long haul. Code can take years, even from stern. Code doesn't always get finished either.

That all said I really would love if the changelog got updated to reflect anything in the new version. It does provide positive feedback to customers that things are happening.

#10262 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You must not have been following Hobbit sales ...
Just the first few pages of Pinside archives. A new LE is $8500. To sell one quickly today, it needs to be around $6k. There have been some routed ones in the 5s.
I’m not picking on Hobbit, I’m just pointing out that 7/10 pins lose money on sale, and Hobbit is the glaring example of that.
In NZ, you throw away $1000s on any used NIB purchase. New Woz and hobbits were $14,000, they’ve sold around the $10k mark. Same with GOT and SW Premiums, they were $12,500 new, they’re going for $10k used.
rd

Its not just hobbits. I am waiting to hear about a houdini that I put an off in on. Those are dying on the vine it seems. Ghosbusters does not seem to be doing so hot either at the moment as well. Then there is the jjp pirates that is down to 9k in the market. Its all new games, it is almost like the market came back to reality and stopped paying new prices for used machines.

#10265 5 years ago

Updated to v24, but game keeps spitting out balls. Maybe a setting changed I wasn't aware of or maybe it suddenly developed a trough switch problem? Anyone had this? Otherwise will probably dicker with the trough when I get the chance.

#10271 5 years ago
Quoted from mara:

My game spitting balls random also, it starts with 23 and also 24. I think that problem is not software, have checked switches many times and trying adjust those. Nothing find yet.

I spent a good half hour on it. Pulled the balls and started hammering on the pf, but couldn't get any switches to act up. All of them are closing when expected. Loaded the balls hammered again, all switches solid.

Reset the software to factory defaults, have not had an issue since. Odd, but its working now and going from version 22 to 24 was a nice change. Now need to fix the murder ride switch as it pulls out of the slot and the ball gets hung up. Also need to do something about the mode start vuk. A hard shot to it results in the ball coming back down the orbit.

#10277 5 years ago
Quoted from sleepygtr:

See my homemade fix in a few pages back for the ball sticking. Also I have my VUK solenoid set to 6 and it serves it right to the small flipper - I think V24 even defaults the VUK to 5.5 power....

The vuk launches fine. The problem is if you make a shot to the left orbit. A good, solid shot. It will go up, and it ends up bouncing off the side or bouncing off the ramp. In either case a good shot which should go into the vuk tends to come right back down the left orbit. It is very frustrating for people.

#10279 5 years ago

Thanks, will give that a try when I get done getting the latest additions setup.

3 weeks later
#10285 5 years ago

Alright, upgraded to an le this weekend.
Game now has the following mods:
Apron LCD Screen
Demon Ride Gate
Knocker
Shaker Motor

Still thinking i want to add the lighted lockdown bar mod, topper, and lit speakers. Anything else that I should look into?

#10290 5 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

Looks like you have pretty much everything. I one day hope to add the apron mod provided that Fawzma has time to fully implement all the features he had for it.

Funny thing is so far I haven't ordered anything for this game. Just the mods from the two machines I bought. Hundreds in mods and I got a good deal on both games with the spare already gone.

Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Where does one purchase the LCD apron mod? It would be nice to see screen without looking up which is hard during game. What power source connection does this use as I have several mods hooked up as it is and don't want to overtax the power supply.

Shows score, player number, and tells you what the objectives are as well as how close you are. So for superbeast it will show how many beasts you have vs i think its little red riding hoods. Its actually really helpful for new players to know what to shoot for in a given mode. It is however unfinished and if I had paid the 300 or so that it cost I'd be pretty unhappy because of that.

Quoted from mackey256:

The Living Dead Girl Mausoleum mod is really very cool. In fact all of the mods @medisinyl makes are worth looking into.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1104-medisinyl-mods/01413--rob-zombie-mausoleum-mod-living-dead-girl-

At 200 I would have to see one in person first. I am thinking of maybe adding his gas station and ball stop mod fixes. Spine ramp would also need to see. The gas station would fill a very empty spot on the pf, the other two might make things too busy, but that is my taste.

#10291 5 years ago

Also, why is the le on this not listed separately on pinside? Different backglass, different color hardware (found that out this weekend), cutouts in the rails.

#10299 5 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

My guess is same code, same playfield. Only difference is cosmetic.

Spiderman black is the same. LOTR LE, same since people figured out swapping the pal chip lets you use a shaker motor. So it stands to reason that the le should be a separate listing.

2 weeks later
#10308 5 years ago

Had a friend over last night and figured out why I get so many rejects from the mode start vuk. The ball is hitting the bottom of the vertical upkicker wireform when you make a solid shot to the left orbit aka mode start shot.

How to resolve?
Options:
Move the ramp closer to the vuk, ball should clear the wireform before hitting and thus not bounce back out.
Sand or use acetone fumes to melt the ramp and smooth it out. Could be hitting a bump and getting airborne.
Reposition the wireform so that it is higher, least favorite option, but an option.

Also, a note for spooky. Throw away your double sided tape. I get that it was a cheaper way to put the game together, but it does not make for a serviceable machine. For those that do not know, the rails have one bolt near the lockdown bar, rear of the rails are drilled for a bolt, but it was not installed, instead they used double sided tape. The le's have less of this tape due to the rob zombie cutouts, which btw the colors you see through the rail are a piece of paper taped to the back of the rail. The ballguide for the left orbit has screw holes but uses double sided tape tape. The ramp for the mode start some are just double sided tape, mine has a screw and double sided tape. Comparing AMH to RZ it is obvious lessons were learned, but would love to get my hands on a acnc or tna and see if they finally moved away from this cost cutting measure.

5 months later
#10362 4 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Ball stop is critical. Also pinstadiums with UV flasher is perfect for this game. Allows you to adjust the light needed for your game location. This is the only game in my collection that has them. Huge difference.

Different tastes, but think pinstadiums ruin it personally.

2 months later
#10457 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Did a mix of clean and dirty call out options ever get added in an update?
If not, please do. Simple improvement. Variety is the spice of life.
Re: code on this game generally, I hope it gets opened up to the community somewhere further down the line - as it's obviously not going to get re-run, and the pinheck system is now defunct anyway. Although maybe that would require Ben's sign off too?

I'd be interested in looking at the code. Just wonder what language it was done in. Pretty sure ben open sourced the boardset and basic code, just haven't had a reason to dig into it.

#10462 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Ben didnt write the game code for RZ. It was Fawzma. The OS is probably Ben.

And that open sourced os would tell you what the language used was... Has nothing to do with who wrote the game specific code.

#10466 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Im not following....I thought the desire was to modify the game code. Without having the orignal game source code available from Fawzma, having Ben's OS code isnt going to get you far....unless you are proposing rewriting all the game code.
Having seen snippets of code in the past from AMH, it's a language specific to the Heck board I believe. It's not like it's written in C or Perl.

What it is written in matters because it adds another hurdle. Having the source is great, but if it was written in say assembly I still wouldn't touch it because I don't have the time.

10 months later
#10610 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Do people really say that some of the other Spooky's are even better?

I do. Had a mint LE and a mint AMH. I kept the amh. I would like it back at some point, but needed funds at the time and it was easier to replace than my other games.

#10616 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I believe he is referring the 'Limited Edition' of Rob Zombie, which had a different backglass and trim. AMH is America's Most Haunted, which imho is a much better game, even if the artwork isn't as good as RZ. Only 150 were made.

I was, not sure why that was so hard to get? We are in a thread dedicated to Rob zombie and there was an LE.

#10621 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Apologies for being obtuse, i was asking about other titles so assumed you were also talking about other titles in your answer. Hope my stupidity didn't offend you too much and you can still sleep.

No, your droning on is all it takes for anyone to fall asleep reading this.

#10632 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Bear in mind that you have SUBSTANTIALLY modded playfields under that glass. Pretty much all the popular mods installed (I think all you're missing of note is the "Pussy Liquors" sign), which really changes the look for the better. That's not at all what that machine's playfield looked like stock.
The Spooky pin ranking are pretty much the order they've been released (except for the terrible contract ones) in since lessons were learned and incorporated into the next machine on each one.
Alice Cooper
Rob Zombie
America's Most Haunted
Jetsons
Dominos
I haven't played Rick and Morty yet, but I'm assuming it will be either in the #1 or #2 spooky spot for best of their releases.

I think the rankings are probably a bit skewed. The harder it is to find a game the lower in the rankings it is. Even more so if a game does not do well when it first comes out and is on route. I think RZ suffers from this some in its reputation. Jetsons and Dominos are even harder to find and AMH is also one very few have played.

#10636 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I wouldn't entirely agree with this. I'm sure build quality improved, but many of their games were made by entirely different teams and were often developed concurrently. AMH was a prototype made by Ben Heck before Spooky even formed as a company, while RZ was being developed by Charlie. Dominos and Jetsons were contract games and Jetsons was designed outside Spooky by The Pinball Company. Then TnA was designed by Scott Danesi outside of Spooky, but was spruced up and produced by Spooky like AMH was. Meanwhile, ACNC was developed in-house by Charlie like RZ was.
AMH actually seems like a more complicated build than what has been attempted since, with the motorized target bank, motorized cell door, the rotating ghost that tracks the ball, and the Hellevator lock, which is the only time I have seen a lowering scoop shot in the middle of a ramp!

Having torn apart amh and rz, build quality is, poor. Spooky seems to have learned from AMH to RZ. They used good quality materials and then cut massive corners.

If I had to sum up RZ and AMH, double sided tape. The rails are secured by a bolt in the front, and double sided tape. They did not use the bolt in the rear near the head. This is after tearing apart 1 amh, 1 rz, 1 rz le. All the same. RZ the rear ball guide has screw holes, but is held in place with double sided tape. The rear ramp to the vuk has double sided tape, but it looks like later ones have a screw holding it on as well.

AMH is a pain to work on. The game doesn't use posts. It uses screws with sleeves, for everything. This makes taking anything apart a pain because you have multiple levels of sleeves and plastics to get into place. RZ if memory serves got this right. Both have terrible aprons. AMH's is too thin and bends when you lift the playfield. the corners on it dig into the playfield scratching it up. Neither block the ball from falling back into the cabinet or apron. RZ's is just too easy to damage.

Now as for rz being more complicated, they just used servos. Ben heck even stated if he had a do over they would have moved away from it. They are fragile and prone to failure (I have only had to replace one so far on amh). AMH also required a lot more fixes by the community than RZ. S

#10637 3 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Where did you purchase your red Rob Zombie speaker grills? They look great on the machine in that all black area.

These?

http://www.kimballspinballs.com/spooky-pinball/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 20.00
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-spook-show-international?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.