2024-02-20 13.12.31 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
RZ Glass (resized).png
Pinside_forum_8038068_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_6813 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7429 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 11,140 posts in this topic. You are on page 210 of 223.
#10451 4 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Just curious to what people have their Spaulding servo's set to. Mine doesn't seem to be sitting right, and will often cause the ball to get hung up. And when I go into the test menu, if I test the servo to open, it will get to a point where the game just craps out and goes into a reboot cycle and not stop unless power is fully shut off.

Figured it out over the weekend.

#10452 4 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Figured it out over the weekend.

What did you figure out and how did you fix?

#10453 4 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

What did you figure out and how did you fix?

Previous owner had actually the Spaulding piece pulled off and angled, so it wasn’t sitting on the servo properly. And when it tried to open it would Jam the servo, which would cause the reset.

Pulled Spaulding off and remounted it properly, and it works fine now. No more resets.

#10454 4 years ago

My wife and Sid at Scare LA exactly 5 years ago yesterday.

50EAF020-4CD8-4119-9427-F544C9EF38B0 (resized).jpeg50EAF020-4CD8-4119-9427-F544C9EF38B0 (resized).jpeg5DEFF28A-B529-4D16-A30F-1A4C5F68DDB9 (resized).jpeg5DEFF28A-B529-4D16-A30F-1A4C5F68DDB9 (resized).jpeg
#10455 4 years ago

Would any of you mind looking at the "open" and "close" values for your Spaulding servo and posting them here?

Thanks!

Added over 5 years ago:

Nevermind... I did a factory reset and all is good.

#10456 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

Do not bring Spooky into this.. this was my project.
No more mods are being made and haven't been made/sold in the past 2 years.
There is a bug in RZ that needs to be fixed, nothing major. At that time I'll revisit adding other mode items that came out after the mod came out.

Did a mix of clean and dirty call out options ever get added in an update?

If not, please do. Simple improvement. Variety is the spice of life.

Re: code on this game generally, I hope it gets opened up to the community somewhere further down the line - as it's obviously not going to get re-run, and the pinheck system is now defunct anyway. Although maybe that would require Ben's sign off too?

#10457 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Did a mix of clean and dirty call out options ever get added in an update?
If not, please do. Simple improvement. Variety is the spice of life.
Re: code on this game generally, I hope it gets opened up to the community somewhere further down the line - as it's obviously not going to get re-run, and the pinheck system is now defunct anyway. Although maybe that would require Ben's sign off too?

I'd be interested in looking at the code. Just wonder what language it was done in. Pretty sure ben open sourced the boardset and basic code, just haven't had a reason to dig into it.

#10458 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I'd be interested in looking at the code. Just wonder what language it was done in. Pretty sure ben open sourced the boardset and basic code, just haven't had a reason to dig into it.

Ben didnt write the game code for RZ. It was Fawzma. The OS is probably Ben.

#10459 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Ben didnt write the code for RZ. It was Fawzma.

I would think Ben and / or LongHorn Engineer did the basic system code and board firmware though, which I assume he's referring to. Either way, even if Fawzma did it, it's still defunct as they've now moved on to a totally different system.

Quoted from dung:

I think this was true, and game code itself for AMH was open source ... but the former was withdrawn and the latter's later versions closed, I think in part due to the HomePin saga. I would hope though, if Spooky / Ben etc were amenable to it, enough could be disclosed (even if it was only to parties who had to prove legitimate interest) to make further support or evolution of the game through the community possible.

PinHeck being end of life does have its advantages, if this comes to pass - they or anyone else are unlikely to open source the code on their current system. Also, I think Ben is working on a completely new board system that would compete with or replace the FAST & PROC systems, so perhaps the concerns about PinHeck being used / abused by competitors is now no longer so relevant.

#10460 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I would think Ben and / or LongHorn Engineer did the basic system code and board firmware though, which I assume he's referring to. Either way, even if Fawzma did it, it's still defunct as they've now moved on to a totally different system.

I think this was true, and game code itself for AMH was open source ... but the former was withdrawn and the latter's later version closed, I think in part due to the HomePin saga. I would hope though, if Spooky / Ben etc were amenable to it, enough could be disclosed (even if it was only to parties who had to prove legitimate interest) to make further support or evolution of the game through the community possible.

Not sure if the last RZ is still under warranty....Spooky might be reluctant to open the code up if games are still under warranty and code they control.

I'm all for continued development. I feel Spooky dropped the ball on RZ code development once ACNC hit the line. Several promises not kept.

#10461 4 years ago

I would hope another update is coming; there are still bugs in the latest version. Had one instance where display said P1 was up when P2 was the actual player up. It corrected itself once the ball was plunged, but that kind of stuff needs to be fixed.

#10462 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Ben didnt write the game code for RZ. It was Fawzma. The OS is probably Ben.

And that open sourced os would tell you what the language used was... Has nothing to do with who wrote the game specific code.

#10463 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

And that open sourced os would tell you what the language used was... Has nothing to do with who wrote the game specific code.

Im not following....I thought the desire was to modify the game code. Without having the orignal game source code available from Fawzma, having Ben's OS code isnt going to get you far....unless you are proposing rewriting all the game code.

Having seen snippets of code in the past from AMH, it's a language specific to the Heck board I believe. It's not like it's written in C or Perl.

#10464 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Im not following....I thought the desire was to modify the game code. Without having the orignal game source code available from Fawzma, having Ben's OS code isnt going to get you far....unless you are proposing rewriting all the game code.

Depends what it's written in. There are decompilers.

#10465 4 years ago

It's written in C++ and programmed to the board using a fork of Arduino that works with Microchip brand microcontrollers.

There is no operating system per se. There's a main housekeeping loop and within its tasks a "your game" function is called that executes that specific game's logic. The board functions are accessed with calls to the "pinHeck" library.

The video processor is pretty funky but communications with it are all handled with library functions so programmer doesn't need to worry about it.

#10466 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Having seen snippets of code in the past from AMH, it's a language specific to the Heck board I believe. It's not like it's written in C or Perl.

What it is written in matters because it adds another hurdle. Having the source is great, but if it was written in say assembly I still wouldn't touch it because I don't have the time.

#10467 4 years ago

There will be 1 more code update coming to clean up a few minor bugs... I'm going to personally dig deep in the audio (especially Sid's) and see what else can be tossed in for fun.

The code is pretty complete in this game, with the exception of the few known bugs... which will get addressed over the winter.

If you know of specific bugs we may have missed, email them directly to [email protected] and they will be added to the list of what needs looking at. Posting them here isn't going to help so SEND THEM IN!

Since Fawzma gets to take Scott game #2 off for programming, he's going to be going back and cleaning up RZ, Domino's, and some on Jetson's for The Pinball Company while he finally has the time after Alice Cooper is wrapped up.

Thanks everyone!
20161120_161519(0) (resized).jpg20161120_161519(0) (resized).jpgIMG_20150626_110941648_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20150626_110941648_HDR (resized).jpg

#10468 4 years ago

Is no reverse flipper mode considered a bug or an abandoned feature?

#10469 4 years ago

Please make sure the “Jack F’ing pot” call out is included

#10470 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Is no reverse flipper mode considered a bug or an abandoned feature?

We were going to do "infected flippers" ... which was not reverse. It kept blowing fuses and we couldn't stabilize it safely so it was reduced to a selectable menu timed mode.

Reverse flippers in a 3 flipper game isn't a road we want to go down.

#10471 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Reverse flippers in a 3 flipper game isn't a road we want to go down.

C’mon Chuck go out on a limb and make it happen!

What’s the worst that could happen.

#10472 4 years ago

I'm grateful for whatever we get, it's not like they're returnable and most of us knew or now know the caveats to buying boutique. I got frustrated and didn't chase a switch issue for MONTHS even though the troubleshooting process was straightforward (and Chris was very patient with me). Once my mind had cleared, I powered it back up and it worked fine.

Would I have bought it again? Well, yeah. I love the theme, think the art is second to none and the complete inappropriateness of it is fucking hilarious. It's a cool game and while I have all sorts of other fantastic pins I can play on location nearby or in friends' basements... well, this one was the one I wanted.

Besides, I still believe Charlie and Kayte love pinball as much or more than I do and this shit makes me happy. I wish them continued success.

I sure as shit wouldn't trade it for a Munsters.

1 week later
#10473 4 years ago

has anyone installed the new Medisynl Pussy Liquors sign? I have Tims old one and now this one... just wondering if anyone has tied in the Medisynl version to the mode so it flashes or lights up when the mode is available. As of now the install is a solid wiring into the 12v on the power supply.

#10474 4 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

has anyone installed the new Medisynl Pussy Liquors sign? I have Tims old one and now this one... just wondering if anyone has tied in the Medisynl version to the mode so it flashes or lights up when the mode is available. As of now the install is a solid wiring into the 12v on the power supply.

Still planning to look into this for you at some point, but have been very busy.

There are some scenarios where you can connect the positive lead to the appropriate power source (12V in this case) and the negative to the ground of the desired interaction (for example, some games with multiple flashers can have an LED strip connected to 12V and each color ground lead to a different flasher for an array of effects off just one strip). I have yet to check if RZ works in a way that this would be the result.

#10475 4 years ago

I just installed Medisinyl Pussy Liquors and Murder Ride sign and I can't talk them up enough. Easy install and wonderful instructrions. They look like something Spooky would have put in the machine if they had the time and money. Medisyinyl honestly makes some of the best mods for Spooky machines. All the Rob Zombie mods are awesome and the Alice Cooper ones look just a good. Seriously just buy them all right now.

#10476 4 years ago
Quoted from mackey256:

I just installed medisinyl Pussy Liquors and Murder Ride sign and I can't talk them up enough. Easy install and wonderful instructrions. They look like something Spooky would have put in the machine if they had the time and money. Medisyinyl honestly makes some of the best mods for Spooky machines. All the Rob Zombie mods are awesome and the Alice Cooper ones look just a good. Seriously just buy them all right now.

Ha...well...thank you!

Hope I can live up to that praise for others, but now expectations will be so high

Truly appreciate the positive feedback

1 week later
#10477 4 years ago

how do you change the song playing?

#10478 4 years ago
Quoted from ag90IL:

how do you change the song playing?

The songs just randomly okay. Only way to select a song is to start that songs mode by shooting the left orbit to start the song modes

3 weeks later
#10479 4 years ago

My routed RZ was having display problems, so I wrote Charlie an email and he responded immediately with some troubleshooting tips. When those didn't work he told me to send him the display board, and it was repaired in a day by way of a reflashed AV chip. As always, spooky provides superb responsiveness, great tech support, and genuine kindness. Much appreciated.

2 weeks later
#10480 4 years ago

Can anyone that has a game with a few thousand plays comment on the condition of the game now? Any common point of failures? Any issues a potential buyer should be aware of before buying one? Thanks guys.

#10481 4 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

Can anyone that has a game with a few thousand plays comment on the condition of the game now? Any common point of failures? Any issues a potential buyer should be aware of before buying one? Thanks guys.

make sure that when the game is transported you secure the robot as it was from the factory. failure to do so could result in the servo losing it position and the running past its limits (therefore causing the servo to possibly burn up.

#10482 4 years ago

I’ve replaced rubbers in mine and a couple switches that went bad and that’s it.

Mine has been HUO but has been played a lot.

#10483 4 years ago

I had to replace a broken flipper spring, and also had to re-solder a couple of coils whose wires had broken free. Overall, it's been remarkably solid. Good job Spooky minions!

#10484 4 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I had to replace a broken flipper spring, and also had to re-solder a couple of coils whose wires had broken free. Overall, it's been remarkably solid. Good job Spooky minions!

Same here....wire fell off the coil, and the switch issue under the upper playfield. That's it. Been rock solid.

1 week later
#10485 4 years ago

Hey Guys, I just got a rzle and it has a bunch of issues. I was hoping you could help me out.

1. All the leds flicker like they need a ocd led board during game and attract mode. (Test mode they all light up fine.)

2. The clown doesn’t work properly and the robot doesn’t move at all. In test, the robot tests make the clown move back and forth. The clown test doesn’t move anything. Tried switching the cables that connect both and switch them, then they just both don’t work.

3. The right flipper when I hit the start button was locked in the engaged position. In test it always shows as on. But the leaf switches and the coil leafs look fine.

4. The game struggles to keep track of balls in the trough. But not always. Sometimes it will say missing balls other times it doesn’t. :/

5. When the ball goes past the clown and down the hole, it seems to get caught up. I can only get it down from shaking the machine or putting another ball down the hole.

Please help.

Thanks.

#10486 4 years ago

Suggest you contact Spooky service via email.

[email protected]

rd

#10487 4 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Hey Guys, I just got a rzle and it has a bunch of issues. I was hoping you could help me out.
1. All the leds flicker like they need a ocd led board during game and attract mode. (Test mode they all light up fine.)
2. The clown doesn’t work properly and the robot doesn’t move at all. In test, the robot tests make the clown move back and forth. The clown test doesn’t move anything. Tried switching the cables that connect both and switch them, then they just both don’t work.
3. The right flipper when I hit the start button was locked in the engaged position. In test it always shows as on. But the leaf switches and the coil leafs look fine.
4. The game struggles to keep track of balls in the trough. But not always. Sometimes it will say missing balls other times it doesn’t. :/
5. When the ball goes past the clown and down the hole, it seems to get caught up. I can only get it down from shaking the machine or putting another ball down the hole.
Please help.
Thanks.

Sounds like an awful lot of stuff to go wrong all at once.
Was the machine on route and not maintained or something like that?

The robot not moving at all is probably a worn out servo, which probably needs replaced.
This and Captain Spaulding (the clown) both use servos to turn them.
It's basically the same kind of servo that used in the RC hobby for RC cars and airplanes.
The robot one probably needs replaced as it get the most use and since the gears are plastic they can wear out.
Most hobby shops and RC hobby websites sell them, but if you want something more robust go with one with metal gears.

Captain Spaulding (clown) is only active in certain modes, so he might not be broken.
Does he move back and forth at game start up?
Its possible something back there has come loose or is misaligned, which also might be why the ball is not falling through the hole.
I.E. that might actually be one problem, not two.

I would check and see if you have a bent or broken switch in the ball though.
Maybe its just not registering correctly when the balls are feeding in and out?

Like Dave mentioned I would reach out to Spooky and see if they can help you with some of the stuff like the light problem.
They are pretty amazing when it comes to helping people out with tech stuff.

Oh, yeah.
Congratulations on the new pick up.
It's a pretty awesome game.

#10488 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Sounds like an awful lot of stuff to go wrong all at once.
Was the machine on route and not maintained or something like that?
The robot not moving at all is probably a worn out servo, which probably needs replaced.
This and Captain Spaulding (the clown) both use servos to turn them.
It's basically the same kind of servo that used in the RC hobby for RC cars and airplanes.
The robot one probably needs replaced as it get the most use and since the gears are plastic they can wear out.
Most hobby shops and RC hobby websites sell them, but if you want something more robust go with one with metal gears.
Captain Spaulding (clown) is only active in certain modes, so he might not be broken.
Does he move back and forth at game start up?
Its possible something back there has come loose or is misaligned, which also might be why the ball is not falling through the hole.
I.E. that might actually be one problem, not two.
I would check and see if you have a bent or broken switch in the ball though.
Maybe its just not registering correctly when the balls are feeding in and out?
Like Dave mentioned I would reach out to Spooky and see if they can help you with some of the stuff like the light problem.
They are pretty amazing when it comes to helping people out with tech stuff.
Oh, yeah.
Congratulations on the new pick up.
It's a pretty awesome game.

Thank you for the response. Yes the game was on route. Apparently the clown servo works but the robot was unplugged and connections bent. I unbent them and plugged it back in but the servo is toast.

Both optos weren’t working on the upper Playfield. But after uninstalling and reconnecting everything to the board they started working.

I do have a blown resistor and chip which controls my right flipper so it needs a board repair but The individual who traded it to me is taking care of it to make it perfect and sending a new servo so all is good

Very happy for the pickup. I love Rob zombie both his movies and his music. Seen him live a ton. Great performer.

Does anyone have links to the best mods? I am looking for the person who makes the target decals for the targets and what inner art blade ls do you all recommend?

Anyone know where to locate the Rob zombie head for the plunger? Also, what plunger spring color is correct? Mine is so strong you cannot hit the skill shot.

Does anyone have a led kit they recommend or the best bulbs to use? The game was swapped with very very cheap white leds all over and they flicker terribly.

Thanks for your help guys! Rock on.

#10489 4 years ago

I got the target decals on eBay.

#10490 4 years ago

Is there a led chart for this game? How many of each type, colors etc?

#10491 4 years ago

Is there a led chart for this game? How many of each type, colors etc?

[email protected]

This is the tech support email and they are very prompt with responses. Give them a shout and I’m sure they will get you straightened out quickly.

#10492 4 years ago

Thank you for the response. Yes the game was on route. Apparently the clown servo works but the robot was unplugged and connections bent. I unbent them and plugged it back in but the servo is toast.
Both optos weren’t working on the upper Playfield. But after uninstalling and reconnecting everything to the board they started working.
I do have a blown resistor and chip which controls my right flipper so it needs a board repair but The individual who traded it to me is taking care of it to make it perfect and sending a new servo so all is good
Very happy for the pickup. I love Rob zombie both his movies and his music. Seen him live a ton. Great performer.
Does anyone have links to the best mods? I am looking for the person who makes the target decals for the targets and what inner art blade ls do you all recommend?
Anyone know where to locate the Rob zombie head for the plunger? Also, what plunger spring color is correct? Mine is so strong you cannot hit the skill shot.
Does anyone have a led kit they recommend or the best bulbs to use? The game was swapped with very very cheap white leds all over and they flicker terribly.
Thanks for your help guys! Rock on.

Awesome, my wife and I have seen him several times as well.
He really puts on a rockin show and is among our favorite performers to go see.

Sounds like you're making some great progress.
As far as mods I would reach out to Greg at Medisinyl Mods.
He makes some really killer stuff that fill out the play field nicely and looks bitchin.
https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1394-medisinyl-mods
If you're into Robs films, then you will love Gregs mods as they tie right in and have a lot of though put into them as far as style and integration.

#10493 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Awesome, my wife and I have seen him several times as well.
He really puts on a rockin show and is among our favorite performers to go see.
Sounds like you're making some great progress.
As far as mods I would reach out to Greg at Medisinyl Mods.
He makes some really killer stuff that fill out the play field nicely and looks bitchin.
https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1394-medisinyl-mods
If you're into Robs films, then you will love Gregs mods as they tie right in and have a lot of though put into them as far as style and integration.

Thanks! I got in contact with him and bought one of each mod

What brand LED’s do you guys think are of the highest quality and output for this game under inserts? Gi? Comet? Cointaker? Frosted, non frosted?

#10494 4 years ago

Thanks! I got in contact with him and bought one of each mod
What brand LED’s do you guys think are of the highest quality and output for this game under inserts? Gi? Comet? Cointaker? Frosted, non frosted?

Comet is the go to. 2SMD for inserts. 1SMD frosted for GI.

Personally - I would focus on fixing all the game issues 100% and get the game playing perfectly before you go modifying anything.

I know it is tempting ... resist the temptation and get it working properly first.

rd

#10495 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Personally - I would focus on fixing all the game issues 100% and get the game playing perfectly before you go modifying anything.
I know it is tempting ... resist the temptation and get it working properly first.
rd

I think that pretty sound advice.

#10496 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Comet is the go to. 2SMD for inserts. 1SMD frosted for GI.
rd

Yeah, you know how it goes though. Lol. Thanks for the recommendation. I picked some leds up.

Does anyone know what color spring is used for the plunger? I’m pretty sure the one on this game was swapped with a much much firmer one than original. Could someone look at their game for me?

#10497 4 years ago

Yeah, you know how it goes though. Lol. Thanks for the recommendation. I picked some leds up.
Does anyone know what color spring is used for the plunger? I’m pretty sure the one on this game was swapped with a much much firmer one than original. Could someone look at their game for me?

Factory spring was too firm for my liking. New players would yank it back and unnecessarily smack stuff in the game pretty hard.

I have a much softer spring for my RZ plunger as a proper skill shot attempt should only need a light plunge.

Ended up buying a kit with about 5 different springs and tested them until I got what I liked. What I use may be considered too light for some.

#10498 4 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Factory spring was too firm for my liking. New players would yank it back and unnecessarily smack stuff in the game pretty hard.
I have a much softer spring for my RZ plunger as a proper skill shot attempt should only need a light plunge.
Ended up buying a kit with about 5 different springs and tested them until I got what I liked. What I use may be considered too light for some.

Thanks!

1 week later
#10499 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

make sure that when the game is transported you secure the robot as it was from the factory. failure to do so could result in the servo losing it position and the running past its limits (therefore causing the servo to possibly burn up.

Any idea how it was packaged from the factory? Tape, foam or something?

#10500 4 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

I’ve seen him 6 or so times and always left very satisfied. My only critique would be the limited catalog. I’m a tool fan as well, so, there you go.

Man..... I just saw Tool on their latest tour..... just incredible. I'm not sure anything can beat that for me. Love my Rob Zombie Pin though..... fast and furious!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

There are 11,140 posts in this topic. You are on page 210 of 223.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-spook-show-international/page/210?hl=mackey256 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.