sol11 short (resized).jpg
99E3AB72-823D-4155-81EF-2A9A409EED96 (resized).jpeg
FA5F8F22-7118-4305-9E1E-845EC4A37C51 (resized).jpeg
test sol11 (resized).jpg
8529E70F-949F-40DF-9CF9-7140F8FEFC19 (resized).jpeg
97B54598-826D-4D1A-B915-DC921D677B13 (resized).jpeg
PDB Driver (resized).png
C1ADCA7C-22D2-441D-90B7-514DB79EAFBA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Q53 (2N5401) is a PNP transistor, it requires a low on its base to turn on.

Pin_Guy is correct. I was going from memory and thinking it was a NPN. This is what happens when you get senile, Sorry about that.

Quoted from SPARKY70:

Also which legs should be hi/lo on the Q54 driver?

The base (pin 1) will low when off and high when turned on.

Quoted from SPARKY70:

Can you please tell me which leg to test for the lo coming into the Q53 pre driver, and which leg to test for the hi coming out? Is it safe to test all 3?

The base (pin 2) is the lead that turns it on and off, high off low on.
The collector (pin 3) is the output the turns on the driver (TIP 102). A high on the collector means the transistor is conducting or a on state which will turn on the driver transistor. The emitter (pin1) will just have 5 volts on it all the time.
It is safe to test all 3 for the predriver, the collector of the TIP102 will have high voltage on it and should not be tested with a logic probe. It can be tested with your voltmeter.

Quoted from SPARKY70:

I am guessing that i could put my probe on J127 &129 to check if it is lo or hi if i am safe to do so.

These can have high voltage on them so they should be checked with your voltmeter.

You diode tested the predriver and it tested good but is most likely bad causing the driver to stay on. The best testing is done with the power on with the logic probe, in attract mode the base of Q-53 should be high and the collector should be low. If the base is high and the collector is high the then Q-53 is bad. If the predriver tests good then you may have gotten a bad TIP102, it happens.

#11 5 years ago

It does sound like the predriver is working correctly. Since you have the coil disconnected you should be able to use your DMM and check the resistance of from ground to the collector (pin 2 or the metal tab) of the driver. In attract mode the resistance should be @ .900 meg ohms or higher. A low resistance will indicate a shorted Tip. You may have just gotten a bad one. Always good to test new parts first before installing, but still not 100 guarantee.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

I then cheked the ohms of Q54.

Game in attract mode
Coil disconnected
Coin door closed
Dmm set to ohms
Black on braid
Red on tab
Reading was 4.20

Sounds like a shorted TIP.

Quoted from SPARKY70:

With coin door open:
my auto range gets about
1.6 Mohms on Q52,54,56,58

See sometimes they test good when they are indeed bad.

I still refer to my earlier post.

Quoted from SPARKY70:

Any time you have a shorted driver, you always replace the shorted driver, predriver and diode

Quoted from SPARKY70:

Am i testing correctly?? Im confused.
Thanks. Sparky

Yes you are testing correctly but different DMMs will give different readings so pick your favorite meter and get familiar with what it reads for a new TIP and predriver out of circuit. Check a good diode and note the readings too.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

Grumpy said that he always replaces the diode with the 2 transistors. Now i understand why.

Quoted from SPARKY70:

I will swap it out, and report back.

Swap all 3 parts just to humor an old man.

#35 5 years ago

How about a pic of both sides.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

What is the best way to make sure i remove enough or nuetralize to make sure it does not re-occur?

I normally use a Xacto knife to remove the carbon deposits. If you need to build up the board use some super glue.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#42 5 years ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

What is a good way to handle the solder pads on the rear since they do not have any traces?

You can buy circuit board trace repair kits that contain different size eyelets to make this repair.

Quoted from SPARKY70:

Also, the mask is partially missing on one of the traces (see pic). Is this a concern, or should i cover with something?

You need to decide whether this is a concern depending on each situation. If it does need to be repaired then you can use a green colored nail polish for small repairs, you will need to mask off the solder eyelets first.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#45 5 years ago

What Pin_Guy is saying is, the best way to hold the solder pad in place would be to install a eyelet. He knows that the original didn't have one. Now this may not be very cost effective for you to do this for just 2 pads, that is why I suggested that you can just install a pad and solder both sides of the board as this will give the component far more holding strength then just soldering the top side of the board.

#51 5 years ago

The coil resistance should be @ 22 ohms.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roadshow-eyelids-up-coil-stuck-on?tu=grumpy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.