• Latest reply 10 months ago by PinRetail
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

37ba0df884d1efe39fc6e2d793c845b49b145d71 (resized).png
#1 11 months ago

Hello, I have a Roadshow pinball that blows the F112 fuse. When I disconnect the J104 plug that goes to the fliptronics board, it will not blow. I replaced the fliptronics board with a new one and the fuse still instantly blows when I plug J104 back in. BR3 and all bridges are good along with the voltage regulator and capacitors on the main power board. All voltages at the test points are correct on the main power board. I've double checked all the ribbon cables and connectors for proper seating and connections. Would someone have an idea where I should check next?

#2 11 months ago
Quoted from Boo-Ya:

Would someone have an idea where I should check next?

Yes... check the schematics.

My bluntness aside, you're going to need to look at the circuit being fed by F112 and troubleshoot. I assume dead short if it's blowing that fast. Have you taken a resistance reading at the fuse to see if it's shorted to ground? Otherwise, do some circuit isolation style troubleshooting. Pick a point in the middle of the circuit and lift a wire, see if the short remains. Put the wire back in place and then cut the affected half in half and check again. You will very quickly narrow it down.

But before any of that, do a thorough visual inspection looking for loose metal, scraps of wire, broken wires, anything touching where it shouldn't be touching, etc.

#3 11 months ago

The schematics are actually pretty helpful for these kinds of 'trace down what's blowing the fuse problems'.

So, from J104 on the power driver board, it goes to J907 on the Fliptronics.

The four fuses on the fliptronics board feed the flippers, so pull all the fuses on the Fliptronics board, and if F112 blows without the fuses in the fliptronics board, somehow the bridge rectifier on the replacement fliptronics board is compromised. There isn't anything else in the circuit.

Add a fuse, apply power, add another fuse, apply power until you find which 50V wire is causing the problem.

This is presenting like a direct short to ground, so I'd trace the wire carefully, see if somehow it's pinched, the insulation worn off, or if the coil terminals on the flipper it's associated with are somehow shorting to ground.

Good luck!

#4 11 months ago

Any chance this ribbon cable is plugged in one row off at any of the board connectors? Also check to be sure the board header pins do not have any bent pins.

37ba0df884d1efe39fc6e2d793c845b49b145d71 (resized).png37ba0df884d1efe39fc6e2d793c845b49b145d71 (resized).png

#5 11 months ago

Thank you all very much for the help with this. After another close inspection, I lifted the playfield and I found a pinched wire on one of the wires going up the back. I was going nuts as everything else was checking out fine. Everything came back to life but now my eject solenoid wont stop firing? It keeps kicking all the balls to the plunger. I cleaned off all the diodes on both of the opto boards and checked the ball switch by the plunger but it still keeps kicking? Any ideas?

#6 11 months ago
Quoted from Boo-Ya:

my eject solenoid wont stop firing? It keeps kicking all the balls to the plunger. I cleaned off all the diodes on both of the opto boards and checked the ball switch by the plunger but it still keeps kicking? Any ideas?

Maybe you lost the 12Vunreg voltage?
F116 in the top left corner of the driver board is blown?
Have everything connected to J116 -118 at the bottom left corner of the driver board?

1 week later
#7 10 months ago

While you could have lost your 12v, and you should check the power LED's on the power driver board and all four small connectors in the bottom left corner of the board should be plugged in, (J116, J117, J118, and J119), it is extremely common for the trough opto boards to have problems.

Get a ball or two out of the game. Go into switch test. Put a ball in the trough, does it register? If so, you have LED power, but it's likely that an LED or two on the trough opto boards is not transmitting or maybe not recieving.

At this point, you remove both the transmitter and receiver boards from the trough assembly. I know this is hard on the flipper coil side, but cracked solder connections are very common, and you need to not only find out if the transmitter/reciever pair has a problem, you need to make sure that the solder connections at the jack are good. It really is easier to take the time and remove the opto boards.

With both boards in your hands, go into switch test, and align the transmitters with the receivers. Then 'skew' the board, and align opto transmitter 4 with receiver 3. This quickly lets you know if any of the optos are not working and you can work out whether it's a transmitter or receiver that has failed.

It's common for it to be the 'jam ball' opto at the tip of the board to fail, be bent to the side, or (rarely) dirty (I clean the optos with windex on a rag while I'm here).

If it's the transmitter (clear looking LED):

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5671-12731-00

If it's the receiver (black looking LED):

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5163-14114-00

It's common for the solder connections on these boards to have tiny cracks, so it's a good idea to reflow the solder taking care not to create a solder bridge and short anything out.

I use a little blue loctite on the screws when I put the trough opto boards back in place. It's a hard job replacing a screw that falls out due to vibration and the loctite holds it all together a bit better.

Let us know what you find!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roadshow-instantly-blowing-f112-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.