Topic Stats

• 10,502 posts
  • 602 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by KingPinGames
  • Topic is favorited by 102 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,193 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

50EAF020-4CD8-4119-9427-F544C9EF38B0 (resized).jpeg
5DEFF28A-B529-4D16-A30F-1A4C5F68DDB9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3858 (resized).jpg
IMG_3857 (resized).jpg
IMG_3856 (resized).jpg
20191005_213740 (resized).jpg
20191005_213729 (resized).jpg
20191005_221951 (resized).jpg
20191005_221631 (resized).jpg
20191005_221713 (resized).jpg
20191005_221535 (resized).jpg
20191004_231821 (resized).jpg
20191004_230221 (resized).jpg
20191004_225937 (resized).jpg
20191004_225047 (resized).jpg
20190926_165833 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #6177 Spooky mentions game #3! Posted by SpookyCharlie (3 years ago)

Post #6605 Gameplay and rules video from Spooky Pinball Posted by Jetzxi (3 years ago)

Post #7268 V019 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (2 years ago)

Post #7366 Common trough issue caused by flipper switch description Posted by snakesnsparklers (2 years ago)

Post #9017 V21 Changelog Posted by GhostThruster (2 years ago)

Post #9409 V22 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (2 years ago)

Post #10228 V23 / v24 changelogs Posted by snakesnsparklers (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Sounds like hand drawn art.

Literally. Meaning no computer, he has an assistant to handle the scanning, he's working with real mediums. I can't wait to see the final art myself.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

I highly doubt, they are going to rework Charlies zombie pin. Charlies knows that design was dead in the water.

Actually that's exactly what they are doing. Charlie and I had talked very early on in this project's development about me maybe being involved, and honestly it was that game's layout and philosophy that stopped us going further together, I just wasn't feeling it.

Since then Charlie has realized that the game really did need to be reworked, and while I haven't seen the new version I know about a lot of the changes, and it sounds like they're really trying to address the problems. More flow, less of an "old school" feel.

Can't wait to see how the whole thing comes together.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't like when "old school" is used as an excuse for 2nd rate. Same thing was said about Predator by skit-b.

It was really true in this case though. Was going to be alphanumeric displays. Physical ball locks. No auto launcher. Not ramp heavy. More random action. Simpler rules.

It's evolved since then. But I think old school was accurate.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Physical ball locks are old-school?

They are when combined with no autoplunger. So you only get multiball from actual locks, and there's no ball save. What was the last game to do that? White Water?

Modern multiball tends to be pretty different, for better or for worse. Old school doesn't = bad, just an older way of doing things.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Absence of physical ball locks is also "old school" , Balls a poppin' , and Centaur to name a few .

Haha, Balls A Poppin' is a fun game. Centaur is definitely an interesting once, it didn't have exactly an autolauncher in the modern sense, but it was definitely ahead of its time.

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Wait a second. This is about a comic book? Does that mean we don't have to hear Rob Zombie "music"? Or is that part of the deal?
-mof

Come on man. A) No need to insult the music when there are obviously fans here. B) The most basic reading or watching would tell you exactly what songs are in the pin, so what kind of question is that? Keep up!

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

When I played it (ZFBTG) at Allentown 2 years ago, I stopped playing after a couple of shots realizing that it was a total turd not exciting at all to me.

I played it 2 years ago in my imagination and it was awesome!

#190 4 years ago

The LE was designed as a thank you to AMH buyers. Anyone had time to get in on AMH, so I think it's more than fair.

#195 4 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

But what if all 150 AMH buyers want an LE? Or what if 51 want an LE?
What if someone that signs up for the LE wants the non LE art after the designs are unveiled?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, that's just life I guess. That's the nature of a limited edition, someone has to miss out or it's not actually limited. Since it won't change the gameplay in any way I think it just is what it is.

We haven't even seen the art difference yet.

#319 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Oh also when does Robin officially add this game to the list so it can be tagged?

I would hope after the entire game has been revealed at the very least. We've had enough of these unknown concepts existing in an "official" capacity IMHO.

Spooky is discovering that they have something hotter than they maybe realized. Obviously we haven't seen it yet, so let's not get too excited here, but my guess has always been that they'll not be able to meet demand. I'm sure Charlie's vision for this game is different than mine, but when I pitched it as a theme a couple years back or whenever that thread was I saw it as being something big enough that Stern could do it.

This is very much boutique pinball, but a small company. It's not going to be perfect or make everyone happy. Just how it goes.

#439 4 years ago

I know this is Charlie's game, not mine, but in my original idea for a Rob Zombie pin the music was just a nice bonus. I didn't actually see it as a "band" pin. And it seems like from Rob's response to Spooky's first idea that was much more literally band oriented that he feels the same way.

My semi-educated take: It's a horror pin, featuring some cool iconic characters from the world of Rob Zombie, that has his music as a soundtrack.

So I get it, White Zombie is more popular, blah blah, but to me it's frankly all the same. Metal rock, with Rob Zombie on vocals. I like all his music, but I don't even own any of it, just have a giant Spotify playlist that has White Zombie and Rob Zombie stuff all mixed together, I just play it on shuffle when I'm working on pins. It's good music to shop out pins to, or test fit mods, etc.

What's exciting to me isn't any specific song, it's bad ass metal art, the horror theme, and Rob Effing Zombie's bad ass vocals on custom callouts. He's a long time musical pro and a director, so I'm confident he's going to kill his takes in the booth. No limp dick Karl Urban callouts (sorry man, your callouts sucked, they had all the emotional warmth of a lukewarm tuna sandwich).

So not to be overly reasonable about all this, but maybe wait until you see the art to even worry about which one you're getting. Since there is literally no other difference (I guess some armor, that for the LE price difference you could just pay to have your armor done in any freaking color you want).

All I care about at this point in the gameplay. I'm on the list for one, but it's gotta play well. I respect the hell out of Charlie, and he knows it, but I also didn't hide the fact that the original Pinball Zombies layout wasn't working for me. It's been tweaked, and I know how, but until I at least see some gameplay footage the jury is out.

Luckily Charlie is a solid dude who doesn't want anyone to spend a dime before they get to see that stuff.

Frankly given how few slots are left I think you're crazy if you're at all interested in this to not get in now before the art is revealed. Because I think there's likely to be a rush for the last ones after that. It's not a stupid pre-order, just a "fair as we can manage" system. Works for me.

FFS, les whining and belly-aching! More bad ass metal babes! (It's horny juvenile adolescent fantasy shit, and I love it.)

ALEX MOTHER FUNKING HORLEY IN THE HOUSE

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Please , please , please have art like that! : )

I haven't seen the art, but just saying, this is what the guy does. Marked images with bare nipples as NSFW.

horley003.jpgFrankVSdinos.jpghorley20070807.jpgPurgatori_3.jpg

#444 4 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I love juvenile adolescent fantasy shit. Really.

I hope I'm never too old to love it!

#448 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Again, when Rob requested Alex, I thought... "oh crap, there goes the license. We'll never be able to get that guy". We did, and I'm still shocked and amazed.

20X better than that hack you were first pondering!

#473 4 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Even though I emailed the day after it was announced, the more "stoked" I get about the game, the more I worry the "list" could have possibly already been long enough to keep me from having the actual chance to buy it (considering the percent of AMH customers that jumped on it out of 150...then the many more that might have gotten in early).

Have you heard back that you're on the list from KT yet? If not double check that they got your email, you should get a reply. I talked to Charlie in the last day or two and there were still slots left, just filling up fast.

I think there's still time for anyone to get in on this now, once the art is revealed my guess is interest will spike, and the rest will vanish.

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

Can anybody put out a pinball that's done before taking money am I on another planet

Since Spooky hasn't asked for any money I'm guessing you're in the wrong thread.

#506 4 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

Probably been said but I'm surprised by the 300 limit. Seems like a game they could really make a profit in if done right. I could see them selling double that.

I could see them selling triple that. But the catch is they can't actually *build* triple that.

Remember, Spooky is a small operation, not Stern. They aren't pumping out 30 games a week. They need to keep their build numbers realistic. Inevitably someone will want this and not be able to get it. That's just how it goes, if it's a dream theme then get on the list now, instead of waiting.

#517 4 years ago

It's 300 games, you can get on the list right now without putting down a dime, so if you don't end up with one it's really because you didn't want it badly enough to take a little initiative. Spooky isn't some giant company that can announce something and then have one you can buy off the shelf the next week. It is what it is.

They've proved they can ship actual games. Rob Zombie himself filmed a video to announce the pinball, there's no license questions. You only put up a fraction of the cash before your game is built. It's just the best case scenario for what is still a very small boutique operation. Nothing else to be done about it.

People will drop out, that's just the nature of this stuff. Hell it's one reason I think a $1000 deposit is smart, people are fickle that way when they have nothing on the line. You can probably get in later if you're lucky.

#523 4 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I think buyers have to pony up $1000 once the art package is revealed, not once the pin is revealed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Whole game. No money down until you see what you're buying. As it should be!

#526 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I know nothing about purchasing a license. Why are licenses "timed?" I'm wondering if someone can someone elaborate on that. Seems like with a factory situation -- that that is quite the hinderance/constraint. If one wanted to extend the license to a longer term, does that mean more $$$ ? Is not something that can be extended later on?
-mof

Yes, licenses are generally timed. There are different terms and details for each one, but here's how a license might look:

You approach say a movie studio, and say "hey, we make pinball machines, and we like your movie Chainsaw Hookers, and think it would make a great pin, let's talk". They're game.

The deal might be something like you pay an up front fee for the license, say $30k. That gets you in the door, and you can then work out the details of using their style guide and assets etc.

The license will be for a time period, say 2 years. During that time you can manufacture as many games as you want, paying a licensing fee on each one (in addition to the lump sum you paid). Once the license period is up you have to stop. At that point yes, you can negotiate extending the license. The terms of which will be up to the situation. If the game is selling well the studio might be happy to just extend it and keep getting those fees. They might ask for another $30k for another 2 years. They could say "that property no longer represents the brand, we don't wish to renew it". All depends.

Keep in mind that having the license for Chainsaw Hookers (they charge you an arm and a leg!) doesn't mean you have the rights to the actor likenesses and voice recordings. On an old film like that it won't be written into their contract, you're going to have to approach them separately to work out a deal. They're going to have restrictions about how they want to be portrayed. No hand drawings, only this single approved PR photo. Not next to this other actor they hate. No guns, the actor is anti-gun. Whatever.

You may not have the rights to the music either. Could be an entire different company you have to negotiate with.

It can get complicated.

#529 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Wait, are you saying there is no deposit due until game is available to play?

Good question. I guess it depends on where the final game is revealed. If it's at a show or party where you could play it that would be cool. Hopefully it's at Expo.

Also, my example was just a random movie off the top of my head, but you have to admit, this would make a great Spooky game!

Chainsaw Hookers!

#536 4 years ago

They're making 300. Don't like it? Life is full of things you can't control, might as well get used to it.

#553 4 years ago

All this talk of 300 games is boring. It's a limited edition, it's not gonna change because you think you know better than Charlie, just let it go. Find something else to talk about. Like what the art might look like! What about Pinball Zombies *did* you like? Chuck wants a game with some wicked randomness if you miss a show, the ball is wild. If the rest of the layout works that's not a bad thing!

5d75bbe9ab8d6fffb8b012cc99903c54.jpgtumblr_moeclk4M871rg9i0ho3_1280.jpg

#556 4 years ago

Hmm, are you saying you've seen the art already and it's boobalicious?

#565 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Thats my problem with the game...if it's pinball zombie's layout I'm out. Do not dig that layout at all. If it's tweaked I'm afraid that won't be enough. If it's a new layout, we'll see...anxious to see this game!

It's not a new layout. It's a tweaked Pinball Zombies. I'm waiting to see how it plays, but don't expect something different from that, because that's what it is.

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Sorry I didn't realize I used that word so often . From here on I shall refer to it as "Theme"

I apologize if I'm explaining the joke, but the word is "title" and you keep writing "tittle" which makes it sound like "tits".

Quoted from robertmee:

I understand spooky wanting to inject some randomness into the game and punishment for bad shots but of the three balls plunged in that video there were a total of seven touches before a drain...that's not even enough time to make a bad shot.
I'm hoping for maybe a drop bank in between those bumpers or a bash toy...if it's left wide open with the ability of the pops to send balls toward the slings for outlane drains or sdtm then imo Spooky will have squandered a great theme and taken a step back from AMH.

This is the $1000 question.

I don't agree with the notion that there are no new layouts, and just copy some other one and retheme it. Charlie wants to make something different, that's part of the whole point of doing all the work to have your own pinball company, and I respect that.

The problem is it's not enough to just be "different". There's a reason why so many games feel similar, and that's because it's challenging to do new ideas and layouts that work.

When Charlie and I first talked about this game I expressed my reservations for the layout, I'm not saying anything here I didn't already tell him privately. At the time we just didn't see eye to eye on it. And it's his game, so that's fine.

I definitely wasn't the only one telling him these things, and he's tweaked it based on the feedback. There will be some more flow to it than before, more shots that return to the flippers. But it's also not going to be radically different, so that's my whole question now, is it changed enough to work for me? I haven't played it, but I do know what's changed, and it's not a ton, definitely tweaks not a full on redesign.

I'm keeping an open mind, and I'm excited to see more. But I definitely won't hesitate to drop out if the game doesn't feel fun. Awesome art and supporting a pinball company that's doing things in a true and honest way are great things, but I buy pinballs to play them, so that's my primary consideration.

#587 4 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Well, there was no bash toy in the old layout and we've already heard something about Captain Spaulding bash toy being in the redesign. That sounds like a little more than a tweak unless it's just tacked on. I really hope Spooky came up with a way to make it all work well together. Only time will tell.

I guess it's all semantics. The layout is essentially the same, with some tweaked shots so that there's more flow, and there are more toys, but the original PZ game was going to have toys that weren't on the prototype anyways as I recall.

As I said, open mind. I'll wait to judge until I see how it all works. I haven't seen it, just going off what I've talked with Charlie about.

#613 4 years ago

I did the bulk of design, Ben of course has his fingerprints in the game, and Dennis Nordman helped us with the upper playfield. Basically Dennis makes sure we don't screw it up royally.
Ben was the one who convinced me to add some more flow (with an assist to Aurich, who did have valid points). I can be stubborn, but Ben knows how to get through to me and get me to admit when I'm wrong. I like games that take chances and are different. I also understand you can't be TOO different, or the masses will shun the game play.
If 300 people like this game, then perfect! That's what we needed to make this successful.

You're doing great man, don't sweat it. You're sure a stubborn SOB, but what the hell is the point of running your own pinball company if you can't stick to your guns!?

I don't always agree with you, or Ben for that matter (though Ben and I tend to see eye to eye pretty well) but I respect the hell out of Spooky. You look at all the failed businesses, broken promises, and just outright bullshit, and then you look at the scrappy people who just did whatever it took and got things done. No one can take that away from you.

Even with all that this thread is living proof that you can't make everyone happy. So it goes. Making everyone happy means compromising and watering down until no one can find fault, and even these some pissant will be contrary just because it's their nature.

Make 300 games. Someone doesn't like it? Too f***ing bad. Don't want to email for a spot with no obligation? Deal with it. Don't like how the game plays? Don't buy it.

Charlie, I told you when we parted ways on this game (and thank goodness, you got a killer artist for this, I can't hold a candle to what he's doing for you) that I was still happy to help you out. Nothing has changed. You're doing great work here, and I know the whining isn't gonna affect you, but I'm still gonna say it, ignore the whining. Do your thing!

I'm in on this game. If I drop out because it's not right for me, I'm still confident it's going to sell out no problem.

#622 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

so it has an upper playfield you say? what else does it have?

3 flippers.

#628 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

It sure is a good thing they took the time and consumed resources to properly label the left and right flippers for me. I can see how that could be confusing.

I know you're being snarky, but there is actually a good reason for those labels existing.

It's a 4 flipper game, so you need to make sure you're being clear when you're talking with someone which flipper you mean. The main ones are called left and right, and then the top ones are 3 and 4. You only have to remember two numbers, and can just use normal terms for ones you'll be talking about the most.

It's diagramed that way so anyone can follow along if someone is talking about it. No confusion when someone says "then hit the ramp with the left flipper and then tap off flipper 3 when it loops around" (totally made that up).

Anyways, why it's labeled that way, carry on!

#645 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

You guys keep making it sound like a no obligation pre-order, but it's simply not the case. Once artwork is revealed, buyers are obligated to put money down without being able to try it first for fear of losing a spot.

Not the artwork, the game. And yes, you might not get a chance to play it first. Just like everyone who bought a Kiss based on just the photos.

#650 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Very cool and made by one of my best friends...Fred Olen Ray. That's Michelle on the cover... I used her in my Vampire Vixens film...just saw her a few months ago.

That's awesome Ted. For whatever reason the tagline for that one (they charge an arm and a leg) stuck in my head every since I saw it in Fangoria as a wayward youth.

#653 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Sure, there's a little bit of risk as you have to put $1000 in before playing one but chances are that risk will be worth it.

Personally $1000 is the edge of my "F it" threshold. More than that and I'm gonna balk at putting it down with too much uncertainty.

But $1000 and under? Sure, it's money, I'd rather not lose it. But if I do, well, that's life. I'm not gonna throw it away, but for a company like Spooky, who has a real track record, and people I know and believe in behind it? With real character and principles that have been on display for a long time? I'm in for that.

I bailed on TBL. Before "Phil Gate". And not because I didn't think Dutch Pinball would deliver, I did then, I still do. I just couldn't take the stress of it, having that kind of money down and waiting was not fun. I'm in pinball to have a good time, not feel stressed out and anxious.

I guess that's what I'm saying, $1000 is under my anxiety threshold.

#656 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yes, but will they be sitting on my $1,000 for a year? I can understand a couple of months, but anxiety doubles every month after that.

Quite possibly, yes, would be my guess. If that's gonna create anxiety maybe not for you. And I totally understand. If it was more money it sure would for me, I couldn't front the $6k for a year, that's too much. But a grand I can "spend and forget" and just wait out.

I really want to buy 3 ColorDMDs right now. That's $1200. I'll probably wait a bit, been spending pin money lately, but I figure if I can spend that kind of money on mods without worrying about it I can front it for a cool and limited pin.

#672 4 years ago

Do we really need to keep bickering about this? ZenTron, sounds like you want in on the game. Hope you get it. If not, well, you waited a while. But we haven't seen a "interested slots are full" post or anything yet.

Personally I think you're gonna be good until the art is revealed if you want in. After that the fence sitters will rush in since there's little commitment at this point.

And of course if you miss out you'll get another chance, when it comes time to pony up deposits to hold spots there will be drop outs.

Meanwhile Spooky is going to keep doing the best they can. It's a small shop, try and cut them some slack. It's a good problem to have to be surprised that your game is generating more interest than you expected. Let them figure things out.

#696 4 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

It be fine they have a family mode

Maybe the return of the modesty decal?

#725 4 years ago

Did Ben write the script? Is it 15 pages of ball jokes?

#737 4 years ago

I dunno, I'd say there were plenty of oddball jokes.

#745 4 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

All I am saying is that I would appreciate having as much time as possible to evaluate the game.

Sounds great. But what does that mean? You can't expect them to reveal the game, and then have a 30 day period of observation in which they'll take no orders and tour the country.

In an ideal world you'd get a chance to thoroughly play every game before you made a decision. But ask any Stern LE buyer, even the "best" company when it comes to reliably releasing games doesn't offer you that.

#749 4 years ago

It's pretty simple: If you're interested at all sign up, no commitment. Then they'll show the game, and you have time to decide if you want to put a deposit down or bail. They're not even building games for a while, there's time for it to all be worked out.

I bet they just revealed the theme so early because it was already leaking. Might as well control rumors. Art wasn't ready in time, so they couldn't show it.

#771 4 years ago

Crazy... absolutely crazy... I knew we'd do well with this, but yeah, I was WAY under estimating.

I told Ben you'd have no problem moving a 1000 when we first talked about it.

#782 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

You really are starting to get on my nerves with this whole "making good points" and "talking logically with reason and rationale" crap....
Would you stop it with the whole "making sense" jibber-jabber ?

Sorry! I'm just happy this is all going down, it's really an awesome coup for a small shop like Spooky to score all these different things and get to bundle them into a pinball.

I think people are going to be really blown away by reveals to come. So instead of spending time worrying about their numbers etc, if you're at all on the fence sounds like this is the zero hour to get in. Trust me, when more is revealed people are gonna jump in line. Don't be behind all them!

1 week later
#829 4 years ago
Quoted from Street:

Cough cough I heard color dmd.

I heard Ben is going to fly out to your house any time you want to play and put on a puppet show in the empty DMD area.

#832 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Only if you pony up the extra $1000.

Chuck better put a $100 bill validator on the coin door.

#835 4 years ago

I assume it's just a generic Happ door, no?

#839 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I thought it was stated somewhere but now I can't find it ... when is the game reveal planned for? Some upcoming show?

No firm date. The hope is Expo.

#869 4 years ago

The bottom line is who gives a shit?

It's been revealed. You can't take it back. Unless you work for Spooky it's really pointless to worry about it. If you don't want to buy it then don't. If you want to wait and see and risk not getting one then do that. If you're on the list and just anxious to see something then be patient, it will be revealed when it's ready.

Honestly that's all there is to it, the game won't be ready until it's ready. And you know what? Once they show it you've still gotta wait, they're not even done building AMH yet. And probably won't be until 2016. Is what it is.

There's still exciting stuff to be revealed, but in due time.

2 weeks later
#908 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Dumb question .. but what is it? I know Captain Spaulding from the movies ... but wasn't there a Captain Spaulding commercial for fried chicken? Is that what this is supposed to be? A bucket of Captain Spaulding's chicken?

#948 4 years ago

Guys, it's cool to get little insider updates from people who've played a super early whitewood, but just keep in mind that it's a super early whitewood. I wouldn't spend too much energy debating the various merits of anything before it's revealed properly.

And take it from someone who's developing graphics for a high rez pinball display, it's not a trivial task that you go "lol, that's done, now let's start the real work" over.

#955 4 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

you'll be able to see it in-person "probably October".

Hope that means Expo!!

#960 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

depends.. most of them look great, but I get what you mean. It's sort of like when nintendo made that TV adapter for gameboy, and let you colorize it.. but it looked like colored B&W
gameboycolorful[1].jpg

And yet, it's way easier to see at a glance what's going on and where your character is.

I have most of my DMD games with ColorDMDs now. I love them. I'd be totally happy with colored dots on new pins frankly.

1 month later
#1001 4 years ago

I expect the art to be epic. I've heard good things about the toys. The dots are going to be sweet.

The two big questions marks for me are

a) the rules, which are just totally unknown since it's a new programmer

b) the playfield layout

I just wasn't crazy about the Pinball Zombies layout, to put it nicely. Didn't do it for me. They've made some tweaks, question is will they be enough or not?

If the gameplay doesn't match the art then I'm out, it's gotta be both.

#1006 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was told from someones opinion that I value that the value out is WAY improved and very cool. "still unique but a good shooter"

I've heard it's hardly changed at all from Pinball Zombies, Chuck wants to put that game out. So I guess we'll just see. I never shot the original, just watched video of it. If it plays anything like the video I'm dropping out, no matter how great the art looks.

But I'm really hoping that's not the case.

I'm sticking to my guns on all new pins. Too expensive? Over it. Not gonna buy a TBL even though I think it looks incredible. Art shitty? There will be no GOT in my garage. Don't dig the theme? Pass on Kiss. Not fun to play with good rules? Not buying, no matter how nice it looks.

There's a whole world of other pins to play out there, at these new prices you gotta give me everything, or I'm walking away.

As for Expo, it's Terry's party or bust I guess, no Spooky at Expo is what I thought.

#1012 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

he used to be, but now he is a subcontractor (#notanemployee) so he has a specific filter.

Uh.

I've bought one NIB pin in my life, and it was a Stern (Star Trek Premium). After the experience I soured on repeating it. It has nothing to do with me working on Alien.

I'm on the list for Rob Zombie, and I really hope it comes out great, I'm a buyer if so. I'm simply saying that Chuck and I haven't agreed on the vision for the playfield from the start. He told me that he's come around closer to my way of thinking, and it's just a matter of whether or not that's true enough to suck me in or not.

But the point is why would you say you're buying Ghostbusters already? We haven't seen it! We don't even know if it's real. (My sources say yes, who knows though.) It's this mentality of buying things based on nothing but a whisper that builds up the all problems GOT just revealed.

Spooky is doing it right. It's just a list, nothing to commit to until we see the game. I'm just saying, while I'm excited, if it's not right for me I'll pass, even if the art is sweet. That's the reasonable approach IMHO.

#1022 4 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Not even sure how this RZ order process works right now other than names on a list?

The waiting list is about as long as the actual list now I think. I don't know that it's possible to sell your spot.

#1031 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Have any non-AMH people heard back on whether they're on the waiting or interested list?

Sure. I didn't buy AMH and I'm on the RZ interested list.

#1047 4 years ago

You shouldn't buy this game Aurich... the only way you're going to get your vision of what a Rob Zombie game should be is to build yourself a custom.

I'm 100% good with the game not being my vision. I know I made that RZ pitch thread a while ago, but it was just something for fun, I'm not stuck on anything as far as Rob Zombie goes. I'm a fan of his, but not like a super fan or anything. And honestly I think you're probably going to come a lot closer to what I was pitching than Stern would have. You definitely get the soul of it in a way they would never have, I'm sure of that.

Reading my post that you quoted it came off more personal and harsh than I meant it to. I'm excited to try the game. I mean, I haven't seen the tweaks, but beyond that I'm basing all of my impressions off that one old video of someone playing Pinball Zombies. That's not exactly a fair shot.

Yes we added more flow, toys, mechs, and some great other surprises, but... it's still a wild non "fan layout" type of game. If it fails horribly, then so be it... we can make a fan layout game on #3, and at least we took the chance and stuck to my vision for 1 game. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Not the first time, won't be the last.

I'm glad you're not making another fan layout. I can have my own opinions on what you should or shouldn't have done, but at the end of the day who cares, right? It's your company, and your time and sweat, and if you can't see your vision through then what's the point?

I think what Spooky has accomplished is amazing. You should be very proud of the work. I know I have a tremendous amount of respect for it.

If the game isn't right for me then it isn't. But I'm hoping it is.

Edit: Also, for the record, I'm super glad I didn't end up doing the art. Alex Horley is going to make it way more awesome than I could have.

#1050 4 years ago

Lot's to do before Expo time... still keeping our fingers crossed and doing all we can on our end.

Man I heard that!

1 week later
#1068 4 years ago

Really looking forward to seeing more of this game, and that's all I'll say for now!

#1080 4 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

I saw all the posts originally. So what? So something got out, isn't that how the whole reveal of this game started out? I was more curious who just went in and deleted so much without any explanation. At least an edited by so-and-so because of xxx?

Everyone is just protecting the project, don't sweat it.

#1096 4 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Is this not the same approach with Stern? Nobody is tied in to any game until it has been revealed and then you can decide to send it your money or not.

Well we're talking the boutiques here. Stern doesn't have a similar approach, there is no list you can sign up for now to get an LE of a game later. They're first come, first served, no pre-orders. Which is great, they're obviously the big dog here. Chuck is trying to find the middle ground of having customers ahead of time, which a boutique kind of needs, without taking $6000 from people and making them wait a year+. Which we've seen plenty of.

Word from Rob seems good on Facebook, so sounds like RZ is doing great still. Congrats Chuck!

#1114 4 years ago

Quick and dirty adjustment so you can see the design, I hope this is meant to be public, I'll pull this if not. If it's on Facebook though ...

rz.jpg

It looks rad!

#1142 4 years ago

So just a few thoughts:

First off, it looks kick ass. Fits the name perfectly, it's Rob Zombie's deal, with his name big in the logo and his form looming over it all, but it's also a motley collection of characters from various universes, that are all coming together under one umbrella. When combined with the toys I think they're going to all feel cohesive.

Secondly, this is the hand painted art people have been clambering for! Something that doesn't look so photorealistic you might as well have just used the PR headshots with a little filtering instead. It's got style.

It's dark, but still has lots of color, it's not monochromatic.

The new logo (vs the one on the comic book) looks way better, big improvement.

I need to see the gameplay etc still, but stoked about everything that's been revealed so far, Spooky is killing it.

#1178 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I don't even have a desire to buy the game. I just think limiting your earning potential isn't the smartest of business decisions.

Chuck has explained this already, he limited it to 300 because that's what he felt comfortable committing to build. So from his perspective it is smart business, because it's more than just about how much money he could possibly make.

Speaking personally as someone who's on the list to buy one already I wouldn't be upset if they did make more. But from everything Chuck has said that doesn't seem likely right now. And other buyers may not feel the same, some people like owning a limited thing.

#1185 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

It's still under development...

That's the old version, there's a big drop shadow glow around each character and the logo now.

#1206 4 years ago

I'm on the list, and not nervous about it.

#1215 4 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I hope further down the line they make some more AMHs. I don't know why couldn't after a few years and they expand. They are doing it the right way though and slowly building a customer base and a nice catalogue of games.

I hope AMH ends up being their worst game, and they just keep striving for new ideas and making new pins and building on what they learn each time. No reason to look back, look forward.

#1234 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I like translits packed with as much as we can get in them

I like a little visual space to breathe, the "packed" look isn't my favorite. So I have no problems with that corner myself.

#1258 4 years ago

I'm disappointed to not see it at Expo or Terry's, but I'd much rather you took the time to finish it properly first. Showing incomplete work sucks. Even if people are impatient!

(Not that it matters, but I'm on the list for one for the record.)

#1278 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Plus RZ isn't a hard limit of 300 like AMH was. If things go well, he could always extend the contract.

As someone on the list who's hoping the final game is awesome and then will buy it I totally would not mind if he made more than 300. But I can see some bitching from some, so I'd probably clarify that as the policy before it's built, just to avoid any pissed of people.

#1305 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

You can't compliment Spooky for succeeding thus far, and them beg them to make all the mistakes their competition has.

Very well put Ben.

I'm so proud of what Chuck has done. He's the first genuine boutique success in our hobby, where others have failed, and badly. (And Ben is a big part of it too!)

And he's done it his way. And if he succeeds or fails (success please!) it will be on the back of his choices, and how he chose to do business. He cares about his customers, he cares about the people working for him, and he cares about the games.

I think it's great that everyone is so excited about this that they want more. It's a sign that this was a great idea. (Um, hello, called it! ) So Spooky should take it as a compliment.

But that doesn't mean they need your business acumen!

#1320 4 years ago

I'm going over to the Greg Freres appreciation thread... that's MUCH more interesting to me.

I could start a Spooky appreciation thread next!

In fact in my Greg thread I mentioned how I had wrote that open letter to Stern about doing Rob Zombie. I'm so glad they didn't, and that Spooky is doing it instead. I can't think of a more perfect match. The stories you told at your Expo talk about working with Rob just felt so right.

Being a man of your word means something to me. I'm on the list for RZ. Whether I buy one or not I have nothing but respect for Chuck.

#1350 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

No, but perhaps a custom 3d printed version of your dog on the playfield because ya know, that's what people are really clamoring for.

Next license confirmed! The Spooky Dog Show: Complete the dog training modes for the Purina Wizard Mode!

IMG_7440-NDS-ring630mk112211.jpg

#1376 4 years ago

I'm really looking forward to this reveal, and I was of course hoping to see it at Expo. But I'd much rather Chuck took his time, and showed a finished game. You only get one shot at a reveal.

And that's exactly what he's doing. Because Spooky is really starting to mature as a business. And I think when you want to really put the work in, and do a great game, that it's better to not show it as it's built, but to finish it first. Even if you don't have a license to worry about I still feel that way. Fire all barrels at once and just blow people away. Art! Layout! Code! Pew pew pew.

It's just the smart approach. Spooky is doing great. How much do you want to bet they've decided to go with another professional artist for game #3? They're raising their bar on RZ, and you have to just keep looking forward.

#1388 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not really sure why they don't leak out more of what's coming. Doesn't make much sense.

Because leaking tells people what's coming. Great! you say. Yeah well, there's competition out there now. Don't think all these pinball companies won't use that information against each other. It's a small pond, the fish are getting bigger, it's not all chill once you leave the collector level.

3 weeks later
#1469 4 years ago

Woo! I'm excited to see the final game, but probably not even a fraction as excited as Chuck is!

Oh snap!

1 week later
#1515 4 years ago

I appreciate being able to turn off adult modes. When I have a garage full of Girl Scouts or my daughter's soccer team I do try and remember to turn off the swearing on Metallica at least.

But if I buy the RZ game that's pretty much the only time I'll utilize it, otherwise that sucker is staying in adult mode.

( at "hair bras")

1 week later
#1580 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

ummmm.... hasnt this been know for months now?

No, not publicly. Remember how Ben remarked that he couldn't believe one of the features hadn't leaked?

Looking forward to the full reveal!

#1600 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

On second thoughts I should take it to the basement.

You should probably just keep it off Pinside honestly, it's destined to not end well.

Let's keep the good shit going instead. Color dots are going to be awesome. Monochrome DMDs are done!

#1636 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

video modes confirmed in pic on Facebook

Where? Don't see it.

I may or may not find the video mode hilarious though.

#1642 4 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

The pic above says "Use for Video Modes" right above instruction card placeholder.

Derp. Well I'll deny anything else then!

#1671 4 years ago

I'm on the list too. But we haven't seen the game yet. I'm just as excited for the reveal as everyone else, but if the game doesn't actually look like something I want to play a lot then I won't buy it. Theme and art are only part of the package.

Now I'm not putting down Charlie or Spooky here or anything, I hope it comes out great! Just saying, we could do with a little more patience when it comes to deciding what to buy. See the game, then get your wallet out, not the other way around.

After tomorrow I imagine it will all be a lot more clear. I'm glad they didn't show anything at Expo, much better to wait for the full package to be ready.

#1678 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

You worded it as best as you can, as there will be little or no opportunity to play it before purchase commitment is required.

I don't know the actual details. It's $1000 down to claim your spot right? But you can get that refunded if you back out?

Most people buying GOT hadn't played it before ordering, but they saw it at least. That's not that unusual really.

#1700 4 years ago

Goal is all 300 in 18 months... or less. Tall order, but we'll try hard.

Are the games being built and shipped in the order that people signed up? And if so, is there a way to know your #?

#1710 4 years ago

Yes, and yes. Official details to come tomorrow... if KT survives the onslaught.

Sounds good, thanks man.

#1775 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

If you compare the pics, you can see the ghetto blaster is above the target in front of the pop bumper. So i'm guessing the game is very similar.

My understanding is they added/tweaked some shots, but it's essentially the same game.

#1782 4 years ago

I'm tired of fan layouts...

Me too. Love that you're trying other things. Looking forward to seeing how it plays.

#1842 4 years ago

Man, that cabinet art looks sweet. Still digesting the rest, but that's the easy part to comment on, one take is all you need to love that.

I would love to see a higher rez version of the flyer that got emailed out. Here it is for those who aren't on the list right now.

RZFlyer.jpg

#1866 4 years ago

Ben made a brilliant suggestion which had not occurred to me, because I'm an idiot, and I just checked Spooky's website. Nice high rez flyer there.

RobZombieFlyer.jpg

#2003 4 years ago

DO NOT BUY IN IF YOU ARE JUST TRYING TO HOLD A SPOT... buy it because you want it. Period. If you aren't sure, skip it and let the next guy on the list in.

I like this attitude. And I know you want to skip the pre-order bullshit, and I appreciate that too. Your model is great.

If I could just say one thing that bothers me, it's that we're being given a week to decide (no problem, plenty of time) but without seeing any gameplay. It's hard to commit without seeing it flip. It sounds like we won't get that until January, which is pretty long past the deadline.

I'm mulling things over currently. Gameplay would be awesome. Just saying.

#2017 4 years ago

We're trying... just flat ran out of time getting approvals and everything else together.
Trust me, I'd love to show the madness in my mind putting this together. We'll work it in asap.

Thanks man. I know things are nuts, and there are a million questions flying around, can I ask just one more? Because it hasn't really been clear.

Is our build number by when we send in money, or when we signed up? Meaning if we want to wait and see if you get any gameplay footage up are we "hurting" ourselves by waiting? Or is our # already set so it doesn't matter?

Congrats on reaching this milestone, I know how hard you've all been working.

#2023 4 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Positive that the original plan was to have 30 days to decide not 7.

I thought that too, but I dunno. I'm personally waiting at the moment before deciding. I'd prefer a little more detail and information personally.

I don't mean to sound critical, maybe Charlie is working against a deadline I'm not aware of. Just feels like the end got rushed a little, and that doesn't translate to a rush on my end.

A week is a lot of time, I'll just be patient right now.

Regardless of what I decide the LE translite is really incredible, and the cabinet art kicks ass. That much is easy to instantly decide.

#2070 4 years ago

I will work on a quick and not very polished game play video on Monday... post it either Monday night or Tuesday.

That would be awesome. I don't need crazy polish, that can come later, but just seeing the game play would be great. I don't need commentary, would even prefer to hear nothing but the game personally.

Just a camera, in a quiet room, pointed at someone flipping would be super sweet.

#2072 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I accept my termination.
So is it just a stage prop or is there more?

Meet the Creeper:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_Creeps

#2132 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I can only imagine.
Captive ball in upper right hand corner Did you try that?

The game is done, people are buying it, what's the point of torturing Charlie by asking him to do things to his game that he's finished and presented?

Ask about code if you have questions or suggestions, that can change.

#2194 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

lso, I can't really tell what shot is supposed to be made using the upper mini playfield. I must be missing something as the upper mini playfield shot just looks to be a shot over a rollover switch in a wide open area.

You loop it up and around to the left to bash the Capt. Spaulding toy I believe.

#2220 4 years ago

We'll shot a not very edited gameplay video first chance we get on Monday and hopefully post Monday night / Tuesday morning to help those on the fence.

Sweet, thanks Charlie.

#2246 4 years ago

I feel like I'm the only person on the list waiting to see the gameplay before deciding.

I'm really torn here.

When Charlie and I first talked about this game we really weren't seeing eye to eye on it. Later he admitted that I was right about some things. Charlie, I want to say the same thing back to you, I've been getting tired of fan layouts, I've been buying 1980/81 Ballys, and really getting into the more random games, the more brutal ones. I get what you're saying. You came a little my way, I've come a little yours, maybe we're closer than we thought.

Flying out to Wisconsin next week isn't happening, but I wish I was close enough to play it.

Some people might remember my old thread where I pitched a Rob Zombie game. I even called it Rob Zombie's Spookhouse. I wanted Rob and Sherri to be the narrators of a horror game, with his music behind it. I mean, aside from building it my damn self could I have asked for a closer take on it than what Spooky did?

I'm not hesitating because of pre-order drama or anything, Spooky has proven they can get the job done. Your money is safe with them, utterly confident of that.

And yet somehow I'm just not all in here.

And it comes down to the art, which I care about a lot.

The cabinet looks great. It's like Rob Zombie meets Warhammer 40k. Love that there's no lettering on it too, I don't need that. The Bally games that I love with bad ass stencils don't have it either. Mystic is one of my favorite cabinets of all time. 3 colors, no words.

The translite is tougher. And it's because the LE one is so superior to the standard. It matches the cabinet better, it's got better colors, composition, action, theme, everything. I'm on the list, but not for the LE, and after seeing it I kinda hate to settle. That's life, tough cookie, but I have to admit it's hard to shake. And part of that is the playfield, and that second translite.

Because the playfield is just not there for me. To be blunt, it's really heartbreaking how much I can't get into it. And I think about how much time must have been spent doing two translites, for only 300 games, and then I see the playfield and it depresses me.

I've seriously been in a kind of shitty mood since 9am yesterday, because it's just disappointed me so much. It's like all this amazing effort went into all the parts of the game except what matters to me the most. The plastics feel like an afterthought. I kind of can't believe Rob approved them, he's a graphic designer. The inserts don't work for me, the whole thing just doesn't feel anything like the rest of the amazing work.

Anyways, I don't want to get all negative here. But it's kinda bumming me out, and right now I just don't know that I'll stay in. Will take the weekend to mull it over, and hopefully watching the gameplay video will give me some kind of closure one way or another. Gameplay is important! But for me it's all important.

#2271 4 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I don't just love the playfield on TWD or ST either, but both are on my short list of favorite games.

To me the difference is they don't feel unfinished. RZ literally looks like they ran out of time and just called it done. There's almost no actual art there. Rob's head, a witch, and ... a big floating tombstone, that doesn't integrate into anything. Ben added some blood splotches or it would be even more bare, but the blood and insert text look like AMH, not RZ. They don't match the feel of the game at all, and they're not integrated into the art in any way.

Look at that cabinet art! Look at the LE translite! So much love and attention to detail. And it's like no one cared about the playfield.

And the plastics look like a total afterthought. Did Alex make those? Look at the slingshots and lane guides, the showcase plastics. Could be Rob on one, Sherri on the other, or any other great mix of awesome art. Instead they're kinda muddy blurs with some bats.

I have to admit, it kind of baffles me. And I'm finding it hard to get over when it comes to putting my money down, as much as I love the other parts.

Quoted from labnip:

Dude... Buy it... Then:
1. Get the LE Translite separately
2. Make us an alt set of plastics. You know we'll buy

1. If that was an option I'd be stoked. I doubt it is, that's why it's an LE. (I really dislike that there's an LE on a run of 300 games, but that's Spooky's business not mine.) The LE translite is awesome, so much better, and such a better match for the cabinet art.

2. Plastics could be fixed. But it wouldn't change the playfield. And doesn't it seem kinda lame to buy a game with incredible Alex Horley art, just to strip it, scan all the plastics, draw new ones, and then have them printed and cut?

#2272 4 years ago

I get it man... you're not thrilled. Don't buy it, it's only a toy you play in your free time. It it's not for you, that's perfectly fine... stop thinking about how sad you are, close the Pinside window, and do something productive that makes you happy.

You're totally right of course. And you know I respect you a ton, and I hate to be negative. I'm just having trouble shaking it because I really wanted to be in on this. It's such a great idea, and you guys did so much right.

I'm still thinking about it. I know you'll have no trouble selling my spot if I give it up.

#2287 4 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

I don't like most Stern games since they look cookie cutter. FG=Shrek is a perfect example. Same freaking game.

Uh. They literally are the same game, you can even swap the ROMs. It was just a retheme. That's kind of a terrible example. But yes, Stern games tend to look like "Stern games".

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I am guessing playfield art is much harder to do right than cabinet.

Cabinet and translite are just posters for the most part. Billboards, signs, whatever. You have a shape, and you get to fill it with art. It's a familiar thing to just about any artist.

Playfields are definitely trickier.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm honestly still on the fence and I'm not really sure why. I must have watched the promo video a dozen times in the last day.

At least I'm not alone.

#2293 4 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

Look at GoT - just ripped apart on reveal...and I mean S H R E D D E D.

And it still looks like ass. As it did when it was revealed. Nothing changed. I'm sure as hell not buying one.

Quoted from zeddex:

You are kind of either in or out - gut feeling leap of faith. This just isn't a standard mull-it-around situation.

What? Why?

Good lord, this forum. Sometimes it's easy to forget we're talking about game pins here at all, and not collectors pins (and I mean the kind you pin onto your jacket). I don't spend $6,000 on instant gut leaps of faith, that's ridiculous. I care what my games look like, and I buy them to play, not just to stare at.

#2305 4 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Aurich, man, that Alien art package better blow everyone away or your super critical analysis of Horley's stuff is going to come back to bite you.

People can think whatever they want about Alien. Everyone has the same right to criticism as I do. If they don't like it they don't like it. Feel free to say so, I can take it. Don't dish it out if you can't.

#2307 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Aliens looks ok, but definitely prefer the zombie artwork so far

Me too, if we're comparing cabinet and translite art. Alex Horley's painting vs me recreating a brand guideline? He wins hands down. Great work.

This isn't a pissing contest.

RZ will sell out long before Alien is ready. They're not competing. I have no issues.

#2308 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I can't wait to see the Alien artwork so I can critique it to death.

Go for it. See above.

Wtf man? I'm on the RZ list. Am I not allowed to have an opinion about what it looks like and be unsure if I want to buy it?

People want to turn this weirdly personal. Knock yourself out critiquing my work. It's a discussion forum. Have an opinion, it's all good.

#2320 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I don't understand how anybody who is on the list for RZ could be "on the fence". Like iceman44 said, buy it and play it. If it doesn't suit you, sell it...... for a profit. Not every game can be a keeper.

I'm a middle class dude. I do pretty well for myself, not singing any kind of sob story, I have a nice collection of pins.

But at least for me putting $1000 down, and then waiting a year or whatever and then spending another $6000 (shipping and taxes) isn't a casual thing. It's real money, and I have to give up a pin for it. I'm not in a position where I can just snap my fingers during the holidays when I'm buying my family gifts and make that kind of money appear.

I can get it if I really want it, but it means making some kind of "sacrifice" on some level, so it's not a casual decision.

Someone's already PM'd me to ask if he can buy it from me if I don't like it, I have no doubt I could move it easily. But I wouldn't feel good about flipping it for a profit, not my style.

Look, no one cares about my money. But the point is, when people go "this is a gut decision, get in now or forget it!" I just shake my head. Actually, I'd like as much info as possible before deciding, thanks. And if that means waiting until Friday and then dropping out because I'm still not comfortable then okay. There's a list, my spot will go to someone else, and that week will make zero difference.

#2321 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Totally agree with Mof, Aurich is 1000% unbiased and he always called it like he sees it.
Been doing that long before he signed onto Alien. I'm sure that art will be great too. And I'm also sure there will always be people that won't like it and can't please. It's pinball!

Thanks man. I know it gets me trouble sometimes, and I'm not oblivious or stupid about it honestly, but this is my hobby and you get me in my hobby mode at all times. I hope Alien sells! But not to the point where I sit here thinking about how 300 RZ games might affect me or something.

Every game stands on its own to me. From any company.

I am trying to be a little more careful, but I can't see how anything I've said in this thread could possibly be construed as anything other than someone who's in on the list and torn about whether or not to get the game.

Isn't that part of what Pinside is about? Discussing this stuff?

#2324 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Apparently not. I've been down-voted numerous times in this thread because I'm being too negative.
Sorry if I'm raining on everyone's parade. I just don't think this looks like a $6,000+ game.

I think there's a difference between being critical and negative. Focus more on the first and less on the second and you'll probably get a different reaction from people.

#2328 4 years ago
Quoted from vidgameseller:

But really, at this point, your constant nagging is annoying now.

Okay mom, thanks.

#2350 4 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

Totally understand, but at what point are you struggling with a personal decision out loud???

Because I agree with ice about this part:

Quoted from iceman44:

As a group, we should be discussing and hashing it out, good, bad and the ugly. It's what Pinside is all about

Isn't that what this place is for? To talk pinball, and what we think about it?

Quoted from mrgone:

You are standing next to Charlie at a pinball show.
Would you say to Charlie, ( while looking him in the eye) the game looks cheap, the art sucks, etc.?

Well, I wouldn't use those words, and I haven't used them here, but sure, anything I'm saying here I'd say in person. Charlie knows me, I post under my real name, he's reading this thread, what's the difference?

Quoted from miguelortega:

I agree with Aurich 1000% I think spooky needs to hear this kind of critique not to bring them down but help bring them up.
Were all rooting for them to succeed. Since they are NOT like stern, and since they do read these comments.since they are one of us. we're all hoping they hear it and fix whats wrong with it.

This. Yesterday I decided I would only say positive things, and I only talked about what I liked. I didn't want to hurt Charlie's feelings, I respect everything he's doing.

But then I started talking with people privately, and realizing we were all basically doing that. And it occurred to me that everyone tip toeing around and being polite wasn't really doing anyone any favors. I wouldn't want people blowing sunshine up my ass about what I was doing, tell me what you think. If you have good ideas or issues I'd like to hear them, it makes me better able to respond to people.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna do something different because someone speaks up, but you never know. We did it with Hobbit, and people said "stop being so negative you haters!" and JJP rolled with it. It hurt some feelings at first, I know this first hand. But then they buckled down and made it better, and the game looks awesome for it.

#2366 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

You just earned my respect with that line if you are true to that statement and don't actually flip it. That is some for the love of pinball stuff right there...

I would feel douchey doing it. Just listing it on Pinside for what? $7k? I dunno, whatever, more than I paid for it, while other people are still waiting for theirs? I don't mind listing a pin for more after I put work into it, but that's different.

Look, it's just playfield art. Spooky has my utter respect no matter what happens. If Charlie said "you know, you guys might be onto something, we want this to be the best we can, we're going to give it some thought" I'd be stoked. But it's his game, and his company, and he'll sell out no matter what, so I have no worries about him. And if I don't get it life will go on, there are lots of great pins out there I haven't owned.

I just have a funny personal connection to this one, and I can't help but want the best for it is all.

#2371 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Aurich, remember yesterday when you said this?

That was yesterday Aurich!

(To be fair, the art is something that could be changed, the playfield I wouldn't expect to be. But point taken.)

#2374 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Have you had a chance to listen to the podcast? Sounds like there is alot more to the shots then meets the eye.
Looking forward to the gameplay video.
http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-209-such-a-spooky-friday-or-charlies-favorite-zombie_65812

Yes, listened to it today. I don't do podcasts much as a rule, but any time I listen to Nate's it's great. Had the pleasure of meeting him at Expo this year, so I could look the man who trolled me during that Spooky presentation in the eye.

I really want to see the gameplay video, I'm really curious to see the game in action. As I said earlier, when Charlie and I first talked I was really going at it from the angle of "you need an autolauncher, you need a mode shot, you need this and that". And I probably came off like a dick, and we just didn't see eye to eye. Later Charlie admitted I had to some good points, and now I'm publicly saying that he was right too, and we need more randomness, more evil, and less fan flow flow flow.

Charlie, I apologize for speaking for you, but you told me once that this was your game, that you wanted to do it your way, and if you failed then you failed on the merits of your own ideas. I think I told you that I respected that, and if I didn't I'm telling you now, I respect that a lot.

I'm stubborn, and a control freak. I'm a pretty nice guy I think, and I try and not hold onto those attributes too strongly, but I'd be the first person to admit that they are there. And sometimes they're great things to guide you. And sometimes you gotta let go, listen to the people who want the best for you, and be willing to try things.

I mean no offense to Charlie. He's a legend in pinball already to me, who the hell else has done what he has? I feel the same way about Ben. AMH wasn't perfect, he knows it, but damn, he built a f—king pinball. That's amazing. I'd love to say I've done it, but I haven't even finished *helping* make one yet.

So when I speak about things here know that in some ways I'm speaking to myself. Pinside is a sounding board for me, writing out my thoughts helps me clarify them, and the feedback I get informs them. But I also just wanted to say to Charlie, look, people are loving what you did, and you're amazing. But I think there's a flaw that could use some attention, and if you were willing to hear that I think it would be in your best interests. You don't have to do it my way, or let me help you, or anything else (though I would), but just maybe hear me out, and be willing to try and make something you worked on so hard better.

I could write that in an email to him, but I don't think it would work. So I decided that being quiet about how I felt was doing no one any favors, and I wrote it out. You might be surprised how many people feel similarly, but didn't want to say anything.

I think I'm done with it, probably was a stupid idea. But I felt like trying, because otherwise I was just writing posts in my head, and I had to get it out.

If you didn't read this far I don't blame you, but I mean every word.

#2378 4 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

For sure. How many fucking times do we need to hear how he's on the fence blah blah blah. Time to put the keyboard away for the day.

I've been told 17.

Just skip reading and responding to me if you don't care, I sure skip over posts that bore me. What's with all the nannies in this thread?

#2535 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I see no reason not to address the issue, as Ben has done for example, but instead he just told Aurich to turn off the computer and go outside. That's more like what Jack would say.

Staying out of the conversation now, I think I said enough, but for the record I took no offense to anything Charlie said to me.

#2601 4 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I agree with those upset over the disparity between the cab art and the rest of the game, and I'm under the impression the cab art may have all been prior art done by Horley, so perhaps *if that is the case*, it may have been a necessary measure to keep costs within reason. I don't know all the facts, but I do know for certain that I've seen some of the cab panel art elsewhere. Still pretty awesome art.

I *think* what you're thinking of is this similarly themed but different RZ art Alex did:

http://www.alexhorleyart.com/gallery/robzombie/2013/PlanetZombie_600px.jpg

I'm not inlining it since it has naked breasts, so don't click that if you're not in a safe place for that.

#2639 4 years ago

ART: Rob said what he wanted, where he wanted it, and Alex did a beautiful job. This was Alex's first ever pinball machine, and I think that makes what he did even more impressive! It's all done & approved, end of story.

The man has spoken, so I'm personally filing the art under is what it is and done. We're not in a Hobbit situation here obviously.

I'll shoot the gameplay video asap but it will be either late tonight or early tomorrow before I get it uploaded.

Sweet, really looking forward to it.

Good luck with all the construction!

#2679 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

So even Rob Zombie himself thinks the game is too bare?!?
Wow.

I just listened to the podcast segment in question. He's clearly asking about more toys and mods and goodies. Of all the complaints I've seen so far none of them have been "looks okay, but there aren't enough sculpted toys".

I obviously have my own opinions, but let's not twist other people's words to support an agenda.

#2681 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I've seen people saying there isn't enough to do. The robot, Captain Spaulding, mini playfield with one flipper, bucket of chicken, and one ramp.

The gameplay video should sort that out.

Nearly half my collection doesn't have any ramps at all. There's more to pinball than just ramp shots.

I think it's fair to judge the art, we've seen it. We haven't seen the gameplay yet. Too early to start saying there isn't enough to do. Maybe there isn't. Or maybe you'll be surprised.

#2764 4 years ago

Bad ass Charlie, thanks for posting that, it was great!

Gonna watch more and digest now.

#2778 4 years ago

I posted the video in a new thread, hope you don't mind Charlie, but you really deserve to get some props and attention from the whole community on this one, and I can't imagine many people are obsessively following this thread they way we are.

All quibbles aside, you guys just did a killer job. Look, it's a brand new pin! There is nothing that is not awesome about that.

#2779 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

LOL too funny. At my day job I had to learn that skill. I really am open to suggestions. I can add whaever to code.. I just can't solve the spinner issue

Would you maybe be up for starting a new thread about the rules? There's so much noise in here from 56 pages of posting, it would be really cool to get to hear your thoughts in a more focused discussion. You said you wanted to wait until after the video was up, and here it is ...

Seriously, everyone is really curious, in or not, but those of us who are trying to decide if we can spend the money would really love to hear any details we can before Friday!

#2784 4 years ago

NOBODY is following it the way YOU are.
Fist bump dude... I know you get how hard this s**t is to do.

So much respect for pulling this off. I know I can sound critical at times, it honestly comes from a place of just wanting things to be the best they can be, but that's something only the creator can really decide.

Spooky is amazing.

#2870 4 years ago

I'm not borrowing money from anyone, just to be clear. If I want the game I can pay for it.

#2876 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The GI is already miles beyond AMH.
Spotlights would help even more! (and I wish AMH had some

I'll loan you some money to buy spotlights.

#2880 4 years ago

Man, you make one little post about it being Xmas and more of a time to buy things for other people ...

#2930 4 years ago

House of Conveniently Dismembered Corpses

#2949 4 years ago

Look, as long as you get me some gluten free pizza I'm good. Domino's doesn't count though, they're GF pies aren't safe for celiacs.

If you really want to be safe though just stick with weed or whiskey.

Charlie posted a pic of the first post up for the Spooky World Headquarters construction on Facebook, he's gotta be so stoked to know that his game is done and the place where it will be built is coming together. Exciting times in Wisconsin!

#2986 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

You really think 151 or more of these will end up on route?

Think you've got an extra 1 in there.

#3003 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, guessing no more info of any kind coming before the tomorrow deadline?

I would love some high rez shots of the playfield. I feel like maybe that flyer photo isn't doing it justice. Maybe with some natural light and the game off even, so the GI isn't blowing out the camera.

If you have time Charlie that would be rad!

#3012 4 years ago

I've decided to pass. Don't want to make a big deal out of it or explain why, but for some reason everyone seems to want to know, so there you have it.

I wish Spooky nothing but good luck and success with the game, the new facility that's rising before their eyes, and their future endeavors.

I'm still very much interested in the progress of the game, and will continue to follow it. I have friends getting one, and invitations to play, so I know I'll get to spend some time with it still, looking forward to it.

#3024 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Where are folks wanting the spinner to be located? Sorry if this has been discussed and i missed it.
Thanks

I have no idea if it even makes sense mechanically, but the only suggestion I can remember was on the upper playfield.

#3038 4 years ago

I don't have blades of any kind on any of my games. I own a set from Tron, never bothered to install them. (Hey, something I forgot in the do you always install your mods thread!)

I've never really thought the sides looked empty I guess, not a real concern for me. Maybe if you get used to it then you expect it.

For me though the part that bugs me is blank back boards. It looks like it's just black wood on this game, so maybe if Spooky does aftermarket "accessories" for the game like the podcast discussed that's something that could go on the list, would be nice to have a graphic back there.

#3044 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I can tell you why - you stream-of-conscious-ed on here for probably 10-20 posts. Some people were annoyed, others (like myself) became interested because of your quantity of posts, as well as the views you had. I wanted to know to discover the end of the story - it otherwise would have been like reading a detective novel and at the end, after everything had been analyzed, the detective just says, "Well, someone did the crime, but we don't know who!"
Thanks for sharing. I wish you had the reason though. Now we know who did the crime, but not the motive. :-/

Fair enough!

Let's just say that while I dig the theme and the concept, the execution just didn't line up with my personal expectations, and there were too many unknowns for me to feel comfortable.

I know some people say "well that's how it is with Stern too!" but that's why I don't buy brand new Stern games I've never played either.

It has nothing to do with money, let's just nip that stupidity in the bud, but when I buy a $6k machine I have certain expectations for it, that I feel are reasonable. I don't consider that a cheap toy.

The art was definitely a factor, but it wasn't the only one.

That feel sufficient? I guess if you really want details PM me, I don't want to be negative in this thread for no reason. I hope everyone enjoys the game, I really do look forward to playing it, and I hope Spooky keeps raising their internal bar for each game they make.

Edit: Ted I seriously was really close to just saying F it and going in yesterday. Some things changed my mind, and I'm comfortable with my choice, but it really was a last minute call. Still, your instincts are likely not wrong.

#3095 4 years ago

Hi, is this the talk about me thread, or did I take a wrong turn? Click the ignore button and move on with your life, it will improve.

robzombiepinball.jpg

#3195 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

now that we're committed, any interest in starting a petition to enhance the playfield art?

Heh, from the downvotes I'm going with "no".

Charlie's already spoken anyways, but regardless, how does it make sense to sign up for something, and then ask for change? If no one ordered maybe there would be change. Happened on AMH.

But by paying your $1000 you're voting with your wallet that you like it as is. I'd just let it go personally.

Still looking forward to the Jack Danger stream, and getting a chance to play it myself. I know someone getting #174, have to see what my other friend's # is.

#3246 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Parker and I are trying to figure out how to squeeze a double-height color dot display on our ancient hardware for Bible Adventures.

1080p 60fps right?

#3255 4 years ago

Now I really want to see an abacus counting up your bonus points in the background.

#3308 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Okay. I Googled "Jack Danger Pinball," and besides being some guy into pinball there isn't any more information as to why it's a big event for him to play the pin.
Not knocking anyone, just curious who this guy is? Never heard of him.

He has a Twitch channel called Dead Flip where they live stream playing games. He did some live streams with Stern at their factory to show off TWD and GOT. Just a streaming personality, and a pretty good player.

He has a following, the right gear, it's a good choice. It's not that you're about to watch Keith Elwin, more like you're going to have a solid experience with a good player and properly set up cameras etc.

#3347 4 years ago

If anyone was able to attend the Spooky talk at Expo they talked about how cool the town is, and how they've really rallied around them. Speaks to the character of the community, and the kind of business Spooky is running.

Really happy for them, can't wait to see what comes out of that new building.

#3467 4 years ago

Wow, I love the infection idea so much. That's the kind of creative thinking I love to see, claps all around.

#3497 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Lucky day for me. Deposit sent.

Congrats man, you wanted it badly. I'm going to pretend that me dropping out got you your spot.

#3524 4 years ago

Sweet thanks for a well lit shot of the bare playfield.

#3597 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Yes. Translites for both versions will be available for sale in the future per Spooky. I'd imagine that nearly all game owners would purchase an alternate translite and I can also see these being a huge seller for the non-owners as well! I think this is a smart business decision as it brings in extra revenue to Spooky which is essential for a growing company. So yes, please everyone buy at least one translite It also sounds like there will be licensed mods coming our way as well but I'll let Spooky spill the beans on those when the time is right.

Nice. If I had stayed in on the Standard I would definitely buy the LE translite to swap into my game, to me it's the far superior option. Glad he's letting people do that.

#3741 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

None of you guys are worried that this title is made by a new company with no experience making pinball machines either? Just trying to see how this machine is a day one purchase at $8K+. Seems risky. But that's just my opinion of course.

Uh.

It's not a new company.

They have experience making pinball machines.

It's $6k, not $8k.

If I'd stayed in I would have been 100% confident that Charlie was going to deliver my game.

#3809 4 years ago

When I was 13 all I wanted to do was grow up to be Tom Savini.

#3859 4 years ago

I didn't watch the whole thing, maybe half or so though, I stopped watching around when the pizza arrived, however far in that was. Totally cool. Really enjoyed getting to see it come together. The callouts were great. I couldn't hear all of them clearly, but I could make out most of it. Loved watching the animations, so glad you guys did color dots.

I think Ben should offer people a color upgrade kit for AMH now. Just price it like ColorDMD. If I owned an AMH I'd pay that much to get it upgraded to full color like Rob Zombie!

Come on Ben, give the people what they need! Go back and recolor it all, do an LCD like Rob Zombie. Who in this thread has AMH and would pay for that like a ColorDMD?

#3863 4 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Holy crap that was fun!
I hope you all enjoyed the stream!!!
Big shout out to Spooky Pinball for having me and allowing a "Work in progress" game to be shown online.
<3 <3
YouTube link coming soon!!

I think it's awesome that you and Spooky hooked up like that. I'd totally play Alien with you if I had the chance.

I love how small our community can be sometimes. Lots of opportunities to work together.

#3930 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

Leave the extra nonsense out.

It's always nice when people can remember that we're not faceless companies, but people who are hanging out all together.

Think about how you'd have the conversation in person with the programmer. Trust me, people appreciate it when you're more polite, and are MUCH more open to your suggestions when they don't have to fight down feeling defensive because you're being antagonistic.

Really love watching this game come together, you guys are doing great work. Everyone at Spooky should be proud of it.

#3938 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

You just like this pin cause there's no cats on it

Dude, I dropped out because Charlie wouldn't listen to my suggestion to replace all the art with cats.

#3960 4 years ago
Quoted from LonghornEngineer:

PinHeck REV7 has entered preliminary stages of prototyping.

Congrats man. Having your own hardware architecture isn't always the easiest path, but it lets you control costs and features like nothing else. Spooky having that is a real advantage since you're willing to put all this work into it.

#3994 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

What it comes down to is parents being a little too over protective and making sure kids grow up in safe space PC environments.

Or, parents like to make their own choices about what they display in their houses, and how they raise their own children. Not to mention what they expose other small children to who visit and play games to.

When I have a garage full of Girl Scouts or 7 and 8 year old soccer girls then yeah, I turn Metallica's adult language off. If nothing else than out of respect for their parents.

I don't see how it's a big deal, the programmer is here offering a solution that should make everyone happy, feel free to not use any of it.

3 months later
#4920 3 years ago

I haven't played RZ yet, so my opinion on anything isn't worth much. Here it is anyways.

Every game doesn't have to be crazy deep. Every game doesn't have to be Lyman or Keefer in execution. Especially not Keefer, let him own that sector, but as much as I respect and admire Lyman it's okay to do things other ways too.

RZ started life as a very simple game. Wasn't even going to have an autolauncher. All physical ball locks. The OG plan when it was still Pinball Zombies was alphanumeric scoring, and Chuck said roughly the depth of a System 11.

Since then it's come a long way. Full color LCD display. Autolaunch with crazy multiball. More shots, and a lot deeper code than was originally planned. From what I hear it's hard as balls, and getting the the wizard mode isn't easy. Looking forward to trying (and failing) myself when friends I have get theirs.

David's tried new things, been really available and open to feedback, and I just hope that this negative bullshit this forum fosters doesn't start treating him like some Stern code debacle. Let Spooky execute their vision, and if it's not for you? Don't buy it.

#4990 3 years ago
Quoted from HappyDayz:

Now, I will admit that I'm a bit concerned how the production of Domino's game (starting late summer) will impact RZ but Spooky says it won't. I'm not sure how it can't though.

I remember Chuck saying that one of the advantages to building the Domino's game was that when it was done the resources that were allocated to it would then be available for RZ. Does anyone else remember that? Can't be sure what thread it was in, so hard to search for it.

I likened it in my head to what Heighway did with the Bacardi game. Do a commercial project as a way to seed your line; it's smart, even if you really don't care about a pizza company pin personally. Gives you a really safely leveraged way to build capacity.

3 weeks later
#5257 3 years ago