(82 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CD33E834-0E5C-485C-8867-89491986CB8E (resized).jpeg
B31CECD5-C1AF-4B9D-933E-203B676149AF (resized).jpeg
406B3C56-FD96-49C7-B1D4-683D4DDAB05C (resized).jpeg
4415EFD8-1FA0-495F-868C-7E910A61D16D (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I’ve been intrigued by both of these pins for quite some time. Both are early (if not first) efforts of small boutique companies, both seem to be polarizing in terms of reviews (some love, some hate), both have very limited runs and both have very depressed prices. Let’s say you can get a Houdini for $5000 or a Rob Zombie for $4200. Which would you get and why?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I’ve been intrigued by both of these pins for quite some time. Both are early (if not first) efforts of small boutique companies, both seem to be polarizing in terms of reviews (some love, some hate), both have very limited runs and both have very depressed prices. Let’s say you can get a Houdini for $5000 or a Rob Zombie for $4200. Which would you get and why?

Houdini, Houdini, Houdini... Houdini. It's a spectacular first effort from a company, and better yet, isn't Rob Zombie. I usually get killed for saying this, but I wouldn't buy a HUO RZ for $3K. Houdini at $5K is a ton of pinball for the money.

#3 3 years ago

OMG not even in the same league. Rob Zombie is requires a unique taste, not kid friendly and very dark. Gameplay is meh, at best. Houdini is far superior IMO. Just a well done game with lots to do.

#4 3 years ago

Houdini all day every day and 10x on Sunday! It’s one of the only games I regret selling!! It’s more fun to play even though rob zombie can be brutalising fun!

#5 3 years ago

No

#6 3 years ago

It sort of depends how much you want to save that 800 dollars.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

It sort of depends how much you want to save that 800 dollars.

From the responses so far, it doesn’t sound like the $800 is worth saving. I’ve been close on pulling the trigger on a Houdini twice.

#8 3 years ago

Owned them both and I didn’t keep either but between the two, Houdini is superior in every way.

#9 3 years ago

Owned both, if I were to buy one back it would be zombie. Like some of the music, but not a fan by any means.

Houdini is a more serious game. Tight shots that make you focus. Its got a great looking of, but the sound package is just OK and the display graphics are nothing to write home about.

Rob zombie, is irreverent. If set to adult video and sound its unique. The speakers will shake the house and always found it to getting me to play one more game.

Between the two houdini was better assembled at the factory. Both Rob zombies (started with a regular and the got an le) needed work. Both needed small things adjusted, one needed the ramp to the rear vuk moved. Both needed the coil lugs solder touched up because whoever did it st the factory didn't use enough. After that, both were rock solid and required nothing.

Id say both are flawed games in their own way. Rz didn't get all the code features spooky promised. Houdini is love or hate do to the tight shots. Big question is wh a t kind of game do you want in your collection?

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Big question is wh a t kind of game do you want in your collection?

Great perspective. Would also say based on the OP’s collection there are SOoo many amazing games available with a 5k budget not sure these titles would be my focus personally.

#11 3 years ago

Houdini is a far better game. It is actually one of The Most Underrated games out there.

Easy choice.

#12 3 years ago

I like both, had a Rob Zombie for a while and I enjoyed it but at some point my daughter told me that the game was scaring her so I had to sell it. Something to add into the equation if you have young children. I did really like the game when I had it , and I do miss it. my taste in pinball may not align with the majority though ( I prefer more difficult games).

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

From the responses so far, it doesn’t sound like the $800 is worth saving. I’ve been close on pulling the trigger on a Houdini twice.

If those are your choices, Houdini all day long. The blurry, low res graphics on Rob Zombie drive me nuts and it feels unfinished. Houdini is quirky and has it's own issues, but is much deeper and reasonably fun.

#14 3 years ago

Houdini is a very fun pin. Try to play them somewhere if you can.

#15 3 years ago

If I had to choose between those two I would rather keep the money

#16 3 years ago

I would rather have a steaming pile of dog shit than a RZ pinball machine. With that being said though there are better games than Houdini that are in or near that price range also.

#17 3 years ago

I own both, but at these prices, go with RZ. It's a very underrated pin. Not sure why it gets so much hate, probably prudes that can't handle the profanity. Best callouts in pinball. Fast&nasty machine. Medisinyl mods are a must have. The only downside is that SpookyCharlie and FawzmaGames continue to refuse to deliver the final code update they have promised for a long time now.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

Not sure why it gets so much hate, probably prudes that can't handle the profanity.

Nope. It’s just not fun to shoot. Rules are interesting and makes me want to play it each time I’m in front of one, but it’s just not a good shooter.

Houdini isn’t the greatest layout in the world, but much more fun to shoot than RZ.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nope. It’s just not fun to shoot. Rules are interesting and makes me want to play it each time I’m in front of one, but it’s just not a good shooter.
Houdini isn’t the greatest layout in the world, but much more fun to shoot than RZ.

I disagree, it is a fun shooter. Down the line, it's gonna be highly collectible with only 300 built. Just give it a few years.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

Not sure why it gets so much hate, probably prudes that can't handle the profanity

It gets so much hate because it's awful. I got a plastic pinball machine from Sears when I was a kid for Christmas that was way more fun than RZ.

Also it's not the cussing because I cuss like a sailor. The game sucks so bad that I cant play it long enough to be offended.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

I disagree, it is a fun shooter. Down the line, it's gonna be highly collectible with only 300 built. Just give it a few years.

Disagree but glad you like your game! Something out there for everyone.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It gets so much hate because it's awful. I got a plastic pinball machine from Sears when I was a kid for Christmas that was way more fun than RZ.
Also it's not the cussing because I cuss like a sailor. The game sucks so bad that I cant play it long enough to be offended.

Yeah it's not though. Pinside groupthink decided a long time ago to hate it when it came out. At first, most machines didn't really make it to people that appreciate it. You can see that is slowly changing now. Many new owners absolutely love it. I got mine a few months ago and mine will never leave. Captain Spaulding For President!

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

You can see that is slowly changing now. Many new owners absolutely love it.

Why would someone buy a game they don’t like? Haha

I’ve put lots of time on this game, it just hasn’t held my interest. I’ll always put some plays on it when i go to my buddy’s house though. Just have no desire to get one even at the current prices which are more than fair.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Why would someone buy a game they don’t like?

They sold out before anyone even played it.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

They sold out before anyone even played it.

Not sure how that’s relevant to my question and these were very easy to buy the moment the were all built. If you’re in America looking for one they are easy to find and very cheap compared to the NIB price.

For the OP, if you’re leaning one way or the other try your best to find one to play before buying. These games aren’t for everyone. Both are hard with non traditional layouts.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Great perspective. Would also say based on the OP’s collection there are SOoo many amazing games available with a 5k budget not sure these titles would be my focus personally.

I kind of like to think outside of the box. What other titles for 5k are you referring to? I can’t see myself picking up another Stern. I’d like to try a JJP, AP or Spooky pin due to them all offering something different to what I’d call the traditional Stern approach. I guess what I’m saying is I don’t necessarily follow the trends.

#27 3 years ago

Played both and like both. Houdini is deeper. Love RZ music. Tough choice but would give Houdini the edge.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Pinside tends to skew toward the same shit. They say they want new, but rush to buy the same cookie cutter layouts when announced. They say they want tough games like tz, but when houdini came out it was a bitch fest.

Is met pro a better game than rz? Sure, but I'm sick of Metallica. Everyone and their dog has a Metallica. Same can be said of iron maiden. Does rz have enough compelling features to keep me entertained with a shot layout I like? Yep. Love the chop save. Love some of the modes having me avoid shots. Enjoy the multiball needing 1k switch hits. At least rz did stuff you don't see on every game.

For 5k and op saying non stern, id say amh. I got rid of rz due to needing funds and it was the easiest to replace. Amh is a better game I'm. Not as hea r t pounding but funnier. Plenty of depth to it. It does need more tweaks than rz. Its a pain in the ass to take apart when servos fail. The apron is hot garbage, but the game is certainly fun.

After that full throttle, but that requires you to be very willing to work on games.

#29 3 years ago

OK,this is another one where you like them ,or, you don't!! I got a "Houdini" nib.Played it for about a year! It was so repetitious,and the graphics weren't synchronized!Got a chance to trade it for a RZ!! Got all the fine mods that go with it and never looked back!!With the Houdini,I got bored fixing the trunk shot!! And talk about stupid shots, just try to make the "Milkcan "shot 3 times in a row!! Not possible.horrible PF!! Of course, this is just one opinion!

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I’ve been in the same boat. Just pulled trigger this week. HUO under 100 plays and a ton of mods. Can’t wait to get it.

Should be here in 2 weeks.

4415EFD8-1FA0-495F-868C-7E910A61D16D (resized).jpeg4415EFD8-1FA0-495F-868C-7E910A61D16D (resized).jpeg406B3C56-FD96-49C7-B1D4-683D4DDAB05C (resized).jpeg406B3C56-FD96-49C7-B1D4-683D4DDAB05C (resized).jpegB31CECD5-C1AF-4B9D-933E-203B676149AF (resized).jpegB31CECD5-C1AF-4B9D-933E-203B676149AF (resized).jpeg
#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I kind of like to think outside of the box. What other titles for 5k are you referring to? I can’t see myself picking up another Stern. I’d like to try a JJP, AP or Spooky pin due to them all offering something different to what I’d call the traditional Stern approach. I guess what I’m saying is I don’t necessarily follow the trends.

I personally would look towards a JP Pro. Such an excellent game and one could be had used for a little above the 5K mark and it's a keeper for life imo.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I personally would look towards a JP Pro. Such an excellent game and one could be had used for a little above the 5K mark and it's a keeper for life imo.

My buddy has a JP premium that I’ve spent a lot of time on. It’s a good pin, but probably not one I’d purchase. Again, it’s a good pin but not one I get excited about as much as others.

#33 3 years ago

You'll know from my avatar which way I voted but my advice is to play them both if at all possible first. I know that's difficult now so I'll say it's an easy choice for me because I'm not into RZ at all but I do enjoy playing it when I can. In needs some serious help in the lighting department if you play in anything but a very well lit room and I think it feels a bit clunky as well. Houdini also received the general pinside hatred from the beginning and it's just a matter of time (surprised it hasn't happened yet) that one of them brings up the whole "never did a Whitewood" thing, but if you give it time, tweak a few physical and software settings I think it shines for home use. Full color RGB inserts, tons of modes, several mini wizard modes, etc.

#34 3 years ago

CD33E834-0E5C-485C-8867-89491986CB8E (resized).jpegCD33E834-0E5C-485C-8867-89491986CB8E (resized).jpeg

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Well then that makes things difficult if your hell bent on avoiding Stern as they make 90% of the titles out there most of which are amazing. DP, IM, MET, JP, Munsters, TMNT, Maiden, and so on in Pro would be close to your budget and all are great fun and easy to sell should you wish to change things up later. If your committed to Only non Stern (???) my money is on Hot Wheels all day over your other choices. Great game and the best API has done in my opinion. Good luck with Your choice.

#36 3 years ago

I vote hot wheel too if you can stretch the budget a little.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I vote hot wheel too if you can stretch the budget a little.

Budget isn’t a driving concern with the two choices. There are just one of each for sale locally in the price ranges I mentioned and I’ve just been so intrigued by each. I got a nice offer from a fellow Pinsider to play his RZ. Hope to do so this week.

Hot Wheels is an interesting thought. I guess I never really considered it.

#38 3 years ago

Chances are neither game will be a keeper, bolted to the floor, last to leave, you’ll be buried with it, etc.

So one way to look at it is if you are going to buy one to dork around with for a while, which will be easier to sell down the road when you get tired of it.

You really need to play both to decide which is more enjoyable. There are way too many games out there that people swear are the cat’s meow and others think are terrible.

To answer the question: In the “I have to make a choice” department, I like the RZ theme, art and music more. Very superficial answer, because I did not really enjoy playing either game.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

#39 3 years ago

I love Rob Zombie music but the pin is a disaster, Houdini has way more in it and I enjoyed it when played, not sure why it gets a bad rap either but has to be way better than RZ.

4 months later
#40 3 years ago

so OP....which did you get if any? I want to know the end of the story

#41 3 years ago

Didn't realize how old this thread was.
RZ stinks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombie-vs-houdini?hl=oldbaby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.