2024-02-20 13.12.31 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
RZ Glass (resized).png
Pinside_forum_8038068_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_6813 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7429 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 11,140 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 223.
#2601 8 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I agree with those upset over the disparity between the cab art and the rest of the game, and I'm under the impression the cab art may have all been prior art done by Horley, so perhaps *if that is the case*, it may have been a necessary measure to keep costs within reason. I don't know all the facts, but I do know for certain that I've seen some of the cab panel art elsewhere. Still pretty awesome art.

I *think* what you're thinking of is this similarly themed but different RZ art Alex did:

http://www.alexhorleyart.com/gallery/robzombie/2013/PlanetZombie_600px.jpg

I'm not inlining it since it has naked breasts, so don't click that if you're not in a safe place for that.

#2602 8 years ago

Gameplay video still on for today???

#2603 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#2604 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I *think* what you're thinking of is this similarly themed but different RZ art Alex did:
http://www.alexhorleyart.com/gallery/robzombie/2013/PlanetZombie_600px.jpg
I'm not inlining it since it has naked breasts, so don't click that if you're not in a safe place for that.

No, but what you linked is also on the front cabinet (bottom left of that image is on the right side). Here's a few others (the last one isn't exact, so perhaps it's a new version on the machine or something that was done prior):

Exact graveyard here is also on the left plastic in the machine -
RZ3.jpgRZ3.jpg
RZ1.jpgRZ1.jpg

#2605 8 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

484299.jpeg484299.jpeg484300.jpeg484300.jpeg

I like these a lot better. There's more going on, more to draw the eye.

#2606 8 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Wow!! That actually makes a huge difference

#2607 8 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We'll shot a not very edited gameplay video first chance we get on Monday and hopefully post Monday night / Tuesday morning to help those on the fence.

Very much looking forward to this! Hoping the gameplay convinces me to say "yes" and forget about the things I don't like about the playfield.

#2608 8 years ago

The way people are lining up to buy this game tells me Spooky didn't charge enough.

#2609 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

The way people are lining up to buy this game tells me Spooky didn't charge enough.

Or he priced it spot on?

#2610 8 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

huge improvement (almost too much going on). it makes the playfield look packed with stuff. I don't even think the inserts look nearly as random with all the images around surrounding them.

#2611 8 years ago

I see the in home warranty is 1 year and the location use warranty is 90 days. Will there be any factory installed options like plastic protectors, cliffys, flipper button guards etc. that would help protect the pin for location play?

thanks

#2612 8 years ago

I would also like to see plastic protectors but I am assuming they will be made as they made them for amh.

#2613 8 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I really like the top art for the playfield but looks too much like the translite.

#2614 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I really like the top art for the playfield but looks too much like the translite.

Those two straight up are the translites. I think the OP was just using those to demo how a more active playfield would look better.

#2615 8 years ago

This is the strangest Pinside thread ever.... Spooky asked for 100% commitment based on pics and art alone, so when some people were not 100% happy with the playfield art, they were presented with "game play will make up for it", then questioned about being one of the few to be waiting for game play. All this after hundreds of threads about the drawbacks of pay before play, which is unavoidable on a run of 300 games. While I understand Spooky's 300 run limit, I don't understand the criticism of those who want to buy the game NOT based on art alone. I'm glad Charlie is making a gameplay video.

#2616 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Agreed. If it were my decision I'd go with the top art for the playfield and then use the Dragula art on all of the translites.-best of both Worlds! But overall I think the current artwork on the playfield is just fine and think Spooky should just roll with what they have. That is both Charlie's and Horley's vision for the pin and we should respect that original vision. If people don't like it they don't "have" to buy it. I'm just waiting on the gameplay video/explanation of rules to make my decision. I'm really happy with the art/theme from what has been shown!

#2617 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I think they are both way way to busy.

#2618 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Or he priced it spot on?

So your saying that at $6500 he wouldn't sell out 300 games? How about $7000?

#2619 8 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Holy crap that looks SO much better. The standard backglass as the playfield really looks great as a simple fix.

Quoted from MikeS:

If it were my decision I'd go with the top art for the playfield and then use the Dragula art on all of the translites.-best of both Worlds!

This would be an ideal combination, but then there isn't an LE.

#2620 8 years ago

it would be cool if the inserts fit into the "dragula" (in quotes because the munster's dragula was better ) engine locations....i.e. have 4 circular inserts at the end of each intake riser pipe, headlights, and engine components.

-c

#2621 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

As for the playfield artwork I had the first initial impression as Aurich. The playfield art just doesn't translate well to the cabinet. It's definitely two different styles. I wish it were more integrated like Centaur. But it's a Centaur cabinet with an AMH playfield if I'm perfectly honest.

Kind of an odd comparison...Centaur cabinet isn't in the same league as the Centaur playfield nor the RZ cabinet art... I don't think anyone is asking for Centaur quality playfield here, the primary complaint is that the playfield has huge art gaps rather than one of theme consistency.

Stern tends to fill these gaps on their games with 12" laser trails and explosions, but that doesn't fit the theme. As picky as I am about playfield art, I was one of the few that was ok with ST's plasma from the outset... background textures can be nice, but the RZ playfield lacks texture in the gaps too.

Quoted from Monte:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Throwing the translite images on the playfield makes a big improvement. With GoT Stern gave in to the negative feedback by texturing the background on the shield on all models after the fact, and that made a big difference. They also re-colored the Premium playfield and added winter elements that made even more of a difference. (They didn't address the lack of theme but game play makes up for it). Ben has said that he can add some things to the playfield if necessary, and I'd be curious to see if something like that would alleviate the concerns. Until then, game play is king.

#2622 8 years ago

after playing AMH yesterday I'm in

Though i'll wait for the gameplay video before I send my reply email and check( do I just make the check to Spooky Pinball LLC)

but the build quality on AMH impressed me and it was fun as well

Art is amazing(even the playfield is starting to grow on me) but the layout on RZ is what I love. I love the pop bumpers and the Slings on the sides

I feel like a kid when I bought Hellbilly Deluxe at a flea market behind my dads back(he would hate the cover and I was like 11 or 12)

oh and the wife approves and was even telling her friends about how cool it is

can't wait for my first NIB

#2623 8 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

(Photoshop Images of putting the translites on the PF as examples)

This isn't better, IMHO. Busier, sure - but busy for the sake of busy isn't necessarily a great thing. Sure, the void around the center insert clump is dull, but just throwing a random picture on the PF as a whole doesn't really improve it in the right way.

Again, just my opinion.

#2624 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

This isn't better, IMHO. Busier, sure - but busy for the sake of busy isn't necessarily a great thing. Sure, the void around the center insert clump is dull, but just throwing a random picture on the PF as a whole doesn't really improve it in the right way.
Again, just my opinion.

Agreed and I feel even stronger. I hope the process is too far along to turn my game into a cluttered mess like that.

#2625 8 years ago

I'm going out on a limb and going to say it....... OMG, they certainly out-did themselves on this one. AMH was impressive for a 1st pin, and then BAM!, they release this. Just....WOW!

We are witnessing the beginnings of something that is going to get MUCH bigger. 20 years from now when there are Spooky pins build out of a large factory and found EVERYWHERE, remember that we were around when it started small and talked about it on Pinside. Go SPOOKY!!!!

#2626 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Again, just my opinion.

Quoted from RustyLizard:

Agreed and I feel even stronger. I hope the process is too far along to turn my game into a cluttered mess like that.

I see the Wisconsin pinsider love for the playfield art. Just sayin

#2627 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

This isn't better, IMHO. Busier, sure - but busy for the sake of busy isn't necessarily a great thing.

I looked at the image closer, and I believe that if it was higher res and more accurately rendered it would not look as busy. For example, the playfield image used to overlay the translite is over-saturated with LEDs and the plastics look pink, when they are actually brown. As a direct comparison the bottom of TWD playfield, is far busier than either of these alternatives, but I have never seen a complaint about that being too busy.

#2628 8 years ago
Quoted from Rico_Roughneck:

Quoted from MikeS:

Agreed. If it were my decision I'd go with the top art for the playfield and then use the Dragula art on all of the translites.-best of both Worlds! But overall I think the current artwork on the playfield is just fine and think Spooky should just roll with what they have. That is both Charlie's and Horley's vision for the pin and we should respect that original vision. If people don't like it they don't "have" to buy it. I'm just waiting on the gameplay video/explanation of rules to make my decision. I'm really happy with the art/theme from what has been shown!

Forgot one

#2629 8 years ago

OK. I'm not from Wisconsin, nor have I ever been there. If given the choice of the 3, original, standard translite, or LE translite, I'd choose the original.

I'm not in love with the original, and in fact, I find it a bit underwhelming. That said, artwork with no regard for the playfield features, with holes punched into it for inserts does not help, IMO.

#2630 8 years ago

Part of me bought AMH because of the WI connection but I am 3.5 hours from Benton so it's not that I have any connection beyond that. Maybe WI people don't know real art. I am fine with that.

#2631 8 years ago

That was just a funny observation. No offense meant to anybody.

#2632 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I looked at the image closer, and I believe that if it was higher res and more accurately rendered it would not look as busy. For example, the playfield image used to overlay the translite is over-saturated with LEDs and the plastics look pink, when they are actually brown. As a direct comparison the bottom of TWD playfield, is far busier than either of these alternatives, but I have never seen a complaint about that being too busy.

Playfield art should be designed directly for the playfield. It should work with the features (inserts, scoops, pops, etc) cohesively, not just be a picture pasted on wood with stuff bolted into it. The original PF art may not be the most exciting, but at least it's designed to BE the playfield. Adjusting the color or detail of the image doesn't fix the fact that it's just a picture that wasn't meant to be a PF.

#2633 8 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

after playing AMH yesterday I'm in
Though i'll wait for the gameplay video before I send my reply email and check( do I just make the check to Spooky Pinball LLC)
but the build quality on AMH impressed me and it was fun as well
Art is amazing(even the playfield is starting to grow on me) but the layout on RZ is what I love. I love the pop bumpers and the Slings on the sides
I feel like a kid when I bought Hellbilly Deluxe at a flea market behind my dads back(he would hate the cover and I was like 11 or 12)
oh and the wife approves and was even telling her friends about how cool it is
can't wait for my first NIB

Interesting, as I posted this here recently:

Quoted from Medisinyl:

I personally love the playfield art. I've always been a bit of an insomniac, and as a 13 year old, I heard Dragula for the first time on the radio in the wee hours. Somehow I managed to get my mother to take me to the record store the following day to get Hellbilly Deluxe. I loved the horror theme, but always hid the album from my father as I didn't think he'd approve of my owning it if he saw the cover. That alone was enough to have that album artwork imprint on me in some way, and the playfield art is rather reminiscent of Rob's appearance on that album, yet even more menacing now. And really, that area of playfield art is all I really notice when playing a game anyway (especially with a fast game+lighting, etc). Looks like there is plenty going on in the upper playfield to distract from it being a bit barren art-wise up there.

Otherwise, I too was impressed with the perceived build quality on AMH and how it plays. I've played 3 of them now. Initially I didn't pay much attention, but after being on the RZ list, I made more of a point to get a feel for it with my last encounter.

#2634 8 years ago

If the Dragula art was used for the playfield, the slings and inlanes could be smashed skeletons, road, and gore.

I'm probably not helping.

-c

#2635 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

OK. I'm not from Wisconsin, nor have I ever been there. If given the choice of the 3, original, standard translite, or LE translite, I'd choose the original.
I'm not in love with the original, and in fact, I find it a bit underwhelming. That said, artwork with no regard for the playfield features, with holes punched into it for inserts does not help, IMO.

I wasnt going to dip into the artwork matters part of this thread. I have been on the fence myself after the reveal and couldnt put my finger on what it was that didnt fit right with me. I know it was a rough example, but the LE translite on the playfield made a big difference IMO. Deal breaker, I dont think so, but extra gameplay footage doesnt hurt to see either.

#2636 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Playfield art should be designed directly for the playfield. It should work with the features (inserts, scoops, pops, etc) cohesively, not just be a picture pasted on wood with stuff bolted into it. The original PF art may not be the most exciting, but at least it's designed to BE the playfield. Adjusting the color or detail of the image doesn't fix the fact that it's just a picture that wasn't meant to be a PF.

^^^^^^^^^

#2637 8 years ago

Ok... after a day fairly out of email / Pinside range, just getting caught up. No idea how 1 Sunday off costs me like 2 days worth of work, but it does!

Reading some of this... is making me dizzy, so I'm just going to stop. ART: Rob said what he wanted, where he wanted it, and Alex did a beautiful job. This was Alex's first ever pinball machine, and I think that makes what he did even more impressive! It's all done & approved, end of story. Personally I don't think you need to cover every square inch with something just to say you did. I like the clean classic look, but that's just my opinion which means and is worth absolutely nothing. All art is subjective. It's like debating if 1 song is better than another, or if NY or Chicago has the best pizza. We all like what we like.

Trying hard to answer all emails, keep AMH moving, and unloading trucks full of building materials this morning. The parking lot looks like a war zone and we need to get it going on the slab so trucks can still get in & out.

I'll shoot the gameplay video asap but it will be either late tonight or early tomorrow before I get it uploaded... still got a few jobs I HAVE to get done.

Peace, love, and pinball men. Carry on.

100_3674.jpg100_3674.jpg

#2638 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It wasn't meant to be literal...you obviously rework the art a bit to make it work. You maybe even rework the inserts to make them fit the art like someone suggested with the inserts parts of the dragula. I dunno...it looks no less cohesive than the original IMO, but at least it has life and isn't so empty.

#2639 8 years ago

ART: Rob said what he wanted, where he wanted it, and Alex did a beautiful job. This was Alex's first ever pinball machine, and I think that makes what he did even more impressive! It's all done & approved, end of story.

The man has spoken, so I'm personally filing the art under is what it is and done. We're not in a Hobbit situation here obviously.

I'll shoot the gameplay video asap but it will be either late tonight or early tomorrow before I get it uploaded.

Sweet, really looking forward to it.

Good luck with all the construction!

#2640 8 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Interesting, as I posted this here recently:

Otherwise, I too was impressed with the perceived build quality on AMH and how it plays. I've played 3 of them now. Initially I didn't pay much attention, but after being on the RZ list, I made more of a point to get a feel for it with my last encounter.

yeah I was on a road trip with my parents and my dad would stop at few different flea markets whenever we were on vacation.

I was always buying games and cds to listen to on the drive. Rob Zombie happened to be one of those. I might not have really listened to RZ that much lately but to have a childhood/teenage connection with the music and being a horror fan my whole life(I like house of 1000 corpses and DR) this just seems like a game I have to get.

and also the game looks Badass which also helped as well

so that means there will be at least 2 RZ's in the Cleveland area

#2641 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I agree, the art should integrate the lanes, targets, and inserts, but that integration isn't completely apparent here, but that isn't uncommon in the pinball world. As such I think any vertical art piece of Horley's could have worked just as well if not better in some cases, as he is generally good with vertical pieces with a center focus and texturing all around. The second image in the post above (https://beta.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-spook-show-international/page/53#post-2848866) is actually perfectly aligned for this playfield. At the end of the day if the game play is great, the playfield art dimishes in importance, just as it did with Tron, ACDC, and GoT, but the latter two also took particularly harsh criticism in the beginning for the same reasons.

#2642 8 years ago

Looking forward to the video. Very exciting times for you guys.

The best pizza is from New Haven CT. Where pizza was invented.

#2643 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Where pizza was invented.

Although voracious aficionados can suck down several sauce-laden slices in mere minutes, pizza didn’t develop in a vacuum—an Italian political vacuum, that is.

Founded around 600 B.C. as a Greek settlement, Naples in the 1700s and early 1800s was a thriving waterfront city. Technically an independent kingdom, it was notorious for its throngs of working poor, or lazzaroni. “The closer you got to the bay, the more dense their population, and much of their living was done outdoors, sometimes in homes that were little more than a room,” said Carol Helstosky, author of “Pizza: A Global History” and associate professor of history at the University of Denver.

Unlike the wealthy minority, these Neapolitans required inexpensive food that could be consumed quickly. Pizza—flatbreads with various toppings, eaten for any meal and sold by street vendors or informal restaurants—met this need. “Judgmental Italian authors often called their eating habits ‘disgusting,’” Helstosky noted. These early pizzas consumed by Naples’ poor featured the tasty garnishes beloved today, such as tomatoes, cheese, oil, anchovies and garlic.

Italy unified in 1861, and King Umberto I and Queen Margherita visited Naples in 1889. Legend has it that the traveling pair became bored with their steady diet of French haute cuisine and asked for an assortment of pizzas from the city’s Pizzeria Brandi, the successor to Da Pietro pizzeria, founded in 1760. The variety the queen enjoyed most was called pizza mozzarella, a pie topped with the soft white cheese, red tomatoes and green basil. (Perhaps it was no coincidence that her favorite pie featured the colors of the Italian flag.) From then on, the story goes, that particular topping combination was dubbed pizza Margherita.

Queen Margherita’s blessing could have been the start of an Italy-wide pizza craze. After all, flatbreads with toppings weren’t unique to the lazzaroni or their time—they were consumed, for instance, by the ancient Egyptians, Romans and Greeks. (The latter ate a version with herbs and oil, similar to today’s focaccia.) And yet, until the 1940s, pizza would remain little known in Italy beyond Naples’ borders.

An ocean away, though, immigrants to the United States from Naples were replicating their trusty, crusty pizzas in New York and other American cities, including Trenton, New Haven, Boston, Chicago and St. Louis. The Neapolitans were coming for factory jobs, as did millions of Europeans in the late 19th and early 20th centuries; they weren’t seeking to make a culinary statement. But relatively quickly, the flavors and aromas of pizza began to intrigue non-Neapolitans and non-Italians.

The first documented United States pizzeria was G. (for Gennaro) Lombardi’s on Spring Street in Manhattan, licensed to sell pizza in 1905. (Prior to that, the dish was homemade or purveyed by unlicensed vendors.) Lombardi’s, still in operation today though no longer at its 1905 location, “has the same oven as it did originally,” noted food critic John Mariani, author of “How Italian Food Conquered the World.”

Debates over the finest slice in town can be heated, as any pizza fan knows. But Mariani credited three East Coast pizzerias with continuing to churn out pies in the century-old tradition: Totonno’s (Coney Island, Brooklyn, opened 1924); Mario’s (Arthur Avenue, the Bronx, opened 1919); and Pepe’s (New Haven, opened 1925).

As Italian-Americans, and their food, migrated from city to suburb, east to west, especially after World War II, pizza’s popularity in the United States boomed. No longer seen as an “ethnic” treat, it was increasingly identified as a fast, fun food. Regional, decidedly non-Neapolitan variations emerged, eventually including California-gourmet pizzas topped with anything from barbecued chicken to smoked salmon.

Postwar pizza finally reached Italy and beyond. “Like blue jeans and rock and roll, the rest of the world, including the Italians, picked up on pizza just because it was American,” explained Mariani. Reflecting local tastes, toppings can run the gamut from Gouda cheese in Curaçao to hardboiled eggs in Brazil. Yet international outposts of American chains like Domino’s and Pizza Hut also thrive in about 60 different countries. Helstosky thinks one of the quirkiest American pizza variations is the Rocky Mountain pie, baked with a supersized, doughy crust to save for last. “Then you dip it in honey and have it for dessert,” she said.

The world of pizza has certainly expanded way beyond Margherita-ville.

#2644 8 years ago

and dominos is the first pizza pin

full circle

#2645 8 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

and dominos is the first pizza pin
full circle

and dominos is expected to become the first pizza pin, thus completing a full circle

#2646 8 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

and dominos is expected to become the first pizza pin, thus completing a full circle

I see what you did there

#2647 8 years ago

Agree.

No point in discussing art anymore. It's done.

Buy the game or don't as it is.

Really looking forward to video

#2648 8 years ago

The thread is about Rob Zombie whose pin is being make by Spooky.
Spooky is also making a pizza pin.
The best pizza is in CT.
Rob Zombie lives in CT.

That's the full circle.

#2649 8 years ago

Txs for shooting us a gameplay video Charlie. Really excited to see more of his the game plays.

Any chance of showing the rule set?

#2650 8 years ago

pizza is also a circle most of the time

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 11,140 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 223.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-spook-show-international/page/53 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.