(Topic ID: 146479)

Rob Zombie's pinball best art on a pinball ?

By 2Kaulitz

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Rob Zombie's Spook Show International Pinball Have Best Art Work Ever ?”

• YES 58 votes
      27%
    • NO 158 votes
      73%

(216 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b30.jpg
    playfield1.jpg
    rz_pf.jpg
    RobZombieFlyer.jpg
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

I wanted to put out poll to see what everyone thinks of the new bad ass art work for Rob Zombie pinball.

#2 8 years ago

Don't know never seen it. Not posted in this thread or linked above so i guess I'll go wanton

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't know never seen it. Not posted in this thread or linked above so i guess I'll go wanton

RobZombieFlyer.jpgRobZombieFlyer.jpg

#4 8 years ago

Cabinet art and backglass yes, playfield art not so much.

#5 8 years ago

Love the cabinet and backglass (translite), but the playfield looks plain between the top of Rob's head and the witch. It's like it needed something more around the inserts IMO.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Cabinet art and backglass yes, playfield art not so much.

I would say decent on the cabinet, but the playfield... Overall not even close to best-ever artwork.

#7 8 years ago

"Best Artwork Ever"? Probably not, but it sure does look pretty cool...

#8 8 years ago

The cabinet is great. The translite is great. The LE translite is even better than the normal one.

I guess what I would say is I wish the LE translite was just the regular one, no need for an LE with only 300 made, and that the time spent on the other translite was put into the playfield and plastics.

At the end of the day what I care about more is the playfield and plastics, and not the cabinet. So no, I wouldn't call it best art on a pinball.

#9 8 years ago

Cabinet probably?
    Backglass - Fathom
    Playfield - Centaur

Edit* Changed maybe to probably.

#10 8 years ago

I have to say i think that the cabinet art is best i have seen. I'm also a alex horley fan love his art.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

The cabinet is great. The translite is great. The LE translite is even better than the normal one.
    I guess what I would say is I wish the LE translite was just the regular one, no need for an LE with only 300 made, and that the time spent on the other translite was put into the playfield and plastics.
    At the end of the day what I care about more is the playfield and plastics, and not the cabinet. So no, I wouldn't call it best art on a pinball.

I agree with your art assessment. What I really care about is gameplay and things to shoot for/toys and thats what im waiting to see as its pretty sparse imo? Lots of cool plastic models and things but doesn't look like there is much to do . I know the rules and codeimg will be great tho . Overall good looking pin with great theme . Im on the list but probably not gonna have enough people pass to get to me which im actually fine with at this point.

#12 8 years ago

Its also seemingly sparse on inserts. More inserts with more keylining / text to go with it I think would help a lot IMHO. Or at least scoot them down ? I dunno, not an artist.

At any rate, not a theme for me so don't want to be too negative as it was never going to be my thing.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I know the rules and codeimg will be great tho .

Just curious, why do you say that? I'm not saying they won't be, but since the coder in question has never done a pinball game (Ben isn't coding this one) it seems odd to say that you know they'll be great already.

#14 8 years ago

I'm a fan of what Spooky is doing & I reeeallly want them to do well

But the PF art is a HUGE let down IMO

We need Metallica or KISS style art on a RZ game!

No matter, it's a low production game so I won't ever end up with one anyway

Best of luck Spooky

#15 8 years ago

Although this game's cabinet art is pretty amazing, not the best ever for me. There are some awesome art packages over the years, but not sure if one game is overall the best:

Translite/BG: Embryon
    Playfield: Centaur
    Cabinet: Xmen Wolverine LE

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Just curious, why do you say that? I'm not saying they won't be, but since the coder in question has never done a pinball game (Ben isn't coding this one) it seems odd to say that you know they'll be great already.

O really .... I must have missed that ? I figured it wld have the awesome rules amh does? Im sure ben is at least overseeing it ?

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

O really ....? I figured it wld have the awesome rules amh does?

I don't know anything about the rules, so I couldn't say what they'll be like. But it's not programmed by the same person who did AMH, so I don't think that's really something you can figure. We've never seen a pin from this programmer, it's a mystery what kind of game it will be.

#18 8 years ago

The playfield and plastics aren't great. Everything else looks fantastic.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I don't know anything about the rules, so I couldn't say what they'll be like. But it's not programmed by the same person who did AMH, so I don't think that's really something you can figure. We've never seen a pin from this programmer, it's a mystery what kind of game it will be.

Lol u quoted me before I was done .. anyhow never mind I thought ben was doing it or at least working with someone on it ? I saw he posted that video of the video mode and figured it was his like amh was . I guess not tho .

#20 8 years ago

Watching some videos of pinball zombies the play field hasn't changed much? Looks like it will play fast like a jacked up em witn 4 slingshots and 3 crazy placed pops ., with one ramp and upper playfield . Coding could make it interesting enough tho since it looks to be fast and difficult . While the cab art is great it wldnt be seen in most gamrooms with multiple pins like mine so playfield is whats most important to me .

#21 8 years ago

Nice looking cab and glass.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Wow you saved me a lot of typing... It's a perfect summary!

Not having Horley create an integrated playfield like DD did on Metallica is like not dotting the i or crossing the t on an otherwise great looking game. Unfortunately for me, artwork is a prime consideration on a game... it's why I still can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Tron or AC/DC regardless of everything else in the game... those playfields, ugh. Unfortunately with SSI there's no way to hide the barren playfield with ramp lighting like Tron or replacing the massive Angus face with a lower playfield. SSI game play needs to hit it out of the park to make up for that playfield miss, and that's no guarantee with a first time software developer.

#23 8 years ago

RZ is very nice , but.......

Best BG EATPM, Haunted House and Monster Bash are a close second.

Best PF Scared Stiff , Haunted house second

Best CAB is CFTBL, MM is a close second. IMHO

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

The playfield and plastics aren't great. Everything else looks fantastic.

Basically, the only part that really matters looks horrendous. My words, not your's.

#25 8 years ago

The LE translite (and the standard) are in the running for my favorite of all time. I agree with the other comments, overall I don't think it's #1...

#26 8 years ago

Of course, it's a dumb, misguided thread.

It's great artwork. How about leaving it at that? Horley is fantastic.

The rest of you dopes that think you can do any better, give it a go.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Of course, it's a dumb, misguided thread.
    It's great artwork. How about leaving it at that? Horley is fantastic.
    The rest of you dopes that think you can do any better, give it a go.

Beer goggles already?

#28 8 years ago

All I'm seeing is people politely expressing their preferences, no need to get all protective ice.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Beer goggles already?

It's not the best, not the worst, it's just really good, why isn't that ok? I like it a whole lot. Even with beer goggles on!

#30 8 years ago

I really respect Charlie and Spooky a lot. They're an amazing group, no question, and I love that they're seeing continued success. I don't like to feel like I'm being critical of them. This is my thought:

I don't think that people don't realize how hard playfields are to do the art on right. They're unique beasts. They're based around ball geometry, and plastic shapes, and inserts, and toys, and ramps that cover art, and you look at them from a very low, oblique angle. Nothing that is logical to what you're painting, you're in service of the game.

I can pretty much guarantee that Alex Horley has never done anything like one since this is his first pin, and I've looked through his portfolios of excellent work.

And you have to realize that he is a true paint and canvas artist. He draws in pencil, does a rough painting, and then paints the real thing. It's not digital.

And frankly doing a playfield for the first time, off a CAD drawing you got in the mail, it's really not making things easier.

When you combine those two facts you're faced with trying something unfamiliar and tricky, working with a new thing, using a medium that doesn't do nearly-instant iteration and adjustment. He's painting, not photoshopping, and that's rad. But when the playfield designers moves a ramp over and changes some posts after testing ... shit, you can't just move them over and clone in the blank spots or something.

#31 8 years ago

A Python Anghelo playfield wins all day long. Nonetheless, it is always exciting to see pinball thriving with new design and concepts.

#32 8 years ago

Just catching up....Playfield art looks horrible maybe worse than barb Wire

#33 8 years ago

I am not in on this pin and the theme is really not for me, but the cabinet and both translites look awesome. The playfield does look a bit bare and empty in the top playfield and above RZ. I reckon if they incorporated some more art above RZ like the BG and some more art around the inserts it could look better.

I am sure once standing in front of the game that it looks much better as photos never do a design justice.

#34 8 years ago

Best artwork ever? Can't get a good view of the plastics, but the cab and translight are a 10, considering the best cabs to date are only OK.

Very psyched to see Murray the Robot, Capt. Spaulding, Flipper Fidelity, Sid Haig call outs, RZ music modes, and a color DMD.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from BrewersArcade:

A Python Anghelo playfield wins all day long. Nonetheless, it is always exciting to see pinball thriving with new design and concepts.

Aren't python's playfields from a top down perspective? I think his theme park playfields are neat but I wouldn't call them best ever. I guess he did Popeye too. What else?

#36 8 years ago

Not the best art...for that you have to go to Mr. Paul Faris (see an hd image of Space Invaders or Paragon for great pinball art). Dirty Donny came close with MET but I swear it looks like he just adapted Paul's style to his own. In any case RZ is a damn fine effort by Spooky on the cab and art. However Spooky needs to get some input from a guy like Nordman on pf designs in the future to really score a big win.

#37 8 years ago

However Spooky needs to get some input from a guy like Nordman on pf designs in the future to really score a big win.

Nordman did provide input on this pf

#38 8 years ago

I need to see it in person to really be able to place it for myself.

Before the below, in general I don't give art a ton of thought on games. I mean, hell, VND is one of my favorite machines, and I don't think that playfield art was ever worse than that one. I mean, for absolutely no reason on a game they were trying to sell to arcades that were having success with blacklight air hockey, they randomly pasted a completely out of place hitch-hiking lady in the middle. She looks nothing like anything else on the playfield, and she is totally washed out. In fact, pictures of her make her look *better* than she does in real life, and they are horrible. So, I don't necessarily put a ton of thought into art... anyway...

I think the best overall pinball package is Popeye (yeah, seriously) because of how it integrates absolutely everything into the design of the "ship." I honestly have it set up right now because the art just makes me smile when I see it.

Second best to me is Metallica. Here's the thing too - when I saw Metallica in the pictures, I thought it looked like an odd garbled mess. The playfield looked too blue, the sideart looked to me like a cheesy cartoon. The look did nothing for me.

Went to a friend's house who had one (a Pro) and upon seeing it was completely blown away. In person, the art is absolutely stunning and perfect for what the game is.

How will Rob Zombie ultimately flow together? I want to see it before I make that call. I will say this - in pictures, I think the playfield doesn't look incredible... but, when you watch the Youtube video and you see it lit up, it looks incredible. It may be that the game is designed to a mood (which would make total sense for Zombie and what he does) and you can't see that mood in pictures.

Remember, Rob approved the art himself. Not just is Rob a musician, but he also is a college grad with a degree in graphic design. I have a hunch that if he approved it, it's great.

#39 8 years ago

I'm not a fan of faces between the flippers, don't like it on Hurricane or Wizard of Oz, for example.

However, I think the playfield art and plastics on this machine are fine. There's some space there but it contrasts nicely with the much busier back of the playfield and all the intricate toys. The face and background have a luminous, glowing quality which gives the machine its own individual, classic look.

It seems that there are also a lot of little details on the plastics which will become more apparent on closer inspection.

#40 8 years ago

The plastics look boring, would like to seen some cool Rob Zombie doodles (like he used to do on Headbangers Ball). The playfield looks very sparse. The Rob Zombie portrait looks really cool, but not a fan of the rest of the art layout.

#41 8 years ago

Curious about the playfield. Looks like it isn't clear coated. Must be the prototype PF. I bet it would look much nicer with some shine and reflections.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Curious about the playfield. Looks like it isn't clear coated. Must be the prototype PF. I bet it would look much nicer with some shine and reflections.

pretty sure it is cleared but fairly fresh, and not left as long as Charlie wanted

#43 8 years ago

Would love to hear what made them go so minimalist on the playfield.
    Everything else is Wow!!!

#44 8 years ago

nice cabinet art. after that.... eh. i will stay away from this one. played americas most haunted and if its like that, its lame. hope its better than amh

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinsideTroll:

nice cabinet art. after that.... eh. i will stay away from this one. played americas most haunted and if its like that, its lame. hope its better than amh

I actually like amh as do many people . Game Play is really fun with alot to do and amazing rules . This pin is pretty sparse tho compared to amh from the looks of it but it may hide a bunch of things in the back somewhere. Regardless good looking pin with cool theme

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Nordman did provide input on this pf

Ha..really? That's odd, I must have missed that tidbit. It looks a bit Spartan compared to his designs. Maybe it was just a consult about something other than the layout..?

Edit: found it, only helped with the small pf....
    "I did the bulk of design, Ben of course has his fingerprints in the game, and Dennis Nordman helped us with the upper playfield. Basically Dennis makes sure we don't screw it up royally".

#47 8 years ago

I think it all looks great and man some of you guys are just way too picky; I'm happy as hell we have a rob zombie pin and way to go spooky; all the haters can just well you know

#48 8 years ago

Cabinet and translight art are near the top all time, playfield art is near the bottom all time. I mean...AMH pf art is much better than RZSSI, and AMH is near the bottom in that department. That and the layout likely will have me bailing and releasing my slot to someone else...unless the upcoming gameplay video is awesome.

#49 8 years ago

You go all the way and buy it,put 50-100 games on it and then sell it ,think of me

#50 8 years ago

Hobbit play field after it was revised looks better, also not a fan of just one ramp in a game if this is what it may appear to be based on what I think I read. RZ playfield too plain for me, hope Alice Cooper is better.

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombies-pinball-best-art-on-a-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.