Topic Stats

• 10,507 posts
  • 602 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by drypaint
  • Topic is favorited by 103 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,193 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

50EAF020-4CD8-4119-9427-F544C9EF38B0 (resized).jpeg
5DEFF28A-B529-4D16-A30F-1A4C5F68DDB9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3858 (resized).jpg
IMG_3857 (resized).jpg
IMG_3856 (resized).jpg
20191005_213740 (resized).jpg
20191005_213729 (resized).jpg
20191005_221951 (resized).jpg
20191005_221631 (resized).jpg
20191005_221713 (resized).jpg
20191005_221535 (resized).jpg
20191004_231821 (resized).jpg
20191004_230221 (resized).jpg
20191004_225937 (resized).jpg
20191004_225047 (resized).jpg
20190926_165833 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10507 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 211.
#3901 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

Try not to take offense

no offense taken. Just providing some feedback from an avid analytical pinballer. We all need to know our weaknesses and out strengths.

I am a bad communicator online but know quite a bit about pinball, good ruleset, proper risk v reward, score balancing, what makes pinball fun, and things that make it much better codewise.

You dont have much experience with commonalities and best practices for standard things for the framework of pinball, but you have some great novel ideas for rules that are different than things that are commonly seen.

We can both work on getting better I would hate to see the failure point of this game be things you can refine in the code but have not seen the benefit of due to lack of experience.

If you want to swing over to madison, we can play a TON of games and take the glass off and I am happy to show you all sorts of things that would fall into the 'best practices category' for pinball framework. Take what you like and use that experience to make the game better instead of being defensive.

No offense intended.

#3902 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Every time you hit both targets you could add to your pf multiplier by 1X up to a max of 5X. As your timers get low you can hit a target (maybe the 3 target on the right) to extend them. This would bring a lot more strategy into stacking mb with modes. If this was done it would balance the playfield shots out more as its currently more left/ramp oriented.

What you are saying is

Use those top right targets to increase score multiplier. clearing those targets increases multiplier by 1x. At the same time, they are timed and as long as you keep it refreshed (hitting them); you keep the score multiplier.

As of right now, your score is multiplied by the balls on the field. I could make it say when you are in MB, you will need to clear and keep those targets alive to earn the MB scoring bonus. But only up to the max balls on field.

#3903 4 years ago

dupe

#3904 4 years ago

Even not in a tournament, it's a lot better to balance the scoring out. It detracts from the fun if you have to play house of a thousand courses to win, when you have so much else going on and other things you'd rather shoot for but don't want to loose the game.

Quoted from FawzmaGames:

As for 1000 corpse, that mode could easily be turned off during tournament.

#3905 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

What you are saying is
Use those top right targets to increase score multiplier. clearing those targets increases multiplier by 1x. At the same time, they are timed and as long as you keep it refreshed (hitting them); you keep the score multiplier.
As of right now, your score is multiplied by the balls on the field. I could make it say when you are in MB, you will need to clear and keep those targets alive to earn the MB scoring bonus. But only up to the max balls on field.

Yes I'd keep the balls in play multiplier and use the timed pf multiplier in addition to it. If you are in 2 ball mb and have 2x timed pf multiplier you would then have 4x pf multiplier until that timer expires. You can extend the timer by re clearing the targets and adding another 1X. I think this would work well for most modes but for the sake of score balancing I would make it so that in 1000 corpses mode it only multiplies corpses..-not playfield because that would make it extremely unbalanced since its a 7 ball multiball and already is worth a ton of points.

#3906 4 years ago

An idea I had was when the ball is VUKed into UP for a mode you could try and clear the chicken and gas targets to add a bonus, jackpot increase or multiple for whatever mode you started.

Ramp: could advance the dragula jackpot so even if you spam it, you have to be in the correct mode to actually collect on it.

Or ramp,if hit X times, starts dragula mode. It's the most obvious shot and his most popular song, seems appropriate.

#3907 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

An idea I had was when the ball is VUKed into UP for a mode you could try and clear the chicken and gas targets to add a bonus, jackpot increase or multiple for whatever mode you started.
Ramp: could advance the dragula jackpot so even if you spam it, you have to be in the correct mode to actually collect on it.
Or ramp,if hit X times, starts dragula mode. It's the most obvious shot and his most popular song, seems appropriate.

Nice ideas Ben! For the upper playfield idea I would just make sure that it's only used on some modes so it doesn't get used too much. Maybe it could be used to as an alternate way to spot a target in Dead City Radio?

As far as the ramp goes I think the ramp would be too easy way to spam points if you assigned bonuses to it. My suggestion would be that for every 5 consecutive ramp shots you start a hurry-up which is would light up a random shot for a timed hurry-up bonus.

#3908 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

ball search typically is not after 30 seconds, WAY too long!
Go check out a few other games to get an idea of what a good ball search does.

However, it could be a perfect time frame for catching up on some beer consumption during game play, especially if you have to pull one out of the fridge and open up a new one.

I've got a feeling that with the great attitude of Fozzy and Spooky guys and welcoming the valuable input of guys like Hilton (and myself of course ), we will end up with a pin that plays awesome!

#3909 4 years ago

The ramp needs to do something like Ben said maybe have so many ramp shots you could start a mode where the 5 glowing shots open up for a cool mode and score points per shot would be awesome

#3910 4 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Even not in a tournament, it's a lot better to balance the scoring out. It detracts from the fun if you have to play house of a thousand courses to win, when you have so much else going on and other things you'd rather shoot for but don't want to loose the game.

need balanced scoring. if house1k (any mode) is worth 50-100x more than other modes it should be approximately that much harder to start the mode...and if a mode is 50-100x harder to start than others..well, that's simply not balanced no matter anyone's opinion.

also of course if a mode is 50-100x harder to start than others, then the game is probably not finding that sweet spot of being hard but approachable.

metallica's crank it up is my fav example of balanced scoring. you progress towards the mini wizard, CIU, which is about 5-10x harder to start than say lady justice, or fuel, or three of the four multiballs, then when you get there, you're able to score 5-10x as many points (with a non linear relation as CIU can become lucrative if several shots are hit or the mode is completed outright, but player earned that right.)

just more input...

#3911 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

The ramp needs to do something like Ben said maybe have so many ramp shots you could start a mode where the 5 glowing shots open up for a cool mode and score points per shot would be awesome

I had actually considered using that ramp to start dragula. Maybe if you spammed it 3 times, the mode starts and you get a head start on getting DRA, then finish it off 4 more time. This way, if you are in a rhythm you get rewarded.

#3912 4 years ago

Dup

#3913 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Dont let a few people hold you back on the full gore/sex/chaos that the game can offer I would say if Rob approves then it is all good.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Should be all about the SHOCK factor, as only Rob Zombie could appreciate.

Should be standing there saying "F me running" I can't believe i just heard/saw that!

One of the coolest things I anticipate is having friends over and watching them go nuts with the callouts and video.

With all the chaos going on in the game it would awesome to have a mode like HORDE or TABA where the whole mood changes on a dime, creating another "holy crap" moment.

I can think of a lot of creative things you could do with a "Pussy Liquor" mode

#3914 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

However, it could be a perfect time frame for catching up on some beer consumption during game play, especially if you have to pull one out of the fridge and open up a new one.

VERY good point!

I am just pumped that Fozzy is just as open to feedback and discussion as Ben is! We are all on the same team here

#3915 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

Game #167 here where are the tits and asses. All I saw was a big ol shaved nut sack.

The real "secret theme" of RZ = righteous zongas

image_(resized).jpg

...also known as... The Goat

image_(resized).jpg

#3916 4 years ago

The only thing that would have been really cool in this game and still could probably be easily added is the Williams Indiana Jones ball escape on the right out lane. In a game as difficult as this that would have helped in a few situations and led to a little longer ball times.

#3917 4 years ago

All games should have what I would call a "dumb dumb" shot. Something a noob can spam and it will accomplish... something.

The ramp being one way to get to Dragula would be a good choice.

#3918 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Awaiting 31

I would really like that poster in my pinball room,where did you get it?

#3919 4 years ago

This one,it looks awesome,I gotta get it.

50f130a0029d0906acdec6610369fabad6b30006_(resized).jpeg

#3920 4 years ago

Guys, Fawzma has been great! Can we please be polite when asking for things or better yet pointing out things. Very few of us know what goes into coding a game like this. Based on how infrequent Stern updates are, I assume it's a royal pain in the ass. What we don't need is the community taking a real Hard working, energetic coder, who is working his ass off and make him into someone who views the pinball community as a bunch of whining assholes.

#3921 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

All games should have what I would call a "dumb dumb" shot. Something a noob can spam and it will accomplish... something.

The dumb dumb shot is usually something that's dangerous though, because otherwise it could become something that experience players just abuse over and over again, and it starts to dominate the game.

#3922 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I like it Ben. Since the game is tough and the ramp is really the lone easy shot having it start Dragula after 3 to 5 ramp shots (should be a service setting) would make the game more approachable. I would make it so the re-starts of Dragula mode are only done at the left orbit though so you can't spam it all game. I would then switch the ramp over to qualifying and starting hurry-ups after 3-5 consecutive ramp shots.

#3923 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

What we don't need is the community taking a real Hard working, energetic coder, who is working his ass off and make him into someone who views the pinball community as a bunch of whining assholes.

The sooner he learns, the sooner we can all get back to acting normal.

:Remove the tie, loosen the belt and drop any feelings of guilt

#3924 4 years ago

Generally mode scoring shouldn't be too unbalanced for reasons above.

But, how about this - to encourage all modes being started - once all modes have been started, not completed, there is some sort of high scoring reward?

A big count down jackpot or just a big jackpot collected in some way with some big sounds effects and animations?

#3925 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Generally mode scoring shouldn't be too unbalanced for reasons above.
But, how about this - to encourage all modes being started - once all modes have been started, not completed, there is some sort of high scoring reward?
A big count down jackpot or just a big jackpot collected in some way with some big sounds effects and animations?

And/or once you start all modes you get another cool mini like Escape from Terminus in TWD

#3926 4 years ago

Well I usually don't post on weekends

but the stream was great and got rid of any doubts I had before. I'm so glad sent that check

The game looks and sound great. the randomness that happens after missed shots is just awesome.

I love brutal games and this will fit the bill.

Fawzma good job with the code, the frame work is definitely there, and will be a stellar game. With this community and hard work it will all come together just like AMH. Also you should smile a bit and relax, you always looked pissed during the stream.

As for code suggestions, which a lot has been covered so far, could you add some text that says what player it is on the skill shot screen?

also what is the point of the killer cards besides points? do they have any mode associated with them or if you have them do they help with another mode(s)? like items for powerdown in JM

#3927 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Guys, Fawzma has been great! Can we please be polite when asking for things or better yet pointing out things. Very few of us know what goes into coding a game like this. Based on how infrequent Stern updates are, I assume it's a royal pain in the ass. What we don't need is the community taking a real Hard working, energetic coder, who is working his ass off and make him into someone who views the pinball community as a bunch of whining assholes.

too late

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The sooner he learns, the sooner we can all get back to acting normal.
:Remove the tie, loosen the belt and drop any feelings of guilt

If you think something needs to do changed, tell me what it is and why. Leave the extra nonsense out.

#3928 4 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

As for code suggestions, which a lot has been covered so far, could you add some text that says what player it is on the skill shot screen?

also what is the point of the killer cards besides points? do they have any mode associated with them or if you have them do they help with another mode(s)? like items for powerdown in JM

I noted that skillshot issue.

Killer card completion is required to beat the murder ride.

#3929 4 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

The dumb dumb shot is usually something that's dangerous though, because otherwise it could become something that experience players just abuse over and over again, and it starts to dominate the game.

Not necessarily. Take "Ace in the Hole" multiball in WPT. It's fairly easy to start (one shot to raise the prison bar, one to lock the ball, then bash it 2 or 3 times to start. Really easy shots. Far easier to start than any other multiball. Zero risk as this is in the upper playfield area.

But by itself this multiball pays very little. Jackpots are small (Calling them "jackpots" is actually borderline abusive).

The beauty is that it has (at least) three other uses for experienced players who don't want to only collect lousy jackpots:
- accumulate side pots to get an extra ball
- progress towards poker hands with the drop targets (much safer than when a single ball is in play)
- stack it with "Change Gears" mode and get lots of points!

Bottom line is: Ace in the Hole is easy, not dangerous, but good players won't abuse it.

#3930 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

Leave the extra nonsense out.

It's always nice when people can remember that we're not faceless companies, but people who are hanging out all together.

Think about how you'd have the conversation in person with the programmer. Trust me, people appreciate it when you're more polite, and are MUCH more open to your suggestions when they don't have to fight down feeling defensive because you're being antagonistic.

Really love watching this game come together, you guys are doing great work. Everyone at Spooky should be proud of it.

#3931 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

That's a good idea. Enable the flipper for 5 seconds, you get one chance to hit the chicken bucket for double scoring. Think GNR when the ball comes out of the guitar scoop, and you get one chance to shoot it around the mini loop and it doubles the scoring of the mode.

rd

#3932 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

too late

If you think something needs to do changed, tell me what it is and why. Leave the extra nonsense out.

Keep up the good work brother! I am in on this game and will be a proud owner and lot of that pride has to do with the killer coding!

#3933 4 years ago

When in 1000 corpse mode...

Can we always show the count?

I think it gets hidden a lot with other animations.

Gracias

#3934 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's always nice when people can remember that we're not faceless companies, but people who are hanging out all together.
Think about how you'd have the conversation in person with the programmer. Trust me, people appreciate it when you're more polite, and are MUCH more open to your suggestions when they don't have to fight down feeling defensive because you're being antagonistic.
Really love watching this game come together, you guys are doing great work. Everyone at Spooky should be proud of it.

You just like this pin cause there's no cats on it

#3935 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Not necessarily. Take "Ace in the Hole" multiball in WPT. It's fairly easy to start (one shot to raise the prison bar, one to lock the ball, then bash it 2 or 3 times to start. Really easy shots. Far easier to start than any other multiball. Zero risk as this is in the upper playfield area.
But by itself this multiball pays very little. Jackpots are small (Calling them "jackpots" is actually borderline abusive).
The beauty is that it has (at least) three other uses for experienced players who don't want to only collect lousy jackpots:
- accumulate side pots to get an extra ball
- progress towards poker hands with the drop targets (much safer than when a single ball is in play)
- stack it with "Change Gears" mode and get lots of points!
Bottom line is: Ace in the Hole is easy, not dangerous, but good players won't abuse it.

But after you finish Ace in the Hole you have to go all the way through and start a mode before it's available to be used again. If there's something that allows the sucker-shot to start something easy the first time around, but then require you to shoot around the game to do it again is fine. It's just I can easily see tournament players devolving the game into shooting that center ramp over, and over, and over, and over (like the jump ramp on No Fear or the center ramp in Earthshaker).

#3936 4 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

This one,it looks awesome,I gotta get it.

50f130a0029d0906acdec6610369fabad6b30006_(resized).jpeg

with a poster like that, there is no way i'm not seeing this.

#3937 4 years ago

Looks fast and fun, I think you guys should make a Slayer Pin.

SLA_Apocalypse_wLogo_(resized).jpg

#3938 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

You just like this pin cause there's no cats on it

Dude, I dropped out because Charlie wouldn't listen to my suggestion to replace all the art with cats.

#3939 4 years ago

when priority of other animations allows it, can the system show all 4 player scores in the corner?

It is always nice to get glimpses of scores when playing multple player games.

Also, cant remember of the top of my hear but during skillshot screens, doe the scores for all players pop up? In competitive play it is nice to be able and see where things stand as you are planning or changing strategy to make up points or be the rabbit.

#3940 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Dude, I dropped out because Charlie wouldn't listen to my suggestion to replace all the art with cats.

Ben told me they took your cat ideas and are designing an entirely new pin about spooky cats right meow. Something about a haunted zombie cat that delivers lasagna...

image_(resized).jpg

#3941 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, they didn't want to "litter" the playfield. Har har

#3942 4 years ago

Fawzma,

Do the inserts blink when a mode is active? I had a difficult time telling which mode was being played if I didn't watch it being selected.

I'd suggest using UP to earn a bonus towards whatever mode was being played. It could be played or ignored. If you wanted to emphasize risk reward, you could require player to actively chose whether to play UP or not with a flipper select. If they decided not to play, then no further action or points will occur and the mode continues on lower pf. But if player choose to play the UP, there are two outcomes, either player succeeds and earns a reward, but if they try and fail they earn negative progress (opposite of what the reward was). To make things more challenging - during one mode only, when player decides to play UP, it becomes a two ball MB the one that will launch on UP and another that spits out to lower pf. The UP must be accomplished at the same time the lower pf was being shot - ie keeping both balls moving.

Keep up the good work. Software looks great.

#3943 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

when priority of other animations allows it, can the system show all 4 player scores in the corner?
It is always nice to get glimpses of scores when playing multple player games.
Also, cant remember of the top of my hear but during skillshot screens, doe the scores for all players pop up? In competitive play it is nice to be able and see where things stand as you are planning or changing strategy to make up points or be the rabbit.

It was mentioned above about the skillshot and player number, I'll fix that. Scores on the other hand, I'll have to see if there's room to fit that in. Unless people don't care about scores overlaying the animations.

#3944 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

It was mentioned above about the skillshot and player number, I'll fix that. Scores on the other hand, I'll have to see if there's room to fit that in. Unless people don't care about scores overlaying the animations.

What people suggested for that when I brought AMH to a tournament was allowing them to hold in both flippers to make the scores show up.

#3945 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Fawzma,
Do the inserts blink when a mode is active? I had a difficult time telling which mode was being played if I didn't watch it being selected.
I'd suggest using UP to earn a bonus towards whatever mode was being played. It could be played or ignored. If you wanted to emphasize risk reward, you could require player to actively chose whether to play UP or not with a flipper select. If they decided not to play, then no further action or points will occur and the mode continues on lower pf. But if player choose to play the UP, there are two outcomes, either player succeeds and earns a reward, but if they try and fail they earn negative progress (opposite of what the reward was). To make things more challenging - during one mode only, when player decides to play UP, it becomes a two ball MB the one that will launch on UP and another that spits out to lower pf. The UP must be accomplished at the same time the lower pf was being shot - ie keeping both balls moving.
Keep up the good work. Software looks great.

In what! mode, after beating it you'll get a multiball. You have to shoot the UP gate to complete the hurry up. If you complete red hot, you get another. focusing on where the ball is at is tough when you have to shoot the gate with multiball. I've done it a couple times and feels good when you get it.

Dead city and Dragula has something like this. In dead city if you collect the chicken in overtime, the chicken on the UP blinks to go collect that.

Dragula has something similar where you collect enough car parts, Rob tells you the dragula is fully upgraded. Get to the upper playfield to collect the gas.

Those are just a couple things that didn't get shown.

Superbeast infection (feels so numb) never got shown either. That's basically it's own mode to.

#3946 4 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

What people suggested for that when I brought AMH to a tournament was allowing them to hold in both flippers to make the scores show up.

I'd rather do that than clutter the screen. I'll make a note.

#3947 4 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

^^ that

#3948 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

I'd rather do that than clutter the screen. I'll make a note.

You could make it the first stage of the "instant info" screens. Hold the flippers for 5 seconds and the info pops up .. Scores, mode requirements etc. Same as all the recent Stern games.

rd

#3949 4 years ago

Okay, we were teased about the coin slot animation. It has to be included at this point. You can't just hint at this and not show us anything. There is an adult mode for a reason. Actually one thing I think would be cool is if in the system menus we had options for adult specifics. Maybe have just an adult on/off. But then in the advanced settings you could say, "family voices on/ Standard voices with beeped swears/ full on adult audio." Then customize the visuals. "Family visuals, adult visuals, extreme visuals"

This way you could still keep it adult at a bar without offending anyone too much. But then allow the home user to control the amount of graphic content. Most of these will be home use. And different homes, different rules. It'd be nice to have advanced customization.

#3950 4 years ago

It seems like the mode timer shouldnt start the countdown until the ball leaves the upper playfield. There was a lot of "let it drain off the upper playfield because the timer is going!"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods
$ 199.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
There are 10507 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 211.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside