image (resized).jpg
RZ Glass (resized).png
Pinside_forum_8038068_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_6813 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7429 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #6177 Spooky mentions game #3! Posted by SpookyCharlie (7 years ago)

Post #6605 Gameplay and rules video from Spooky Pinball Posted by Jetzxi (7 years ago)

Post #7268 V019 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (7 years ago)

Post #7366 Common trough issue caused by flipper switch description Posted by snakesnsparklers (7 years ago)

Post #9017 V21 Changelog Posted by GhostThruster (6 years ago)

Post #9409 V22 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (6 years ago)

Post #10228 V23 / v24 changelogs Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#72 8 years ago

I was totally expecting we'd see a reveal of the game at the announcement. Hope it's coming soon before I have to commit...

#117 8 years ago

So, I had never heard of this (it looks like a few here had), but Spookshow International was also a comic book series by RZ. It looks like it's an anthology of 'tales of terror', hosted by Captain Spaulding. Could this be what the game is based on?

http://www.prickmag.net/spookshowfeature.html

#146 8 years ago

Hate to say it, but I don't think anyone but AMH owners will get a shot at the LE. I got a response back within minutes when I emailed yesterday morning. Even being an owner, it's kind of crazy that I may have missed out on the LE if I wasn't following the scarce details leaking out from the seminar and took it upon myself to inquire with KT.

#204 8 years ago

A lot of craziness over the LE. We don't even know what it will look like yet. I'm going with what ends up looking the best to me, so there's always a chance of more LE's becoming available if people in line pass on the design. The entire run for this machine is less than just about any of the arbitrary Stern LE's, so just try to get on board the train and let the chips fall where they may.

#393 8 years ago

I was also expecting them to email AMH buyers in order to fill the RZ spots and I was caught off guard by the email free for all, especially after Pinside was down for hours the night of the announcement and not a lot of details from the seminar were available. Maybe they are still honoring requests based on the AMH order number?

Having said that, I don't think there's any issue with the number of units being built or the proposed (very fair) deposit/payment system, considering Spooky's capacity at this point. I am pretty impressed with what they have been able to do and will continue to support them. Keep on doing what you're doing, Charlie!

#394 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I asked awhile back and was told I was in the high 90s. I don't think they are numbered machines, just what your number is in the Order of leaving, but I could be wrong.

The games do have a serial number inside the cabinet and it is the order of their build.

#585 8 years ago

Well, there was no bash toy in the old layout and we've already heard something about Captain Spaulding bash toy being in the redesign. That sounds like a little more than a tweak unless it's just tacked on. I really hope Spooky came up with a way to make it all work well together. Only time will tell.

#677 8 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

My understanding is that these machine don't begin production until January 2016 (barring obstacles).....and then they need to make 300 of them. You could possibly be waiting until 2018 for a machine.

Zardoz speaks! The deposit is good... the wait is evil.

#741 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Hopefully Expo.

Wow, I thought the reveal was right around the corner. I guess I can stop checking for updates several times a day.

3 months later
#1212 8 years ago

I'm seriously wondering how the LE backglass is going to top that. It's freakin' perfect! This is going to be a game worth buying based on artwork alone.

3 weeks later
#1400 8 years ago

Yea, I hope there are emails and not just a mad dash, first-come-first-served to get your money down after some post on pinside or reveal at a show. I almost missed getting on the list in the first place because I didn't realize they had started taking names.

#1404 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

There is a list of 700 people on the waiting list. If you have asked to be on the list, then you will be contacted in order.

Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I'm assuming when the reveal happens it won't just be a rush to "SEND MONEY NOW". Spooky will likely give people a bit of time to think it over and then email in order of the list to collect the money.

I'm assuming the same... As far as I know, I'm down for an LE. I got AMH #11 and emailed the morning after the RZ announcement. I can't imagine what it would take for me to pass on this after the reveal. Hell, I can't imagine what it would take for me to not buy each and every Spooky title as they are released. I'm a fan of Spooky Pinball!

1 month later
#1983 8 years ago

Damn, I can't check my email and so far I have only got to check out the video on a tiny screen. I need this workday to end asap!

#2056 8 years ago

I just got confirmation that I'm in on an LE! I think that overall the game looks great and i'm not even all that big of a RZ fan. I'm going to have to agree that the backglass and cabinet are probably the best I've ever seen on any game ever, less so the playfield. I love the blood spattered apron! I can imagine this will look stunning all lit up in a gameroom. Was it ever mentioned what color the armor will be on the LE?

As far as having to put money down before seeing the game in action, I figure this is about the same as what people go through to get a Stern LE. The benefit here is really that Spooky's model encourages a healthy secondary market with their machines. If you end up not liking the game, you'll just make another collector's day.

#2163 8 years ago

I've watched the video a handful of times in slow motion to get a better understanding of the shots. The more I am noticing, the more I like it. This really is a creative layout and I could see it being a lot of fun with the right rules. One thing I can't figure out though, if the right orbit takes the ball to the upper playfield, where does the left orbit shot go?

Anyway, huge congrats to Charlie. This really his first game and it must be badass finally getting to put his creation out there, not to mention getting to do it all with RZ along for the ride. You did it, man!

#2182 8 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Right returns to the left flipper, left goes to upper playfield... or does it?!

Nice! So it looks like there is actually an inner loop AND an outer loop, with some possible diversions. Looking forward to seeing the gameplay.

#2235 8 years ago

I'm in either way, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to see something more done with the playfield art. It seems like it would be such a relatively easy thing to improve and it's really the only thing holding this game back from being a total WOW in every category. I'm sure approvals for changes are harder than the changes themselves. Maybe if everything else wasn't so over the top awesome, it wouldn't stand out so much, but it just so happens... It wouldn't even have to be a complete redesign or anything, just some added details like maybe even the logo somewhere or a change to the scale of some things. Having said that, if the current playfield art is truly the vision Charlie had for the game, I can roll with it.

#2576 8 years ago

So what would be the real benefit to getting the LE if the translite was readily available? If it's just the armor, I'm not sure that's enough. This isn't a Stern where the gameplay is different from the LE to the standard. The translite is at least 80% of the reason to plunk down for the LE on this, for me.

#2787 8 years ago

The lighting has definitely come a long way since AMH. It looks like the GI is now controlled and it looks great. The way the backboard throws the light out over the playfield is a plus too. The dmd I think has also made the 'wow factor' list. Shot wise, this game seems to have a lot of what I like in a pin and is a unique blend of new and old ideas. The video just made me more thrilled to be on board.

#2998 8 years ago

I got the impression that the apron in the video was just a mockup. It sure looked like metal in the teaser photo and AMH had a metal apron.

#3136 8 years ago

I got LE #24. ...and the art on a game matters to me.

ghostbusters_concept_playfield_large_wallpaper.jpgghostbusters_concept_playfield_large_wallpaper.jpg

#3194 8 years ago

There are inserts being added above the gravestone, so some changes are taking place that will help break up the pf artwork a little.

2 weeks later
#3606 8 years ago

Ok, I'm still confused on this whole translite thing. If both translites are available to everyone, then what's the $500 extra for the LE getting you? The term 'backglass' keeps coming up. Are we talking about a *real* backglass or a laminated pseudo-backglass like AMH uses? It's also an issue where if an LE owner wants to get a standard translite, they wouldn't be able to just drop it in. They would have to get custom glass cut and possibly more.

I haven't even heard the details on the LE siderails or other extras yet, so I can't speak on the value I would personally apply to those. I honestly hadn't even given them much thought, because I thought the main reason I was paying a premium was for the limited artwork...

#3636 8 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Betelgeuse seems to simply be asking what he is getting for spending an extra $500.00, not to mention that it was supposed to be a "thank you" to the original supporters of Spooky. I personally fail to see how that makes him a "whiner or complainer". We haven't really seen any benefits to the LE so far other than the backglass (or is it a translite) and now it looks like it's available for everyone to purchase.

This. Sorry if it makes me a 'whiner' because I would like to know what i'm buying. I know this is pinside where some people don't care.

1 week later
#3824 8 years ago

I met Tom a few times. He used to date a girl that worked next door to the game store I used to work at. He was a fan of classic arcade games at the time. I think I was the only one around that recognized him, so I was always tripping over myself to help him out.

1 week later
#4053 8 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

I am not a huge Rob Zombie fan, but I am a huge fan of the pinball machines, and company that Charlie and his team have created. My AMH has become the go to game in my arcade.

Same here. If it wasn't Spooky, I wouldn't be nearly as interested. I'm a huge fan of horror movies, but consider RZ's films to be pretty low on the scale. I listened to White Zombie in high school, but Hellbilly Deluxe is the only solo album i've even heard. Still, this is a coveted combination of horror and pinball being made by a company I am proud to support.

2 weeks later
#4201 8 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Since production is so close, any ETA on when we will see the final touches for the LE games?

I'd love to hear these details too. I thought we would have seen them by now with production right around the corner, but I can understand that Charlie must be extremely busy at the moment.

2 weeks later
#4264 8 years ago

That looks so much better. So simple, but it's just enough to brake up the negative space that's right where your eyes seem to focus.

#4270 8 years ago

No, the LE details have always been very vague. I still have no real idea of what to expect aside from that the siderails will be different. That could mean a different design or just a different color powder coat. Not sure how the backglass differs from the translite being sold either.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
3 weeks later
#4355 8 years ago

Hmmmm... where have I seen that topper art before...

spook-show-1_(resized).jpgspook-show-1_(resized).jpg

#4423 8 years ago

If the airballs are really that serious, then this is something that needs to be addressed outside of code. You don't want airballs destroying your playfield, plastics and toys.

1 month later
#4596 8 years ago

So, is there something else different about the toys other than LEDs added in? The robot 'just sits there' without the upgrade? Also, what LEDs does the game come with if you don't upgrade, all white again?

#4609 8 years ago

That's also all white LEDs vs insert-matched color LEDs. Are white LEDs still going in RZ?

1 week later
#4682 7 years ago

For anyone else who was thinking about doing this... I verified that it is not possible to split up the BackAlley mods. I was considering just getting the robot, but it's all 3 or nothing. I ended up getting all of the upgrades. I figured I'd pass it on here. I had to decide before the deadline because my LE is already being assembled.

2 weeks later
#4859 7 years ago

I thought the backglass was limited to the LE and the standards had a translite too. If the standard has a backglass too and both artwork versions are up for grabs, whats special about the LE?

#4872 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's just Spooky trying to do something nice for the early adopters with AMH. Kudos to them and taking care of people.

Why complain and whine about the extra $500? It's a F ing "LE".

Meaning "Limited", as in only 50 made, meaning you'll be able to get your extra $500 back out of it AND then some.

Really? Why can't we know exactly what is being included with each version? I don't think that's too much to ask and apparently I'm not the only one who misunderstood. Every time there's a freakin' question on here it's 'whining'. Gimme a break.

#4881 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Because people complain about adding the LED's and other upgrades for a few hundred bucks. Talking about "drilling your own holes".

And its questions with innuendo that somehow somebody is getting F ed.

Why not just happily support Spooky and give the teeth gnashing a rest?

I'd like to know the person dumb enough to trade the "LE" for a "Regular" for $500. You are really just pissed because regulars are getting something similar like the back glass. Give me a break! The pettiness is unreal sometimes. And btw, I'm not referring to you in particular.

Enjoy your pins.

While obviously I agree with supporting Spooky, I still like to be informed. We all know you are the type of guy who throws money at things without asking questions, but that's not how everyone is. I don't go gaga over an LE *just* because it's an F'n LE. Maybe I would sell my LE to get a standard as I honestly like both backglasses.

#4902 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

My brother bought a TOM from you a couple years ago, and he told me how cool your setup is.

I had no idea that was your bro! If you guys are ever in the area, feel free to hit me up to play some games.

1 week later
#5003 7 years ago

I got my email for #24 the other day.

1 week later
#5098 7 years ago

I got the notice that #24 ships tomorrow.

1 week later
#5189 7 years ago

I got #24 setup last night right next to my AMH. The game looks stunning in person. That cabinet art puts my other machines to shame.

#5203 7 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

My opto on the upper P/F at Cpt Spaulding doesn't appear operative. Or semi operative. It's strange. In switch edge test mode, the switch shows as the 2nd most right column, 3rd switch from the bottom, but there is no text nor audio to indicate it's made. It will flash with finger or ball in the matrix indicator, but that's all. During game play it never registers, so currently, I've never seen Spaulding move. Servo works fine in test mode.

Same here. The only way I know Spaulding works is from running the servo test. There doesn't seem to be any in game indication that he is being hit or otherwise activated. I figured maybe he was only active at certain times... There really needs to be an audio and/or visual queue for every switch in the game, whether it's active or not.

1 week later
#5328 7 years ago

The apron is metal with a plastic cover.

2 weeks later
#5508 7 years ago

Is it safe to install the rev8 code now?

#5511 7 years ago

Cool, I wasn't sure if it was 'final' beta for rev8 yet.

#5542 7 years ago

I am hoping that the positioning and geometry of the sling shots and inlanes/outlanes will be changed slightly for Spooky's next game so that a fix like CHOP isn't needed to progress through the game.

1 week later
#5641 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Don't forget to set the switch speed to fast in the game menus on version 8. It's not set by default, it greatly improves gameplay.

Thanks - I didn't realize this wasn't set to fast by default. It makes such a huge difference on my machine.

#5643 7 years ago
Quoted from haunted1:

what setting needs to be set to fast, looked through the menu but wasn't sure what setting needed to adjust speed things up.

It's the 'POP-SLNG SPD' setting in the main settings.

1 month later
#6001 7 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

Profit potential is just too great, under priced machine from the factory and many saw upside and never planned on keeping in the first place.

Was it truly under priced? I don't think many people realize that a fully upgraded LE was over $7k shipped. That's over $1k more than AMH. A handful of machines selling on the secondary market is very different from selling out an entire run from the factory.

2 months later
#6708 7 years ago

My robot servo failed at around 170 plays.

1 month later
#7066 7 years ago

Have you looked into just turning the backbox sideways instead of removing it entirely? I have got through small doorways doing this many times.

1 year later
#9936 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I don't think 2 years is unreasonable to expect finished code, especially one of the major modes (reverse flipper infection) that was a marketing teaser early on and one of the reasons I bought in.

I think the issue here is that the Pinheck board doesn't support flipper control as well as was expected. This was an issue on AMH as well. The Doctor ghost mode originally had a 'thing flip/phantom flip' it did with the left flipper that was causing the same 3 amp fuse to blow. Ben eventually removed this feature from the code.

2 years later
#10615 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Assuming AMH is America's Most Haunted, but can't see what LE may be in the list.

I believe he is referring the 'Limited Edition' of Rob Zombie, which had a different backglass and trim. AMH is America's Most Haunted, which imho is a much better game, even if the artwork isn't as good as RZ. Only 150 were made.

#10633 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I would tend to agree with ranking them in order of most current first.
Games keep getting better as Spooky grows as a company.

I wouldn't entirely agree with this. I'm sure build quality improved, but many of their games were made by entirely different teams and were often developed concurrently. AMH was a prototype made by Ben Heck before Spooky even formed as a company, while RZ was being developed by Charlie. Dominos and Jetsons were contract games and Jetsons was designed outside Spooky by The Pinball Company. Then TnA was designed by Scott Danesi outside of Spooky, but was spruced up and produced by Spooky like AMH was. Meanwhile, ACNC was developed in-house by Charlie like RZ was.

AMH actually seems like a more complicated build than what has been attempted since, with the motorized target bank, motorized cell door, the rotating ghost that tracks the ball, and the Hellevator lock, which is the only time I have seen a lowering scoop shot in the middle of a ramp!

#10642 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Having torn apart amh and rz, build quality is, poor. Spooky seems to have learned from AMH to RZ. They used good quality materials and then cut massive corners.

Good to know, but I wasn't really responding about build quality so much as the overall ranking of the Spooky games. Several people stated that the more recent the better, in the order of release. This would make AMH the worst game from Spooky, which is just laughable.

#10648 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

AMH is better than Jetsons and Dominoes, hands down. It gets less clear cut with AMH and RZ, but RZ had more/better assets and better cabinet and backglass art, so I think it still gets the edge.

I know neither RZ or AMH are particularly popular games, but I much prefer AMH. I agree on the artwork, but RZ is almost entirely standup targets, which I don't find all that fun to shoot. The only unique target is Captain Spaulding and he's a fairly under-utilized bash toy. AMH on the other hand, is loaded with unique features, has more shot variety, and much better code. FWIW, I was a pre-order buyer of both games.

#10650 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I was surprised I enjoyed AMH as much as I did, and it does have a lot of cool little features. That art is really ugly, though. I haven't played Rick and Morty yet, but the one thing that drives me nuts about all the Spooky machines is the geometry of a fair number of the shots seems to be just a bit off, and they don't seem to have enough switches so they know where the ball is all the time. Alice Cooper, especially, is ridiculous with the ball saves.

But, at least you can see a progression of improvement from machine to machine. They're getting there.

Agreed and I'm sure they will get there. They could really use a seasoned playfield designer to at least act as a consultant or something. It's awesome to see their artwork improve so much and I'm always looking forward to what they put out next. Still holding my breath for a straight up horror title from them! (no parody, no band license)

Also, I just bought a Metallica mod from your shop.

9 months later
#10891 2 years ago
Quoted from Diamond:

I’m going to replace with new balls and give it a try. The problem seems to have been happening when I get to red hot multi ball.

I have seen the unlimited ball save thing happen on games with the pinheck board, usually during multiballs. This can be caused by a switch being wired backwards somewhere. When the switch is triggered, it triggers multiple switches. If any of the trough switches are being triggered, the ball save timer never times out. This is more common on early Spooky games than it sounds like it would be. It's been a while since I had a RZ. If there a switch that is being closed specific the the modes you are seeing the issue on, that is where I'd start looking. Go into the switch test and try tripping some switches and make sure multiple switches aren't closing anywhere. Just something else to consider.

1 year later
#11026 1 year ago
Quoted from emkay:

I get what you're saying, but they cost $200 extra ($240 after 5/9/16) on the standard edition and would be difficult to add to a game ordered without them. I was only asking if the LEs all came with them or not.

FWIW, I checked my invoice and the premium LEDs were an additional $80 and the plastic protectors were $20.

To answer your question, the LEDs in the chicken bucket, robot eyes, and boombox were not included with the LE. These were an extra cost option for both models.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 210.00
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-spook-show-international?tu=betelgeuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.