Topic Stats

• 10,479 posts
  • 599 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by JOESCHALL
  • Topic is favorited by 104 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,193 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

50EAF020-4CD8-4119-9427-F544C9EF38B0 (resized).jpeg
5DEFF28A-B529-4D16-A30F-1A4C5F68DDB9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3858 (resized).jpg
IMG_3857 (resized).jpg
IMG_3856 (resized).jpg
20191005_213740 (resized).jpg
20191005_213729 (resized).jpg
20191005_221951 (resized).jpg
20191005_221631 (resized).jpg
20191005_221713 (resized).jpg
20191005_221535 (resized).jpg
20191004_231821 (resized).jpg
20191004_230221 (resized).jpg
20191004_225937 (resized).jpg
20191004_225047 (resized).jpg
20190926_165833 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10479 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 210.
#2401 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

There seems to be his trend developing on Pinside whereby everyone expects EVERY game to be their perfect game in every way. If it lets them down in someway, it's pitchforks. Pinball is littered with 100's of examples of less than perfect games. Not every game can be perfect to everyone.
As long as the game is good enough to warrant its production then it's good for pinball.

Kind of agree but there is a difference between pitchforks and ideas that can make a product better, while it is still in development - i.e production models not yet produced.

But, it is still a phenomenal effort right now as it is. And it could end up being a classic

#2402 3 years ago

Looks great but the center art is a little austere...inserts are just kinda floating out there. Maybe they could turn the center into a graveyard and the inserts could be headstones or something? Kind of like the windows in TAF house?

Would just take a change in the center art I think.

Either way it looks like a nice pin...amazing backglass and some cool toys! Nice work.

#2403 3 years ago

Congratulations. Amazing achievement, Charlie (and all).

I really like that there is a company identity feel to this and AMH. And I really like the shape and trim of the second level ball return rails.

And the colour display. I have said this many times before and when JJP launched. Going colour, great, but keep the look and size of the classic dots. (Well, a little larger on the vertical size will be fine I guess).

Hope to play it one day. Unfortunetly highly unlikely unless I take the trip US side for a show once again.

#2404 3 years ago

The RZ train has left the builing. I don't think Charlie needs to change anything on the game at this point. I don't see people jumping off the 300 train in mass quantity. I see more positive comments and more demand then games. The game is sold out. Those that feel its not their cup of tea, drop out and the next person on the waiting list of 300 gets their shot to jump on the train. I for one was critical of his Zombie version of this pin at MGC. To me he nailed it.

#2405 3 years ago

The game, more specifically the playfield, just looks too home brew for me. Like this was a one off made by a fan. Looks good, just not commercial, professional quality enough to make it great.

If I was on the list though, I'd still buy it and enjoy it for a while before selling or trading it down the line. No brainer to buy because very easy to move it when the time comes.

#2406 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Aurich, you're a great guy. I know we've had our differences. But I went up at Expo just to say hi because I absolutely respect you as a person and a designer. And you have to be stoked about designing a pinball machine. That's a dream come true. So it's with 100% love that I say this: stop offering design help to the competition. Design feedback is fine. Everything you said in this thread was fine UNTIL you offered Charlie to help fix his playfield art problems.
You work for the competition. Plain and simple. You were up on stage with Andrew and Heighway...That is your team. That should be your family man. I get it, you love pinball and want to chime in. And believe me, you should. But when you offer to help "fix" it for someone, that is 1000000% wrong. Stay true to the guy who's cutting you checks and know where that line is. You normally do. But this time it just feels like you're saying stuff to make yourself look better, but in reality, you're just acting like a fanboy with no loyalty at all. And look, the most admirable quality in a man is trust. And if I were Andrew, I would be like, "What the fuck are you doing offering to help design Charlie's game?" Andrew is the nicest guy and may be letting this slide, but you have great potential to be an asset long term in pinball making, but when you sign on with a team, act like a pro and show them some respect. Enough of this "love of pinball" bullshit people. These are companies competing for dollars. Real money to survive and grow.
Still love you Aurich and I know you'll agree on some level.

Did I miss where he signed a blood oath with Heighway? I thought he was a freelance graphic designer, a contractor. His next work could be with any company making a machine.

Alex Horley is a great artist, but when I saw the playfield I felt it was done by someone without any real love of pinball. The art could just has easily been for a CD cover or motorcycle gas tank. As an artist that happens to love pinball, Aurich is very qualified to give an opinion or offer help. You know a forum has gone Bizarro World when unqualified people are telling the qualified to shut up.

#2407 3 years ago

It's hilarious that people think they know what features are missing or lacking from a game they haven't played or even seen in person.

As far as the play field art goes, it's exactly what this game needs. This game is so different than the safe cookie cutter games and themes Stern has been putting out, I think that's a big part of what's freaking everyone out. It's hard for people to wrap their head around different. This doesn't match that, or this should blend into that, who gives a shit?

I love it.

#2408 3 years ago

I look forward to getting to play one!

Spooky, get one to SFGE in Atlanta in June 2016!

#2409 3 years ago

The more I see the art, I think its great, the color palette, the inserts, the whole concept. You have to make it work with a box of chicken and a Robot! I think the cartoony inserts are a perfect tie in.

Maybe they should consult the ST art guy?pp000070.jpg

#2410 3 years ago

Here is another play field art masterpiece to compare against. Rolling eyes again.

Some people may love it?

009.jpg

#2411 3 years ago

Or maybe you like this one by comparison? I think most people would be thrilled if RZ stacks up against Tron, ST and Ac/dc.

Stern-ACDC-playfield.jpg

#2412 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

This is still a $6000 game and the toys and ramps are minimal, less than a striped down stern pro.

Guess it depends on perspective. A mini playfield, interactive robot toy, large color dmd, and interactive toy on the mini playfield makes me feel like it is equal or more than Iron Man or Metallica. Those games have little going on playfield wise that aren't "standard pinball" and I love them.

If I added a color dmd and sound system to Iron Man, that would be what, an additional $500 or so? So, what - Spooky is charging an extra $500 over a Stern Pro but limiting production to equal or less than most Stern LE titles?

If anyone really looks at the game and thinks that they aren't getting enough, don't get it. Let someone who really wants it get it.

Secondly, if you are buying due to resale value, don't. If people are paying $6k for something they aren't happy with from the reveal and it turns out they don't like the game play, what will the resale market really be like? It won't be $10k by Christmas, I can assure you that.

I am about 95 percent certain that I'm in. I'm sold on all parts of the package, I just need to put together the money. I'm surprised by there being so much complaint on here, and I worry it's by speculators who only want to buy the game to flip quickly. Don't be that guy.

#2413 3 years ago

I doubled posted, so I'll just add...

Watch the music videos for Dragula and Living Dead Girl. I think the style makes a bit more sense. I even support the insert text as they look like the old timey spooky movie trailer text.

I don't hate the idea of making the inserts all white like a black and white movie, but I think I'd color them with leds then anyway.

#2414 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's hilarious that people think they know what features are missing or lacking from a game they haven't played or even seen in person.

But many of us have played the proto from a few years back which is about 80% the same. I just want to see a full gameplay video to insure that the changes they made improved the gameplay significantly. I think the rest of the package is there and I'm 100% on board with the art and theme but just hoping the gameplay and ruleset pull the game together.

Its all a moot point as it sounds like we'll get to see gameplay on Monday or Tuesday which is all I need to make an informed decision.

#2415 3 years ago

Here's another beauty. Yeah I'd say sell your 300 pins Charlie and move on. It's not perfect but 300 will love it.

game-of-thrones-pinball-drain.jpg

#2416 3 years ago

Sorry Ice but all the examples you have posted as comparison still look a lot better than this pin's playfield. It looks like a bunch of kids made this in the garage for a high school project.

#2417 3 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Did I miss where he signed a blood oath with Heighway? I thought he was a freelance graphic designer, a contractor. His next work could be with any company making a machine.
Alex Horley is a great artist, but when I saw the playfield I felt it was done by someone without any real love of pinball. The art could just has easily been for a CD cover or motorcycle gas tank. As an artist that happens to love pinball, Aurich is very qualified to give an opinion or offer help. You know a forum has gone Bizarro World when unqualified people are telling the qualified to shut up.

Seriously TOK, usually you have ground to stand on with your constant contradiction of me, but this time you are dead wrong. People, pinsiders, CHIME IN.

Who think's it's OK for Aurich to offer Charlie design help on RZ while he's currently designing a game for a competitor? He may not be on Heighway's staff or have a Heighway email, but he sure as hell is part of that team right now. I have no issues with Aurich giving feedback or even saying how things could improve, but to offer Charlie his skills when his skills are being utilized for Heighway is just wrong. It's a damn timing thing man. Freelancer or not, if you're doing work for Pepsi at the moment, are you gonna help Coke out?

The real issue is everyone looks at this stuff through the "love of pinball" lens. But when you put on your professional goggles, it's silly to offer to help a competitor make his/her product better.

#2418 3 years ago

So, 6/17 is the latest date that anyone got a "you're on the list" confirmation and also later got the "you're in the 300" email. Anyone else have a later date? (sorry to go back to this, but I'm really interested)

#2419 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here is another play field art masterpiece to compare against. Rolling eyes again.
Some people may love it?
009.jpg

TRON and ACDC look 10X better than RZ playfied man. At least there's more balance to the art and your eye travels up the playfield. It's like Spooky rain out of ink halfway up.

It's just annoying that those in on RZ have consumed so much coolaid that they are now shitting on Stern pins that have much more artistic direction going on.

We're all happy about what Spooky is doing and the package is 85% stellar. People are just hoping to make it as close to perfect as possible before production, that's all.

Also, if you think RZ will shoot or have code like an ACDC or TRON...keep dreaming.

#2420 3 years ago

This thread has gone crazy. I love it so far can't wait to see it in action and i love that it's different not same old layout. Good job charlie

This is simple don't buy it if you don't like it and

#2421 3 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Guess it depends on perspective. A mini playfield, interactive robot toy, large color dmd, and interactive toy on the mini playfield makes me feel like it is equal or more than Iron Man or Metallica. Those games have little going on playfield wise that aren't "standard pinball" and I love them.
If I added a color dmd and sound system to Iron Man, that would be what, an additional $500 or so? So, what - Spooky is charging an extra $500 over a Stern Pro but limiting production to equal or less than most Stern LE titles?
If anyone really looks at the game and thinks that they aren't getting enough, don't get it. Let someone who really wants it get it.
Secondly, if you are buying due to resale value, don't. If people are paying $6k for something they aren't happy with from the reveal and it turns out they don't like the game play, what will the resale market really be like? It won't be $10k by Christmas, I can assure you that.
I am about 95 percent certain that I'm in. I'm sold on all parts of the package, I just need to put together the money. I'm surprised by there being so much complaint on here, and I worry it's by speculators who only want to buy the game to flip quickly. Don't be that guy.

It's safe to say everyone who's going to get one will be happy. The thing that's happening is this: pinball fans are critiquing what they see fairly. On day 1, it was as if RZ got a pass because we all love Charlie. But there's no denying the fact that playfield art is not their strong point. I also feel the toys and plastics look a little cheap and home brew, but again, Spooky is a home brew kind of shop. So not slamming it, just saying that's they type of game you're getting. It's a bit more craft pinball then big beer pinball (stern).

#2422 3 years ago

Really looking forward to gameplay video this week.

Also hoping I can make it to the shop to play the RZ sample sometime.

Gameplay (how does it shoot, what is the code/ruleset) is ALL I care about. I can say 100% that I have hated a few recent Stern games until the code was polished and it blew me away (looking at you TWD).

I look back at what I care about in a game and while art is a nicety, it is very far down the list.

Are so many people really so heavily weighted on art that any of it is a go/no go decision maker for them? or is it that we only have the art to judge by so far, so that is the main thing to critique?

#2423 3 years ago

What I'd like hear discussed is who is Fawzma, aka Fozzy, and how good will the code on this game actually be.

And this matters most doesn't it? It does to me.

Notice i didn't put TWD pic up Hazoff, it looks awesome!

#2424 3 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

This thread has gone crazy. I love it so far can't wait to see it in action and i love that it's different not same old layout. Good job charlie
This is simple don't buy it if you don't like it and

It's not a question of don't buy if you don't like. It's a question of whether or not Spooky will listen to customer feedback and make improvements before launch. Not because they won't sell all 300 otherwise. But because everyone here always wants to see a pin ship in it's best possible form. Hell we ALL LOVE GOT and had to accept that art. I think we all saw what Jack did with Hobbit and feel like we collective helped make that game better and we can do the same here. Wishful thinking maybe, but look at the difference in Hobbit now.

#2425 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

TRON and ACDC look 10X better than RZ playfied man. At least there's more balance to the art and your eye travels up the playfield. It's like Spooky rain out of ink halfway up.
It's just annoying that those in on RZ have consumed so much coolaid that they are now shitting on Stern pins that have much more artistic direction going on.

It's a discussion and comparison pal. And Tron and Acdc look like total shit by comparison, sorry. You are "annoyed", that's hysterical.

#2426 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Really looking forward to gameplay video this week.
Also hoping I can make it to the shop to play the RZ sample sometime.
Gameplay (how does it shoot, what is the code/ruleset) is ALL I care about. I can say 100% that I have hated a few recent Stern games until the code was polished and it blew me away (looking at you TWD).
I look back at what I care about in a game and while art is a nicety, it is very far down the list.
Are so many people really so heavily weighted on art that any of it is a go/no go decision maker for them? or is it that we only have the art to judge by so far, so that is the main thing to critique?

Art is how a woman looks.
Code is how she F#$ks.

We're initially drawn in by the art.

#2427 3 years ago

i share the same positive and neg opinions as others about the game, no need to repeat......but, one thing i'm noticing is how dark the game is. No Spotlights?

#2428 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's a discussion and comparison pal. And Tron and Acdc look like total shit by comparison, sorry. You are "annoyed", that's hysterical.

So Ice, you want to go on record and state that RZ's playfield is nicer than TRON's and ACDC's? For real?

#2429 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Hell we ALL LOVE GOT and had to accept that art.

NO, "we" don't ALL love GOT. I don't like what I see at all so far. Same old same old. I could end up liking it but I'd never buy it because their are too many other better options for me out there.

#2430 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Also, if you think RZ will shoot or have code like an ACDC or TRON...keep dreaming.

I don't think that. I think and hope it will shoot like AMH, which is unlike anything else in the way of ruleset that has come out before it. If they try to make RZ shoot and play like ACDC or Tron, I for one will be super disappointed.

#2431 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

So Ice, you want to go on record and state that RZ's playfield is nicer than TRON's and ACDC's? For real?

I think i just did didn't I? WTF, it's not even close, that's the point, throw GOT nasty play field in that opinion too.

#2432 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

NO, "we" don't ALL love GOT. I don't like what I see at all so far. Same old same old. I could end up liking it but I'd never buy it because their are too many other better options for me out there.

I meant the show silly...should have clarified.

But back to my other question. Are you saying RZ'd playfield is better than TRON and ACDCs? Because I really want to know if you stand behind that statement.

#2433 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Art is how a woman looks.
Code is how she F#$ks.
We're initially drawn in by the art.

Whoa.

#2434 3 years ago

Ice I respect your opinion. But I also think you're smoking the Spooky Pipe if you think that a half barren playfield is better than those Stern's you've mentioned. I'll let other's chime in.

#2435 3 years ago

Is there a point to all this belly aching? This is a small, boutique pinball maker doing things different. What are you expecting especially given what AMH looks like? I thought the home brew feel and exclusiveness was the big draw. If you don't love RZ don't buy it. Plain and simple.

#2436 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Is there a point to all this belly aching? This is a small, boutique pinball maker doing things different. What are you expecting especially given what AMH looks like? I thought the home brew feel and exclusiveness was the big draw. If you don't love RZ don't buy it. Plain and simple.

I think the belly aching comes from those on the order list making statements like "this is the best art in pinball ever." If you're going to say that, then the art package has to carry over to the playflied. And regardless of homebrew, there's a way to make a playfield pop and excite and this one just feels rushed and incomplete. Also sharing opinions about new machines gets everyone going. In 3 weeks, it will be us bitching about Ghostbusters or Spiderman VE

#2437 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

#2438 3 years ago

Wow....so, now anyone who likes RZ as it is "drank coolaid"? We are all helpless imbeciles who can't understand what we really like?. With all due respect, stick it where the sun don't shine. Yet again people thriving on bitching manage to turn a positive pinside thread into a miserable shit hole. Just because you don't like a playfield does not make it the accepted law of the land ......no one needs anyone's saving. Subjective opinions....remember those? It is possible to voice concerns and issues without being a nega-troll although you wouldn't think so here. Super disappointed in some people today. The narcissistic elitism on display is mind blowing.

#2439 3 years ago

I see things are back to normal around pinside...

#2440 3 years ago

It's called speed. If you want your ball clunking into something every three inches go buy a TZ or a TSPP. Those are great games, but for other reasons. You can't have speed and flow if your ball is constantly being stopped by crap on the play field.

Quoted from kaneda:

you're smoking the Spooky Pipe if you think that a half barren playfield is better than those Stern's you've mentioned.

#2441 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Ice I respect your opinion. But I also think you're smoking the Spooky Pipe if you think that a half barren playfield is better than those Stern's you've mentioned. I'll let other's chime in.

Type in Rob Zombie Dragula at YouTube and watch the video. You'll see exactly what they were going for.

Does that make it better? Eye of the beholder, I guess, but if it looked like Metallica just for instance, I think it would not match the style or feel they were going for at all.

All those examples, they are examples of standard playfields in standard pinball machines. You can't pretend that any part of this machine appears "standard."

Again, maybe just me, but I really like the playfield as is and don't want the standard Stern playfield is seems a few loud voices keep yelling about.

#2442 3 years ago

Time to wait for gameplay video and stop the normal arguing about how people don't like other people posting opinions opposite to their own. It's embarrassing. But then we couldn't get to the point where someone gets off on posting "3000th post!" . Wow , that really must make a lucky pinsider feel good.

If you have pinside posting addiction, get help.

#2443 3 years ago

Look, let's all go enjoy our Sunday. Machine will make those who buy happy. People saying Stern's playfield art layout is standard and they wanted something different, fine. I'll guess I'll buy that. Even if the top half has no art and the inserts don't mesh. It is what it is. Hope the 300 buyers enjoy and love this pin. Charlie, we still love you and all Spooky stands for.

#2444 3 years ago

Ok, so the bottom line for me and many others, the 300 that will buy it, is I personally LOVE the cab art and really LIKE the play field art.

It works for me, like I said, exceeding my expectations, because the bar is pretty low from Stern and AMH quite honestly (artwork wise).

Next topic, what is the code and play gonna be like? It's a GREAT theme for me, like TWD, which I loved from day one, and its unique and different which fits my style, so I'm very optimistic.

Yet it remains to be seen. Looking forward to some play video!

#2445 3 years ago

The more I look at the playfield, the more I like it. Ok, the art isn't super busy, but it's an oil painting, not a vector drawing. You're going to lose a lot of details in the lightshow on a painting. For example, I played a LOTR last night and I tell you that in a dimly lighted room, you can barely even notice there's any art on the damned playfield at all.

The rest of the game is so busy, that the middle kind of balances it out. I think that if the group of inserts in the middle were shifter up about an inch and a half, or there a couple more inserts somewhere in the negative space between the tombstone and all the hardware in the back, it wouldn't look sparse at all. Watch the video again, when you're viewing the playfield from a player's perspective, as it was meant, and not an overhead shot, that negative space disappears a bit. Kinda like Michaelangelo had to paint God and Adam's arms unusually long so that why'd appear correctly on the curved dome of the Sistine Chapel. Though, to a less extreme extent.

Edited for example. Look at this pic, which is a little extreme on the angle, but illustrates my point. For crying out loud, Horley pays his bills with his painting skills, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of knowing and accounting for the proper viewing angle of his work. image.jpeg

#2446 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What I'd like hear discussed is who is Fawzma, aka Fozzy, and how good will the code on this game actually be.
And this matters most doesn't it? It does to me.

I'm interested in this as well. From what I've seen so far, he's very responsive to suggestions, and AMH has shown that Spooky is dedicated when it comes to updates.

#2447 3 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

The more I look at the playfield, the more I like it. Ok, the art isn't super busy, but it's an oil painting, not a vector drawing. You're going to lose a lot of details in the lights how on a painting. For example, I played a LOTR last night and I tell you that in a dimly lighted room, you can barely even notice there's any art on the damned playfield at all.

^^^^^^^^^

It's a piece of "art", not a "vector drawing" that was formed by melting a skittles box and spreading it all over the play field.

I'm beginning to think I've got quite an eye for this art thing now.

The more you look at it, the details, and how it all works together, its different and its really cool.

#2448 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I didn't buy an acdc pro because of the playfield. RZ is much better than that.

#2449 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

I see things are back to normal around pinside...

...Where a couple of loudmouths have to beat everyone over the head with their opinions. Say what you feel and move on. After that take the petty bickering to PM, please.

Let Spooky have their moment. I really hope that they don't give two shits about the petulant whining. I know I wouldn't lose sleep over the loud minority. They will grow with each pin that they make and only get better.

#2450 3 years ago

Last thing for now. If you go to a haunted house, they usually have tons of stuff set up outside (usually just on the front facade) to get you pumped to go in. At one place I worked at, we had this big wall with figures and the attraction's logo and whatnot enticing people to give us their money.

Once you walk in, the rooms are without exception dark with only minimal highlights. There is something central to the room that is your focus.

Intentional or not, that is exactly what I think of the art and why I like it.

I am actually apparently the only one not wholly sold by the side art. I wish it billboarded the name of the game more.

Don't know what else to say about it, the package is unique and fun. I don't need another TFTC playfield, I already have one. Ditto Metallica.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods
Machine - For Sale
Valley, NEBRASKA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
There are 10479 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 210.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside