Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Brtlkat
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PDB_GI #5 Vio.PNG
RS-GI.jpg
GI - ribboncbl.png

#1 5 years ago

Hey there guys,

Was playing some Roadshow tonight and halfway through a game (while the shaker was going) the GI lighting on the left side of the playfield all went out.

I suspect that a cable may have loosened somewhere due to the shaker? What exactly does a connector for the GI look like and where may I find it on the machine?

Thankyou, Tom

#2 5 years ago

Search engines a good start. Type in your issue and press enter. Sounds like burnt gi header pins/connector on the driver pcb. Very common issue. http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/

#3 5 years ago

Check j120/j121 on the driver board for burnt connectors, replace BOTH with molex style housings and trifurcon pins. Fuse for that side is likely gone as well.

Common issue.

#4 5 years ago

Also look at j115 for burnt connector/pins

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Bubbatom:

Hey there guys,
Was playing some roadshow tonight and halfway through a game (while the shaker was going) the GI lighting on the left side of the playfield all went out.
I suspect that a cable may have loosened somewhere due to the shaker? What exactly does a connector for the GI look like and where may I find it on the machine?
Thankyou, Tom

Happens every once in a blue moon with mine. The shaker shakes loose a connection. I forget which one it is but just turn her off and push in the ribbon cables on the boards. Should get her going again.

#6 5 years ago

Ribbon cables???? They have nothing to do with GI's

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

Ribbon cables???? They have nothing to do with GI's

Misspoke.

#8 5 years ago

In this case (only left side GI out) it is likely J115,J120,J121 but GI and ribbon-cable do have something in common.
- data 0-4
- GI enable
- Zero Cross
- Blanking

GI - ribboncbl.png

#9 5 years ago

Mine has the same issue, only the left GI goes out here and there. I've check the pins and the are good. I haven't taken the board out of the backbox yet to check solder joints.

#10 5 years ago

Alrighty, cheers guys.

I had a quick look today and I'm just a bit unsure of which cable is the left GI cable? I assume it's on the driver board?

Thanks again.

#11 5 years ago

Yes, on the driverboard bottom-left but don't know the wire-color of Left GI

RS-GI.jpg

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Check j120/j121 on the driver board for burnt connectors, replace BOTH with molex style housings and trifurcon pins. Fuse for that side is likely gone as well.
Common issue.

Just a thought: If the OP is asking what a GI connector looks like, this info ^^^^ is probably going to be like Mandarin Chinese to a 6th-grade dropout from Pocatello.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from purplemunkydishw:

Mine has the same issue, only the left GI goes out here and there. I've check the pins and the are good. I haven't taken the board out of the backbox yet to check solder joints.

Having it go out every once in a while is a classic sign of cracked solder joints. Pull that board and reflow!

#14 5 years ago

Cheers zaza, that table helped a lot!

I found what is most likely burn marks on J121 (the lower of the two connectors) on the left most pin.

I'm just wondering what to do from here?

Also, what fuse would have blown if any did as a result of the burnt pin? The left lower-most fuse on that board (closest to J121) seems to have a break in it's filament.

Thanks for the help guys, this is my first experience with playing around inside the backbox.

Currently, photos don't seem to want to upload. I might try again later.

#15 5 years ago

Ok, from picture IPDB and manual it seems Left Playfield GI is GI#5 violet.
Found a great picture on pinwiki of this GI-string.
PDB_GI #5 Vio.PNG

#16 5 years ago

Cheers zaza, this is easy to read!

So the highlighted fuse seems to be blown and the leftmost pin (11) on J121 appears to be burnt.

What to do now? Obviously I need a new fuse, but how do I go about repairing the connector?

Thanks again,
Tom

#17 5 years ago

Very much depending on your skills, solder-tools and how much it is burnt.
The machine is 20+ years old and if connectors are still original, they can use some upgrade by now, Male and Female

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems

#18 5 years ago

Thanks zaza,

I'm thinking I will probably change all of the pins on the connectors.
Now all I need to find out is what sort of fuse I need to replace the burnt one with!

Cheers,
Tom

#19 5 years ago

The fuse is a 6,35 x 32 mm 5Amp S.B.

#20 5 years ago

Thanks zaza,

Now I can get cracking!

#21 5 years ago

Could have gotten cracking a week ago post #2 says the same thing, Just have to read some.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brook Park, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside