Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pinster68
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I have a chance to pick up a roadshow, I have TZ TAF BK BK2K Will roadshow be too much more of the same gameplay? or worth picking up?

#2 11 years ago

It's on my Top 10 list for a reason. It's a great machine with a good ruleset, and the music and voice work are excellent.

#3 11 years ago

As long as you dont overpay you can always sell it when you dont like it..
I had one and didnt like it much.. But others really love it.

#4 11 years ago

Yep its a good pin

#5 11 years ago

bought mine 2 weeks ago! (didnt arrive yet)
really cool game, but i dont have TZ or TAF on my collection..

#6 11 years ago

Great game, was my second pin and will probably never get rid of it.

#7 11 years ago

I loooove RS. Would probably be the last game I ever get rid of. Had a TZ and RS, RS is still here.

#8 11 years ago

Agree with those above.
Like it a lot.
Unique with the talking heads, plus game play is good.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Had a TZ and RS, RS is still here.

Me too, lot of fun for all and plenty to do. If you get for a good price, you will always be able to sell later as interest in the game seems to be increasing.

Things to look for are wear near the fish from the ball exiting the scoop and of course Red and Ted as they are a pain to repair.

#10 11 years ago

You know, so many people say they are hard to repair. They are not! They aren't any harder than any toy you have to take out in pinball. The mouths move by a motor, the rest by coils. It's really quite easy. Don't let people scare you.

#11 11 years ago

I've kept RS over TZ and TAF... yes it's a mode based Lawlor, so similar from that view... but the feel of the game is totally different... I like how you have to go across the States 3 times and be careful which cities you chose on the 2nd and 3rd times to make sure you pick 'em all... You have to like Red and Ted's 'humour' though or the game will grate!!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You know, so many people say they are hard to repair. They are not! They aren't any harder than any toy you have to take out in pinball. The mouths move by a motor, the rest by coils. It's really quite easy. Don't let people scare you.

I know it is not too bad (I've done it), just takes time and the parts can add up

#13 11 years ago

i have one in my collection and i love it. i find myself playing RS more than i do my LotR (and i claim that LotR is my favorite machine)

from the shaker motor to the silly call outs to the talking heads, i find it to be one great thing after another.

for the right money i would add it to any collection.

#14 11 years ago

Superb game, TZ and TAF have come and gone, RS has remained for over 10 years, it is truly a brilliant game

#15 11 years ago

One of my favorite shots in all of pinball is from the lower left flipper to the blast zone!

#16 11 years ago

I have one for sale, listed in the marketplace right now if anyone is interested.

http://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/2373

#17 11 years ago

Very fun game, miss it.

#18 11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback... As mentioned it seems that interest is high so I might just pick it up for the experience and see how home ownership of it lasts... I assume it won't be hard to sell if it's not a keeper.

Thanks for the info all!

#19 11 years ago

If you own this, go for the second plunger "falling rocks" skill shot. And wait. And wait.... and after about 30 seconds, Ted says "the suspense will kill 'em every time." I laughed.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

If you own this, go for the second plunger "falling rocks" skill shot. And wait. And wait.... and after about 30 seconds, Ted says "the suspense will kill 'em every time." I laughed.

haha, didnt know that. Will have to try

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm still finding new things after owning the game several months, did not know this existed either.

#22 11 years ago

You know the thing is, sometimes I play this with my pin friend, I say "why the hell would somebody not like this?!"

I am referring to the RGP crowd, who loath this game. I simply don't know why. Nor do I care.

#23 11 years ago

I like RS quite a bit. I'm a bit pi$$ed at myself for not buying one a few months back. At the time, i was "over my limit" for machines, so i passed. dumb move. I think it has the potential to get old over time, however.

I believe this is a machine that you will have a hard time "finishing" on one credit, so if that's something that you don't like, you should pass. I also believe the modes are linear (not sure), so that is also something to consider.

Good luck! I'd do it if reasonable.

#24 11 years ago

Yes, great value! Fun and family friendly

#25 11 years ago

Yes Dave the linear play is my concern

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I also believe the modes are linear (not sure), so that is also something to consider.

Depends what you mean by linear... they're not stackable like TZ if that's what you mean, but they do vary since the city (mode) that's lit changes as you hit switches... I think it toggles between 2 cities, so you can either start the one that's lit, or hit some more stuff to light the another one in that particular pair... Part of the strategy when you're on your 2nd/3rd run across to make sure you light 'em all!

The secret video mode in Bob's souvenir shop is a blast too

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Fun and family friendly

Unless your family happen to be from Pakistan and are in the taxi business

#28 11 years ago

Well, i have about 4 hours total time on a RS and I would own one based on those experiences. There is a nice one on location near me that I get to play, so i can be patient about finding one for myself. I say "go for it" if condition and price are good.

#29 11 years ago

The modes are not entirely linear in Road Show. If you look closely at the US map, you will notice three different colors around the city inserts. You can *change* what the next city is going to be by hitting the appropriate colored TARGET elsewhere on the playfield before hitting the start scoop.

How many of you can quickly and easily hit the Radio target to "change the station"?

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

You can *change* what the next city is going to be by hitting the appropriate colored TARGET elsewhere on the playfield before hitting the start scoop.

I didn't realise you hit specific targets to change the city... I thought it was just after a certain number... but that's just me being dumb... I'll certainly pay more attention next time... thanks for the heads up!

#31 11 years ago

How do you get to the secret video mode at the souvenir shop? I have'nt seen this yet

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

How do you get to the secret video mode at the souvenir shop? I have'nt seen this yet

I've absolutely no idea... in fact, I think it doesn't exist... my post was pure sarcasm

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I didn't realise you hit specific targets to change the city... I thought it was just after a certain number... but that's just me being dumb... I'll certainly pay more attention next time... thatks for the heads up!

What? You mean you don't know all the rulesets for all 89 of your machines? c'mon, man!

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

What? You mean you don't know all the rulesets for all 89 of your machines? c'mon, man! []

I admit it, I'm a slacker

#35 11 years ago

I've just never been able to get into it, but honestly I've never played one that was in excellent shape.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

Will roadshow be too much more of the same gameplay?

There are no games that replicate the gameplay of Roadshow. It is a unique pinball experience, for sure. It's not like all the fan layout games where you are essentially just playing a refreshed version of AFM...

#37 11 years ago

It's not just the yellow/orange/white targets, but if you look at your pop bumpers, you will notice they too are yellow/orange/white. So either one changes the city (to... you guessed it.... either the yellow, orange or white path).

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

It's not just the yellow/orange/white targets, but if you look at your pop bumpers, you will notice they too are yellow/orange/white. So either one changes the city (to... you guessed it.... either the yellow, orange or white path).

Mmmm, interesting... so my 'recolection' that you could chose between 2 cities was also wrong... you choose between 3, yes...? And after you get a city, does the selection of next cities start from the city immediately after the one you did, or does it jump to the next group of 3?? If it's the latter then you'de have to make sure you got a different (new) city on each 'start city' on each trip across to get them all... I don't remember the game being this punishing though, so I guess the next group of three starts from the one immediately after the one you got... but if this is the case, it means that by careful selection you can get all the cities in one crossing (except the west coast ones which send you back to the start anyway...).

#39 11 years ago

Mmmm, interesting... so my 'recolection' that you could chose between 2 cities was also wrong... you choose between 3, yes...? And after you get a city, does the selection of next cities start from the city immediately after the one you did, or does it jump to the next group of 3?? If it's the latter then you'de have to make sure you got a different (new) city on each 'start city' on each trip across to get them all

That's it!! Back to the table for ya...back back!

#40 11 years ago

Almost any game would be worth picking up for the right price. How much can you snag this Roadshow for if you don't mind me asking? I have one too, love it to death and don't see it leaving anytime soon because I really enjoy how colorful the game is and game play is unique and fun as others have mentioned.

#41 11 years ago

Absolutely go pick it up. I have heard from several people who own it that they weren't sure about it at first, but once it hooks you you're stuck.

I never knew about the ability to change your city path. I thought it was just random. Cool to know. Here's another question though. What controls the right ramp diverter? Is it every other shot to the right ramp, or do you have to mix in a shot to the left ramp? I know a lot of the time the diverter is open for the blast zone shot but the ball still falls down to trail the right flipper. After hundreds of plays I realized I've never noticed a pattern with the diverter.

BTW davewth, your avatar is my favorite Simpsons moment of all time. "Wave to the people. Blow them kisses!"

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

That's it!! Back to the table for ya...back back! []

That's way way easier said than done... That game, being a keeper, is in the keepers zone of the store, which basically means it's right at the back and by now covered with all manner of houseold objects that are all waiting for me to renovate the house where the eventual games-room will be... basically it's burried for at least 3 years!!

#43 11 years ago

Mmmm, interesting... so my 'recolection' that you could chose between 2 cities was also wrong... you choose between 3, yes...?

There's an option in the menu that allows you to pick the same color city in a row twice. So, yes... after your first choice, you pick three every time if you have the option on. you could do orange all the way across the US if you wanted.

#44 11 years ago

A friend /collector has one in his lineup.we always seem to gravitate back to it.I'll own one eventually.

#45 11 years ago

I think I will pull the trigger on this thanks guys!

#46 11 years ago

Definitely worth picking up. One of Lawler's best imo.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Definitely worth picking up. One of Lawler's best imo.

Hey Rawley... finally we agree on something, apart from I'd remove two little words: 'one' and 'of'!!

#48 11 years ago

I traded a STTNG and got paid $1500 for a RS (both mint), what a mistake, one of the few games I could not get into. Only kept it for 4 months, did not care for the gameplay. Not a fan of shaker motors. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.

#49 11 years ago

Hey Rawley... finally we agree on something, apart from I'd remove two little words: 'one' and 'of'!!

TAF is still my favorite pin of all time I think.

#50 11 years ago

It really warms my heart to see all this love for RS in this thread!

I would wholeheartedly recommend that you pick this one up. Great pin, tons of fun, plenty deep with lots of modes.....and cool modes at that.

There are two other posters here who said that they kept their RS over TZ. Well, I'm selling my TZ and am keeping my RS, but I would add that the main reason for that is that while I still like TZ a bit better, RS is a *much* better value to me. I can get a lot more money for TZ than I can RS, so selling RS under those circumstances instead of TZ makes no sense (the disparity in pricing is not justified in any way in my opinion).

As Taylor34 has said in other threads, Theme has as much to do with a value of a pin as anything, and RS probably doesn't have a universally appealing theme, and that keeps the prices down.

This is a "kitchen sink" wide body pin that is one of the best values in pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roadshow-worth-picking-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.