Topic Stats

• 10,507 posts
  • 602 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by drypaint
  • Topic is favorited by 103 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,193 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

50EAF020-4CD8-4119-9427-F544C9EF38B0 (resized).jpeg
5DEFF28A-B529-4D16-A30F-1A4C5F68DDB9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3858 (resized).jpg
IMG_3857 (resized).jpg
IMG_3856 (resized).jpg
20191005_213740 (resized).jpg
20191005_213729 (resized).jpg
20191005_221951 (resized).jpg
20191005_221631 (resized).jpg
20191005_221713 (resized).jpg
20191005_221535 (resized).jpg
20191004_231821 (resized).jpg
20191004_230221 (resized).jpg
20191004_225937 (resized).jpg
20191004_225047 (resized).jpg
20190926_165833 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10507 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 211.
#601 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We made a title announcement before it completely leaked anyway. We took a no obligation, no money down, interested parties sales list. Don't like it once you see it? It cost you an email and nothing else. If that upsets you, we're really sorry, we did our best. At least we aren't on page 400 discussing how to get your email back via attorney.
I personally wouldn't buy any game sight unseen, unless it was a dream title that I was completely enthralled with. I can think of maybe 3 things total... Rob Zombie is one of those for me.

Thx charlie and well said I'm rob fan and was white zombie fan too so this is going to be awesome. I got see rob live years ago he puts on a awesome show.

#602 4 years ago

Charlie, just curious: Who is being credited as "designer" of the RZ pin?

It sounds like you did most of the design for the original PZFBTG, but it sounds like Ben had a hand in revising the layout for RZ (listening to Ben at SFGE).

Was it mostly just you & Ben?

#603 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Why the low tolerance for questions?
Tough crowd...
-mof

Because of who asked. Nothing but whining.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-spook-show-international?tu=zentron

#604 4 years ago

The Rob Zombie theme is awesome but im not going to waste my time or a spooky employees in saying im interested unless i know more about the pin. An example of what would be included in "more" is a shot map similiar to the one Heighway posted for Aliens listed below. I wanted to share this feedback as a reason why me and others havent sent an interest email.

image.jpg

#605 4 years ago

I offered my opinion and feedback on how the LE distribution was handled. If you dont like it, ignore me or thumbs down all my posts. Creating additional posts whining about my whining is just clutter in this thread like this post of mine.

#606 4 years ago

We made a title announcement before it completely leaked anyway. We took a no obligation, no money down, interested parties sales list. Don't like it once you see it? It cost you an email and nothing else. If that upsets you, we're really sorry, we did our best. At least we aren't on page 400 discussing how to get your email back via attorney.
I personally wouldn't buy any game sight unseen, unless it was a dream title that I was completely enthralled with. I can think of maybe 3 things total... Rob Zombie is one of those for me.

Problem is - since you can only make 300 most (if not all people) will HAVE to buy without even playing it so hence the "comparing toys you haven't played yet" and trying to find info about shot maps.

Knowing the shot layout is still inferior to actually playing something but maybe now you understand why people would like to see one before sending in 6K. Makes sense to me.

Sounds good though... glad you're not asking for $$$ right out of the gate.

#607 4 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Charlie, just curious: Who is being credited as "designer" of the RZ pin?

I did the bulk of design, Ben of course has his fingerprints in the game, and Dennis Nordman helped us with the upper playfield. Basically Dennis makes sure we don't screw it up royally.

Ben was the one who convinced me to add some more flow (with an assist to Aurich, who did have valid points). I can be stubborn, but Ben knows how to get through to me and get me to admit when I'm wrong. I like games that take chances and are different. I also understand you can't be TOO different, or the masses will shun the game play.

If 300 people like this game, then perfect! That's what we needed to make this successful.

#608 4 years ago

Jesus, there are some entitled fuckers here. Tell your AuPaire to have your cabin boy email Spooky while you are out on your pheasant hunt.

#609 4 years ago

captain-spauldings-murder-ride-47.gifMurder ride car ball lock mech When the balls get release DR SAAAATAN! Chuck for REAL mystery scoop needs to be called the great dead wood mystery!images (2).jpg

#610 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Problem is - since you can only make 300 most (if not all people) will HAVE to buy without even playing it

Valid point... but I hope those that are buying are fans of Rob, Spooky, the art, different layouts... whatever the case may be. You will be able to see it (at least) before you make a deposit. I wish everyone could play it first, but really no way to logistically make that happen. It's no different with a Stern LE or what some of the other pinball companies have done (or tried to do). Usually the Stern LE's sell out long before anyone could actually play the game. People buy them because they like the theme, want something different, want all the toys, or whatever the case may be.

Someday we'll just make and sell games. Seems simple, but soooo hard to accomplish.

#611 4 years ago

656316090eda4689856e1073cdb9377f.jpg

#612 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Nothing but a theme is annouced and you want me to email and say im interested in spending $6000 for a game?

Pretty sure they don't want you to do anything. If it's causing you this much distress it's probably not the title for you.

#613 4 years ago

I did the bulk of design, Ben of course has his fingerprints in the game, and Dennis Nordman helped us with the upper playfield. Basically Dennis makes sure we don't screw it up royally.
Ben was the one who convinced me to add some more flow (with an assist to Aurich, who did have valid points). I can be stubborn, but Ben knows how to get through to me and get me to admit when I'm wrong. I like games that take chances and are different. I also understand you can't be TOO different, or the masses will shun the game play.
If 300 people like this game, then perfect! That's what we needed to make this successful.

You're doing great man, don't sweat it. You're sure a stubborn SOB, but what the hell is the point of running your own pinball company if you can't stick to your guns!?

I don't always agree with you, or Ben for that matter (though Ben and I tend to see eye to eye pretty well) but I respect the hell out of Spooky. You look at all the failed businesses, broken promises, and just outright bullshit, and then you look at the scrappy people who just did whatever it took and got things done. No one can take that away from you.

Even with all that this thread is living proof that you can't make everyone happy. So it goes. Making everyone happy means compromising and watering down until no one can find fault, and even these some pissant will be contrary just because it's their nature.

Make 300 games. Someone doesn't like it? Too f***ing bad. Don't want to email for a spot with no obligation? Deal with it. Don't like how the game plays? Don't buy it.

Charlie, I told you when we parted ways on this game (and thank goodness, you got a killer artist for this, I can't hold a candle to what he's doing for you) that I was still happy to help you out. Nothing has changed. You're doing great work here, and I know the whining isn't gonna affect you, but I'm still gonna say it, ignore the whining. Do your thing!

I'm in on this game. If I drop out because it's not right for me, I'm still confident it's going to sell out no problem.

#614 4 years ago

Charlie,
Does the game still have the "banking" skill shot?

#615 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Make 300 games. Someone doesn't like it? Too f***ing bad. Don't want to email for a spot with no obligation? Deal with it. Don't like how the game plays? Don't buy it.

I been saying the same thing as above

It can't get any more easy to get on a list with no risk

#616 4 years ago

Said it before, I'll say it again... It has more flow than the previous layout. More toys, more coils than AMH, more everything than what it had before.

I played AMH at SFGE yesterday (thx to the Streets for bringing) and I was thoroughly impressed. It's real, its fun, it looks great even though the theme isnt for me, and it played very smoothly.

Charlie thanks so much for:
1) being real and showing boo-tique is possible
2) building a game and company from scratch
3) raising the bar with title #2
4) listening to "flow" "toy" feedback and making Charlie game #2 instead of fan layout #999
5) expanding on your zombie horror concept with literally the best possible license on Earth for it

I love your other post that says the reality of the situation, with limited mfg capacity this is the way business must be done. If you love the theme and choose to support something new and different, go for it, email and go from there. That's definitely me, I'm on the list and well everyone else you can just figure there are 299 available because I'll never let go of mine!

The licensed music choices, Rob callouts, the toys, the uniqueness, back alley involvement, I could go on and on, I'm so pumped.

Thanks to Aurich also for helping guide this discussion constructively.

#617 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Charlie,
Does the game still have the "banking" skill shot

Yep. Single, double, or triple if you're good.

And thanks Aurich! Ben and I never agree on everything either. We just know how to fight for what we believe in, and compromise when it matters.

#618 4 years ago

Yep. Single, double, or triple if you're good.
And thanks Aurich! Ben and I never agree on everything either. We just know how to fight for what we believe in, and compromise when it matters.

Cool. I thought that was a neat feature and very unique in design and extremely hard to get the third.

#619 4 years ago

Man, you guys have the respect of the community and you are doing great. Keep at what you are comfortable with and you will continue to do great things. Selling your soul doesn't seem to be what you are after and I really respect that. Keep kicking ass.

Someday we'll just make and sell games. Seems simple, but soooo hard to accomplish.

Now this quote sounds really familiar... Lol.. Just kidding

#620 4 years ago

Wonder if the new layout has just the one ramp or two ramps; love the randomness of the bumper locations

#621 4 years ago

Dennis Nordman helped us with the upper playfield. Basically Dennis makes sure we don't screw it up royall

so it has an upper playfield you say? what else does it have?

#622 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

so it has an upper playfield you say? what else does it have?

3 flippers.

#623 4 years ago

Said it before, I'll say it again... It has more flow than the previous layout. More toys, more coils than AMH, more everything than what it had before. It's still wild and punishing as I intended. There are tons of pure fan flow whatever you wanna call it layout games out there, and I have no desire to make pure fan layout game #127. Others can and will do them better than I, so why try to be an immitator?
If it fails then I'm wrong and at least we took a chance on something different. If I believed that was the case I'd never even try.
We're making toys here... Really, I'm still surprised by that fact. I was writing script for a killer clown at midnight last night as part of my "job".
Debating if a toy you've never played is more or less fun than another toy seems kinda weird to me. And I know weird... Been weird my whole life!
Happy fathers day!

Flow but wild and punishing, sounds like a dream layout for me. I tend to get bored with games that are just too much flow and end up being too easy as a result, but then I also tend to get frustrated with games that are just house-ball mania and punish you for making shots.

#624 4 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I played AMH at SFGE yesterday (thx to the Streets for bringing) and I was thoroughly impressed. It's real, its fun, it looks great even though the theme isnt for me, and it played very smoothly.

It was great to be able to share my game with everyone at SFGE. I wanted everyone to see how great this game and company is. It was truly awesome to meet Ben Heck and actually got him to sign the bottom of my playfield. It was also great to meet so many fellow pinsiders at the meet and greet.

#625 4 years ago

$_1.JPG

#626 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

shot map similiar to the one Heighway posted for Aliens listed below

It sure is a good thing they took the time and consumed resources to properly label the left and right flippers for me. I can see how that could be confusing.

#627 4 years ago

I don't blame 'em. They're just trying to get that 'casual' money

#628 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

It sure is a good thing they took the time and consumed resources to properly label the left and right flippers for me. I can see how that could be confusing.

I know you're being snarky, but there is actually a good reason for those labels existing.

It's a 4 flipper game, so you need to make sure you're being clear when you're talking with someone which flipper you mean. The main ones are called left and right, and then the top ones are 3 and 4. You only have to remember two numbers, and can just use normal terms for ones you'll be talking about the most.

It's diagramed that way so anyone can follow along if someone is talking about it. No confusion when someone says "then hit the ramp with the left flipper and then tap off flipper 3 when it loops around" (totally made that up).

Anyways, why it's labeled that way, carry on!

#629 4 years ago

L, R, 3, and 4 is a very odd way to name flippers.

LL, LR, UL, and UR makes more sense and is more descriptive with fewer characters. You guys need to work on your efficiency over at Alien pinball headquarters

#630 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

L, R, 3, and 4 is a very odd way to name flippers.
LL, LR, UL, and UR makes more sense and is more descriptive with fewer characters. You guys need to work on your efficiency over at Alien pinball headquarters

How are you going to name WOOLY's 6 flippers then?
LL, ML and UL + LR, MR and UR?

#631 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Pretty sure they don't want you to do anything. If it's causing you this much distress it's probably not the title for you.

I had a question/respectful feedback about the 50 LE decision and asked if a shot map was going to be revealed prior to all the spots for the game being filled. I expected a little more respect and courtesy from a fellow North Carolinian.

A lot of the feedback I received from others besides Charlie has been pretty insulting. Instead of trying to out wise-ass each other for thumbs-up that means nothing you should try to be advocates for Spooky. Offer helpful respectful feedback and make new customers for them. Instead of trying to bring me into the Spooky customer pool ya'll are pushing me and im sure others away. It seems like its just easy for some of you to tell me to screw off and don't be a customer because you are simply lazy and angry.

#632 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Offer helpful respectful feedback and make new customers for them.

As thoughtful and respectful as I can be to you...

Please do not become a Spooky customer. In all reality you have expectations that are never going to be met and you will obviously never be happy. You have brought about so much BS already when all they have offered is to hold a spot for you for FREE if you send an email. It really is simple >> do you like spooky, RZ, the idea enough to send an email and say you are interested and would like the option to purchase AFTER they reveal the game? If so, then send an email. If those are not enough, then this game is not for you and move along.

If you have this much angst and drama when it costs you absolutely nothing then spooky is much better off not dealing with your shit when there is actually something worth being concerned about. It appears they are doing just fine without you and my honest feedback is that some customers are worth saying no to.

#633 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I had a question/respectful feedback about the 50 LE decision and asked if a shot map was going to be revealed prior to all the spots for the game being filled. I expected a little more respect and courtesy from a fellow North Carolinian.
A lot of the feedback I received from others besides Charlie has been pretty insulting. Instead of trying to out wise-ass each other for thumbs-up that means nothing you should try to be advocates for Spooky. Offer helpful respectful feedback and make new customers for them. Instead of trying to bring me into the Spooky customer pool ya'll are pushing me and im sure others away. It seems like its just easy for some of you to tell me to screw off and don't be a customer because you are simply lazy and angry.

Perhaps you should reread my post and drop your preconceived notion of antagonism. I wasnt disrespectful in any way. Spooky doesn't need you to do anything if you're not interested in the game. And they have no expectation from anyone...they announced a game theme and alot of people decided that was enough to communicate preliminary interest. That's all that has happened. You keep stressing over reveals and money and we aren't even to that point yet. So alot of people don't understand your anger hence the downvotes. Then you persist when many have explained and so people tire of your obstinace and begin making wise ass comments. I'm sorry you felt I was one of them but my post was sincere and succint. It was not meant to disparage you but simply recommunicate to a fellow nc pinsider that there really is nothing to stress over at this point.

#634 4 years ago

Can't we all just get along no need for drama so either email them if interested or zip it

#635 4 years ago

so send that "interested no obligation" e-mail and join us on an exciting journey. Better to send and opt out then not send and feel you missed out.

#636 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Are you doing a bit?

#637 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I know you're being snarky

I'm so busted. I see your point Aurich, but I still think it's obvious which is the lower left and lower right flippers, as well as what a mid level or upper level flipper is and where they should be located. I just found it kind of funny. Anyone who actually doesn't know what the lower left or lower right flipper is will need a hell of a lot more details than that drawing has on it.

Does anyone have any idea what tracks Mr. Zombie and the Spooky crew are considering? Or can we see just a tiny small fraction of artwork? I'm overly anxious, this theme has been long overdue and it's very fitting that Spooky has been tasked with producing it... A small glimpse of this or that is what I'm really thirsting for in here.

#638 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I'd love to see a shot map also. Sounds like they are planning to wait for a full game reveal though. I'd agree that they need to get one out ASAP but since we are really only placeholders on a list until the game is fully revealed I am not to worried about it. If it doesn't look awesome I'll just remove myself from the list. Join the list, what do you have to lose

#639 4 years ago

I'd be happy to see a pic of a single target or the entry to a single ramp or even just 1/16th of the back glass artwork or the initials of one song being considered. I don't need any of this to believe in the project or know that it will be completed. I'm just anxious to see this thing unfold.

#640 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

or the initials of one song being considered

The song list is included in the promo video.

#642 4 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

so send that "interested no obligation" e-mail and join us on an exciting journey. Better to send and opt out then not send and feel you missed out.

You guys keep making it sound like a no obligation pre-order, but it's simply not the case. Once artwork is revealed, buyers are obligated to put money down without being able to try it first for fear of losing a spot. Candy coat it all you want, but it is still a high pressure sales situation for customers... like finding a below market value pin on CL that everyone loves to hunt and compete for, but it remains an awkward NIB purchase scenario.

#643 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

You guys keep making it sound like a no obligation pre-order, but it's simply not the case. Once artwork is revealed, buyers are obligated to put money down without being able to try it first for fear of losing a spot. Candy coat it all you want, but it is still a high pressure sales situation for customers... like finding a below market value pin on CL that everyone loves to hunt and compete for, but it remains an awkward NIB purchase scenario.

How would you prefer to do it for a limited release? I thought about it a little and it's hard to do fairly unless it's an unlimited run.

Personally I don't consider it high pressure at all with respect to Spooky. The only pressure is just dealing with yourself on whether you want something bad enough to skip knowing all the information ahead of time.

#644 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Once artwork is revealed, buyers are obligated to put money down without being able to try it first for fear of losing a spot

How is that any different than Stern, or any other pinball company? How is that any different than when they built AMH and brought it to MGC to show off and got one sale? Now just because it's licensed suddenly there's reason to complain because they can't drag a prototype to every part of the country?

#645 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

You guys keep making it sound like a no obligation pre-order, but it's simply not the case. Once artwork is revealed, buyers are obligated to put money down without being able to try it first for fear of losing a spot.

Not the artwork, the game. And yes, you might not get a chance to play it first. Just like everyone who bought a Kiss based on just the photos.

#646 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Once artwork is revealed, buyers are obligated to put money down without being able to try it first for fear of losing a spot.

Please reread Charlie's post.

They will be OFFERED (not sold) as received. This will ONLY happen after we've shown a completed package. Then it's $1,000 down to reserve your spot, and NOTHING until your game is done. You will at least see it before you buy it. I'm not "pre-order" money taking, or expecting anything sight unseen.

Baiter please see the words been used "Completed package" That usually means art, cabinet and playfield.

#647 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

You guys keep making it sound like a no obligation pre-order, but it's simply not the case. Once artwork is revealed, buyers are obligated to put money down without being able to try it first for fear of losing a spot.

So what?
Remember AMH was limited to 150 from the beginning... still, they had a hard time selling a handful initially.
How different is the situation now? Is Spooky guilty of some misconduct?
Short answer is no. The only thing that changed is Perspective.

Now people know they can manufacture pins for real, they chose a good theme and now have a loyal customer base.
Spooky probably underestimated how important these factors were to most customers.

We will see most "expressions of interest" will translate into hard cash deposit. Given how versatile pinsiders can be, it may be worth staying on a waiting list. Wait until Stern announces Steven Richie's GoT with LCD display.

(disclaimer: I am on Spooky's list - GoT is my dream theme but I know I will be able to find one on location or be allowed to buy it used)

#648 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Also, my example was just a random movie off the top of my head, but you have to admit, this would make a great Spooky game!

Very cool and made by one of my best friends...Fred Olen Ray. That's Michelle on the cover... I used her in my Vampire Vixens film...just saw her a few months ago.

Rights to characters are all very different. In my contracts, I can use the actors in ANYTHING connected to the film. So, if I wanted to make a pinball machine, I could use the photos and or art of them with no problem. Same with the music.

#649 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

How is that any different than Stern, or any other pinball company? How is that any different than when they built AMH and brought it to MGC to show off and got one sale? Now just because it's licensed suddenly there's reason to complain because they can't drag a prototype to every part of the country?

Sounds like a rhetorical question...I have or can play all of the latest releases from Stern/PPS/JJP and then purchase each NIB directly from the manufacturer. Sales were initially slow for AMH for good reason (the unknown), and while Spooky does a great job of bringing a game to a show it's not necessarily timely enough to get one... For example, a $1k bounty is being offered for an AMH spot because someone finally got to try it at a show, a little too late.

Quoted from btw75:

How would you prefer to do it for a limited release?

I'm simply not a fan of any limited release sales model. I'd rather see games played and owned by as many individuals and operators as possible around the world. That's largely where I'm coming from, not as much specific criticism for Spooky's sales approach, they are doing the best they can given their own constraints.

#650 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Very cool and made by one of my best friends...Fred Olen Ray. That's Michelle on the cover... I used her in my Vampire Vixens film...just saw her a few months ago.

That's awesome Ted. For whatever reason the tagline for that one (they charge an arm and a leg) stuck in my head every since I saw it in Fangoria as a wayward youth.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tampa, FL
$ 107.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 10507 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 211.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside