(Topic ID: 146479)

Rob Zombie's pinball best art on a pinball ?

By 2Kaulitz

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Rob Zombie's Spook Show International Pinball Have Best Art Work Ever ?”

• YES 58 votes
      27%
    • NO 158 votes
      73%

(216 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b30.jpg
    playfield1.jpg
    rz_pf.jpg
    RobZombieFlyer.jpg
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago

My biggest issue with the PF art is that the inserts aren't integrated into the art at all, and look tacked on instead. It looks like the art and inserts were not designed with either in mind so they are very disparate elements.

#52 8 years ago

So, cabinet art is amazing. LE backglass awesome.

Might as well say it how it is though. The playfield art is a real disappointment.

Actually the top half of the p/f is good, it is the middle bit with the inserts - the colors etc look out of place.

I love what Spooky are doing though.

As nothing has been built and sent out, this is an area that tweaks could be made, maybe??

#53 8 years ago

Cabinet looks great. Playfield looks terrible. Wish it was other way around.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Cabinet looks great. Playfield looks terrible. Wish it was other way around.

For me it is. I really like the playfield (gave some of my reason in the main thread), and while the cab art looks awesome, it doesn't fit the rest of the game (much of it being done before the game existed). Both translites are amongst the very best though, if not the best (can't count real backglass). Have to say no for the poll.

#55 8 years ago

Rob at the flippers is cool and the tombstone is a great idea that fits the theme. My opinion is that it needs a little more.

This thread is the first time I saw the playfield art, and my immediate thought was "he's an incredible artist that isn't really interested in pinball". He needs some guidance. To me, its mixing the sparse style of the EM era but the drawing is too detailed to look like early 70's art. Super clean, sparse linework would actually fit in with the throwback style of Robs movies, but its obvious from the cab/translite that isn't what they were going for.

The Kiss art was polarizing, and I was one of the ones that thought they knocked that late 70's vibe out of the park. Maybe its good to be challenged!

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

Rob at the flippers is cool and the tombstone is a great idea that fits the theme. My opinion is that it needs a little more.
    This thread is the first time I saw the playfield art, and my immediate thought was "he's an incredible artist that isn't really interested in pinball". He needs some guidance. To me, its mixing the sparse style of the EM era but the drawing is too detailed to look like early 70's art. Super clean, sparse linework would actually fit in with the throwback style of Robs movies, but its obvious from the cab/translite that isn't what they were going for.
    The Kiss art was polarizing, and I was one of the ones that thought they knocked that late 70's vibe out of the park. Maybe its good to be challenged!

I would tend to agree - probably just needs a little more guidance on doing specific pinball art integration.

I love the idea of a gravestone - but I would have made the center of the playfield an entire cemetery. Then each mode insert becomes an individual gravestone within the cemetery.

I do like the witch - just would of loved to see more characters interacting with the cemetery - werewolf, zombie, etc

#57 8 years ago

It is a shame the inserts are not more cohesive. They just look random, blocky shapes dropped in middle of pf.

Everything else is just so good, it is really frustrating that this area was not done to same spec.

#58 8 years ago

My Poll Post was mentioned on Coast 2 Coast Pinball Podcast One of my Favorite podcast check them out

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

I would tend to agree - probably just needs a little more guidance on doing specific pinball art integration.
    I love the idea of a gravestone - but I would have made the center of the playfield an entire cemetery. Then each mode insert becomes an individual gravestone within the cemetery.
    I do like the witch - just would of loved to see more characters interacting with the cemetery - werewolf, zombie, etc

This advice needs to be addressed to make the playfield as good as the cab.

#60 8 years ago

Inserts are a good point

It almost seems like the artist made a super awesome RZ poster or album cover instead of a pinball playfield & then slapped some inserts on it. I've now learned that cool poster & album art does not result in good pinball art.

Also the art itself seems washed out & not translating well to printing.

I'm no artist & I don't know the proper terms but I think contrast & definition are lacking in this package.

Again I am root'n for Spooky 100% but I gotta keep it real

Look @ TWD, KISS, MET & then look @ RZ.

#61 8 years ago

Love what spooky is doing but they desperately need a creative director that can put together all the elements.
    Someone with a very critical eye and understanding of design. Its the little things that make or break a design and theres a bunch of small things that are totally off on this.

Currently the inserts dont match the aesthetic Alex created. The plastics are very uninspiring. Alex's art being so good makes the areas that dont work stick out even more so.

It almost feels like old 1990s geocities web sites where you would have clunky beveled buttons with an awesome background wallpaper.

#62 8 years ago

I don't know. I'm confused at the lack of cohesiveness with RZ. Some of the art is out of this world. Some of it is barren and uninspired. It's a shame they didn't find a way to connect it all together. Spooky is brand new and still finding their way. Some are making such bold claims though about RZ and I expected that. Reality will set in in about a week. The pin looks sweet, but it's far from perfect.

#63 8 years ago

It's tough cause there are a lot of parallels here to how AMH looked somewhat unprofessional. They seemed to acknowledge it but looking at this, it's like they really didnt take those criticisms seriously.. Or thought getting a really good artist to do the playfield backdrop was going to fix all that.

As we've seen with Aurich and other professionals tearing apart TH in detail and other stuff, theres a lot more to it than that.

I'm hoping to own a Spooky product if they do a theme I like, but probably would still wait till they are doing the fit and finish as polished as it should be.

Aside: In a a perfect imaginary boutique pinball world.. DP and Spooky would be one.. DP with the 'Williams' fit and finish and Spooky with knowing how to stay communicative and be a company you have alot of confidence in.

Aside 2: This is also kind of like Multimorphic's problem. I think they are too 'engineer' oriented over there and have let the art lag.. And are wondering why people aren't excited. Sex sells.

#64 8 years ago

Sell out 300 units as is and start production in January?

Or...

Rework a bunch of things based on suggestions, delay production, wait for approval from Rob Zombie again, display updates to public, and then hear the next round of suggestions, and repeat? And then sell out same 300 units.

#65 8 years ago

To me, this is a pin with a cool theme executed at an indie level. I mean no offense to Spooky when I say this level of production doesn't appear to hold up to that of many other manufacturers, past or present.

Regarding the playfield: It feels like various cool bits of Rob Zombie art have been put together without any real cohesion in regards to the style nor the playfield itself. It doesn't feel like it has any real depth to me, artistically speaking.

Regarding the cabinet: This is definitely some rad art, but again, where is the tie in to the rest of the game? To me, the style doesn't match the playfield and just adds to the lack of cohesion.

Regarding the backglass: I feel this more closely matches the cabinet however, from the pictures I've seen, I would have liked the color palette to match the cabinet a little better.

Overall, I feel like if you took each element by itself it's pretty awesome however when you put them all together it creates a hot mess.

Of course that's not to say that this game wouldn't play much better than others, although a big part of pinball for me is to be captivated by the integration of the theme and the art package, both of which I feel this game is lacking.

Granted, I've not seen this game in person so it may very well blow my mind when I do, but for now it definitely doesn't make me want to open my check book!

All of that being said, it's always easy to be a critic and difficult to be a contender so for those who love this game, I urge you to buy one and support Spooky!

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

Sell out 300 units as is and start production in January?
    Or...
    Rework a bunch of things based on suggestions, delay production, wait for approval from Rob Zombie again, display updates to public, and then hear the next round of suggestions, and repeat? And then sell out same 300 units.

Right, the ship has sailed on this one. But as they grow and want to sell a lot more games where the number exceeds people that are die hard fans of whatever the theme is and those the buy it cause its rare or out of boutique charity 'for the love of pinball'.. They will have to get serious about it.

#67 8 years ago

Did I miss something like the reveal of the rob zombie game,is there better pictures on the game?

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from rockrand:

Did I miss something like the reveal of the rob zombie game,is there better pictures on the game?

http://www.spookypinball.com/games-swag/

#69 8 years ago

link to release video here

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

Aside: In a a perfect imaginary boutique pinball world.. DP and Spooky would be one.. DP with the 'Williams' fit and finish and Spooky with knowing how to stay communicative and be a company you have alot of confidence in.
    Aside 2: This is also kind of like Multimorphic's problem. I think they are too 'engineer' oriented over there and have let the art lag.. And are wondering why people aren't excited. Sex sells.

Well said.

#71 8 years ago

Sadly a lot of the best art on this game is going to be hidden once it's in a lineup.

#72 8 years ago

Here is a still from the video that gives a better view of the playfield and plastics. This angle is much more flattering than the flyer and reveals the graveyard and haunted house along the sides.

I wouldn't consider the center of the playfield bare. I like the giant stylized inserts and overall mood. Pretty good effort in my opinion.

rz pf.jpgrz pf.jpg

#73 8 years ago

I am glad I have my amh but I am sure this will be fun

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

I wouldn't consider the center of the playfield bare. I like the giant stylized inserts and overall mood. Pretty good effort in my opinion.

It is a good effort.
    To me all they needed to do was to put something to the left of the witch to fill in all the green area. Even just more clouds would have helped there. Maybe some spiders crawling on the tombstone.
    To me it is good but needs to be fleshed out a bit more.
    But wow. What a game, and I can't wait to play it.

#75 8 years ago

Imma let you finish, but Tales of the Arabian Nights has the best complete art package of all time. OF ALL TIME!

But srsly, that Rob Zombie cabinet and translite look pretty nice too.

#76 8 years ago

I'm really happy we get some fancy text on the inserts. I appreciate the symbols we've got on games like TWD and Metallica but I can't think of any recent game that differentiated the text within the inserts as much as RZ. AMH (and PZFBTG) had boring, samey inserts by comparison.

Really, not to knock AMH, but the cabinet, translite, and playfield art are nothing special. RZ knocks 2 of those way out of the park, and shows promise of something I really like with the insert art. Spooky's obviously way on upswing in art. Once they tie everything together, I can see a future game playfield that look as good as CFTBL that even Aurich can't complain about.

playfield1.jpgplayfield1.jpg

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

I'm really happy we get some fancy text on the inserts. I appreciate the symbols we've got on games like TWD and Metallica but I can't think of any recent game that differentiated the text within the inserts as much as RZ. AMH (and PZFBTG) had boring, samey inserts by comparison.
    Really, not to knock AMH, but the cabinet, translite, and playfield art are nothing special. RZ knocks 2 of those way out of the park, and shows promise of something I really like with the insert art. Spooky's obviously way on upswing in art. Once they tie everything together, I can see a future game playfield that look as good as CFTBL that even Aurich can't complain about.

playfield1.jpg

Creech playfield is definitely top 5 all time.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Imma let you finish, but Tales of the Arabian Nights has the best complete art package of all time. OF ALL TIME!
    But srsly, that Rob Zombie cabinet and translite look pretty nice too.

Totan has great art but the gameplay code is quite lackluster, I'd rather have a game that has excellent coding......Met, TRON, acdc, TWD just to mention a few.

Zombie art looks great on the cab/trans, PF art could use a little boost but yeah, all that matters is the gameplay.

Edit----I'll add Lotr on there, he knocked it out the park with that code.

#79 8 years ago

Absolutely awesome!

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Met, TRON, acdc, TWD just to mention a few.

Yep, the horrendous play field art on Tron and Ac/dc should tell you how important it is to the overall game play

#81 8 years ago

Ice

Remember when you were an unreasonable JJP defender? I mean the type that would ignore reality & etc?

You're doing it again.

The only difference now is we like Spooky... and you... Sometimes

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Ice
    Remember when you were an unreasonable JJP defender? I mean the type that would ignore reality & etc?
    You're doing it again.
    The only difference now is we like Spooky... and you... Sometimes

He was also an unreasonable jpop defender, how did that that work out.

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Totan has great art but the gameplay code is quite lackluster, I'd rather have a game that has excellent coding......Met, TRON, acdc, TWD just to mention a few.

We're not commenting about code or whether we'd buy the game here, just the art.

b30.jpgb30.jpg

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Tales of the Arabian Nights has the best complete art package of all time.

Sorry, not even close to Big Bang Bar. BBB has the best art on a modern game.

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

We're not commenting about code or weather we'd buy the game here, just the art.
    b30.jpg

I'll comment on whatever the fuck I want. How's the weather?

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I'll comment on whatever the fuck I want. How's the weather?

73 today. Too hot for a couple weeks from Christmas.

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

73 today. Too hot for a couple weeks from Christmas.

59 and rainy in TRONville

#88 8 years ago

The PF art could use a boost, But I'd find a way to leave that witch on there.

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

link to release video here
    » YouTube video

I watched that video a couple of times. Probably one of the better promo videos I've seen by any manufacturer. It really is well done and gets you psyched about playing the game. It looks like a fun game! CURSING!!!!? YES! Pinball is all about curse words, smacking balls around and scantily clad she-devils.

The art looks great to me. I could see how some would suggest that the playfield looks a bit barren and needs more of it. Spruce up the playfield to be more in line with the backglass and cabinet, and you could possibly be a contender for "best art on a pinball".

What a cool looking game/theme! (That I'll probably never play...)

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-pinball-best-art-on-a-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.