(Topic ID: 224309)

Rob Zombie tech help needed - coils firing during Superbeast

By jitneystand1

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Thanks in advance. On my RZ when I beat the Superbeast mode (hit the ramp 5 times) and start multiball a couple coils start firing over and over (once per second, maybe a little faster) until I get back down to one ball, then it stops. It's the drop target coil for sure, and I think maybe the diverter coil in the murder ride. Only during Superbeast multiball, the entire multiball until it's over, never at any other time.

I've already reloaded the code so that's been eliminated...really no idea what else it could be so hoping you guys can help?

#2 5 years ago

Which number is your RZ? Mine was #120, although it was sold long ago. The problem is the 3.3V signal cables were routed with high voltage coils so it was possible to get false switch hits. On my game false tilt switches were the issue. I put a scope on it and figured out the issue. Rerouting the cables (so the 3.3V signal cables were further away), twisting with the ground to reduce ground loops, and placing iron cores on the cables took care of the issue. I talked to Charlie about it and they were going to change how future games were wired, but it may be a problem in the first 120+ a few or so games.

3 weeks later
#3 5 years ago

In case anyone visits this topic in the future, the issue was that the switch arm for the drop target had somehow gotten below the metal plate on the bottom of the reset coil. So the switch was always stuck on, with the exception of only a moment when the drop target reset (I hope that makes sense). In Superbeast the drop target resets every time it's hit, which is why this was the only time the game exhibited this behavior.

There was other behavior with the game that I would have noticed if I was familiar with it (drop target stuff like opening up the murder ride...I thought it was just always open), but since it was like that before I bought it I didn't realize anything was wrong.

And by the way Spooky service pointed me in the right direction, answering an e-mail after 10pm. Those guys are amazing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
Wanted
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombie-tech-help-needed-coils-firing-during-superbeast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.