2024-02-20 13.12.31 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
RZ Glass (resized).png
Pinside_forum_8038068_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_6813 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7429 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 11,140 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 223.
#951 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

If ColorDMD increases BOM of each game $100 x 250 = $25,000. The price of the game is same as AMH but they have a license and I can just speculate ~$500 per machine x 250 = $125,000. So if they add ColorDMD they would already be in the hole ~$150,000 over the run of this pin compared to AMH. My opinion, but I think they'd rather pay the artist and have that package then a ColorDMD and I think the majority of people would prefer that too..

This is when Pinside gets ridiculous. I stated a simple opinion "I'll be disappointed IF it's just another monochrome DMD". That's it. Calm down people. The world is not ending.

And the cost of an LCD (like the size of DP's for TBL) is very much in line with the cost of a DMD and quite possibly even cheaper! So your suggestion this would raise the price by 1K seems a bit absurd to me.

And yes Aurich, there certainly is some real effort in there to develop a UI on an LCD but there is also an effort in developing the UI on a DMD. I just don't believe the effort to be THAT much more significant over the development required on a DMD and the payoff seems to be well worth it. I don't need anything nearly as extensive as is being done for Hobbit. It's not that hard to understand why JJP, DP, Heighway, and now (soon to be) Stern have all moved in the direction of LCD.

#952 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Is it that hard to understand why JJP, DP, Heighway, and now (soon to be) Stern have all moved in the direction of LCD?

Thing is, colorDMD's make things look even older than monochrome DMD's haha... like old NES sprites or something.

Nothing wrong with LCD... just the expectation that creates in terms of design, animations, and so on.

And the more terrifying aspect to me is that suddenly every damn pinball game is gonna turn into a festival of movie clips. Tacky tacky tacky.

#953 8 years ago
Quoted from Volte6:

And the more terrifying aspect to me is that suddenly every damn pinball game is gonna turn into a festival of movie clips. Tacky tacky tacky.

Well, this might be a completely separate discussion but you raise an interesting point. I don't think the LCD's benefits are limited to being able to display actual movie clips as they were intended to be seen. The LCD simply provides a level of visual clarity (using color and high resolution graphics) that enable a player to more easily and quickly identify tasks to do, points, and areas completed. The high-res LCD simply provides a medium that more easily relays information (and more of it) to a player. Displaying high-res video animations is a bonus.

#954 8 years ago

Some Rob Zombie game hints that were dropped by Charlie on the most recent episode of the Spooky Pinball podcast:

- The artwork will not have naked girls, but it will have some "slightly-dressed" girls.
- The game will have drop targets.
- You will be able to see the playfield "hopefully before October if you're on the customers sales list", and you'll be able to see it in-person "probably October".

Listen to the full episode here:
http://www.spookypinball.com/http:/spookypinball.com/spooky-pinball-podcast-show-65/

#955 8 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

you'll be able to see it in-person "probably October".

Hope that means Expo!!

#956 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hope that means Expo!!

That's what I'm thinking!

#957 8 years ago
Quoted from Volte6:

Thing is, colorDMD's make things look even older than monochrome DMD's haha... like old NES sprites or something.

depends.. most of them look great, but I get what you mean. It's sort of like when nintendo made that TV adapter for gameboy, and let you colorize it.. but it looked like colored B&W
gameboycolorful[1].jpggameboycolorful[1].jpg

#958 8 years ago

I would take the right.

#959 8 years ago

EXCLUSIVE LOOK!

The display we're using for RZSI:

IMG_20150803_204205894.jpgIMG_20150803_204205894.jpg

#960 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

depends.. most of them look great, but I get what you mean. It's sort of like when nintendo made that TV adapter for gameboy, and let you colorize it.. but it looked like colored B&W
gameboycolorful[1].jpg

And yet, it's way easier to see at a glance what's going on and where your character is.

I have most of my DMD games with ColorDMDs now. I love them. I'd be totally happy with colored dots on new pins frankly.

#961 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

EXCLUSIVE LOOK!
IMG_20150803_204205894.jpg

That brings back some memories. I used to program games in basic on the TRS-80 model 100 whenever we went on road trips.

#962 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

EXCLUSIVE LOOK!

I will be super disappointed if you don't center the text on the screen before releasing it.

#963 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

EXCLUSIVE LOOK!

That will look freaking sweet if you can type on the display "7734" and play upside down. That would be so middle school awesome!

#964 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Code updates done with serial OR parallel interface! Just have to find a desktop made before 1994.

#965 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Still bummed I somehow missed the big release announcement for this title. I would love to be in on the preorder list.
If any one bails I'm happy to grab your spot.

Can you accidentally buy two of THESE so I can buy your extra...in payment plan form?

#966 8 years ago

Spooky is a small company and this is only their 2nd pin. They don't have a R&D department and a ton of engineers. KISS - Keep it Simple Stupid. If it means a difference of 3 to 4 months in development time then screw it for now. They can always add support to for a colorDMD thing later. Trust me, if this one is as fast as AMH you wont have time to see much of it unless your watching someone else play. Just getting a playable pin together with a cool theme is where their time and effort will go.

#967 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

This is when Pinside gets ridiculous. I stated a simple opinion "I'll be disappointed IF it's just another monochrome DMD". That's it. Calm down people. The world is not ending.

Seriously dude you're crying because you got 4 thumbs down?? Come have a beer with me and Kaneda and we'll tell you about getting thumbs down. You'll come out of the bar with thick skin.

#968 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Seriously dude you're crying because you got 4 thumbs down?? Come have a beer with me and Kaneda and we'll tell you about getting thumbs down.

Who cares about thumbs down? I was simply replying to the ridiculous comments like yours suggesting I was speculating (and nobody else does that around here.)

I'm starting to think even Kaneda wouldn't hang out with you.

#969 8 years ago

Ben is the R&D department lol

#970 8 years ago

"Come have a beer with me and Kaneda and we'll tell you about getting thumbs down."

Too F'n Funny

1 week later
#971 8 years ago

I've never heard of this Svengoolie guy... did some googling and he seems to fit the theme though

#972 8 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I've never heard of this Svengoolie guy... did some googling and he seems to fit the theme though

Ghoulardi was better.

#973 8 years ago

I've never heard of this Svengoolie guy

He was an icon on Fox (WFLD chicago before it became a national station)

Berrrwyyyn!

He also hosted an afternoon kids hour known as "the Koz zone"

#974 8 years ago

ive been trying to win a rubber chicken signed by sven used on the show now for over 2 years..he signs one per week or month..this item a must for Chicago horror movie fan..you enter contest on his web sight..i will continue to try to win this rubber chicken every month until I get this bird to hang up proudly.

#975 8 years ago

He's the equivalent to Elvira on Saturday Nights playing a "B" horror movie and making corny comments here and there. Actually, he's pretty entertaining.

#976 8 years ago

i love watching the Svengoolie movie on Saturdays

#977 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

He was an icon on Fox (WFLD chicago before it became a national station)
Berrrwyyyn!

He also hosted an afternoon kids hour known as "the Koz zone"

They showed this years ago here. Being in PA, I didn't even realize the reference wasn't to PA's Berwyn which is a Philly suburb.
Ah, the good old days before the internet!

#978 8 years ago

Yep... this is for real and gonna be a blast!

Sven.jpgSven.jpg

#979 8 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Sven.jpg

Very cool - that guy is a legend, we even get him out here...
(And we have our own copycat show out here with two dudes dressed in rubber suits kinda lika GWAR)
-mof

#980 8 years ago

damn! maybe I can get a rubber chicken signed!! I will be at pinball life for sure that day!..sven,spooky pinball..its in the stars for my chicken signed and I will now begin to find a proper place for this possible new addition to our arcade..please gods of pinball smile on me with this chicken signed by sven and charle both!

#981 8 years ago

So... what's the over and under on when Pinball Life Open House overtakes Expo?

I'm gonna bet 3 years.

#982 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

what's the over and under on when Pinball Life Open House overtakes Expo?

problem is the limited space.. unless Terry starts renting outside tents like MGC, I don't see how it can get any bigger.

#983 8 years ago

Haha, Dan probably said the same thing about MGC when it moved from a VFW basement to a high school gym.

#984 8 years ago

I have skipped expo for 3 years but gone to PBL open house so its already happened for me.

#985 8 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Sven.jpg

Nice Charlie! Watched Sven since I was 6. Still find a station with his show once in a while.

2 weeks later
#986 8 years ago

Benton, WI Labor Day Parade!

Screenshot_2015-09-07-10-52-46.pngScreenshot_2015-09-07-10-52-46.png

#987 8 years ago

Proto Backglass? is looking pretty good there Charlie.

#988 8 years ago

Looks like what was described early on for the standard BG...very cool

#989 8 years ago

Making Benton proud Charlie! Way to go!!!

#990 8 years ago

And thanks for letting us stop by the shop yesterday Charlie!

20150906_135915.jpg20150906_135915.jpg

#991 8 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

Screenshot_2015-09-07-10-52-46.png

Quoted from benheck:

Standard BG has Rob lording over the characters, arms outstretched. Characters from his movies / videos around him, a giant moon, a huge werewolf and other stuff. Living Dead Girl, Baby, Spaulding, the axe guy...
LE BG is Rob driving the Dragula towards camera, running over skeletons and the characters jumping out of the way. More of an action shot.
They both look BAD ASS. I'm sure Chuck will post them when ready - the standard should be pretty close.

Yup, description lines up with the picture pretty well. Pretty sweet. Now to wait to see the LE BG!

#992 8 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

Hmm, looks a little muddy and dark, but that's the style of that artist. The playfield is going to need a lot of lighting.

#993 8 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

Screenshot_2015-09-07-10-52-46.png

Man, those new cabinet legs look a bit spindly .... Hope they get beefed up for production.

rd

#994 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Man, those new cabinet legs look a bit spindly .... Hope they get beefed up for production.
rd

Its probably the photo. I doubt they are making their own legs. Looks like its coming along nicely though.

#995 8 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Its probably the photo. I doubt they are making their own legs. Looks like its coming along nicely though.

It was a joke about the parade float.....

#996 8 years ago

If that IS the real backglass they hit a homerun.

#997 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It was a joke about the parade float.....

Hahaha ... My joke went Woooooooooooosh right over the top.

rd

#998 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

EXCLUSIVE LOOK!

Finally! A greyscale display, I thought nobody was listening to the forums - but Ben is out in front on technology as usual.

#999 8 years ago

Looks awesome to me If the rest matches it will be the best looking pin in a very long time IMO.

#1000 8 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Looks awesome to me If the rest matches it will be the best looking pin in a very long time IMO.

Agreed. Gonna be one amazing machine. Can't wait.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

$ 210.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

There are 11,140 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 223.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-spook-show-international/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.