(Topic ID: 78297)

Roadshow pinball full restoration for Ohio show in 30 days !

By stephenshane237

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by exflexer
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
tmp_20140228_120304-748781375.jpg
DSCN1849.JPG
DSCN1848.JPG
DSCN1844.JPG
DSCN1847.JPG
DSCN1843.JPG
DSCN1832.JPG
DSCN1828.JPG
DSCN1826.JPG
image.jpg
DSCN1823.JPG
image.jpg
DSCN1821.JPG
DSCN1820.JPG
DSCN1819.JPG

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

I decided because at the Ohio show there is a few RS's there that play so badly I can understand why people think this game is terrible. I have decided to do a major restoration on this game and finish in time to take it to the Ohio show so people can play. The game will not be for sale as this is the 3rd time I have had this game and its not going anywhere. Please fell free to make any suggestions to this restoration as far as modding as such as you wish. I will be doing a new CC'd playfield, all chrome trim, new cabinet decals, LED's, airbrushing red and ted, polishing ball guides, and the list goes on and on. I have done many restorations a few of them are posted below and I will spend the most time on this one because everyone has MB, TZ, IJ, and AFM's that have had numerous restoration and threads on, I think this will be one of very few RS's that have had all the treatment and $ spent on it as the A-listers.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-high-end-restoration-thread-my-high-end

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-full-restoration-in-20-days

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-playfield-swap-restoration-photos

DSCN1597.JPGDSCN1597.JPG DSCN1598.JPGDSCN1598.JPG DSCN1599.JPGDSCN1599.JPG DSCN1600.JPGDSCN1600.JPG DSCN1601.JPGDSCN1601.JPG
#2 10 years ago

Are you sure it won't be for sale? Good luck with the resto, thanks for the thread

#3 10 years ago

Here is some photos of the playfield being stripped down remove each harness one by one there is 3 of them, lighting, switches, and solenoid and flashers.

DSCN1533.JPGDSCN1533.JPG DSCN1534.JPGDSCN1534.JPG DSCN1537.JPGDSCN1537.JPG DSCN1551.JPGDSCN1551.JPG DSCN1552.JPGDSCN1552.JPG
#4 10 years ago

Next remove all the components on this game and there is a lot of them to do. When I get to the wire looms take many pictured of where the small and large loom goes, and remove the screw on each of the looms. I usually polished the metal parts of the looms, and purple power on the plastic parts. Remember to take pictures of all the posts on the top of the playfield as for placement because on RS good luck finding many photos.

DSCN1569.JPGDSCN1569.JPG DSCN1573.JPGDSCN1573.JPG DSCN1585.JPGDSCN1585.JPG
#5 10 years ago

Now I need to put the initial parts in the tumbler to clean and polish but I only do certain batches at once that way I now that, when this ones done I can put posts onto the playfield, and replace the wire looms while working on the cabinet. I have the new playfield on my rottiserie to do a full waxing with nothing populated yet that way I will have an easier time doing a good wax job and not have to worry about parts in the way.

DSCN1591.JPGDSCN1591.JPG DSCN1594.JPGDSCN1594.JPG DSCN1592.JPGDSCN1592.JPG
#6 10 years ago

Very nice. I look forward to playing this at the show!

#7 10 years ago

I started working on the head last night just getting all the bondo filler applied and ready to start shaping and sanding.

DSCN1613.JPGDSCN1613.JPG DSCN1614.JPGDSCN1614.JPG DSCN1615.JPGDSCN1615.JPG
#8 10 years ago

I received parts from marcos, pinballlife, mike chesnut and pinrestore, still waiting on bay area amusements, treasure cove, pinbits, pinballdecals.com, taylor reese, and pinball center eu. Just a shot of some of the parts bought for this machine with many more on the way.

DSCN1616-551.JPGDSCN1616-551.JPG DSCN1617.JPGDSCN1617.JPG
#9 10 years ago

I started polishing all the ball guides, and also the playfield wire looms and other parts on the underside of playfield I know this is a bit overkill but I want this game to really stand out and since I don't have all my parts yet I have some time. The ball guides take a lot of sanding to get them to really shine nicely and take on that chrome look, for the looms and underside parts I just use buffer and they take on a much nicer look than not polishing at all. I also spent time tonight and finished up the playfield harnesses I used purple power on these instead of bleche white and they cam out much cleaner with a little scrubbing, just hanging up to dry for now.

DSCN1620.JPGDSCN1620.JPG
DSCN1621.JPGDSCN1621.JPG
DSCN1623.JPGDSCN1623.JPG
DSCN1624.JPGDSCN1624.JPG

#10 10 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I did a thorough shop job on my Roadshow last month (nowhere close to what you are doing). RS is an awesome under appreciated game.

BTW, if anyone has plastics or the left ramp for sale, I could use them.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from kevmad:

Thanks for sharing. I did a thorough shop job on my roadshow last month (nowhere close to what you are doing). RS is an awesome under appreciated game.
BTW, if anyone has plastics or the left ramp for sale, I could use them.

I just bought a box full of supposedly unused RS plastics, so I will go through the box and see if there are duplicates, is there any particular plastic that you need because yours is broken ? or do you just want NOS plastics like me and could not find them hopefully the ones I have coming on Monday are unused, and most of mine are good just wanted new as possible so I will have some spares

#12 10 years ago

I think a good mod would be a better looking radio. Or even painting it.rs4.jpgrs4.jpg

#13 10 years ago

bought a new radio to give to the guy that is airbrushing red and ted to see what he does with it, if I don't like it airbrushed I will get the chrome one from pinballdecals but I think airbrushed will look good

#14 10 years ago

Since I am waiting on my pop bumper sockets because a vendor sent flexible ones instead, I started on the base cabinet, it is filthy took about 45 minutes to strip down. I started all the cabinet bolts in the tumbler and began stripping decals, the front and one side is done now with one side to go, then citristrip to get all of the glue residue off and start sanding.

DSCN1629.JPGDSCN1629.JPG
DSCN1643.JPGDSCN1643.JPG
DSCN1644.JPGDSCN1644.JPG
DSCN1645.JPGDSCN1645.JPG

#15 10 years ago

All tumbled post are in place on the playfield but can go much further as I need coil wrappers from bay area, side rails from taylor and pop bumper sockets should have all the mech parts Monday to start getting them ready to go back onto the playfield.

DSCN1646.JPGDSCN1646.JPG DSCN1648.JPGDSCN1648.JPG
#16 10 years ago

Wow! Just favorited. Will enjoy watching this come together over the next 30 (make that 28) days. Best of luck and thanks for documenting your process!

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

#17 10 years ago

Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing how it ends up...

#18 10 years ago

I look forward to seeing how this ends up, i will hopefully do mine in a few months. If you end up with extra sling shot plastics let me know.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Force951:

I look forward to seeing how this ends up, i will hopefully do mine in a few months. If you end up with extra sling shot plastics let me know.

My NOS plastics came in today and they are good so all of my plastics are available. Let me know which ones you need.

#20 10 years ago

Awesome work! I always feel like I'm doing a good job when I tear down the top of a playfield for a thorough cleaning and waxing, but this puts me to shame!

To anyone looking for a Road Show at the Ohio show, I may bring mine to sell/trade. It plays 100%, is very clean, but has some playfield wear at the fish from the scoop kickout. If anyone is interested, PM me and I can send pictures.

#21 10 years ago

Nice! RS is one of my favorite games.

#22 10 years ago

Did not get much done tonight but I put the cabinet decals on the head of the cabinet. These were the worst decals I have ever put on a machine nexgen are much thicker and better, one side of the head has a small crack in it from being folded up not very noticeable but I know it is going to drive me crazy.

DSCN1656.JPGDSCN1656.JPG DSCN1657.JPGDSCN1657.JPG DSCN1659.JPGDSCN1659.JPG
#23 10 years ago

The alignment marks on the decals were way off so I had to improvise a little to get them to look correct. I use Rapidtac for the decals as they make it much easier to align and get centered properly (cabinet has to be properly sealed or it will deform the wood). I then have a large thick ruler to trim the decals its big enough that it works on the cabinet as well, trimming should be done with a very sharp hobby knife, I use the kind I use on my R/C airplanes that resembles a scalpel. I received parts from BAA, EBAY, and correct pop sockets. Tommorow I will start assembling pop bumpers and ball guides, but I want to get my playfield rails before I put to much weight on the playfield.

DSCN1661.JPGDSCN1661.JPG DSCN1662.JPGDSCN1662.JPG DSCN1663.JPGDSCN1663.JPG DSCN1664.JPGDSCN1664.JPG
#24 10 years ago

Looks like its coming along nicely... Keep up the good work!!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from stephenshane237:

My NOS plastics came in today and they are good so all of my plastics are available. Let me know which ones you need.

My right slingshot plastic is the only broken one i have. But the one in the middle of the lower left loop, feeding into the lower left flipper is starting to wear. Let me know what you want for them, or however you would want to group them for sale.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Force951:

My right slingshot plastic is the only broken one i have. But the one in the middle of the lower left loop, feeding into the lower left flipper is starting to wear. Let me know what you want for them, or however you would want to group them for sale.

I will take pictures of the plastics that you need when I get to the playfield reassembly, just waiting on my new rails to get started, taylor reese busted these out very quickly for me and they are in the mail.

#27 10 years ago

Not much progress this evening other than finishing removing the decals from the base cabinet (I hate cabinet work). I also got the lower ball guides polished up and ready to install. Tommorow I need to start reinforcing the cabinet like the front corners that are pulling apart, and the spot for the rear glass channel.

DSCN1665.JPGDSCN1665.JPG
DSCN1666.JPGDSCN1666.JPG
DSCN1667.JPGDSCN1667.JPG
DSCN1668.JPGDSCN1668.JPG
DSCN1669.JPGDSCN1669.JPG

#28 10 years ago

Not to much got done tonight but I did do the structural thing needed on the cabinet were it was separated. I use gorilla epoxy to repair the corners, and rear glass channel. Don't worry about the screw to hold the cabinet corners together after it is cured I will remove and drill to accommodate two wood dowels coated in epoxy, have used this method a few times and it is stronger than the factory made it. I will get to most of the playfield on Friday and start prepping to base cabinet for decals, my playfield rails are coming tomorrow, also serial number decals, and cabinet warning labels.

DSCN1670.JPGDSCN1670.JPG DSCN1671.JPGDSCN1671.JPG DSCN1673.JPGDSCN1673.JPG DSCN1675.JPGDSCN1675.JPG
#29 10 years ago

Many years ago I had a beautiful Roadshow and sold it. Stupid, stupid me.
Terry.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Many years ago I had a beautiful roadshow and sold it. Stupid, stupid me.
Terry.

If its any consolation you supplied a bunch of parts to this one ! I think I have 1 more order from you for this game as well

#31 10 years ago

Well last night got the side rails from taylor, I must say these are the first rails I had made and I will do these from now on the extra rigidity from the oak is a big difference. I installed the pop bumpers, lamps sockets etc, and I was going to start on the mechs. If you look at the last photos I stepped on a prybar around the corner and was still working on the game until I passed out from loss of blood, I know, I know that was stupid but some stiches and now I am fine. I will get back to work on this today getting all the mechs done.

DSCN1678.JPGDSCN1678.JPG DSCN1679.JPGDSCN1679.JPG DSCN1680.JPGDSCN1680.JPG DSCN1683.JPGDSCN1683.JPG DSCN1688.JPGDSCN1688.JPG
#33 10 years ago

Yikes! Enjoying the thread, but seriously, take care of yourself over there.

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

#34 10 years ago

Ok so after my little accident last night guess I had a few too many beers, I started on the mechs today. I strongly suggest the coil wappers from BAA or planetary I use these on all restorations and it really makes the coils look like new. When I rebuild the pop bumpers I always use new sleeves, springs, fiber, and metal wafers. fThe mechs are just taken apart sprayed down with purple power checked with dmm, then compressed air to dry.

DSCN1689.JPGDSCN1689.JPG DSCN1690.JPGDSCN1690.JPG DSCN1691.JPGDSCN1691.JPG
#35 10 years ago

New wrappers installed along with new parts and these are all finished.

DSCN1692.JPGDSCN1692.JPG DSCN1693.JPGDSCN1693.JPG DSCN1695.JPGDSCN1695.JPG
#36 10 years ago
Quoted from stephenshane237:

Well last night got the side rails from taylor, I must say these are the first rails I had made and I will do these from now on the extra rigidity from the oak is a big difference. I installed the pop bumpers, lamps sockets etc, and I was going to start on the mechs. If you look at the last photos I stepped on a prybar around the corner and was still working on the game until I passed out from loss of blood, I know, I know that was stupid but some stiches and now I am fine. I will get back to work on this today getting all the mechs done.

Glad to be a small part of your project. Looking good.

#37 10 years ago

Both bottom flipper were fully rebuilt and ready as well, I always replace the white flipper sleeve when doing these as well.

DSCN1696.JPGDSCN1696.JPG DSCN1697.JPGDSCN1697.JPG
#38 10 years ago

Installed sling, flippers, pop solenoids, and some light boards. I replaced the entire sling assembly as I have noticed even the sling bracket gets pretty wore out and it plays much tighter this way.

DSCN1698.JPGDSCN1698.JPG DSCN1700.JPGDSCN1700.JPG DSCN1701.JPGDSCN1701.JPG DSCN1702.JPGDSCN1702.JPG
#39 10 years ago

Rebuilding the loop kicker, and falling rocks diverter, remember the replace the small grommet on the lower side of kickers, and nyliners in all the diverters.

DSCN1703.JPGDSCN1703.JPG DSCN1705.JPGDSCN1705.JPG DSCN1706.JPGDSCN1706.JPG
#40 10 years ago

I cleaned up the 3 bank switches and installed new foam on the backs of them as they are in good shape except the foam. I hope to get back to the cabinet on Sunday I was a little sore to be moving a cabinet around today.

DSCN1708.JPGDSCN1708.JPG DSCN1709.JPGDSCN1709.JPG DSCN1710.JPGDSCN1710.JPG DSCN1711.JPGDSCN1711.JPG DSCN1712.JPGDSCN1712.JPG
#41 10 years ago

Impressed as always. If anyone wants this machine's sister, it'll be on sale at the show. Not at all restored like this, just clean and working, with some fish wear.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Impressed as always. If anyone wants this machine's sister, it'll be on sale at the show. Not at all restored like this, just clean and working, with some fish wear.

Thanks, Lisa this is my last machine to restore then I have no projects except for my TOTAN that needs a playfield so hopefully I can find a good project machine at the show to pick up.

#43 10 years ago

That's looking awesome!

Just committed to a RS that still has some of the plastic wrapping on the rails from day one!

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's looking awesome!
Just committed to a RS that still has some of the plastic wrapping on the rails from day one!

It is actually a great game I could not find one nice enough to leave alone so I now have a very expensive RS that is still in many pieces. That is a great find on a RS with very little use congratulations!

#45 10 years ago

Great reading, I've got a RS project waiting for my attention. This thread will be my guide, just have to find a few more parts.

#46 10 years ago

No other projects? Bah. Wish we hadn't sold all our AFMs - that would be a good one. Did you do a ST: TNG yet?

#47 10 years ago

I'll post pics when I get it

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

No other projects? Bah. Wish we hadn't sold all our AFMs - that would be a good one. Did you do a ST: TNG yet?

I should have bought your AFM when I had the chance looking for funhouse, or TAF for the next one

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

Great reading, I've got a RS project waiting for my attention. This thread will be my guide, just have to find a few more parts.

I might have some spare parts left let me know what you need I might have them.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'll post pics when I get it

I would like to see them

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roadshow-pinball-full-restoration-for-ohio-show-in-30-days and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.