6 dirty backboxes (resized).JPG
5 dirty backboxes (resized).JPG
closeup playfield (resized).JPG
closeup playfield 2 (resized).JPG
partially stripped (resized).JPG
cleaned up playfields to scan (resized).JPG
IMG_9248 (resized).jpg
DSC07412 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider puck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

We were lucky enough to find someone with not one but two Asteroid Annie and the Aliens pinball machines. Going to post photos as we restore these super rare pinball machines.

DSC07412 (resized).jpgDSC07412 (resized).jpg
IMG_9248 (resized).jpgIMG_9248 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Damn some big files.

1 month later
#7 6 years ago

Let the reconstruction begin. Glass ordered. Going to attempt UV printing on glass and then screening a reflective layer mask behind it. More to come.

2 months later
#8 6 years ago

After about 6hrs into the glass restore I decided that the pixel acuity wasn't good enough for me. Did a test on paper and while 95% of people looking at it from 4ft would have said it's amazing I couldn't stand it. Found a specialized scanner that had a depth of scanning that would do the trick.

Robert and I went and looked at the UV double strike on white with the reflective mask on the back and we were pleasantly surprised by the color saturation of reverse printing on glass. Here is a sample of the new scan. PRE color correction. PRE sharpen. Gives you a good idea of how much work we have to do to clean it up, but you can clearly see the difference in sharpness. Pink is where we have no paint.

As much as I would like to have someone who can screen this for me, I don't think it's feasible to do. If anyone has advise on this or contacts that are willing to try, please get in touch.

Anyways thanks for following along on the journey. We are also re-producing one playfield, so stay tuned for that.

5 months later
#12 6 years ago

Thanks for the bump. I’ll post photos, but not much has happened, we picked up glass for the printing and have tested direct to play field printing on a Bally table for testing color saturation and alignment.

Cab - both are sanded and ready for paint. It’s winter in Canada so we are waiting for good weather, maybe next month? Vector decals are done, decal cutter acquired and tested,
Boards - all good!
Play field - retouch was put on hold for a bally project mentioned above
Back glass - same status, but glass is all cut ready for print,

I’ll let Pinball-Rob update his side

3 months later
#14 5 years ago

back to work

5 months later
#16 5 years ago

First play-field print test done. Color needs some work. If anyone has a pantone book and a NOS play-field I would love some swatch numbers.

#17 5 years ago

Also, backglass art done. Still finding small imperfections.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

If you are ever able to offer a playfield for sale - I would gladly take one!
@iwantansi bought the last known NOS playfield and may be able to provide some color matching. If we need to come up with a Pantone book to make it happen, I can source one.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! I don't have the skill or the materials to make them from scratch. We will be printing on the old wood. I imagine there would be some issues with putting these up for sale so no plans to do that at this time. Here is a low-res preview. If you see issues please let me know still finding things to fix myself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider puck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-jon-take-on-two-aliens-asteroid-annie-and-the-aliens?tu=puck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.