image (resized).jpg
RZ Glass (resized).png
Pinside_forum_8038068_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_6813 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7429 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #6177 Spooky mentions game #3! Posted by SpookyCharlie (7 years ago)

Post #6605 Gameplay and rules video from Spooky Pinball Posted by Jetzxi (7 years ago)

Post #7268 V019 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (7 years ago)

Post #7366 Common trough issue caused by flipper switch description Posted by snakesnsparklers (7 years ago)

Post #9017 V21 Changelog Posted by GhostThruster (6 years ago)

Post #9409 V22 changelog Posted by FawzmaGames (6 years ago)

Post #10228 V23 / v24 changelogs Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#515 8 years ago
Quoted from dkazz1:

You can still make a profit at this price. Sure they could have sold more but taking a conservative approach helps them grow their business and stay around for the long haul. The more they grow and figure out what works best, future games would probably have larger production. And still if your doing it all yourself, you need to train your employees to your standards.
Slow and steady wins the race in my opinion.

I still see no good reason for limiting to 300 games. There have been three possible reasons presented for this:

1. They can't build more than 300.

This is just false. If they can't build more than 300 per year, or 10 per month, or whatever, given enough time they can build more than 300. They could instead say: "We're planning to build 300 initially and only if there is enough demand in the future we will try to accommodate it." In other words it would be nice to leave the door open if one of their games becomes a major hit. A great title will do little to help the pinball scene if it isn't available in quantity.

2. They do this as means to get buyers locked in as soon as possible and justify going forward.

If they need the $300k deposit money to design and build the game, it's understandable. However that money could have come from selling more AMH's, but that too was limited and is sold out. So, again, it's pre-order buyers on the hook for funding the design of a game they have yet to see or play. If the game turns out to be great, there will be tons of unmet demand. If it's a dud, the pre-order buyers are left holding the bag.

3. They just want to do a small run of games and move onto the next title.

IMO, out of the 3 options this is the only plausible one. This would be an enthusiast decision rather than a business decision; a desire to build small runs of exclusive titles for a handful of collectors. It is what JPop was trying to do as well, but I was never a fan of that approach either. In Spooky's defense, at least each of AMH and SSI are being made in quantities greater than all of JPop's games combined, a minor improvement, but it's still half of a single Stern LE run, which rarely meets demand if a game turns out to be a great one.

But, I suppose there doesn't have to be a good reason, It's Spooky perogative to do what they want. Everything about the game sounds great, but as I won't be a pre-order buyer on principal, all games will likely be spoken for before I get to try it. It's a really awkward sales strategy for customers that all manufacturers continue to participate in.

#527 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Spooky knows how fast they can make games. Licenses are set to a certain amount of time. 300 games is how many they can safely say they can make in that amount of time.
Spooky isn't making promises they're not sure they can keep. One can't complain about other boutiques screwing the pooch, then wonder why Spooky is bring conservative with estimates.

Thanks for the reply, I did not think about license expiration because it was not a factor with AMH. In that I'll accept your limits are reasonable for what you are doing. I hope there is a way for future licensing to be unit based moreso than time based considering your limited production capacity.

Quoted from bridgeman:

Baiter - Spooky has already explained in the thread why they are limiting to 300 and then it has been reiterated by others throughout the thread. Have you read the whole thread? Time on the license is limited and the clock is already clicking.

Actually I'm usually good about reading an entire thread, but I'll admit in this case I didn't think I'd miss a lot in the 400 posts I skipped. In my defense I asked the question about production limits to Ben in another thread and no one, including Ben, brought up the license expiration issue.

Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

I don't see why so many are all going on about only 300 made. Its simple if you think you want the game send a email to kt its that easy. Once you see the game then make it final or cancel it b4 you put down the $1000

Wait, are you saying there is no deposit due until game is available to play?

#551 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

300 is double the number of AMH's they sold. Thats a pretty ambitious goal from their side.
And given they are only capable of producing 100 machines per year, they wouldn't want to make a 500 limit and be tied to only producing Rob Zombie machines for the next 5 years. Companies need to be always introducing new products to stay relevant. They don't want to be known only as the Rob Zombie pinball manufacturer.

They can choose to increase production capacity. They can choose to extend licensing. But limiting to a 300 lifetime number didn't leave either of those options open for the future... that's the only point being made.

#642 8 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

so send that "interested no obligation" e-mail and join us on an exciting journey. Better to send and opt out then not send and feel you missed out.

You guys keep making it sound like a no obligation pre-order, but it's simply not the case. Once artwork is revealed, buyers are obligated to put money down without being able to try it first for fear of losing a spot. Candy coat it all you want, but it is still a high pressure sales situation for customers... like finding a below market value pin on CL that everyone loves to hunt and compete for, but it remains an awkward NIB purchase scenario.

#649 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

How is that any different than Stern, or any other pinball company? How is that any different than when they built AMH and brought it to MGC to show off and got one sale? Now just because it's licensed suddenly there's reason to complain because they can't drag a prototype to every part of the country?

Sounds like a rhetorical question...I have or can play all of the latest releases from Stern/PPS/JJP and then purchase each NIB directly from the manufacturer. Sales were initially slow for AMH for good reason (the unknown), and while Spooky does a great job of bringing a game to a show it's not necessarily timely enough to get one... For example, a $1k bounty is being offered for an AMH spot because someone finally got to try it at a show, a little too late.

Quoted from btw75:

How would you prefer to do it for a limited release?

I'm simply not a fan of any limited release sales model. I'd rather see games played and owned by as many individuals and operators as possible around the world. That's largely where I'm coming from, not as much specific criticism for Spooky's sales approach, they are doing the best they can given their own constraints.

#651 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

Please reread Charlie's post.

Baiter please see the words been used "Completed package" That usually means art, cabinet and playfield.

The info I received first hand from Spooky wasn't that complete, so thanks for paraphrasing it. The "play before buy" option is, I'm sure, going to be a best effort scenario like AMH, meaning a few might get to play it at a show before needing to make a decision, but most won't be able to... it's unavoidable for a limited edition game.

#659 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

You can't on some of the LE versions. Kiss LE and Met LE were sold out before anyone could play them. Hobbit and WOZ LE versions were/are also sold out long before release. The thing with Spooky is that all their pins are basically LE's because of the limited nature of being a small pinball company.
I think they're going about it with the right approach. If Spooky were to wait until everyone had a chance to play a complete version before placing an order they would have to hold some kind of lottery for people to order games as there would be far more demand than there is supply. At least this way everyone has a chance to get one. Sure, there's a little bit of risk as you have to put $1000 in before playing one but chances are that risk will be worth it.

I calculated once that monetary losses on Stern LEs are slightly more probable than gains, and if you include JPop and Skit-B games, the general risk for LE purchases is not as rosy as everyone wants to believe.

#688 8 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised to see the list fill shortly, looking forward to see how it turns out

#694 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I was thinking the same thing because this is Rob Zombie. This is hardcore! Many here will be thrilled with art package. But I am confident that due to the nature of the beast (uh, Superbeast), many will need to back out due to wives, small children, etc.

This is my fear as well.

1 week later
#780 8 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Crazy... absolutely crazy... I knew we'd do well with this, but yeah, I was WAY under estimating.

Not surprising to me at all... Stern also underestimated all of its big sellers in this genre... ACDC, Metallica, and KISS.

2 months later
#1053 8 years ago

Yes we added more flow, toys, mechs, and some great other surprises, but... it's still a wild non "fan layout" type of game. If it fails horribly, then so be it... we can make a fan layout game on #3, and at least we took the chance and stuck to my vision for 1 game.

If fan layouts are the be-all-end-all of pinball then every game should have them... but it's obviously not the case. In other words, a non-fan layout doesn't work for #2, try another non-fan layout for #3... keep the creative juices flowing.

Quoted from MikeS:

Would like to see a more unconventional bottom half of the playfield vs. the standard Italian bottom.

Exactly this as well. I've been spending more time on something as recent as Wheel of Fortune and marveling at how fun and interesting the entire bottom half of the is with the center post and save lanes under the flippers.

2 weeks later
#1097 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well we're talking the boutiques here. Stern doesn't have a similar approach, there is no list you can sign up for now to get an LE of a game later. They're first come, first served, no pre-orders. Which is great, they're obviously the big dog here. Chuck is trying to find the middle ground of having customers ahead of time, which a boutique kind of needs, without taking $6000 from people and making them wait a year+. Which we've seen plenty of.
Word from Rob seems good on Facebook, so sounds like RZ is doing great still. Congrats Chuck!

Not seeing a difference... both take names initially, a deposit upon reveal, and full payment closer to shipping time. A boutique game is like buying a Stern LE, limited supply usually requires purchase based on online images.... send in your money, cross your fingers and prey that it meets expectations in person.

#1189 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Amazing artwork. That style on the playfield and cabinet is going to = one of the most gorgeous pins ever. The good news is we're going to see an improvement in art across the pinball world now. Stern has taken it on the chin over GOT art and with Spooky, Alien, Dutch, JJP all bringing gems to market, it's going to be great watching each company try and ONE UP each other's art. Kudos to Charlie and team!

Yea, Spooky's use of a highly talented artist producing all original artwork for the game is is doing it right.

I'm not yet convinced that Stern is in the "one up" game... they appear to be content cobbling together a handful of licensed images using photoshop for their products. MET was an aberration (DD was requested by Metallica), and KISS is a nod to the 70's artwork... both far better than anything else they do or have done.

#1190 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

It's still under development...

Haha, nice Stern mockup! (mock pun intended)

#1238 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Imagine if pinside was around when DM was released. That art package would have been ripped to shreds...especially the translight!

Better to get those concerns handled up front than have people still bringing it up 20 years later

#1240 8 years ago
Quoted from carbonROD:

I think we'll find once it's backlit that corner will fill out nicely...it may look sparse now but it appears to me that the house will have a warm glow that'll create the illusion of real depth.

That is a good point, if individual bulbs are used behind the translite to highlight the characters it will work out very nicely.

1 week later
#1330 8 years ago
Quoted from RandyV:

I think the short answer here is don't buy a pin if you are speculating and trying to hold or flip to make a quick profit. Isn't that what this 300 number discussion is all about? "Well, if Spooky builds more than 300 my RZ game is devalued!". Grow up.

"Grow up?" Unlike kids, grown ups care about the value of their purchases. The issue is that a small/hard cap allows only one of 3 possible outcomes:
(a) The game is great, if you didn't commit early, you're out of luck - hard to find and more expensive if you do
(b) The game stinks to play, customers who want to dump it will find it tough to do so without a substantial loss
(c) The game is good and generally met demand.

What does that mean? Speculation is inherent in the decision, both on the customer's side and on Spooky's side. I told Charlie from the outset I'd rather see him meet demand than force this speculation, but Charlie was very clear that he would rather keep it small so he can control production himself, but still move onto the next game in a reasonable amount of time. Ultimately I respect the decision, it means he is more interested in organic growth by producing more unique games than producing the same game for more profit. Can't argue with that.

#1367 8 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Spooky will put out an excellent machine that people will love or hate for their own reasons, but to bash and trash prior to any reveal seems kinda childish.

Childish, yes, but how about the opposite situation: singing the praises of this game when all we've seen is an unlit translite? Lets all exercise a little patience and lay judgement only on the final result.

#1397 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Yup, probably mentioned in other threads, but GoT looks suspiciously like The Hobbit in layout and theme IMHO.

Actually GoT looks more like Medieval Castle than The Hobbit. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-castle

#1419 8 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

I saw them on La Sexorcisto with Pantera and Def tones. Amazing show.

I saw the same. Music was great, but with a bird's eye view of the arena floor, I spent most of the show watching a bunch of roid rage guys knocking smaller fans to the floor, entertaining yet appalling. It's not that those types don't exist at all shows, but it was the only concert I've ever seen so many there for the hitting rather than the music.

4 weeks later
#1520 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I appreciate being able to turn off adult modes.

I agree, it is a great idea to have this menu option plus swappable plastics as needed.

1 week later
#1612 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Oh man, not complaining, but a 128 x 64 Sega display in color would have been over the top

Wouldn't the dots be oval if you double the vertical and not the horizontal? Doubling both would make more sense (like the color MMr resolution of 256x64).

#1676 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm just as excited for the reveal as everyone else, but if the game doesn't actually look like something I want to play a lot then I won't buy it. Theme and art are only part of the package.

You worded it as best as you can, as there will be little or no opportunity to play it before purchase commitment is required.

#1696 8 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

If you are on the fence about a 6k toy, spend a few hundred bucks on a plane ticket and make your way to Benton.

+car+hotel+time off work... So logical yet so difficult to justify!

Quoted from jalpert:

Until, like lots of video modes, you learn the pattern and can beat it every time.

Right...most of the controversy in video modes is about the patterns and points. If it's worth a lot of points but random, tournament players will complain if one guy randomly gets a big award, and another didn't. If non-random it's pointless memorization. For some the gripe is that it's taking away time from pinball, the same way someone might complain about a drop target blocking a ramp and taking away the flow. So what's the ideal video mode... a randomized but entirely skill based video mode that's worth just enough points to be worth doing, but not too many, and short enough to minimize distraction from actual pinball? They can be fun though.

#1973 8 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

The cabinet art is absolutely unbelievable. Wow... just wow.
Now, the playfield art. I don't know quite how to say it. It's actually pretty good in it's own right. BUT, compared to the cabinet art package, it just doesn't compare.
Jaz

That was my first impression as well. The cabinet has a fun and interesting scene of characters, but the playfield is disappointing with only 2 characters and half a tombstone... nice images in their own right but they don't even integrate with each other... reminds me of Stern playfields (clip art with huge gaps). Cabinet art tends to get hidden between games, it's the playfield that is in your face.

Fortunately the most important part is game play, is it going to happen before deposits are required?

#2615 8 years ago

This is the strangest Pinside thread ever.... Spooky asked for 100% commitment based on pics and art alone, so when some people were not 100% happy with the playfield art, they were presented with "game play will make up for it", then questioned about being one of the few to be waiting for game play. All this after hundreds of threads about the drawbacks of pay before play, which is unavoidable on a run of 300 games. While I understand Spooky's 300 run limit, I don't understand the criticism of those who want to buy the game NOT based on art alone. I'm glad Charlie is making a gameplay video.

#2621 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

As for the playfield artwork I had the first initial impression as Aurich. The playfield art just doesn't translate well to the cabinet. It's definitely two different styles. I wish it were more integrated like Centaur. But it's a Centaur cabinet with an AMH playfield if I'm perfectly honest.

Kind of an odd comparison...Centaur cabinet isn't in the same league as the Centaur playfield nor the RZ cabinet art... I don't think anyone is asking for Centaur quality playfield here, the primary complaint is that the playfield has huge art gaps rather than one of theme consistency.

Stern tends to fill these gaps on their games with 12" laser trails and explosions, but that doesn't fit the theme. As picky as I am about playfield art, I was one of the few that was ok with ST's plasma from the outset... background textures can be nice, but the RZ playfield lacks texture in the gaps too.

Quoted from Monte:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Throwing the translite images on the playfield makes a big improvement. With GoT Stern gave in to the negative feedback by texturing the background on the shield on all models after the fact, and that made a big difference. They also re-colored the Premium playfield and added winter elements that made even more of a difference. (They didn't address the lack of theme but game play makes up for it). Ben has said that he can add some things to the playfield if necessary, and I'd be curious to see if something like that would alleviate the concerns. Until then, game play is king.

#2627 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

This isn't better, IMHO. Busier, sure - but busy for the sake of busy isn't necessarily a great thing.

I looked at the image closer, and I believe that if it was higher res and more accurately rendered it would not look as busy. For example, the playfield image used to overlay the translite is over-saturated with LEDs and the plastics look pink, when they are actually brown. As a direct comparison the bottom of TWD playfield, is far busier than either of these alternatives, but I have never seen a complaint about that being too busy.

#2641 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Playfield art should be designed directly for the playfield. It should work with the features (inserts, scoops, pops, etc) cohesively, not just be a picture pasted on wood with stuff bolted into it. The original PF art may not be the most exciting, but at least it's designed to BE the playfield. Adjusting the color or detail of the image doesn't fix the fact that it's just a picture that wasn't meant to be a PF.

I agree, the art should integrate the lanes, targets, and inserts, but that integration isn't completely apparent here, but that isn't uncommon in the pinball world. As such I think any vertical art piece of Horley's could have worked just as well if not better in some cases, as he is generally good with vertical pieces with a center focus and texturing all around. The second image in the post above (https://beta.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-spook-show-international/page/53#post-2848866) is actually perfectly aligned for this playfield. At the end of the day if the game play is great, the playfield art dimishes in importance, just as it did with Tron, ACDC, and GoT, but the latter two also took particularly harsh criticism in the beginning for the same reasons.

#2674 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Buying a GOT now is not a risky endeavor, neither is buying RZ.

I which I could agree with you, and I would have a year or two ago, but I no longer believe that buying pins lacks risk... there are plenty of threads covering examples (disregarding non-delivered games), but that would be off topic here. Feel free to start another thread if you want to debate it

#2729 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

As much as I dislike X-Men, if there were only 300 produced it would easily be a $10-12K game.

Not a chance...very few titles command 5 figures regardless of production numbers.

#2783 8 years ago

Thank you for posting the game play video... the DMD animations are great, and it looks like a lot of fun to play!

#3010 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I would love some high rez shots of the playfield. I feel like maybe that flyer photo isn't doing it justice.

+1... I suspect the playfield art is as finely detailed as the cabinet, but there's no way to tell without.

2 weeks later
#3517 8 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Artwork is incredible up close. I don't mind the artwork on playfield being different than the cabinet.

Quoted from MikeS:

I also thought the playfield art looked great in person. It looked like an oil painting and wasn't muddy looking at all up close.

Thank you for both finally posting decent pics of the playfield. That was something Spooky should have done before deposits were due.

#3648 8 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

The LE backglass artwork sure would have made an amazing playfield and plastics set.
RZ-fantasy-playfield_(resized).jpg

Nice... that is a substantial improvement.

#3660 8 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

A pinball that was designed via the thumbs up / thumbs down on pinside would be the worst pinball you could ever imagine.

The playfield art is the only common complaint on this game.

#3679 8 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Poor comparison when the real playfield is washed out (as the whole photo is) and all the plastics are eclipsed by lights underneath (makes the mock up look far bolder side by side). Plastic integration is far better on the mock up, but I prefer the real playfield otherwise.

The mock-up plastics w/original playfield seem to tie it all together with the cabinet and translite art.

playfield_new_plastics_(resized).jpgplayfield_new_plastics_(resized).jpg

#3691 8 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

I think the original upper PF is fine, but changing up those six plastics really gives it a richer look and feel.

Here it is with original upper PF

playfield_new_plastics2_(resized).jpgplayfield_new_plastics2_(resized).jpg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3736 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

individual player tracking
The idea is that you could step up to a game BEFORE playing and hit a button combination along with the start button which would allow you to enter your initials up front. It then tracked all sorts of cool data in your player profile.

I like this idea. When I had a Road Show my wife would get excited when she could enter her initials... she isn't a very good player but Road Show is one of the few pins that tracks daily high scores so she didn't have to score a billion points to enter her initials, just be able to exceed the default daily high scores. The ability to add this and/or the ability for individuals to track their own high scores actually provides a lot of intangible benefits as such.

Also similar, achievements do add to the intangible values of those games... doesn't have to be a lot to track, but people get really excited about achieving mode-based high scores like song scores in ACDC and CIU in MET, or combo champion in XM. It's one of the reason code is being praised in newer machines.

#3737 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I have watched the gameplay video on this, and to me the game seems so plain and basic for the price. Am I missing something? Comparing it to an ACDC or MET (Both Premium) this game seems so bland besides the color DMD, which can be added on to both ACDC/MET of course.

I have yet to see an initial video of any game that makes me say "I must have it"... pinball requires hands-on play. Also, there's only so many shots that can be reasonably designed into in a standard width game, so you find that the likes of ACDC, MET, LOTR, GOT are all run-of-the mill fan layouts with 2 flippers, 2 lower slings and 3 clustered pops that are differentiated from other games, and each other, primarily by theme and rules.

RZ is at least a change from the normal by adding 2 extra slings and dispersing the pops around the playfield... so at this point it boils down to a compelling ruleset that takes full advantage of the theme and playfield design. That's a wait-and-see at this point.

1 week later
#3842 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Wow, game is brutal!
But in a good way - kind of like IM and BSD but with adult call outs etc.
It looks to have that 'one more game' quality

I agree with this. I was also thinking a long row of drop targets would be a perfect way to take extra advantage of the 4 slings... though not a clue where to put them on this game... maybe next?

#3976 8 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

This seems to be a surprising demographic for this game. Three girls at my place 6,9,12. Headphone kit mandatory as it will stay on adult mode. Lorenzo - get to work!

A headphone jack would only solve half the issue. Would be ideal to have separate modesty/adult settings for both sound and DMD animations.

#3979 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

That doesn't make sense if the screen and the sound calls don't match up on all modes, and that would be a lot to ask.

I don't know what are the plans for this pin but censoring is typically straight forward. For nudity, the DMD can have same animations, except clothed, and curse words are commonly replaced in music for radio edits.

#3989 8 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Out of 300 games, I'm thinking there are less than 5 people that actually use/need/want this:

Then you would likely be surprised at the number of owners who have kids, or will have kids visit at some point. Metallica has settings for both "Adult Content" and "Insult Level" even though there are no adult DMD animations, and GNR has a "Modesty Setting" for just the match animation.

#4119 8 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Metallica sucks. Band and pin.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even an unpopular one.

#4139 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

To me, watching from 12,009 miles away, RZ looks like Gottliebs Black Hole with a LCD and modern ruleset.
Charlie, is that what you were going for when you designed this game?
rd

Interesting comparison... BH is one of my favorites, the similarities include open playfield, dispersed pops, and mid-playfield slings. While the purpose of the open playfield in BH is for the lower playfield window, both put a premium on action. Keep in mind BH is a widebody and it's 4 pops and 2 mid-playfield slings are ideal for its many targets, but RZ steps up the wild action with 4 slings and 3 pops scattered around a smaller playfield. RZ seems to be a combination of modern shooter/fan layout with relentless action.

I also just noticed I own several games that have playfields as open as RZ including BH, Centaur, SM, IM, BBH, oddly enough all sitting in the same row.

1 month later
#4306 8 years ago

Armor looks great!

2 weeks later
#4382 8 years ago

For those who have played both, Is it more or less fun than Ghostbusters?

#4438 8 years ago

Thanks for the actual game play reviews... Pics have been shown to death at this point. Keep up the rules suggestions.

Quoted from ATLpb:

5) ramp not worth enough outside of modes- however I will say that one strat I just thought of was to hit the ramp four times to spell CHOP which seem to provide a mid ball, single ball, ball save. neat.

It's worth noting that the single ramps in BBH and Avatar and even the double ramps in IM aren't worth a ton of points outside of modes either. The last thing I want is a ramp-all-day game... balance is of utmost importance.

#4477 8 years ago

Yea outside of the Dead Flip streams I find little value in videos.... I was hoping for more descriptions of first hand experience since it is the first time the game has been available to the public. The following thread has more first hand thoughts than the RZ thread itself: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tpf-best-new-pinss

4 weeks later
#4593 8 years ago
Quoted from SpookyKT:

As to the LED's & plastics---- the upgrade LED kit will be using the Pinball Life Ablaze Ghost Buster LED's. That will be $80 and they will be installed here at the factory for you.

Do the inserts ghost without them?

#4606 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

fullness, brightness.

In my experience the only difference between regular and premium bulbs of same type is simply the addition of non-ghosting circuitry, no impact on color or brightness.

#4648 8 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Because it doesn't.

That's a great answer... PPS quickly swore off factory customizations after MMr, but Spooky is making this feel like a boutique game experience by offering optional upgrades.

To the original question, yes colored LEDs do cost the same as white, but the difference boils down the increase in parts costs (cheaper to order 50,000 white bulbs than smaller quantities of 8 different colors)... and there is an increase in labor involved in installing different bulbs for different inserts in the assembly line, and time is money. It's no more complicated than that.

1 week later
#4716 7 years ago
Quoted from HappyDayz:

A couple decent tracks that I like (#4 and #8). But so dang short. Maybe about 31 minutes of music in total over 12 tracks?

It is true only 1 of the 12 songs on the new one exceeds 3 minutes... but Hellbilly Deluxe averages under 3 minutes per song as well

2 weeks later
#4929 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Competitive play needs to be factored in for lastability in homes where 1 dimensional strategies of coding can make even a great layout boring and a wood chopping event.

Making it a good tournament game is a great goal to have... over time players do learn how to exploit holes in the ruleset.

1 week later
#5039 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Has anyone posted any pics of the inside?

Thanks for the pics. A bass amp!

Quoted from bigd1979:

not much to see under there and surprisingly not many mechs

Yea, not as much wiring as I'm used to seeing, looks clean... and only one service rail. Stern should take note of this... costs of the playfield support are cut in half, and much better than the pegs.

#5053 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Tweaked in it is fast and furious. There is nothing to really slow the ball down anywhere.

The ultimate flow game?

#5055 7 years ago
Quoted from Jabbles180:

The ultimate reaction based gameplay.

Just what we need, another undefinable game play term!

#5087 7 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

I have had this discussion before here and some disagree, but - there is no luck in pinball. The skill shot on RZ is entirely dependent on factors such as slope of game, speed of plunge, friction coefficient of playfield, etc, but not one element of "luck" or "randomness".

While I understand what you are saying there are most definitely elements of randomness in pinball... for example when a magnet flings a ball the player has no control of the direction, which could result in STDM or outlane drain. If there is no magnet your argument becomes more valid as most behaviors can be attributed to aim... "You know, if you didn't flip the flipper at that instant, hitting the ball 1/2 inch up on the middle right bumper at 3.97 mph it wouldn't have bounced off the right ramp standup, hit the top of the sling, and into the outlane. Now if it had been waxed 10 games prior you would have been fine!"

RZ skill shot is definitely a step up from the common (and lazy) top lane selector design which requires no skill to achieve in 99% of ball plunges.

1 week later
#5199 7 years ago

I got to play RZ this weekend, was overall pleased with the game. I'll go over several thoughts.

The whole game presentation is amazing. The sound effects are some of the best I've heard on a pinball game, and the sound system it has will fill the biggest room in the biggest house in the world, in perfect clarity. The color display animations are great as is the color changing translite, but both come across fairly dim in a well lit environment, particularly the LCD display.. I noticed it in videos and pics, and it's definitely no brighter in person. In a dark room, the translite and display may be just fine, but then the playfield brightness comes into play. Fortunately that's resolvable as many have shown with brighter LEDs and/or spotlights. AMH LCD is dim too, but it's a green display with ghosts, so one can certainly argue both games are suppose to be dark and spooky, but I would like to be able to turn up the display brightness more than I've seen so far.

My primary uncertainty focused on game play... particularly is it too random? Fortunately I do not feel it is a brutal game... ball times are medium length, lots of people were starting multiballs including 1000 corpses, and the upper slings don't do anything dangerous... all feeds back to the flippers are fully controllable. The way 1000 corpses feeds balls to the playfield is perfect... not too many too fast like every other game... nice touch. Iron Man is definitely more brutal than RZ. With that out of the way, the success and longevity of the game rests entirely in the rules, but with only a handful of plays I have little feedback in that area.

The particular game at the RMPS had issues every other time I walked up to the game over the weekend, primarily due to a bad flipper assembly. Considering the other flipper never had issues, we have to assume it's an isolated thing, as by the end of the show the game was playing perfect. Once a ball got stuck on a plastic in front of the robot, but that may have not been an issue if the robot moved during a ball search (The robot was not working in this game). Another time a ball went missing and the game was just stuck... and a glass off search never actually found the ball and after several minutes the game was ok again, so maybe a trough issue? The good news is that there were 2 AMH's at the show played non-stop the entire weekend without a single issue that I saw. I've seen both GB and TH down on location with various issues in their first week, so making a bulletproof location game out of the box is an industry wide issue.

Ultimately everyone I talked to really enjoyed looking at and playing the game.

#5212 7 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Everything set factory except I had to turn the back VUK up to 10 just to get the ball up to the upper PF.

I saw this as well... while the VUK never fully failed, On several occasions it had to try several times to get it to the upper playfield. It's just a little thing that could be better tuned at the factory.

2 weeks later
#5423 7 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Thanks Waddle, I looked for it and I couldn't find it. Going back to Khabbi's comment, I totally agree that this game sucks when watching the video. I had a few things to do this morning and as I was getting my haircut all I could think of was coming back to my house and playing another game.

Yea, pinball has to be a hands-on experience, and game play videos are not all that useful outside of player reactions. Thinking about the last few Dead Flip videos on new game releases, I thought the group had a little more fun playing RZ than they did GB or GOT.

4 weeks later
#5683 7 years ago
Quoted from mamawaldee:

I'm probably in the minority nowadays that thinks you should not buy something unless you intend to use it.
And after you use it, it should sell for less than when it was new.

Your desire to be moral is commendable but you should accept that there are others who feel it's more important to make a buck. Chances are if you attend concerts and sporting events you have bought tickets on a similar secondary market, as tickets are no longer made available to fans in quantities that they used to be because the system has been hijacked by profiteers. It's unfortunate but where there's a buck to be made, there is someone trying to do it.

#5694 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That compelling objective that taunts you and has the big return is what I really want to discover in this game. That's the subconscious thing that keeps you trying and again

Sounds like you are looking for a storyline in the rules. Most games lack one but it's a good suggestion.

1 month later
#6221 7 years ago

Spooky Pinball official house game #3...
No LE's... just 500 bad ass awesome games.

That's the way to do it, no LEs!

#6256 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yep, the metal "spacers" make any other "protectors" redundant. You don't need them any more. The spacers are the way to go, especially for decalled cabinet art.
rd

You are correct but I've seen at least one case where the leg is a little bent on an edge and nearly touches the cabinet even with one of those standoffs.

2 weeks later
#6340 7 years ago
Quoted from HemiOrange09:

I'm just finishing up my RZ and Pin15 RZ with the powder coated armor. Here's a few pictures of a mid point and finished.
Wow, it's Bitchin. .... what huge difference this makes in the look of the machines.

Do we call that color Hemi Orange?

2 weeks later
#6449 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Wife (not a pin player) tried zombie tonight. Managed to do this on 2nd ball.
Took us both a min to figure out where it went

Interesting... are the sling posts taller than most games?

1 week later
#6540 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Is powdercoat color the same on both models?

No, I believe LE has bronze powdercoat and the others are black.

#6576 7 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Charlie said in an earlier post that it was part of the license the playfield and art be darker. The artwork is fantastic but Alex Horley never did art for a playfield before. It was a new process for him.

It was a new process for Spooky as well, including coordination with both Horley and Rob Zombie on playfield art approvals, and constraining the areas. The playfield reflects some of those challenges, but it's pretty nice.

1 month later
#6906 7 years ago

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't you get more switch hits keeping balls active off the 4 slings and 3 pops than letting them drain for a single switch in the trough? This game isn't designed like the cookie-cutter Stern that feeds balls from the shooter directly into the pops below the lanes.

1 week later
#6952 7 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

Anyone think there is a need to install a small piece of mylar in the inlanes where the ball drops from the wireform or is the clearcoat strong enough?

I'm assuming the ball is dropping onto the switch slot? Most games have this design and the game has to be routed for years before significant damage is seen, which is typically depressed wood and a little splintering on the edges of the wood. Neither clear coat nor mylar will avoid the inevitable wood denting there, but there are cliffy protectors for it that may help. Personally I'd just apply some hard as nails if the area starts getting noticeable damage and not worry about it otherwise.

2 months later
#7576 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Working on some things at Spooky. Including a list of notes for Rob Zombie code!
Hope David and I can have a code/rules jam session later this spring. "Choose how you wanna die!"

That's awesome. Spooky's code situation compared to Stern is like night and day.

1 month later
#7858 7 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

It will include info that allows you to not need to lift your head. Such as mode info, balls, players, scores, corpse count, etc..
The system itself will be able to talk to other games, so head to head games.
Was also thinking while in tournament play, I wanted to be able to have the system plugged into an external TV to show even more info. I'm also thinking way out there, that its possible to use the camera module to do live views on one side of the screen, then show stats/data on the other half.

Can't wait!

3 weeks later
#8074 6 years ago

It is definitely uncanny how accurate their projections were over this 2 year design and build process, as you can see with the almost perfect straight line start to finish. It's a model business.

2 weeks later
#8259 6 years ago
Quoted from bman46:

It was R&L - It was not damaged at all and the shipping guy was nice. He even helped me bring it in (i offered to pay him)

I had the same excellent experience with R&L.... no damage and the delivery guy was super nice, helped me bring it into the house without hesitation, then refused to take any tip. In fact he was willing to help me carry it in, literally, with each of us on a side, even down stairs! When I got out my dolly he was happy.

3 years later
#10597 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, the ART is not best in class - especially on the DMD. Unless maybe you're artificially limiting the class to some criteria that limits it to RZ and something like Oktoberfest. The graphics are crappy and blurry because of the pixel pipeline to the screen, not because they're emulating DMDs.

Yea, RZ never had the power to drive significant graphics, but if you think about it, in no game made prior to the past few years did anyone actually considered the DMD as part of the "art package" because you either had none (EM/SS), or used a DMD with resolution significantly less than a single icon on a smart phone. The graphics on RZ are better than the likes of IM, SM, Avatar with their blurry greyscale video clips... but that fact never took away from the aura of those games because the DMD was not intended have "artwork"... it was, and still is in all 2020 games, just a scoreboard with simple graphics to indicate your mode. If I turned off the LCD on Munsters I would enjoy the game just as much.

My collection consists of games that are unique playing experiences, and RZ fits the bill... it's just a blast to play, and all the quirks just add to the aura of it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Wanted
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-spook-show-international?tu=Baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.