IMG_7429 (resized).png
2024-01-30 14.05.02 (resized).jpg
sr17 (resized).jpg
R0010137 (resized).jpg
R0010139 (resized).jpg
R0010136 (resized).jpg
R0010127 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 11,119 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 223.
#2301 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Personally, I think Aurich will back up everything he has every said with his work on Alien. I think it is easy to label someone like Aurich as a negative nelly, but the kid has not let us down once. Not only does he know pinball and is Passionate, but God gave his a very good "artists eye". He understand composition and color arrangement very well. He has already proven himself in my book.

I hope my post doesn't come across as too critical, it wasn't intended to be a jab at Aurich. I could be wrong, but it just seems to me he has a big problem with it because he is an artist himself, is a big fan of the theme, practically pitched the same title to Charlie earlier and no doubt had his own vision of what it should look like. I often find that I am critical of art with which I have a stronger connection to subject matter. I don't claim to be an artist of great skill, but I understand the feeling of something being a lot different than your artistic anticipation.

#2302 8 years ago

Psst, Europe question?

#2303 8 years ago

I totally love Rob Zombie music and artwork. But what matters most to me when I buy a pinball machine is the playability. How much fun it is the overall experience? Does it get my adrenaline going? Does it keep me coming back for more punishment? I cannot wait to jam out on this one!

#2304 8 years ago

Never going to please everyone. "It looks the same as everything else" - "It looks different than everything else"

Something tells me this game will play bad ass, but as with all pins, we should reserve judgement until we play it, or at least see people play it.

Bravo to Spooky for thinking outside the box and having the balls to go through with it. The guts its took to start this company and keep it going like this is remarkable.

#2305 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Aurich, man, that Alien art package better blow everyone away or your super critical analysis of Horley's stuff is going to come back to bite you.

People can think whatever they want about Alien. Everyone has the same right to criticism as I do. If they don't like it they don't like it. Feel free to say so, I can take it. Don't dish it out if you can't.

#2306 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Uh. They literally are the same game, you can even swap the ROMs. It was just a retheme. That's kind of a terrible example. But yes, Stern games tend to look like "Stern games".

Cabinet and translite are just posters for the most part. Billboards, signs, whatever. You have a shape, and you get to fill it with art. It's a familiar thing to just about any artist.
Playfields are definitely trickier.

At least I'm not alone.

I can't wait to see the Alien artwork so I can critique it to death.

#2307 8 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Aliens looks ok, but definitely prefer the zombie artwork so far

Me too, if we're comparing cabinet and translite art. Alex Horley's painting vs me recreating a brand guideline? He wins hands down. Great work.

This isn't a pissing contest.

RZ will sell out long before Alien is ready. They're not competing. I have no issues.

#2308 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I can't wait to see the Alien artwork so I can critique it to death.

Go for it. See above.

Wtf man? I'm on the RZ list. Am I not allowed to have an opinion about what it looks like and be unsure if I want to buy it?

People want to turn this weirdly personal. Knock yourself out critiquing my work. It's a discussion forum. Have an opinion, it's all good.

#2309 8 years ago

It just gets old. GoT, Hobbit, RZ.

It's okay to have an opinion and I respect it but it just seems you carry on about it. Walk away from the keyboard every once in awhile. Wtf man? Don't take it personal.

I know people go ga ga about the art but honestly, I'll take the entire package our the art.

#2310 8 years ago

Aurich looks at it as a professional which is why I always respect his opinion.

Everybody sees it in their own way to their mind's eye.

I can't pick out details or flaws very good but I'm just not seeing why everybody doesn't like it.

The more I look at it the more I like it. I really like the color palette and lighting and how it integrates with the toys.

It fits what I personally like. And I hated GOT art.

And again, it's hand drawn art! I think Horley killed it

#2311 8 years ago

It's just a pinball machine. You either are on the list and want one, are on the list and are going to pass, or your not on the list at all. All 3 groups are going to be OK.

Looks pretty cool to me, if the code turns out good it will be a winner.

#2312 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Am I not allowed to have an opinion about what it looks like and be unsure if I want to buy it?

Allowed? Yes.

Now, will most people listen to you "in a vacuum" as distinct from your affiliation to the Alien project? No...

You are presently affiliated with another company, and in "most" people's heads that disqualifies you from being capable of having "unbiased" opinions free from an agenda.

Quoted from Aurich:

People want to turn this weirdly personal.

It's NOT personal. It's situational. We know have an odd situation.

Imagine if we saw Gary Stern commenting in a JJP thread -- most of us would quickly think he had an agenda, even if it was just his opinion.

Imagine that while you are affiliated with another company, all your commentary will be filtered as "likely having an agenda". Nothing personal to you -- that's an automatic thing humans do. I'm sure you considered this before taking on the gig. It's now tricky to separate "Aurich the pinball-enthusiast" from "Aurich the artist for Alien."

There are lots of situations in life where we take on a new role XYZ, and we no longer have the freedoms we had before we took on the role. We know that once the role is over, the freedoms you had previously are mostly restored.

I can see/hear your opinions "in a vacuum", and I can imagine they are genuine and unbiased, but most people will not take the time to give you that benefit of the doubt (esp on the internet). It's all pitchforks and brimstone on the internet (by default) and you already know that.

There's no drama in giving you the benefit of the doubt, and keyboard commandos are "hungry for drama"...

---

I always appreciate your commentary, and so I choose to assume you are unbiased, and thinking about "what's best for pinball" -- and we've never met in person. That's just my choice.

-mof

#2313 8 years ago

I don't understand how anybody who is on the list for RZ could be "on the fence". Like iceman44 said, buy it and play it. If it doesn't suit you, sell it...... for a profit. Not every game can be a keeper.

#2314 8 years ago

I'm waiting for more information before committing. Gameplay video, podcast I need to listen to, bits and pieces from Charlie on Pinside... whatever the source. $6K is a lot for me and I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting all the information I can absorb before making a commitment . Charlie gave us a week to decide and I'll probably use most of it. Doesn't mean I'm not a huge fan of Spooky, I just prefer not to make big-money emotional decisions if I can help it.

#2315 8 years ago

I can't wait to hear about the rules and programming. The rules and programming, the light show and the music make or break a modern day pinball. You can have a unconventional layout that is fun but the programming keeps you coming back for more.

Kudos to the team making this pin and congrats to the lucky 300 owners.

#2316 8 years ago

Totally agree with Mof, Aurich is 1000% unbiased and he always called it like he sees it.

Been doing that long before he signed onto Alien. I'm sure that art will be great too. And I'm also sure there will always be people that won't like it and can't please. It's pinball!

#2317 8 years ago

As I've said before, if you think this is bad, wait until Lawlor's game is announced.

This place is going to explode.

#2318 8 years ago

Sorry but this pin looks like someone rethemed an old game to Rob Zombie, I thought is was joke at first. I wasn't a fan of AMH either and this doesn't look very good to me at all, hopefully it plays well. JMO mind you, I like IJ4 so what the hell do I know.

#2319 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Sorry but this pin looks like someone rethemed an old game to Rob Zombie, I thought is was joke at first. I wasn't a fan of AMH either and this doesn't look very good to me at all, hopefully it plays well. JMO mind you, I like IJ4 so what the hell do I know.

Posting an opinion that doesn't fit in with the norm? On an internet forum?!? Are you nuts?!?

#2320 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I don't understand how anybody who is on the list for RZ could be "on the fence". Like iceman44 said, buy it and play it. If it doesn't suit you, sell it...... for a profit. Not every game can be a keeper.

I'm a middle class dude. I do pretty well for myself, not singing any kind of sob story, I have a nice collection of pins.

But at least for me putting $1000 down, and then waiting a year or whatever and then spending another $6000 (shipping and taxes) isn't a casual thing. It's real money, and I have to give up a pin for it. I'm not in a position where I can just snap my fingers during the holidays when I'm buying my family gifts and make that kind of money appear.

I can get it if I really want it, but it means making some kind of "sacrifice" on some level, so it's not a casual decision.

Someone's already PM'd me to ask if he can buy it from me if I don't like it, I have no doubt I could move it easily. But I wouldn't feel good about flipping it for a profit, not my style.

Look, no one cares about my money. But the point is, when people go "this is a gut decision, get in now or forget it!" I just shake my head. Actually, I'd like as much info as possible before deciding, thanks. And if that means waiting until Friday and then dropping out because I'm still not comfortable then okay. There's a list, my spot will go to someone else, and that week will make zero difference.

#2321 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Totally agree with Mof, Aurich is 1000% unbiased and he always called it like he sees it.
Been doing that long before he signed onto Alien. I'm sure that art will be great too. And I'm also sure there will always be people that won't like it and can't please. It's pinball!

Thanks man. I know it gets me trouble sometimes, and I'm not oblivious or stupid about it honestly, but this is my hobby and you get me in my hobby mode at all times. I hope Alien sells! But not to the point where I sit here thinking about how 300 RZ games might affect me or something.

Every game stands on its own to me. From any company.

I am trying to be a little more careful, but I can't see how anything I've said in this thread could possibly be construed as anything other than someone who's in on the list and torn about whether or not to get the game.

Isn't that part of what Pinside is about? Discussing this stuff?

#2322 8 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

stop thinking about how sad you are, close the Pinside window, and do something productive that makes you happy.

Ouch.jpgOuch.jpg

#2323 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Apparently not. I've been down-voted numerous times in this thread because I'm being too negative.

Sorry if I'm raining on everyone's parade. I just don't think this looks like a $6,000+ game.

#2324 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Apparently not. I've been down-voted numerous times in this thread because I'm being too negative.
Sorry if I'm raining on everyone's parade. I just don't think this looks like a $6,000+ game.

I think there's a difference between being critical and negative. Focus more on the first and less on the second and you'll probably get a different reaction from people.

#2325 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think there's a difference between being critical and negative. Focus more on the first and less on the second and you'll probably get a different reaction from people.

I'm not trying to be negative at all. Believe me, I love Rob Zombie! Big fan of his music, "meh" fan of his movies. I was just as excited as anyone for this reveal. I just wasn't feeling it when I first saw the video. The game just looks cheap. That's my opinion, and apparently people don't like it very much.

#2326 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Aurich,
Youve said your mind, over and over, we get it, your not thrilled at this point. But just leave it alone then, you have over 112 post in this thread alone, its time to let go. PM Charlie directly your opinions and such and make your decision. But really, at this point, your constant nagging is annoying now.

I understand that your an artist, so this is close to home for you. I have no problem with you voicing your opinion, thats what we all need to do, just that you dont have to voice it again, and again, and again, and again.

#2327 8 years ago

Sad and depressed but not insulted......so you got that going for ya.

#2328 8 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

But really, at this point, your constant nagging is annoying now.

Okay mom, thanks.

#2329 8 years ago

FWIW I haven't made a decision yet either. I pretty much agree with everything that Aurich has said. I have till Friday to make a decision and maybe we'll see some gameplay to help us decide by then. The cabinet and translite art blows me away, yet I'm more concerned about gameplay at this point. I just feel like if it had just a bit more on the playfield this would be easy. I'm not stressing about it, if I decide to get it cool, if I don't, that's cool too. Just taking my time to decide and I see no point in getting into a rush over it.

#2330 8 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

You have no idea how depressed I am and heartbroken... that a pinball machine is capable of leaving you heartbroken, and depressed.
I get it man... you're not thrilled. Don't buy it, it's only a toy you play in your free time. It it's not for you, that's perfectly fine... stop thinking about how sad you are, close the Pinside window, and do something productive that makes you happy.

Yeah, I can't wait until we see final Alien pinball art and we all can be depressed and not-thrilled (sarcastic) lmao

#2331 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Then you'll be really shocked when these trade for $20k in 2 or 3 years supply/demand and theme. To date no pinball machine made in this quantity like it.
It will not be sold among pinball collectors much I believe.

This has the making of a highly collectible game. Theme, music, art, color DMD, code. Limited production. Most if not all games sold to pinball people, never had the chance to get publicity to the Just the Rob Zombie fans.

#2332 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Then you'll be really shocked when these trade for $20k in 2 or 3 years supply/demand and theme. To date no pinball machine made in this quantity like it.
It will not be sold among pinball collectors much I believe.
This has the making of a highly collectible game. Theme, music, art, color DMD, code. Limited production. Most if not all games sold to pinball people, never had the chance to get publicity to the Just the Rob Zombie fans.

$20k by Christmas?

#2333 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Posting an opinion that doesn't fit in with the norm? On an internet forum?!? Are you nuts?!?

Oh yeah, and then some.

#2334 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hell yeah it is! Love your passion. You are Always respectful of other people and their opinions and you always discuss in a polite way unlike myself sometimes

Keep it up. If other people don't like it it's their problem. Besides, it's always good to come back to earth a bit after a game is announced. I made that mistake on TBL!

As a group, we should be discussing and hashing it out, good, bad and the ugly. It's what Pinside is all about

At the end of the day, we should all be excited about another pin coming into the market for us to choose from

#2335 8 years ago

Something to carefully think about............

You are standing next to Charlie at a pinball show.

Would you say to Charlie, ( while looking him in the eye) the game looks cheap, the art sucks, etc.?

If not, then maybe the best thing here is to say, it's not for me, not a theme in into etc.

We all have an opinion, me too.
You have to remember, Charlie put his home and family life at risk to start this company. He has put his blood, sweat,and years into making this work.

He seems to be a very gentle and kind man with a thick skin.

Long story short, think before you pull the trigger. Once you fire it. It can not be pulled back.

#2336 8 years ago

I agree with Aurich 1000% I think spooky needs to hear this kind of critique not to bring them down but help bring them up.
Were all rooting for them to succeed. Since they are NOT like stern, and since they do read these comments.since they are one of us. we're all hoping they hear it and fix whats wrong with it.

Aurich and everyone else knows that Alex's art is amazing. Its so amazing that it makes it that much more depressing how unamazing the rest is and how close it came to being really great.. The rest of it is not cohesive. The plastics, inserts etc are ruining the art.

if there's time to fix it. and spooky can be open to suggestions like JJP was I really hope they listen and take the time to make it perfect.
M

#2337 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Then you'll be really shocked when these trade for $20k

lol thats saying alot their

#2338 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

zeddex said:
You are kind of either in or out - gut feeling leap of faith. This just isn't a standard mull-it-around situation.
What? Why?
Good lord, this forum. Sometimes it's easy to forget we're talking about game pins here at all, and not collectors pins (and I mean the kind you pin onto your jacket). I don't spend $6,000 on instant gut leaps of faith, that's ridiculous. I care what my games look like, and I buy them to play, not just to stare at.

Totally understand, but at what point are you struggling with a personal decision out loud??? That is why you get this reaction. Don't be shocked. I understand all your mental battles on whether to buy or not, but I don't see the relevance it has to me or the next guy on this thread. I know there are several others with the same battle., but at what point should this discussion go to the basement???

#2339 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

$20k by Christmas?

I doubt it......

#2340 8 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

I doubt it......

In MN they spell hyperbole "MNPinball"

#2341 8 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I just feel like if it had just a bit more on the playfield this would be easy.

Maybe this is just the pro model, I'm sure the premium and Le versions are better.

#2342 8 years ago

Few opinions from a totally biased Spooky fan, who can't wait to get this pin:

-The art package kinda "dropped the mic" on the rest of the industry.

- The fact that a small company with INCREDIBLE customer service, could deliver a licensed hi-quality new pin with color dots, awesome sound system, LED's, and innovative toys (servos in pop bumpers!?).........lower then all the other manufacturers.....kinda "dropped the mic" on the industry.

- With 7 pinballs flying around this game's unique "open pops & upper slingshots" layout.....the last thing my sorry-ass playing ability needs is a typical "busy-art" playfield. I like the more minimal playfield approach in contrast with the super detailed cabinet art.

- Charlie has said the next game will have a "Sega" sized color display......hhmmmm, wonder what other manufacturer will try to get there first.

- The "flipper sequence" for adult code is a fantastic idea that should be looked into further

#2343 8 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

Totally understand, but at what point are you struggling with a personal decision out loud??? That is why you get this reaction. Don't be shocked. I understand all your mental battles on whether to buy or not, but I don't see the relevance it has to me or the next guy on this thread. I know there are several others with the same battle., but at what point should this discussion go to the basement???

This type of discussion will NEVER go to the basement.

Pinside is a pinball forum.

This discussion is about a new pinball machine. Nothing has been out of line so far in this discussion. We are all grown adults having a conversation about a pinball machine. As long as we continue to discuss this issue respectfully and without malice, then it will remain on the main forum.

Marcus

#2344 8 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

In MN they spell hyperbole "MNPinball"

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2345 8 years ago

Thank you Marcus. I didn't realize the basement was a negative thing?? Thanks for the clarification.

#2346 8 years ago

I have to admit there was a part of me that felt weird yesterday watching grown men squirm over whether they were on the list or not and then racing to be the first ones to send money in!

It was great for Charlie but it seemed like a Black Friday Midnight door buster rush with people trampling all over themselves

#2347 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It was great for Charlie but it seemed like a Black Friday Midnight door buster rush with people trampling all over themselves

Yep. Because when I think of Black Friday, the first thing that comes to mind is...pinball machines?

#2348 8 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

Thank you Marcus. I didn't realize the basement was a negative thing?? Thanks for the clarification.

Just to be clear. The basement is for "off topic" threads. The basement is not a negative place. It's just a place to discuss things other than pinball.

Marcus

#2349 8 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

Totally understand, but at what point are you struggling with a personal decision out loud??? That is why you get this reaction. Don't be shocked.

Because it's called a pinball forum dude and this is precisely what it's for. Everyone could keep ALL this shit to ourselves and never make a peep. When we meet up at shows we could just drop a Vulcan mindmeld on each other and save the calories it takes to flap our jaws. Phht.

For what it's worth I might be back in the game and have been following this title closely as I've been a fan since I first heard Sean's bass intro in Black Sunshine on Headbanger's Ball at 2:00am in what... '91 or something? Christ. Anyway, what surprises me is that more people don't share Aurich's assessment in totality. It's been a while, and I suppose it comes as no big shock I'm utterly simpatico with him, but seriously folks: What IS there to like on the look of the playfield? There's barely anything on it. Is it that the people so happy and money jumping LOVE the playfield, or is it that they tolerate it?

The lame playfield art/plastics might not be so glaring if the cabinet and backglass weren't the best in, oh, I don't know, ever. And not JUST the best, but so DIFFERENT. The cabinet is so saturated, so kinetic and then... an almost totally lifeless and bland playfield. Bizarre.

But, fuck it, that's just how it looks. The display looks awesome, the audio by all reports is great (though the clips in the reveal aren't exactly ground breaking) and if the rules and game play are even slightly below that of AMH it'll still be fun as hell. Hard to go wrong if the playfield doesn't bug you.

#2350 8 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

Totally understand, but at what point are you struggling with a personal decision out loud???

Because I agree with ice about this part:

Quoted from iceman44:

As a group, we should be discussing and hashing it out, good, bad and the ugly. It's what Pinside is all about

Isn't that what this place is for? To talk pinball, and what we think about it?

Quoted from mrgone:

You are standing next to Charlie at a pinball show.
Would you say to Charlie, ( while looking him in the eye) the game looks cheap, the art sucks, etc.?

Well, I wouldn't use those words, and I haven't used them here, but sure, anything I'm saying here I'd say in person. Charlie knows me, I post under my real name, he's reading this thread, what's the difference?

Quoted from miguelortega:

I agree with Aurich 1000% I think spooky needs to hear this kind of critique not to bring them down but help bring them up.
Were all rooting for them to succeed. Since they are NOT like stern, and since they do read these comments.since they are one of us. we're all hoping they hear it and fix whats wrong with it.

This. Yesterday I decided I would only say positive things, and I only talked about what I liked. I didn't want to hurt Charlie's feelings, I respect everything he's doing.

But then I started talking with people privately, and realizing we were all basically doing that. And it occurred to me that everyone tip toeing around and being polite wasn't really doing anyone any favors. I wouldn't want people blowing sunshine up my ass about what I was doing, tell me what you think. If you have good ideas or issues I'd like to hear them, it makes me better able to respond to people.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna do something different because someone speaks up, but you never know. We did it with Hobbit, and people said "stop being so negative you haters!" and JJP rolled with it. It hurt some feelings at first, I know this first hand. But then they buckled down and made it better, and the game looks awesome for it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 20.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 210.00
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods
Other
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 11,119 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 223.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-spook-show-international/page/47 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.