Topic Stats

• 10,479 posts
  • 599 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by JOESCHALL
  • Topic is favorited by 104 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,193 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

50EAF020-4CD8-4119-9427-F544C9EF38B0 (resized).jpeg
5DEFF28A-B529-4D16-A30F-1A4C5F68DDB9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3858 (resized).jpg
IMG_3857 (resized).jpg
IMG_3856 (resized).jpg
20191005_213740 (resized).jpg
20191005_213729 (resized).jpg
20191005_221951 (resized).jpg
20191005_221631 (resized).jpg
20191005_221713 (resized).jpg
20191005_221535 (resized).jpg
20191004_231821 (resized).jpg
20191004_230221 (resized).jpg
20191004_225937 (resized).jpg
20191004_225047 (resized).jpg
20190926_165833 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10479 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 210.
#851 4 years ago

Can't wait to see the Goodies!

#852 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

From RZ's FB page...
Let's take moment to remember our fallen friends from House Of 1000 Corpses. It was a blast to work and know each of them.
Karen Black 1939 - 2013
Dennis Fimple 1940 - 2002
Irwin Keyes 1952 - 2015
Matt McGrory 1973 - 2005
Tom Towles - 1950 - 2015
Harrison Young 1930 - 2005
10986992_10153168848023323_3227757261727249149_n.jpg

I can't believe all those people are dead.

#853 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I can't believe all those people are dead.

People die. It's what we do.

#854 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Not really, they mentioned they 'had' to do it because of it leaking. Yet Stern doesn't 'have' to do it when they leak stuff, they do it when they're ready. That's why I wasn't sure why the leak forced announcement of anything when it doesn't for other manufacturers.

I am bored with speculation here. Why not email or call Charlie and ask? I think he made it pretty clear why the announcement was made when it was. Stern is Stern, Spooky does things differently that Stern - viva la difference. BTW, I like all three, I own Sterns, AMH and WoZ - all for different reasons. I own 70's Gottlieb EMs, 80's Bally, and 90's williams and bally - all for different reasons. Do you expect manufacturers to act same - why would you want them to?

#855 4 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Sorry but no. I'm allergic to dying!
(says Eminem)

#856 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Does that really matter? Stern stuff leaks forever before it becomes reality sometimes. Game of Thrones has been rumored for over a year now. KISS was rumored forever. Hobbit was rumored with JJP before it became reality. What difference does the leak make with when you announce it?

Yes, it really matters. Why else would you ask that question unless it did? Unless I'm missing something, the issue was people thinking the game shouldn't have been revealed until it was further along.

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

people thinking the game shouldn't have been revealed until it was further along.

and when "people" have their own successful pinball company they can make announcements whenever they see fit!

#858 4 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

and when "people" have their own successful pinball company they can make announcements whenever they see fit!

Precisely. I've never seen a forum so overloaded with armchair CEOs.

#859 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Dont ever go to Ls1tech then lol

#860 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

You guys do realize this is a discussion forum and the purpose is to, um, discuss? I don't think anyone said anything here overly outrageous but only questioned what the reasoning was for announcing the title so far in advance of being able to show anything or provide any more details about the game. Seemed like a pretty innocent question to discuss IMO.

#861 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

You guys do realize this is a discussion forum and the purpose is to, um, discuss? I don't think anyone said anything here overly outrageous but only questioned what the reasoning was for announcing the title so far in advance of being able to show anything or provide any more details about the game. Seemed like a pretty innocent question to discuss IMO.

I think part of it is Spooky is in the works of finding and securing a manufacturing warehouse and adding resources to increase production into next year for the new game and everything moving forward. I think it's extremely smart to gauge the interest of their new game in advance to help plan and budget accordingly. I'm hoping the overwhelming interest in RZ will just further increase their investment into pumping out games faster in the future as the community has shown support for them and their games so now they can take some more of the riskier investments to make themselves better and more efficient into the future. I have no problem with an early announcement as long as they ain't asking for money and they aren't yet, so good for them!

#862 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I think part of it is Spooky is in the works of finding and securing a manufacturing warehouse and adding resources to increase production into next year for the new game and everything moving forward. I think it's extremely smart to gauge the interest of their new game in advance to help plan and budget accordingly. I'm hoping the overwhelming interest in RZ will just further increase their investment into pumping out games faster in the future as the community has shown support for them and their games so now they can take some more of the riskier investments to make themselves better and more efficient into the future. I have no problem with an early announcement as long as they ain't asking for money and they aren't yet, so good for them!

Good points. Although, I think Charlie himself noted that when they announced AMH they had tons of interest but when they actually started manufacturing the games they only sold one in the first week? So some times the "interest" can be misleading although in the case of RZ I don't think they'll have any trouble selling 300.

#863 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Good points. Although, I think Charlie himself noted that when they announced AMH they had tons of interest but when they actually started manufacturing the games they only sold one in the first week? So some times the "interest" can be misleading although in the case of RZ I don't think they'll have any trouble selling 300.

I dunno...really depends on layout IMO.

#864 4 years ago

I hope there is a guest appearance by Alice Cooper in the game somewhere.

#865 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I can see why it was slow out of the gate. My feelings on the game completely shifted between Chicago Expo 13 v '14.

I was kinda underwhelmed in Oct 2013 with AMH, shot flow felt "clunky", interesting concept - campy and sarcastic fake TV tie-in, but not all the humor and game story were completed yet. It had potential, but I wasn't feeling it.

In Oct 2014 at Expo, it rocked. The game play was great and had legs keep me coming back. Then Charlie showed me the inside design, the concepts of mostly standard parts, self-3D supply of custom parts, off the shelf power supplies, amps, FF speakers and the sourcing of most all else through Terry@PL, BEn's pinheck board, code and open source concept for .wav files, etc. So I geeked on the inside of the game too. It was a blast to play, and I got the story

Actually seeing 2013 v. 2014 was important for me and was a big part of my decision being a comfortable one to see actually, b/c I saw how far the game had come, and it looked, played and was built solid. More like a WMS/Bally feel, plus it was thousands less that my previous two buys of WoZ and STLE.

I had been in on the hobbit from Nov 2012, and had to get on the list early for STLE with $ in before I even played/saw one.
the AMH was an easy decision.

#866 4 years ago

sounds like a fun machine

#867 4 years ago

On a lighter note, those with AMH's / Pinheck boards who use the USB port... a usb port protector.

https://www.facebook.com/FawzmaGames/posts/966817536709530

#868 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Seemed like a pretty innocent question to discuss IMO.

There's discussion and then there's just pure speculation that's not at all based in reality and serves no purpose. I for one thought the reveal and timing made complete sense based on my extremely limited understanding of their operations, capacity and strategy. No question Stern would have done it differently, but I'm not really captivated by their output right now. JJP either, for that matter. I want a Spooky product and if I can manage two, a Heighway as well.

#869 4 years ago

The bottom line is who gives a shit?

It's been revealed. You can't take it back. Unless you work for Spooky it's really pointless to worry about it. If you don't want to buy it then don't. If you want to wait and see and risk not getting one then do that. If you're on the list and just anxious to see something then be patient, it will be revealed when it's ready.

Honestly that's all there is to it, the game won't be ready until it's ready. And you know what? Once they show it you've still gotta wait, they're not even done building AMH yet. And probably won't be until 2016. Is what it is.

There's still exciting stuff to be revealed, but in due time.

#870 4 years ago

It doesn't matter, the game could play worse than Avengers and there would still be 300 people that would buy the machine regardless.

#871 4 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

I don't.

#872 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

It doesn't matter, the game could play worse than Avengers and there would still be 300 people that would buy the machine regardless.

Funny. I was just thinking if I ever did buy this game (on the wait list so not likely) and it turns out to be another Avengers I could be screwed if I want to sell it but considering the limited run you might have a good point there.

#873 4 years ago

Yeah, this is one case where you really have a good chance of not losing money even if it's not the best game ever.

That's why I signed up - cool theme, highly likely to actually get made, low production means lower risk if I ever decide to resell.

#874 4 years ago

Happy 76th Birthday to Sid Haig today!

10463066_10203984862769178_1694404348289537262_n.jpg

#875 4 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I'm not sure whose Avengers you played but it's definitely one of my favorite games I've ever owned.

1 week later
#876 4 years ago

Another post from RZ's FB page...

"Wednesday July 22nd is officially THE DEVIL'S REJECTS DAY! Why? Because it is the 10th anniversary of the release of the film. Thanks to all of you for making it one to remember."

11728750_10153192924648323_1590444036974022915_o.jpg

#877 4 years ago

Rob Zombie bump. Would love even a teaser bit of info

#878 4 years ago

Nothing until October I'm afraid

#879 4 years ago

Based on what I saw when I picked up my AMH I don't think RZ is ready for public consumption yet. We all know what happens when things hit the internet before they are ready. It's going to be similar layout to PZFBTG but lots of cool stuff being worked on to improve it.

#880 4 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Based on what I saw when I picked up my AMH I don't think RZ is ready for public consumption yet. We all know what happens when things hit the internet before they are ready. It's going to be similar layout to PZFBTG but lots of cool stuff being worked on to improve it.

Please for the love of everything evil!! Chuck does not have any of the code. Between now and the 1st I'll be heading there to load up the machine you saw, with the first copy of the game. Even then, I'm using quick mockup graphics and place holder sounds for everything. BUT the game and all the modes are playable and then some. There's stuff in the game Chuck doesn't know about yet (rather busy coding than documenting

Keep up to date at http://www.facebook.com/FawzmaGames/

#881 4 years ago

Spooky Fans : We are running our 2nd AMH Charity Raffle - win a sold out AMH for $ 100 ! Details at the link below :
Joe / PinballSTAR Amusements

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballstar-americas-most-haunted-charity-raffle-2-now-open

#882 4 years ago

This teaser was posted on Spooky's Facebook page. Its the killer robot from the old movie chapter serial The Phantom Creeps which...ah you guys already know this

11143283_936440329750528_2823650370642017447_o.jpg

#883 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

This teaser was posted on Spooky's Facebook page. Its the killer robot from the old movie chapter serial The Phantom Creeps which...ah you guys already know this

I didn't know that (thanks for noting it.) That's a pretty cool/creepy pic right there! Nice.

#884 4 years ago

2 days ago Spooky got some of the first code. I go back Saturday with even more goodies, and not just Minion toys!!

#885 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

2 days ago Spooky got some of the first code. I go back Saturday with even more goodies, and not just Minion toys!!

Just curious but before you were given the honor of programming this game, what was your experience playing pinball? Were you familiar with typical "mode" rules and scoring strategies? How fast did you have to come up to speed? Or did Spooky pretty much hand you the rules they wanted to see and anything extra you thought of you could add?

#886 4 years ago

Just curious but before you were given the honor of programming this game, what was your experience playing pinball?
- I just knew you had to keep the balls above the flippers

Were you familiar with typical "mode" rules and scoring strategies?
- I was no expert that's for sure. While I waited for the machine to be ready, I did my research.

How fast did you have to come up to speed?
- Hours to a day maybe , I was handed the AMH code that night and was back the next day or day after doing tests.

Or did Spooky pretty much hand you the rules they wanted to see and anything extra you thought of you could add?
- I have main rules, then I'm injecting what I think the game should due based on the layout.

#887 4 years ago

Charlie is having a "ask me anything" session on facebook, going to answer questions on tomorrow's podcast

#888 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

Just curious but before you were given the honor of programming this game, what was your experience playing pinball?
- I just knew you had to keep the balls above the flippers
Were you familiar with typical "mode" rules and scoring strategies?
- I was no expert that's for sure. While I waited for the machine to be ready, I did my research.
How fast did you have to come up to speed?
- Hours to a day maybe , I was handed the AMH code that night and was back the next day or day after doing tests.
Or did Spooky pretty much hand you the rules they wanted to see and anything extra you thought of you could add?
- I have main rules, then I'm injecting what I think the game should due based on the layout.

I'm so torn by this. I trust Ben and Charlie to mediate it all, BUT:
A "newbie" doing the programe may introduce some factors that could annoy us all
BUT and "newbie" doing this may revolutionize the way we play/think about the way it should be played.

So nervous..................................

#889 4 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

I'm so torn by this. I trust Ben and Charlie to mediate it all, BUT:
A "newbie" doing the programe may introduce some factors that could annoy us all
BUT and "newbie" doing this may revolutionize the way we play/think about the way it should be played.
So nervous..................................

Don't be nervous, I am thinking this could lead to something great. No offense to the great programmers out there, but there is so much that can be done that is not. I am hoping new blood will bring new ideas, hopefully someone will take some risk on and try something new..

#890 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Don't be nervous, I am thinking this could lead to something great

I agree! Keep in mind that Ben Heck did not not much about pinball rules prior to his game and AMH has very solid rules. The thing that was of great importance is that Ben was also VERY willing to talk with pinheads that have great ideas and incorporate them into AMH (and continue to incorporate them).

A good programmer makes a fun playing game without bugs.

A great programmer solicits lots of feedback from great pinheads, filters it to maintain their own style/feel, and incorporates the good stuff into gameplay with appropriate risk/reward based scoring, and even/balance scoring so the game does not become one dimensional when hunting for points, and CONTINUALLY makes updates to improve after the game has been released. Real data and real feedback from those that play the game is very important.

Time will tell what category Fawzma falls in to. I am hoping he brings in some fun and fresh ideas for the foundation. I hope he then is open to suggestions from different types of players on how to polish/improve it over time.

#891 4 years ago

I'll fall into the all of the above category, I'll do all the great things you say, plus make it fun and bug free

This is a team effort. I am not programming something and saying "this is how it is, ship it like this."

#892 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

I'll fall into the all of the above category, I'll do all the great things you say, plus make it fun and bug free
This is a team effort. I am not programming something and saying "this is how it is, ship it like this."

Awsome. Always good to have new talent in the hobby.

#893 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Who thinks this is strictly artwork and who thinks this may actually be a sculpted toy in the game? I can certainly see Rob wanting some of the classic and creepier movie characters in the game (versus say, a sculpture of his own head). The robot from the movie Metropolis (1927) is another classic but I wonder if they'll also include more classic horror characters (such as 1935 Bride of Frankenstein?) or if they'll stick to more fringe horror movie classics (like The Phantom Creeps image shown)?

#894 4 years ago

I interviewed David over the phone, we met several times in the spring, then in May I handed off to him the New Pinheck System Framework. So while he'd doing the rules and troubleshooting, the underlying framework is "all Heck" and derived from AMH (just cleaned up massively) It's all libraries now, which gets us one step closer to making pinHeck available as a 3rd party platform.

Whysnow's right the only complete game I made before AMH was Bill Paxton and its rules were SUPER simple. But I learned a lot, learned a ton more on AMH and feel if I ever did another game the rules would be even better. Plus David - like myself on AMH - has something to prove and that nets you the best work.

Going down to Benton this weekend for a status update and to give David all the new tools I've added for audio-video, such as layer transparency, audio looping, precise video controls and more!

#895 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

which gets us one step closer to making pinHeck available as a 3rd party platform

YES, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#896 4 years ago

I'm a programmer myself, and a pinhead too, but I'm not sure I understand where people come from with the bad coding and good coding.
Can you give me an example of bad coding out there? Do you mean buggy?
If you mean that the rules are crap, then that's bad specs from whoever specified what rules they wanted, not bad coding.
For instance, do we say that Lyman is a good coder because he comes up with good rules?
In that case it happens that the programmer is also the one doing the specs, but that doesn't mean he's a good or bad coder.
I don't want to play on words, just to try and understand what everybody's talking about with that...

#897 4 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I'm a programmer myself, and a pinhead too, but I'm not sure I understand where people come from with the bad coding and good coding.
If you mean that the rules are crap, then that's bad specs from whoever specified what rules they wanted, not bad coding.
For instance, do we say that Lyman is a good coder because he comes up with good rules?
In that case it happens that the programmer is also the one doing the specs, but that doesn't mean he's a good or bad coder.
I don't want to play on words, just to try and understand what everybody's talking about with that...

creative vision is a huge part of being a good pinball programmer and being able to think multi-dimensionally. you need to incorporate light shows, dmd animations, mechanical action as well as making sure all of this has a seemless effect on the player and draws them into the game with engaging rules.

in the stern "hurry up and create" pinball model (where pins are programmed after they are created) this can fall flat as things are rushed through prototyping and you end up with rules and modes not defined with lights on the playfield which can confuse players.

-c

#898 4 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Because people like to be negative about things before they have seen or experienced something for themselves. Its just sad.

There is a good group of people working with and for Spooky so I have high hopes for what they can create.

Much credit to the op for putting himself out there to have and continue the conversations about his new venture.

Much success and don't let those that like to be negative get under your skin. There are a lot of positive people here.

chris

#899 4 years ago
Quoted from FawzmaGames:

you bleeping rock! playing a handful more games Of AMH at replayfx has me excited as ever for spooky. we have every reason to be super confident in everyone involved and continue to patiently await.

#900 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Because people like to be negative about things before they have seen or experienced something for themselves. Its just sad.
There is a good group of people working with and for Spooky so I have high hopes for what they can create.
Much credit to the op for putting himself out there to have and continue the conversations about his new venture.
Much success and don't let those that like to be negative get under your skin. There are a lot of positive people here.
chris

This exactly. Charlie and Ben both care enough about these games to make sure it is done right. Drama queens and naysayers are easy to find in this hobby.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Plymouth, MN
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 10479 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 210.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside